Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
The pilot episode ("The Cellar") has very high production value, with cinematic look and feel that rivals most Spielberg movies. Like most time travel romance dramas (e.g., About Time, Somewhere in Time, The Time Traveler's Wife), the story requires a heavy dose of suspension of belief.

A successful execution requires strong chemistry between two leads and good writing. Thankfully, this pilot episode is saved by a great cast (especially Victoria Pedretti), grounded although non remarkable writing, and atmospheric cinematography. And both the music and songs are top notch.

Romantic elements are subtle but effective when called for. While the story is cliched and very predictable, I really enjoyed this pilot episode.

On a technical note, HDR on this episode is very effectively used. Blinding lights when called for, punchy contrast on evening scenes.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I just watched the first episode, and loved it! I didn't know what to expect going into it. Now, I'm mad because I want more, lol. That first episode could have very well been a two hour movie.

Reactions: Brenster

Jxdawg

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2019
Is this a remake? I thought this was original. I really enjoyed this episode, and I think there will be even better ones to come! Gotta love that classic John Williams score.

Last edited:

stillcrazyman

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2014
Exile
I just watched the premier episode last night. I thought it was very well done. Predictable, but an engaging story.
I vaguely recall the series back in the old days... I'd have to look up the episodes from then. I hope the new series is not re-boots of old stories.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
Is this a remake? I thought this was original. I really enjoyed this episode, and I think there will be even better ones to come! Gotta love that classic John Williams score.
I could be wrong, but looking through Wikipedia's episode description of 1985 series, this pilot episode doesn't appear to be a remake. Many episodes deal with time travel, and some share similar plot elements. So deja vu is entirely warranted.

This series is by design anti-Black Mirror. "San Junipero" was my favorite episode, largely due to its more optimistic tone. As much as I like dystopian stories told well, pessimism is all too prevalent in today's TV landscape. So I hope this reboot is better received this time around.

Reactions: gkarris

Jxdawg

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2019
I could be wrong, but looking through Wikipedia's episode description of 1985 series, this pilot episode doesn't appear to be a remake. Many episodes deal with time travel, and some share similar plot elements. So deja vu is entirely warranted.

This series is by design anti-Black Mirror. "San Junipero" was my favorite episode, largely due to its more optimistic tone. As much as I like dystopian stories told well, pessimism is all too prevalent in today's TV landscape. So I hope this reboot is better received this time around.

One review mentioned that “Amazing Stories“ was lack-luster in a “Black Mirror“ age. I would disagree, ”Black Mirror” was just too dark for me.

Reactions: gkarris

zinacef

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2018
I watched the first episode over the weekend and enjoyed it. Can't wait for the others to air.

Side note- did anyone else catch those other weather apps that Sam had on his iPhone? I know the first was the default Weather app but wonder what some of the others were. I tried pausing the episode to get a better look but couldn't make them out.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
Side note- did anyone else catch those other weather apps that Sam had on his iPhone? I know the first was the default Weather app but wonder what some of the others were.
I think all 3 weather apps are fictional.

First one is too blurry to make out
Second one is Cedar Rapids Weather
Third one is Stormwatch

Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 12.33.51 PM.png

It's worth noting that Sam deleted (or moved) Tinder app from the first page.

Reactions: zinacef

Smearbrick

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
Central PA
I would agree that the episode did have very high production values, as well as a great cast. However, the story was a little derivative, and, quite frankly, a plot line that has been played to death.
Some nitpicks... the mention of the “lightning cable, specifically”... why? Why not “your phone charger”? Also... the brother being gay... why did that even need to be mentioned? It offered nothing to the narrative, as the brother was, otherwise, one-dimensional. His character was almost completely unnecessary to the story. I thought maybe they’d tie his adoptive child, or his husband into the story somehow since they nearly broke their arms to shoehorn those tidbits into the show, but nothing.

Regardless, of the above gripes, I’m interested in seeing more. And while I agree that shows like Black Mirror are somewhat dark in tone (duh? The show is called “Black Mirror”), whoever compared the two shows nailed it. The writers for Amazing Stories need to step up their game! I hope they do!

Reactions: neutrino23

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
I thought it was OK, not great. The physicist in me cringes when people accomplish time travel just because the air pressure drops a little. The other complaint I have is what with the earth moving about the sun and the sun zipping through the galaxy if you simply go back in time you would be deposited out somewhere in empty space.

I get it, this was not about time travel, this was a kind of a Hallmark romance story using some fuzzy Sci-Fi as a backdrop.

I'm spoiled by Back to the Future for any time travel story. I kept waiting for some geeky humor like "I'm sure in 1985, plutonium is available at every corner drugstore, but in 1955 it's a little hard to come by."

A bit off topic, Holy Grail has spoiled me for any movie depicting a king being crowned. "How did you get to be king? I didn't vote for you?"

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the next one.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Episode 2 is posted. It is called "The Heat."

Edit: I just watched it. I was confused which direction this episode was going in during the first five minutes. By the end of the episode, it was heartbreaking.

Wow! What a story that was! Very emotional episode.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brenster and Jxdawg

Brenster

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Thoroughly enjoyed both episodes, the first probably edges the second. I can see the parallels with Black Mirror (especially with San Junipero/BM and The Heat/AS), but glad that AS is lighter in tone. Love Black Mirror but I’m tiring of the grimdark on TV. 13yo son loved both episodes and is waiting for the third next week. And I’d like to second the praise above for the production values and the Dolby Vision/Atmos side - the storms raging in the first episodes were all around and above the room; demo level stuff.

Nice to see that the critics that savaged The Morning Show are also savaging Amazing Stories (looking at you AV Club). They’re nothing if not consistent ?

Reactions: nutmac

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Episode 2 is posted. It is called "The Heat."

Edit: I just watched it. I was confused which direction this episode was going in during the first five minutes. By the end of the episode, it was heartbreaking.

Wow! What a story that was! Very emotional episode.

i didn't understand the ending... at all...

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
i didn't understand the ending... at all...
I just started watching this series. Just five episodes in Season 1? ?
E1 The Cellar- It was ok, a nice romance, time travel is the vehicle, just accept what the story tells you. :)
E2 The Heat- Was ok, I did not get the ending either, the two characters realized love after one dies gives them a reset? And what did the other spirit do to gain his assent, just give Tuka some minimal moral support ie, I don’t have a clue either! Or was it putting those golden shoes on the memorial what did it? If so, why? :oops:

Last edited:
Reactions: Jxdawg

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I just started watching this series. Just five episodes in Season 1? ?
E1 The Cellar- It was ok, a nice romance, time travel is the vehicle, just accept what the story tells you. :)
E2 The Heat- Was ok, I did not get the ending either, the two characters realized love after one dies gives them a reset? And what did the other spirit do to gain his assent, just give Tuka some minimal moral support ie, I don’t have a clue either! Or was it putting those golden shoes on the memorial what did it? If so, why? :oops:

I guess the "amazing story" was that she was put back in her body and got another chance at life...

That other spirit helped Tuka out (a "felllow traveler") which was his task to gain ascension... she got him those shoes as a token of her appreciation for his help...

Jxdawg

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2019
I guess the "amazing story" was that she was put back in her body and got another chance at life...

That other spirit helped Tuka out (a "felllow traveler") which was his task to gain ascension... she got him those shoes as a token of her appreciation for his help...
Thanks for explaining it! Excited for tomorrow’s new episode!

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
New episode is posted. It is called “Dynoman and the Volt.” I will be checking it out tomorrow.

Reactions: Jxdawg

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
watched the three episodes last night.

E1: predictable, cliche, but acting was decent and enjoyed the story (even if not a new story). Some issues, some weird ways push parts of the story that didn’t quite fit well.

E2: confusing at first, acting was fine, but didn’t really care for the story—it seemed to push parts again that either didn’t feel they fit or felt too rushed.

E3: cute, fun episode with kid-centric heart. Acting was OK, story was fine but felt rushed to get the point across within timeframe. Cheesy ending that you could see coming.

I wish there were more than five episodes this season asI feel it will take about that long before the episodes start to really feel well done.

zinacef

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2018
Just finished watching episode 3 and, for me, it’s the best of all three so far. Really enjoyed everything about it.

So far in order of most favorite to least, I’d say episode 3, 1, and 2.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
New episode available. It is called “Signs of Life.” I will be checking it out shortly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.