Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
I find this show to be very bland with subpar acting. I kind of enjoyed the first episode, I did not like the second one, and I just hit pause on the third - the bad acting really sticks out on this one.

Jxdawg

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2019
I find this show to be very bland with subpar acting. I kind of enjoyed the first episode, I did not like the second one, and I just hit pause on the third - the bad acting really sticks out on this one.

I have to agree with you there...compared to other ATV+ content this one by far has the worst acting. I still enjoy it, and there are some flashes of decent acting (Sawyer from “Lost” in the past episode), so I’ll continue to watch. “Home Before Dark” being released this Friday may take my viewership away (or other Disney+/Netflix options).

Reactions: JBGoode

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
The season finale is posted. It is called “The Rift.” Hopefully it is good — will check it out tomorrow.

Reactions: zinacef

zinacef

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2018
The season finale is posted. It is called “The Rift.” Hopefully it is good — will check it out tomorrow.
I’ll watch it tonight. So far for me, the most favorite to least is as follows — 3 tied with 4, 1, and 2. Will possibly weigh in tomorrow where the finale fits in.

Reactions: nfl46

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
This is one of series I have been waiting for since TV+ was announced and I have to say.. I’m kind of disappointed. I only watched first 2 episodes so far. Episode 1 is .. kind of alright. A bit too easy a story but alright. But the 2nd episode is really really bad. It’s the kind of content we’re afraid Apple might do it with The Morning Show but didn’t. The story doesn’t make sense and yet full of cliche. I hope other episode is better, much much better than this.

Jxdawg

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2019
This is one of series I have been waiting for since TV+ was announced and I have to say.. I’m kind of disappointed. I only watched first 2 episodes so far. Episode 1 is .. kind of alright. A bit too easy a story but alright. But the 2nd episode is really really bad. It’s the kind of content we’re afraid Apple might do it with The Morning Show but didn’t. The story doesn’t make sense and yet full of cliche. I hope other episode is better, much much better than this.

Honestly, I was the same way when I watched the second episode. If I were you, I would suggest you go ahead and watch the next two episodes as they were good. Just good, not amazing mind you. We will be watching the series finale this weekend and I think that will probably determine wether or not this deserves the 40% rating on rotten tomatoes. So far it has been mostly underwhelming, saves a few flairs or creativity.

Reactions: matrix07

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I just finished the finale. It was really good to me. I could have done without Episode 2 and 3, though.

My final rankings are:

Episode 1 -- "The Cellar"
Episode 5 -- "The Rift"
Episode 4 -- "Signs of Life"
Episode 2 -- "The Heat"
Episode 3 -- "Dynoman and the Volt"

Reactions: AppleHater

nutmac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
I just finished the season.

Overall, I appreciated family-oriented take on the mystery/sci-fi genre. That is, each episode always end in a happier note, without dystopian pessimism that is all too prevalent in modern TV series. A throwback to the 80s.

Due to the time travel foundation, "The Rift" has a lot more in common with "The Cellar". For me, it didn't quite pull the same emotional punch as the pilot episode. And the mystery element dissipated early on, leaving only the chemistry between Lt. Cole and Elijah as the lone anchor. But this largely predictable story managed to work for me.

It was good to see Halt and Catch Fire's Kerry Bishe, but Edward Burns is mostly reduced to a cameo.

My score card and rank for the season:
  1. "The Cellar" (1st): 8 out of 10
  2. "The Rift" (5th): 7 out of 10
  3. "Signs of Life" (4th): 6 out of 10
  4. "Dynoman and the Volt" (3rd): 6 out of 10
  5. "The Heat" (2nd): 4 out of 10

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Haha, it seems like most enjoyed 1 and 5 the most. It still sucks that there were only 5 episodes. Then again, Black Mirror doesn't have many episodes per season either, but the quality of each one feels like a theatrical film.

zinacef

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2018
Completed the season and have to say I liked the finale (#5). For me, my rankings (most favorite to least) are: 5, 3 tied with 4, 1 and 2.
My only gripe with the individual episodes were that they should've been a bit longer as some felt rushed. Overall, I enjoyed the whole season.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Honestly, I was the same way when I watched the second episode. If I were you, I would suggest you go ahead and watch the next two episodes as they were good. Just good, not amazing mind you.

Watched the 3rd EP last night and it’s better, much better, than Ep. 2 so I will continue. ?

Jxdawg

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2019
Watched the 3rd EP last night and it’s better, much better, than Ep. 2 so I will continue. ?

Great! I just finished the series. If the season was a an episode or two longer and more like episodes 1 and 5, I think the series would have done much better than the 40% on Rotten Tomatoes...

Reactions: matrix07

Bromeo

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2015
Near Seattle
Guess I feel alone in my view of the first episode... shoulda been chucked into the bin as a rehearsal or re-worked. Obvious product placement, disengaged acting, improbable social cues / language for the period depicted... no amount of glitzy cinematic effects and triumphant intros make up for those transgressions. I love time travel stories, but I hope this isn't how the rest of ATV+ content goes.

Reactions: Jxdawg

Bromeo

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2015
Near Seattle
I tried a couple other ATV+ shows last night, Defending Jacob and HOME, and glad to see my disappointment with Amazing Stories EP1 was not representative of the rest of the lineup.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
It doesn’t look like this has been renewed, but when it was filming, I could’ve sworn that they announced that there were 10 episodes. I wonder if they split it into two seasons and are waiting to announce season 2 in attempt at rebooting the series as the first season didn’t get the expected reception.

I actually enjoyed it and I hope they give it a shot at connecting with an audience.

Reactions: Brenster
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.