Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
No question, but in Debauer's testing there is a custom card and its running hotter (though its because of the increase power draw).
Yeah I should have put "fine" in quotes because all the custom cards (especially the 3 8-pin ones) all pull way more than the "355W" the MBA (reference) cards pull.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Yeah I should have put "fine" in quotes because all the custom cards (especially the 3 8-pin ones) all pull way more than the "355W" the MBA (reference) cards pull.
Its a really bad look regardless simply because the XTX card fails to beat the 4090 and so they have to rely on value and quality as a differentiator. Nvidia had their own controversy but sadly, looks like AMD has theirs

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Its a really bad look regardless simply because the XTX card fails to beat the 4090 and so they have to rely on value and quality as a differentiator. Nvidia had their own controversy but sadly, looks like AMD has theirs
The 6900XT didn't beat the 3090, it more or less matched it in pure raster. We all hoped the top tier N31 was gonna match AD102, but it is clear AMD decided not to go that route because they likely didn't think they could match it or even come close.

The annoying part is it doesn't matter how well AMD does or doesn't do, these days folks just use that as a means to get Nvidia cards for a cheaper price.

Oh, and Vertical GPU mounts for the win (well if you are air cooled, water cooling for the win otherwise, lol).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The 6900XT didn't beat the 3090, it more or less matched it in pure raster.
I beleive AMD has been pushing to up their GPU game and not play second fiddle to nvidia just like how they did with Intel. The chiplet design, and other improvements in the 7000 series shows that AMD was pushing a lot harder to take on nvidia.

In order to move the people off of nvidia they need to provide, performance, quality and value. They're not really offering as good performance, and with this issue, quality is questionable - at least for reference cards. With Nvidia being accused of gouging their customers, the 7000 was (is?) poised to take them on, but its hard to consider them right now.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I beleive AMD has been pushing to up their GPU game and not play second fiddle to nvidia just like how they did with Intel. The chiplet design, and other improvements in the 7000 series shows that AMD was pushing a lot harder to take on nvidia.

In order to move the people off of nvidia they need to provide, performance, quality and value. They're not really offering as good performance, and with this issue, quality is questionable - at least for reference cards. With Nvidia being accused of gouging their customers, the 7000 was (is?) poised to take them on, but its hard to consider them right now.
Oh I agree, even though the XTX is cheaper than the 4080, the 4080 is a better deal (especially for RT). The 4090 is just in another league, and that isn't even the full die. They still have the TI waiting in the wings assuming a respin of N31 can actually threaten it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Oh I agree, even though the XTX is cheaper than the 4080
I'm waiting to see how AMD's mid-range cards come out. I think I saw January 10th, and if Amd's mid range stacks up decently against the 4070 I'll probably opt for that. Price is the deciding factor for me and I really don't care that much about ray tracing.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I'm waiting to see how AMD's mid-range cards come out. I think I saw January 10th, and if Amd's mid range stacks up decently against the 4070 I'll probably opt for that. Price is the deciding factor for me and I really don't care that much about ray tracing.
I assume N32 is going to be slower than the 4070ti, but may come in at a cheaper cost. Maybe the 7900XT will get a 100$ price drop, but since there is no reference 4070ti I am also thinking "real" 4070ti pricing will be at least 899/999 (USD).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
AMD Ryzen 7950X3D, 7900X3D, & 7800X3D announced. I don't think pricing was released, but since availability Feb, we'll see that sooner then later
1672920351932.png

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
AMD release the Non-X version of their 7000 series CPUs. These puppies are very tempting, I don't see any reason for me to get the X version given what I've been seeing in reviews.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
It is an "old" post but the Threadripper announcement is new (wonder if they will do a Genoa-X equivalent).
The post I responded to was old. :)

The threadripper is interesting, but kind of *expensive*, and too hard to get if previous gen threadripper is any indication. It sounds like it would make a heck of a VM serving machine!

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
The post I responded to was old. :)

The threadripper is interesting, but kind of *expensive*, and too hard to get if previous gen threadripper is any indication. It sounds like it would make a heck of a VM serving machine!
Yeah availability will be interesting for sure. At least this time around it isn't OEM only.

Reactions: bobcomer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.