Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Yeah, i don't trust his posts , he is a complete douche that will not help the community and explain how to get TB egpu working under Windows on the nMP, I have doubts about these results, and validity
If you meet a doctor at a party, do you try to get free medical advice?

Expecting MVC to do the same is similar. He charges for a service, and it would make little sense for him to give it away here.

Calling him a "shower" just shows that you expect people to work for free in order to help you. If you need for him to use his expertise to help you, ask him what the price is.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
Yeah, i don't trust his posts , he is a complete douche that will not help the community and explain how to get TB egpu working under Windows on the nMP, I have doubts about these results, and validity
probably holding back in effort to continue his mac gpu business via egpu.

unfortunately, I sort of suspect nvidia etal will be providing their own solutions / addons so mvc will have to try to compete with the corporatocracy

---
(full speculation ..in case that's not obvious)

Reactions: MH01

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
probably holding back in effort to continue his mac gpu business via egpu.

unfortunately, I sort of suspect nvidia etal will be providing their own solutions / addons so mvc will have to try to compete with the corporatocracy

---
(full speculation ..in case that's not obvious)

"etal"

et al.
abbr. Latin
et alii (and others)​

Who are the others?

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
alienware, msi, occulus, sony, et al
Have any of those offered free eGPU solutions?

Crickets....

And seriously, why would Alienware, MSI, or Sony provide a free eGPU solution for an Apple system?

Seriously. There's no ROI for any of them. Maybe it would make sense for Nvidia and that other GPU vendor, or for the companies selling T-Bolt -> PCIe expander chassis.

No sense for the Windows systems vendors. MSI certainly not - since they sell motherboards with actual, honest-to-goodness PCIe x16 slots. Why on earth would MSI support external PCIe x4 slot systems?

Last edited:

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
If you meet a doctor at a party, do you try to get free medical advice?

Expecting MVC to do the same is similar. He charges for a service, and it would make little sense for him to give it away here.

Calling him a "shower" just shows that you expect people to work for free in order to help you. If you need for him to use his expertise to help you, ask him what the price is.

You assume that I want his help, and in this scenario there is no service.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
Have any of those offered free eGPU solutions?

Crickets....

And seriously, why would Alienware, MSI, or Sony provide a free eGPU solution for an Apple system?

Seriously. There's no ROI for any of them. Maybe it would make sense for Nvidia and that other GPU vendor, or for the companies selling T-Bolt -> PCIe expander chassis.

No sense for the Windows systems vendors. MSI certainly not - since they sell motherboards with actual, honest-to-goodness PCIe x16 slots. Why on earth would MSI support external PCIe x4 slot systems?
where are you getting 'free' from in my posts?

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
You assume that I want his help, and in this scenario there is no service.
"explain how to get TB egpu working under Windows on the nMP"

That seems to be a request for help, at least in my native tongue.

And perhaps if you'd grace his PayPal account with a few rubles, there would be service.
[doublepost=1470278338][/doublepost]
where are you getting 'free' from in my posts?
HELP!

Seriously. I only see the forum as linear (by time) series of posts. I don't see any hierarchy.

What buttons do I have to push to see the "reply to" view of the forum?

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
So what's your point? Do you have one? Or were you just telling us you don't like a guy?

You don't like a guy?

Cool.

well given his link has zero proof the nMP is running a gtx1080 , and I said I don't trust the validity of it, where is the confusion ?

People are sensitive on this thread, though it's fun being told by others what I think.

So for the record I am yet to see solid proof the nMP can run an nvidia GPU via windows with full driver support . So if you have have That and want to defend the claims, please provide .
[doublepost=1470279002][/doublepost]
"explain how to get TB egpu working under Windows on the nMP"

That seems to be a request for help, at least in my native tongue.

And perhaps if you'd grace his PayPal account with a few rubles, there would be service.
[doublepost=1470278338][/doublepost]
HELP!

Seriously. I only see the forum as linear (by time) series of posts. I don't see any hierarchy.

What buttons do I have to push to see the "reply to" view of the forum?

It can also mean, provide evidence that he in fact has a 1080 running natively with a nMP.

While I have high respect for your ability to read minds and advanced linguistics, I don't infact need a egpu solution for the Mac Pro , cause.....I don't bootCamp, and if I bought a 1080, it runs under OS X via TB2

Have you seen any proof that it a nMP can can run an nvidia egpu under Windows with full driver support, would love to see a screenshot

austinpike

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
MN
So for the record I am yet to see solid proof the nMP can run an nvidia GPU via windows with full driver support.
I didn't peruse the full list of grievances in this thread, but FWIW this guy is running an eGPU w/970 on his 2011 MBpro. If it can work on that, I don't see why it wouldn't work on the nMP.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I didn't peruse the full list of grievances in this thread, but FWIW this guy is running an eGPU w/970 on his 2011 MBpro. If it can work on that, I don't see why it wouldn't work on the nMP.

From my research, most apple notebooks, Mac minis work with a egpu, the nMP though while recognising the card, throws a Windows resource error (12) , something to do with the dual 7970s it has.

Ive looked at forums where people are actively supporting each other in relation to egpu support for macs, and there are some fantastic individuals sharing ideas, and some being douche bags.

I'd advise anyone to do the research themselves and look at netkas.org , and they can determine for themselves the attitudes presented there.

From my limited time spent looking into this, some good people and support to be found here https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/forum/114-apple-egpu-discussion/

Though, as I stated I've spend very little time looking into this, and seems that some people here have over feathers ruffled , so I'll leave them to the Mac Pro bashing and I'll duck back out ...... ;) peace .

Last edited:

Roykor

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2013
It looks like MVC has tested Occulus Rift on two Mac Pros and it succeeded in both cases:

nMP 6,1 with added GTX 1080 via eGPU

cMP 4,1/5,1 with added Titan-X and USB 3.0

You need a eGPU (again a big extern box on your desk next to your cilinder, beside your external storage right? :) ) and you need to bootcamp to Windows because Oculus dont support OSX. This eGPU plus his own case cost serious money. I have seen prices above 1400 euro. I dont see the point to stay with an Mac Pro if you need serious gpu power and want to work with Oculus. Add 500 euro and you can build a very decent PC with Windows plus an GTX 1080 inside. Or wait for the Apple VR, if it will come. Nobody knows.. Apples lips are sealed. Like always.

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Say it ain't so Apple!

actually......

Just another day in the Mac Pro Schadenforum

When was the last time we got some good news in here?
Something we could all agree was beneficial for the pro market?

Here is some good news, the latest version of OS X 10.11.6 fixed many of my issues in FCPX and it seems to be working faster. I bought the expensive trash can two months ago and my work on some projects went from three days to one. That is good news.

Fixes are good news! Yes, it should be flawless out of the box, but it is what it is.

The Mac Pro 2013 was not created for gaming. Basically for fcpx and Logic Pro X.
[doublepost=1470315358][/doublepost]
Ask and you shall receive.

cMP BLOWS DOORS OFF STEAM VR TEST !

Literally off the top of the scale.

I'm going to dig the 6,1 out and try with the D300s for a laugh.

Currently it is camouflaged with some wadded up paper on top, I always do that when i leave town. View attachment 618035

Ha ha, now that is a good idea. No need to lock down the can when you leave, instead make it a trash can for real! Had a good laugh, thx

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.