Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xenobius

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 10, 2019
Any rumours on AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT support in Big Sur?

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^Actually not true. That thread was started three years ago. If you go to the last page you'll see mention of "Big Navi" which is the RX6800XT and RX6900XT.

Lou

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
They’ve supported quite a few graphics cards ahead of them shipping in a Mac platform.

That's true to a certain extent, but those GPUs, or at least the same family (e.g. Vega 10) were undergoing testing in pre-release Macs. With the Apple Silicon transition it's not clear if future AMD GPUs will be supported. We'll probably know more after the November event.

Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch

DFP1989

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
That’s what I mean.

And the Mac Pro has quite a few years of support in it yet, I can’t see them not offering new GPUs for it as AMD releases new cards. They made a big deal about the modularity, and already released a few new cards since launch.

I’d be stunned if they aren’t working with prototypes of these new cards.

Reactions: tevion5

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
That’s what I mean.

And the Mac Pro has quite a few years of support in it yet, I can’t see them not offering new GPUs for it as AMD releases new cards. They made a big deal about the modularity, and already released a few new cards since launch.

All of which had a Mac with an embedded Mac attached to them.

W5500 July 1 2020
https://www.macrumors.com/2020/07/01/apple-mac-pro-w5500x-gpu/
[ MBP 16" Nov 2020 5550M ]

The Mac Pro has an edge on the "done enbedded in a pervious Mac" rule where the new GPU is largely out of the scope of what the other Mac product enclosures can handle. The notion though that non Apple eGPU enclosures are driving more open GPU card validation or that open PCI-e slots in the Mac Pro 2019 are going to drive broader 3rd party card validations is probably limited. If Apple is doing it anyway then the support falls out to a set set of these "other implementation" cards that build off the same reference design.

The Mac Pro 2019 means they don't really need prototypes. They could just have an AMD reference board in the system to do driver development ramp work. Apple doesn't have to built custom prototypes to evaluate new ADM GPU chip packages much anymore.

A prototype suggestive that Apple will ship a 6xxx class MPX module in 2020 and close to wrapping up the final production specifications for the MPX module. Actually I'd be surprised by that. That is probably deeper into 2021 than many who are highly excited about the 6xxx series probably expect.

First, there are rumors that Apple asked for custom variants of the implementation. AMD's has other high priority products too. Mainstream models and pragmatically also the initialize launches of the console GPU (really APUs but relatively big GPUs attached .) . Apple probably wants custom and also a big discount so probably not first in line.

Anytime the other Mac Products having "laid the foudation" for the driver line of development the roll out is slow. The W5700X was coming real soon now for months after the Mac Pro launch. Same thing , different day likey for 6xxxx series also if it is not also popping up in an iMac Pro or something further down the line-up to boost the development priority order.

The iMacs picking up 5700 chip variants probably means Apple is in a monetize phase on tracking GPUs. Not really in a big hurry to peak new R&D costs.

P.S. a cherry on top for the delay of adoption would be a Mac oriented Apple GPU that soaks up more, but limited R&D resources on graphics stack driver development and testing. Apple added new Metal features for the GPU in the A14 and are likely to do the same for the Mac laptop GPU if it is incrementally different. All of that likely will slow work on 3rd party solutions incrementally. Apple will do 'something' with the Mac PRo 2019 MPX modules over time. Speed isn't a likely primary criteria though.

Last edited:

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2013
That’s what I mean.

Apple is in the business of SELLING hardware, not making it easier for you to UPGRADE hardware. If they can lure you to buy their next greatest box because it comes with X processor or GPU, they will do everything in their power to encourage it... to the point of letting their existing hardware stagnate. The Trash Can was the perfect example of a system designed to get you to replace it (and it was designed for professional usage). iMac Pro... ditto. Latest Mac Pro... sad to say it... yeppers... unless you intend to turn it into a Hackintosh going forward.

If you really want the freedom to rebuild your machine whenever a new toy hits the market, the PC platform has it in spades. Apple is going to try and circumvent you every step of the way on a Mac. Unless Apple sells a box with said GPU in it, odds are more likely it will never get supported or poorly supported.

AND if you believe some system is in the pipes that will use the new GPUs... remember this... the new iMacs that shipped with the 5700XT weren't supported in Big Sur beta and had glitches that had to be pushed in a unique update for that system alone. So the theory that something in the works translates to support prior to official release is a farce.

ArPe

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2020
Apple is in the business of SELLING hardware, not making it easier for you to UPGRADE hardware. If they can lure you to buy their next greatest box because it comes with X processor or GPU, they will do everything in their power to encourage it... to the point of letting their existing hardware stagnate. The Trash Can was the perfect example of a system designed to get you to replace it (and it was designed for professional usage). iMac Pro... ditto. Latest Mac Pro... sad to say it... yeppers... unless you intend to turn it into a Hackintosh going forward.

If you really want the freedom to rebuild your machine whenever a new toy hits the market, the PC platform has it in spades. Apple is going to try and circumvent you every step of the way on a Mac. Unless Apple sells a box with said GPU in it, odds are more likely it will never get supported or poorly supported.

AND if you believe some system is in the pipes that will use the new GPUs... remember this... the new iMacs that shipped with the 5700XT weren't supported in Big Sur beta and had glitches that had to be pushed in a unique update for that system alone. So the theory that something in the works translates to support prior to official release is a farce.

I think many agree that the 6,1 was under specced and over engineered and that the 7,1 is over specced in some ways. I’ve read quite a few comments from people who would be happier to purchase a mid tower Mac Pro with better base model GPU than a full tower case with weak base GPU, 8 card slots and a heavy case.

Last edited:

DFP1989

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
All of which had a Mac with an embedded Mac attached to them.

The W5700X didn't have an iMac cousin when it was announced or released. W5500 is a relative of that line of GPUs.

Apple is in the business of SELLING hardware, not making it easier for you to UPGRADE hardware.

That's certainly not the pitch they made with the 2019 Mac Pro, and I would be surprised if they didn't offer a W6900X at some point.

The Mac Pro 2019 means they don't really need prototypes. They could just have an AMD reference board in the system to do driver development ramp work. Apple doesn't have to built custom prototypes to evaluate new ADM GPU chip packages much anymore.

Is that not what I said? Prototype, reference board, whatever you want to call it, the card isn't out yet so whatever they potentially have will be a pre-release version.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Is that not what I said? Prototype, reference board, whatever you want to call it, the card isn't out yet so whatever they potentially have will be a pre-release version.

Reference boards ship all the time.

Prototypes don't. Can arm flap around that they are equivalent classes. They aren't. Shipping in large volumes and design finalized are two fundamentally different states.

DFP1989

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
Prototypes are just an early sample of a product, finished or not. The 6900 isn't out yet, any that are out there can be consideried early samples or prototypes since they won't be sold to the public.

ssgbryan

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
I wouldn't be holding your breath for one of these for the Mac Pro. Remember - Apple will have to design a board for the chip because Apple went with MPX connector.

I'll be picking up a 6800 for my PC on Black Friday. ?

Reactions: MisterAndrew

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
I wouldn't be holding your breath for one of these for the Mac Pro. Remember - Apple will have to design a board for the chip because Apple went with MPX connector.

The MPX bay design accepts regular GPU add in cards just fine. It also has a two 8 pin molex connections which can power 300W just fine too.

There is about nothing that Apple needs to build custom here to work on graphics driver software at all.

A down-clocked 6800 would probably work more than reasonably well in a speed bumped iMac Pro. (speed bump the Thunderbolt v3 controllers and would pair nices with the XDR monitors ) . There is no MPX hurdles to jump there either.

There isn't a humongus leap either from the baseline W5700X design either. GPUs packages are a different size but the power delivery/conditioning is a bit different . 16GB of VRAM. in both cases. 256-bit bus in both cases ... so layout changes minimal.

The aspect of the MPX module directly associated with the MPX connectro don't have to change at all if just keep the same two Thunderbolt v3 controllers on the modules. The PCI-e and USB feeds are the same. The DisplayPort v1.4 outflow is the same too. In that context there is abosolutely nothing 'new' to design there. ( might be some minor trace reflow to do but it almost exactly "same stuff , different day".

The large time sink here is likely doing the software drivers and that can be largely be driven with a reference card 'test mule'.

The big blockers for Apple are far less technical. First, motivation to do work. ( if going into another Mac then more motivation. If the whole Navi 21 family is just Mac Pro then 'kick to can' ). Second , Price. AMD is going to be able to sell every last drop of any working die here. Nvidia is blocked on supply (rampant product shortages ) . AMD has gobs of other 7nm parts to get out. Apple probaly wants some Scrooge McDuck discount price that AMD will just chuckle at for more than several months. Pretty likely Apple is at the end of the line for supply demand also.
( and the 6900 in particular is likely the binned , of the binned , of the binned dies. Kind of doubt that will make a MPX module just on pricing just won't fall much. )

I'll be picking up a 6800 for my PC on Black Friday. ?

If they are around. AMD's supply may be better than Nvidia's for the next 4-5 weeks but doubtful there is going to be gobs of excess. AMD sent out emails/notifications to suppliers to restrict to one-per-customer to avoid shortages.
AMD has pushed the 6900 back to probably free up some supply, but it isn't like nobody wants these so the demand will be initally low.

P.S. if the Cyptocurrency code and/or data has high hit rate with the "Inifinity cache" that will boost short term demand also. ( at least until AMD has a more computational focused card to sell them. )

Last edited:

ArPe

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2020
Why doesn’t someone like OWC make an MPX adapter so that a PC graphics card will be able to draw power from the extended PCIE power slot on the logic board instead of the 8 pin plugs?

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Why doesn’t someone like OWC make an MPX adapter so that a PC graphics card will be able to draw power from the extended PCIE power slot on the logic board instead of the 8 pin plugs?

Is that going to be any cheaper than just buying the Belkin cables?

Second going to be awkward if both trying to seat the generic PCI-e card into the same 'slot' as the MPX connector it would cover. You'd have to get the power out and "around" the lower body of the card being inserted. And then looped back up and into the same 8-pin power in sockets on the card you'd be using anyway ( is it really going to be any less a jump of playing 'Twister' then using the sockets plainly available (and already paid for)). You haven't avoided having some cables being present in any way.

ArPe

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2020
Is that going to be any cheaper than just buying the Belkin cables?

Second going to be awkward if both trying to seat the generic PCI-e card into the same 'slot' as the MPX connector it would cover. You'd have to get the power out and "around" the lower body of the card being inserted. And then looped back up and into the same 8-pin power in sockets on the card you'd be using anyway ( is it really going to be any less a jump of playing 'Twister' then using the sockets plainly available (and already paid for)). You haven't avoided having some cables being present in any way.

I’m talking about people who are into
modding and don’t care about some cost. You’re probably aware many modders remove the fans, heat sinks and shroud on graphics cards and put their own cooling set up. An MPX version would not only have the large MPX sink but also add support to draw power from the slot.

Reactions: xsmi123

ondioline

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2020
Apple is going to try and circumvent you every step of the way on a Mac. Unless Apple sells a box with said GPU in it, odds are more likely it will never get supported or poorly supported.

AND if you believe some system is in the pipes that will use the new GPUs... remember this... the new iMacs that shipped with the 5700XT weren't supported in Big Sur beta and had glitches that had to be pushed in a unique update for that system alone.
This isn't true. RDNA/5700XT support was added prior to any Mac being sold that included it, including the 5500m in the 16' MBP. The 5700XT could be used in an eGPU and Mac Pro almost a full year before the 2020 iMac existed. RDNA2 is already present in Big Sur drivers

Reactions: tevion5 and eksu

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Actually there are four 8 pin connections.

Lou

Yes each pair of 8-pin connectors provide 300w while the PCIe slot provides 75w so the stock AMD RX 6000 series cards rated for 300w should be no problem. MPX modules provide 500W of power so a future MPX will be no problem either.

Not to mention the 7,1 has a whopping 1.4 kilowatt power supply.
Screenshot 2020-10-29 at 17.25.35.png

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
Makes sense to me. They'll likely update the configs following the November event.

580X will likely get swapped with the W5500X as the base card, and the Pro Vega II could get replaced by the 68/6900.

Reactions: EvilMonk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.