Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vanjus666

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2024
Limitation is the Xeon processor missing AVX2.0 instructions.

Ventura and Sonoma are compiled to require the usage of AVX2.0 with GPU drivers, so, no NAVI GPUs with the combo of Ventura/Sonoma and MacPro3,1/5,1/6,1.

So, yes, currently the newest macOS release that can run a NAVI GPU is Monterey.
I have reinstall Monterey and GPU RX 6600 work! Now i have problem with WIFI. I tried reset PRAM few times, i tried to instal OCLP Post-install patch, and nothing works.

Can anyone help me, please?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I have reinstall Monterey and GPU RX 6600 work! Now i have problem with WIFI. I tried reset PRAM few times, i tried to instal OCLP Post-install patch, and nothing works.

Can anyone help me, please?

This is the thread for issues with OCLP/Monterey:

MacINCheez

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2024
By design, the Mac Pro EFI BootROM uses UGA (an older standard) for screen output. Mac-compatible cards provide UGA, which lets you see the native boot picker and the early boot screens (before MacOS loads). Without a UGA-compatible card (i.e. with non-Mac/PC cards), you'll see a black screen until something loads a driver that can speak to your video card - that's typically either OpenCore or MacOS itself. OpenCore loads early enough that the native screens aren't really necessary. As I understand it (I've never looked at an MVC card), MVC patches their cards to include UGA support, so you can use the native boot picker and see the boot screens immediately, without the need for OpenCore. (And, in the case of the RX6x00 cards, they've presumably fixed the same AMD bug that my patch fixes.)

Unfortunately, yes. As @tsialex correctly points out, you can't boot a cMP with an unpatched RX6x00 card in it; the card's initialization code contains a bug that prevents booting (fixing that is the whole point of my patch!). So, if you're using software flashing, you'll need to do that on a non-Mac PC.

To simplify things, I've attached a Windows version of the FixRX6x00 patcher program. It's still a command-line program (no GUI), same instructions as the MacOS version in my previous post. At least this way, there's less shuffling back and forth between systems.

Your Python script has a problem. It complains about the EFI ROM not being the last image, but that's not a requirement for EFI option ROMs. In this case, the x86_64 EFI code appears before the ARM64 EFI code - but in the output from your script, the ARM64 code gets removed. Also, while I don't have an RX6900XT to test with, I can state that GOP is most definitely provided by the card's original ROM.

Correct. As I said in my original post, @caingraywood was using a hardware flasher (I think he said it was an RT809F). I don't know his methodology - he may have been flashing in situ, or he may have been physically replacing the chips. In any case, he wasn't using software flashing. Since a cMP can't even POST with an unpatched RX6x00 card, it's necessary to flash it using either a PC (Windows/Linux) or a hardware flasher (or, I suppose, a MP7,1?).

To help simplify things, I pulled all of the RX6600/6600XT/6800/6800XT/6900XT ROMs from TechPowerup, patched them, and have attached them to this post. However, be advised that patching the ROM that came with your particular card will almost always be the better choice. Use the attached ROM images at your own risk. If you choose to use one of the attached ROM images, verify that the make/model and version number matches your card.
Hello..I have an AMD RADEON RX6650XT..which ROM you think would be the best to flash it? thanks

Last edited:

lancemcv1

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2010
Question, I just got a 7,1 and I replaced the 5500X with my Sonnet rx6800XT flashed with Syncretics patch because it used to be in my 5,1. When the GPU hits about 64c when playing a 4k youtube video or doing any work the fans kick up to about 1800rpm then back down after a few minutes then it happens again on and off all day. It happens in both in Windows 11 and Mac OS Monterey. Is this normal behavior? Anyone else with this happening? its quite audible. I don't remember it doing this when I first got the GPU. It looks clean and dust free but it is a couple of years old now.

Last edited:

Gustav Holdoff

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2020
AMD HIP ray tracing is available for windows (and machine learning- with stable diffusion)

has anyone tried it yet?
I’m not an expert, I just installed it,
the GPU rendering speed was about 30% better in blender,
and 30% worse in twinmotion.
It’s probably just that the installation for non-expert users doesn’t work well, and the expert installation requires some complex commands

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.