Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
The second advert is shown all over the United Kingdom, not just in England.

Applespider

macrumors G4
But it is in an English accent so I think he can be excused.

I'm Scottish too and get as annoyed as the next Scot over the media doing the English/Scottish/British bit at times but when it's entirely unintentional and an individual on a forum, perhaps it's time to drop the parochialism. It's really not good for getting rid of the Scottish whingers image. ;)

sk8mash

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 1, 2007
England
But it is in an English accent so I think he can be excused.

I'm Scottish too and get as annoyed as the next Scot over the media doing the English/Scottish/British bit at times but when it's entirely unintentional and an individual on a forum, perhaps it's time to drop the parochialism. It's really not good for getting rid of the Scottish whingers image. ;)

yeah, sorry I didn't even know that it was the same ad as shown in Scotland. Didn't think abut it to be honest.

Brianstorm91

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2007
Cambridge, UK

I'm English and get really annoyed with whining Scots; embrace the UK (we're paying your student fees) ;) :)

Back on topic, I prefer our one.

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
Furthermore, we Colonists in the States typically just lump you in as "Europeans". Now, take that "brick inside of a glove" slap to the face. :D

On topic, some adverts for specific regions are vastly different in order to match cultural nuances. By comparison, this a miniscule change.

peterhenley

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2008
Here's a Scottish version then: Awwaaaaay wi' ya Willie, it's foooonallly 'ere, the AwaytheNooiPhone.....too bad wi won't buy oon, since we're tooo tight up here.....

tallyho

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2004
UK
American version "half the price"
British version "a surprisingly low price"
Hmm...
Plus the British version sounds better to us because we're British. Wonder if there are New Zealand or Australian versions...

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
For the forum going crowd they could have yet another version. It would simply have a voice-over that says "Hi, I'm Steve Jobs. We have a new Apple product being released on July 11th. I don't need to tell you what it is, how much it costs, or how it will make your life better than it is today. All you need to know is the date and time. Now get there early, get in line, shut up, and have your wallet ready."

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
My point is nothing to do with Scotland or England, it's the fact that it riles me that people will always say "I'm English" before they say "I'm British" or they'll say "I'm from Northern Ireland" before they say "I'm from the UK".

We are all residents of the same country - the United Kingdom.

winstano

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2005

The British price isn't half the original price though... I can't remember what price o2 sold the original for to clear their stocks, but either way, £100 is less than half (I think?)

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
The British price isn't half the original price though... I can't remember what price o2 sold the original for to clear their stocks, but either way, £100 is less than half (I think?)

The 8GB model was £269 but then dropped to £169 for a while.

I really resent this idea because the minimum you have to pay to get an iPhone 3G is £639 (£99+30x18). Same goes for AT&T, the "Half Original Price" analogy is stupid because you end up paying more by the end of the contract.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
Hmm...
Plus the British version sounds better to us because we're British. Wonder if there are New Zealand or Australian versions...

The British one only says a surprisingly low price, as the old iPhone was only £169, and the new one is £99, so not half price.

Loopy65

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2008
Wales, UK
For the forum going crowd they could have yet another version. It would simply have a voice-over that says "Hi, I'm Steve Jobs. We have a new Apple product being released on July 11th. I don't need to tell you what it is, how much it costs, or how it will make your life better than it is today. All you need to know is the date and time. Now get there early, get in line, shut up, and have your wallet ready."

Lol so true and I'd be one of the ones in line!!

Loopy

winstano

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2005

I really resent this idea because the minimum you have to pay to get an iPhone 3G is £639 (£99+30x18). Same goes for AT&T, the "Half Original Price" analogy is stupid because you end up paying more by the end of the contract.

Cheers, I knew they dropped it but couldn't remember how much by, all I remembered was the £269 forked out in Nov :eek:

It's kinda the same with any phone though... "The new HTC Touch Diamond, free on contract"... At £35 a month. It's the same with any phone, the initial price is all that really matters to people, the contract prices are a given. I don't think there'd be too many people moaning that you pay £100 and get an iPod as well as a phone for the same contract price as the HTC...

I do admire o2 for not following AT&T's route though and keeping the contract prices the same, and allowing some users to upgrade for free, the rest for the price of the handset...

tallyho

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2004
UK
My point is nothing to do with Scotland or England, it's the fact that it riles me that people will always say "I'm English" before they say "I'm British" or they'll say "I'm from Northern Ireland" before they say "I'm from the UK".

I live in Edinburgh and there's a big bit of graffiti I walk past every day that says "Scottish not British"... I'm not sure that people from England *do* say "I'm English" before "I'm British", but a lot of Scots do say "I'm Scottish" before "I'm British". Given I'm half Scottish and half English I'm just confused :eek:

sk8mash

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 1, 2007
England

If someone was to ask me, I would say I'm English. Im not really sure I get your point, but isn't it like saying the name of the town you live in rather than the county when someone asks? Saying Im English seems a bit more accurate than saying i'm British. Have I misunderstood?

peterhenley

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2008

Stop resenting and get a life! Don't buy one if you don't like the terms...no one is forcing you...btw, you have 18 month contracts, we have 24 months, so you should be running outside, in the rain to celebrate!
:(:D;):eek:

sk8mash

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 1, 2007
England
Stop resenting and get a life! Don't buy one if you don't like the terms...no one is forcing you...btw, you have 18 month contracts, we have 24 months, so you should be running outside, in the rain to celebrate!
:(:D;):eek:

He is only resenting Apples analogy...

peterhenley

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2008
He is only resenting Apples analogy...

But the basis for his resentment is all wrong. All advanced phones/PDAs have similar t&c's. What he really should be doing is a TCO comparison - total cost of ownership. It's a fundamental business arithmetic tool to work out what it will cost you to own a pretty toy. Initial cost + monthly fee over life of lease/contract.

peterhenley

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2008
If someone was to ask me, I would say I'm English. Im not really sure I get your point, but isn't it like saying the name of the town you live in rather than the county when someone asks? Saying Im English seems a bit more accurate than saying i'm British. Have I misunderstood?

While we're in a pedantic mood, I've met more Scots who say they are Scottish before they say "British". If you're from England, what's wrong with saying that? And why do you have multiple names for the same piece of land mass? Great Britain, United Kingdom, EnglandScotlandWalesNorthernIreland. Brits say they're "British" when visiting the US, to confer a certain superiority on the native colonials....

peterhenley

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2008
I live in Edinburgh and there's a big bit of graffiti I walk past every day that says "Scottish not British"... I'm not sure that people from England *do* say "I'm English" before "I'm British", but a lot of Scots do say "I'm Scottish" before "I'm British". Given I'm half Scottish and half English I'm just confused :eek:

Is it true there's a grass roots movement in England to rebuild Hadrian's Wall? Or is that just an urban myth?
:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.