Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
I use MyWi on my iPhone 3G and it works well enough. It's buggy to get started, but once it running, it's very fast. Obviously this is not a supported solution and may be in violation of your contract.

But my iPhone 3G is getting long in the tooth and I'm due for a new phone. while the leaked details of the new iPhone look great, it's a deal breaker if it does not support WiFi tethering (officially or not).

The iPad is actually pushing me away from an upgraded iPhone :eek:

nasa25

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2010
canada
Yeah I will get the new iPhone, but now it looks like I'm gonna have to hold off on selling my 3GS until I can jailbreak and get mywi working on the new iPhone.

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I use MyWi on my iPhone 3G and it works well enough. It's buggy to get started, but once it running, it's very fast. Obviously this is not a supported solution and may be in violation of your contract.

But my iPhone 3G is getting long in the tooth and I'm due for a new phone. while the leaked details of the new iPhone look great, it's a deal breaker if it does not support WiFi tethering (officially or not).

The iPad is actually pushing me away from an upgraded iPhone :eek:

That's the same mindset I'm currently having...

Sure, I love the iPhone but honestly I now prefer browsing on the iPad as opposed to the iPhone...

And legitimately being able to tether would be "Sweet!" which is leading me to dumping AT&T..

Eye4Desyn

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2009
U, S, and A
Yes, so to break it down -
$99 for 700 minutes/unlimited text family plan - 2 lines
$29 for unlimited data on my line (required)
$29 for unlimited data on wife's line (required)
$0 for unlimited data on wife's line for 3G mobile hotspot
- 22% corp discount
= about $126 + taxes

With all due respect, all the costs you list above are recurring costs. With that in mind, not including taxes/fees over 24 months = a $3,024 outlay. Unlimited data @ $30/month on 3G iPad over the same time = $720 - not including taxes/fees. That, my friend, is a difference of $2,304 - not including taxes/fees :eek: That's quite a premium to pay for Verizon's reliability over AT&T's in your town. How is this at all attractive???? Am I missing something here?

To me, no matter how you slice it, the cost of admission for always being connected with the Wi-Fi only iPad is generally going to be markedly more expensive if you want to take it out of your house (assuming you have wireless internet in your home already) or a free hotspot at some fixed location - i.e. some restaurants, coffee shops, university library, etc. But like you said, to each his own.

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
With all due respect, all the costs you list above are recurring costs. With that in mind, not including taxes/fees over 24 months = a $2,995 outlay. Unlimited data @ $30/month on 3G iPad over the same time = $720 - not including taxes/fees. That, my friend, is a difference of $2,275 :eek: That's quite a premium to pay for Verizon's reliability over AT&T's in your town. How is this at all attractive???? Am I missing something here?

To me, no matter how you slice it, the cost of admission for always being connected with the Wi-Fi only iPad is always going to be way more expensive if you want to take it out of your house (assuming you have wireless internet in your home already) or a free hotspot at some fixed location - i.e. some restaurants, coffee shops, university library, etc. But like you said, to each his own.

Your post is a bit misleading BECAUSE, that $2,000 is for cell service as well..

Sure, for the 3g iPad, it's $720.. BUT, $720 on top of your cell phone bill, where if you have an iPhone with data plan.. You're actually going to be paying MORE...

Your argument is valid if you don't have a cell phone bill or a cell phone bill that is bare bones with no dataplan...

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
I'm currently using "MyWi" but it's not an "Officially Sanctioned App" so you have to worry about AT&T sending you a "surprise" bill or suspending your account..

Realistically, the worst they would do (provided you use under 5GB/mo) is bill you a tethering rate on your next bill. Technically they probably cant even do that much because the option is not offered on your hardware.
I've spoken to some people who work with the capacity planning for ATT, and their "current" position is to let it slide. Unless more people begin to exploit tethering, it's not worth the PR impact of banning customers.
All in all the risk of getting a massive bill is very low, but I'll concede that it does exist.

mobilehavoc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Ding Ding Ding!! Winner!

I rooted my Nexus One and now I have a free wifi hotspot!

Yeah that's an option too but again, technically it's against your carrier's TOS. They may never ever find out but there is a risk. It doesn't more than a high school level understanding of networking to easily see when your phone is acting as a tether using packet inspection, etc.

I know people personally that did this in years past and got busted. Definitely more that never did but it's a gamble. Especially if it's AT&T, they actively hunt people like this down!

mobilehavoc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
With all due respect, all the costs you list above are recurring costs. With that in mind, not including taxes/fees over 24 months = a $3,024 outlay. Unlimited data @ $30/month on 3G iPad over the same time = $720 - not including taxes/fees. That, my friend, is a difference of $2,304 - not including taxes/fees :eek: That's quite a premium to pay for Verizon's reliability over AT&T's in your town. How is this at all attractive???? Am I missing something here?

To me, no matter how you slice it, the cost of admission for always being connected with the Wi-Fi only iPad is generally going to be markedly more expensive if you want to take it out of your house (assuming you have wireless internet in your home already) or a free hotspot at some fixed location - i.e. some restaurants, coffee shops, university library, etc. But like you said, to each his own.

So you don't have a cell phone? :rolleyes:

That $129 includes 2 smartphones with unlimited data/texts on Verizon

ciaran00

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
This is a HUGE point, people miss. By relying on a different device like a MiFi or phone with tethering, you have a little hassle of carrying something else around BUT you are future proof. When 4G LTE Mifi's come out, guess what now you have a LTE iPad! Sure the 3G iPad can do the same but then the built in 3G is useless.

That's why I refuse to buy a laptop with built in cellular/3G modem...it'll be obsolete much faster than the laptop.

3G pad has Wifi too. Thanks.

People advocating MyWi haven't surfed for more than a couple hours, after which you have a dead phone. I still prefer making calls with what happens to be my phone...

My plan is to pay 15 and surf it till it runs out, then switch to MyWi on crappy Tmo Edge.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
3G pad has Wifi too. Thanks.

People advocating MyWi haven't surfed for more than a couple hours, after which you have a dead phone. I still prefer making calls with what happens to be my phone...

My plan is to pay 15 and surf it till it runs out, then switch to MyWi on crappy Tmo Edge.

If I'm bringing my iPad with me, I carry it in a messenger bag packed with a 5000mah external battery. This keeps my phone fully charged for roughly the life of the iPad's battery.
I think the bigger issue is that you are limited to EDGE, making the tethered experience frustratingly slow.
BTW - Even with light usage, 250MB will be used up in a few days at most.

Chris Rogers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
my house
I totally wanna do this, but I feel like I have such a huge stake in my iPhone (mostly apps). Good job Apple and hooking me (us?). I don't know what to do.

Let's say I get a Pre, I suppose I could just carry around an iPod touch/iPad. That's still 3 devices :confused:

A part of me says "Wait, tethering MIGHT become available any day now."

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
I totally wanna do this, but I feel like I have such a huge stake in my iPhone (mostly apps). Good job Apple and hooking me (us?). I don't know what to do.

Let's say I get a Pre, I suppose I could just carry around an iPod touch/iPad. That's still 3 devices :confused:

A part of me says "Wait, tethering MIGHT become available any day now."

I think you'd see a lot of upset iPad 3G owners if Apple added official WiFi tethering to the iPhone.

master-ceo

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
The SUN
That's awesome!

One of many reasons why I keep telling people I know not to get the 3G iPad. Although I'm living in HK, I tell my friends back home to get the wifi version. I got myself a pocket wifi (MiFi) device and the HSDPA speeds are faster than my iPhone 3GS. I'll get more battery life out of my iPad and I can share the wifi across 4 other devices. Importantly, the iPad won't be restricted to 3G technology this way since 4G is here and just around the corner for the rest.

my thoughts exactly! Great minds, I tell ya.

dennisjr631

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2009
I have been using my pre plus with my iPad for a week now. I love the free hotspot app. I just hope it lasts. It seems to good to be true.

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
I went to the Verizon store this afternoon and tested the Pre Plus Hotspot with the iPad and got a speed test somewhere between 7-150 kbps. The phone did say 3G.

It couldn't be that slow on 3G, could it?

ciaran00

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
If I'm bringing my iPad with me, I carry it in a messenger bag packed with a 5000mah external battery. This keeps my phone fully charged for roughly the life of the iPad's battery.
I think the bigger issue is that you are limited to EDGE, making the tethered experience frustratingly slow.
BTW - Even with light usage, 250MB will be used up in a few days at most.

In defense of $5/mo Tzones, it's still pretty fast. I can drive around and have the map refresh fine and pages load fast-enoughish... I can't complain. It's so cheap.

Interestingly... Mywi's the only thing that made my iPad useful outside in the car... this thing is such a connected device, moreso than even a laptop really...

Edit: By my iPad I really mean my gf's iPad that I've been "borrowing" from her :)

jaeguyoon

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2010
Sprint overdrive ftw!!!! Too bad doesn't work too well with the iPad which keeps asking ke to enter the password again. Other than that I've been surfing on my iPad today on 4g getting 6 Mbps download in the outskirts of Baltimore

myoldwatermill

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2010
I spent all day looking up reviews on the palm pixi plus, since it is so ridiculously cheap if you can upgrade.

The only concern i have right now is battery life, but with a car adaptor I think I will be fine.

If we can get some better confirmation as to have good the 3G speeds are using a palm handset as a mobile hotspot I think i might just pull the trigger.

heritagehog

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
Oklahoma
I have a 32GB iPad WiFi and I just recently ordered a phone for myself and wife to switch to Verizon (currently on Sprint). I pre-ordered the HTC Incredible (naturally) and I got the Palm Pixi Plus for her. The Palm Pixi Plus is $29.99 with free activation and free overnight. The data is $30 (which is required anyway and will be used by her no matter what) BUT the kicker is they are currently offering the 3G mobile hotspot app on the device for FREE (usually $40/mo)

This is nuts, I went with my iPad to a Verizon store and turned the app on on one of the Pixi Plus' in the store and within seconds my iPad was connected to the internet at Verizon 3G speeds!

So the way I see it, my wife gets a phone and I get free 3G broadband for upto 5 devices for FREE! I'm so glad I didn't get a 3G iPad now...:D

But if your using her wifi on her palm pixie she will not be able to get phone calls because simultaneous voice and data is not possible with verizon

mobilehavoc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
I spent all day looking up reviews on the palm pixi plus, since it is so ridiculously cheap if you can upgrade.

The only concern i have right now is battery life, but with a car adaptor I think I will be fine.

If we can get some better confirmation as to have good the 3G speeds are using a palm handset as a mobile hotspot I think i might just pull the trigger.

When I did was hooked up at the store, i ran the iPhone speedtest.net app on my iPad and got about 1-1.5mbps both up and down. That's probably going to be on average of what you get in populated cities although could be faster. It's fast enough for me being free.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
But if your using her wifi on her palm pixie she will not be able to get phone calls because simultaneous voice and data is not possible with verizon

it pauses data transmission to allow the call to come through.
I just went to verizon last night to look into all this for myself.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
The iPad is essentially the same device as the iPhone not like you'll be downloading torrents on it or anything so I don't see how AT&T could ever find out. It's basically the same as video outing your phone to a bigger screen. So mywi ftw for me. Also the warranty thing is overblown just restore before going in for service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.