Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aduntu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
Editing this post because I have no recollection of it. I must have done this during my first night with Ambien.

Eye4Desyn

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2009
U, S, and A
Your post is a bit misleading BECAUSE, that $2,000 is for cell service as well..

Sure, for the 3g iPad, it's $720.. BUT, $720 on top of your cell phone bill, where if you have an iPhone with data plan.. You're actually going to be paying MORE...

Your argument is valid if you don't have a cell phone bill or a cell phone bill that is bare bones with no dataplan...

There is some truth in your counterpoint. It just depends on the combination of which cell phone plan one chooses. Yes, I'm aware that one size doesn't fit all with regards to one's personal preference/needs for voice and data. My iPhone bill is a consistent $76.04/month inclusive of taxes and fees. I have the lowball service, as I'm not one to hang out on the phone all the time. 450 anytime and 5000 night/weekend minutes and 200 texts/month is all I need. However, if I could get less minutes I would as I have roughly 2500 rollover minutes in the bank. Nonetheless, it is suffice to say that anyone else on this forum with an identical plan such as mine will pay roughly $1,825 over 24 months. Add an additional $720 on top of that for unlimited data for an iPad 3G and that outlay is roughly $2,545 over the same time period (as we are yet to know what taxes and fees will be on this device for data). Again, the OP is looking at close to roughly $3,024 before taxes and fees over 24 months with his cell phone plan that can support a Wi-Fi only iPad. A difference of $480 or roughly $20+/month for 24 months. It's still more expensive than having the cheapest iPhone cell plan and just buying the 3G iPad outright and using unlimited data all the time.

So you don't have a cell phone? :rolleyes:

That $129 includes 2 smartphones with unlimited data/texts on Verizon

Yep, your right. So you could feasibly rationalize that cost as $64.50/device/month. Sure that looks more attractive than my iPhone plan as a single device/month, but I doubt most folks would look at it that way - it's generally about the bottom line. Now, if we get surgical about it, quick math tells me that at plus/minus $129/month @ 700 minutes for both devices = 350 minutes/device and therefore a rationalized cost of $64.50/month for 350 minutes. So VZ is giving the OP 5.43 minutes/$ of service each month on each device whereas in the plan I'm speaking to, ATT is giving me (and others with identical plan) roughly 5.92 minutes/$ of service each month. To me, that = ahead. Sure, not by leaps and bounds, but still ahead over VZ, no?

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
if you enjoy

carrying another device
Verizions horrible 3g
you phones battery dead
your wife running out of data cause of the 5 gig cap
no gps

then go for it

Mike2128

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2008
if you enjoy

carrying another device
Verizions horrible 3g
you phones battery dead
your wife running out of data cause of the 5 gig cap
no gps

then go for it

Carrying another device? Are you no longer carrying a phone due to your iPad?
What's wrong with Verizon 3G? Works plenty fine on my end.
His wife has an unlimited data plan. Mobile Hotspot has a separate 5GB allowance, but data use on the phone itself is still unlimited.

imacdaddy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2006
If you go into the Maps app while you're using MiFi pocket wifi, is it still able to accurately determine your position?

Tested just now.

My iPad was connected to my office's wifi and the position was a 4 buildings away. Switched over to MiFi pocket wifi, and was more accurate/closer. In comparison, my iPhone 3GS positioned me at the corner of my building right downstairs.

So if you're buying iPad for GPS, then iPad Wifi + 3G with assisted GPS will be more accurate.

For me, I don't need GPS on iPad.

erillanos

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2010
There is some truth in your counterpoint. It just depends on the combination of which cell phone plan one chooses. Yes, I'm aware that one size doesn't fit all with regards to one's personal preference/needs for voice and data. My iPhone bill is a consistent $76.04/month inclusive of taxes and fees. I have the lowball service, as I'm not one to hang out on the phone all the time. 450 anytime and 5000 night/weekend minutes and 200 texts/month is all I need. However, if I could get less minutes I would as I have roughly 2500 rollover minutes in the bank. Nonetheless, it is suffice to say that anyone else on this forum with an identical plan such as mine will pay roughly $1,825 over 24 months. Add an additional $720 on top of that for unlimited data for an iPad 3G and that outlay is roughly $2,545 over the same time period (as we are yet to know what taxes and fees will be on this device for data). Again, the OP is looking at close to roughly $3,024 before taxes and fees over 24 months with his cell phone plan that can support a Wi-Fi only iPad. A difference of $480 or roughly $20+/month for 24 months. It's still more expensive than having the cheapest iPhone cell plan and just buying the 3G iPad outright and using unlimited data all the time.

Yep, your right. So you could feasibly rationalize that cost as $64.50/device/month. Sure that looks more attractive than my iPhone plan as a single device/month, but I doubt most folks would look at it that way - it's generally about the bottom line. Now, if we get surgical about it, quick math tells me that at plus/minus $129/month @ 700 minutes for both devices = 350 minutes/device and therefore a rationalized cost of $64.50/month for 350 minutes. So VZ is giving the OP 5.43 minutes/$ of service each month on each device whereas in the plan I'm speaking to, ATT is giving me (and others with identical plan) roughly 5.92 minutes/$ of service each month. To me, that = ahead. Sure, not by leaps and bounds, but still ahead over VZ, no?

But he is paying for two phones not just one, his and his wifes .
Quick question for OP.
Is the mobile hotspot internet unlimited.
I read that it unlimited on the phone but mobile hotsopt gets 5GB cap.

ciaran00

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
Tested just now.

My iPad was connected to my office's wifi and the position was a 4 buildings away. Switched over to MiFi pocket wifi, and was more accurate/closer. In comparison, my iPhone 3GS positioned me at the corner of my building right downstairs.

So if you're buying iPad for GPS, then iPad Wifi + 3G with assisted GPS will be more accurate.

For me, I don't need GPS on iPad.

No clue how this thing is doing it, but:
-I have location turned OFF on my iPhone
-Location turned ON on my iPad
-Location seems to be very very accurate, albeit in a heavily populated location (san francisco), while I'm moving around in a car

myoldwatermill

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2010
I have now decided to go with a Pre instead. Gonna look into switching this week. If anyone already has a pre or a pixi they should post some of their very scientific findings of their speeds.

Also, apparently while the hotspot is free, you are still limited to 5gb. This does not count towards the data plan with just your phone. If the all is running, and data that goes out or comes in counts against that 5 gb.

imacdaddy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2006
No clue how this thing is doing it, but:
-I have location turned OFF on my iPhone
-Location turned ON on my iPad
-Location seems to be very very accurate, albeit in a heavily populated location (san francisco), while I'm moving around in a car

Yes agree that location seems to be very very accurate outside even with iPad wifi.

I was at an open area for lunch and checked my position on both iPhone and iPad. Both devices had my exact location. I figured as much since Mifi and iPhone are both 3G devices and maybe connecting to the same cell tower. Will test tonight on my commute home.

patp

Apr 10, 2008
Can anyone confirm the actual download speeds ipad thru a Pixi? If anyone in the orange county area of southern California can chime would be much appreciated.
I'm about to pull the trigger on a pixie but the download speeds are the deciding factor.
Thanks

cryingrobot

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2008
That's awesome!

One of many reasons why I keep telling people I know not to get the 3G iPad. Although I'm living in HK, I tell my friends back home to get the wifi version. I got myself a pocket wifi (MiFi) device and the HSDPA speeds are faster than my iPhone 3GS. I'll get more battery life out of my iPad and I can share the wifi across 4 other devices. Importantly, the iPad won't be restricted to 3G technology this way since 4G is here and just around the corner for the rest.

Also in HK and tethering from my Nokia but would rather have a separate mifi. What device are you using and carrier? I didnt know mifis were out here in HK as I have never seen one in the mobile store.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
Her phone, I couldn't help myself and had to get the HTC Incredible. This just means I have to make sure I take my wife along with me whenever I take my iPad ;):D

So, basically, your iPad comes with your wife. Sounds like a lot of baggage.

And why would you want an HTC instead of an iPhone? The iPhone is far superior. Why not just jailbreak your iPhone and get miwi, or whatever it's called?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.