Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

john bacon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2012
Yes this is a re-assurance thread. Do you think it's worth to buy an iPad mini for it's current thinness?

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Thicker display, MUCH thicker battery to get anywhere near 10 hours of battery life, heavier, bulkier.... hey! Its the iPad 4!

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
I am no big fan of thinner. Thin is good to a point and then you loose structural integrity.

Last edited:

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
Granted I won't know how much thicker the battery will need to be to get 10 hours but just as a quick note, the iPad mini 7.2mm and the iPhone 5 is 7.6mm, which has retina. Not a significant amount there.

I did see an article that said the iPhone 5, under continuous use, got over 7 hours of use. http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/gadgetbox/how-does-iphone-5-battery-life-stack-1B6102050

If you need to hit the magic mark of 10 hours they can probably do that and stay at or under 8mm

To answer your question, no, I wouldn't buy it because I think a retina mini will be significantly thicker.

Last edited:

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I am no big fan of thinner. Thin is good to a point where you loose structural integrity.

What?

----------

Hey OP, I just love when people make assumptions with no facts or foundation. The success of the mini will drive Apple to continue to create thinner retina displays.

As a result, these devices will get thiner and lighter.

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
i'm just using the touch as a reference baseline for thickness

Interesting... I didn't think to look at the iPod Touch as a comparison. From the 4th to 5th generations, it went from 7.2 to 6.1 mm in thickness. So it got thinner, even though they added retina. It was over 2 years in between those 2 releases so other advances contributed to the size.

If it's going to be thicker, it won't be by much. The iPad 2 was thinner than the iPad 3 or 4 and I don't recall anyone complaining about that (from 8.8 to 9.4).

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
What?

----------

Hey OP, I just love when people make assumptions with no facts or foundation. The success of the mini will drive Apple to continue to create thinner retina displays.

As a result, these devices will get thiner and lighter.

WHAT?

ZipZip
Sorry do not want thinner. You know what I mean, likely not.:p

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
but the ipad has larger internal space, too

----------

a lot of people complained about the thicker 3, including me

You can't please all of the people, all of the time. To me, .6 mm in difference, for a first release of a retina screen that size, isn't a big deal. Sure it's thicker but to gain the advantage of retina, on the iPad 3, it is going to come at a price. Again, my $.02, less than a 10% increase isn't a big deal. Maybe it is for others.

We don't know with 100% certainty if the iPad mini 2 will have retina (personally I would bet that it will), but with the advances in technology and when we fast forward 6 - 12 months from now, Apple will have been making retina devices for 2 1/2 to 3 years and hopefully will have figured out a way to make them thinner.

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
They might put a retina display on the iPad mini 2 but it won’t be the iPad 3 resolution. If they did it would have a higher PPI than the retina iPhone and iPad. I think they would use something like 1.5 times the resolution if the iPad 2. The only problem would be that the Apps would be have to be downscaled to the new resolution but they I don't think they would have to be redesigned. I'm not an app developer so I don't know that for sure. Anyway that’s my theory for the iPad mini 2.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
They might put a retina display on the iPad mini 2 but it won’t be the iPad 3 resolution. If they did it would have a higher PPI than the retina iPhone and iPad. I think they would use something like 1.5 times the resolution if the iPad 2. The only problem would be that the Apps would be have to be downscaled to the new resolution but they I don't think they would have to be redesigned. I'm not an app developer so I don't know that for sure. Anyway that’s my theory for the iPad mini 2.

no it wouldn't

it would have exactly 326 PPI which is exactly what the iPhone 5 has

it would also have the exact number of pixels as the ipad 3 & 4

the ipad mini has the same 163 PPI as the 3GS

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
no it wouldn't

it would have exactly 326 PPI which is exactly what the iPhone 5 has

it would also have the exact number of pixels as the ipad 3 & 4

the ipad mini has the same 163 PPI as the 3GS

The retina iPad has a resolution of 2048 x 1536. If the iPad mini had that same resolution it would have a much higher PPI than the iPad or the iPhone. It can't have the same number of pixels as the retina iPad without having a higher PPI because the screen is 2 inches smaller.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
The retina iPad has a resolution of 2048 x 1536. If the iPad mini had that same resolution it would have a much higher PPI than the iPad or the iPhone. It can't have the same number of pixels as the retina iPad without having a higher PPI because the screen is 2 inches smaller.

i think you need a math lesson

Akash.B

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
Yes the iPhone and iPod touch have retina, but that's 1136 x 640. The Mini would need a resolution of 2048 x 1536. Which would be powered by a bigger, power hungry A5X or A6X chip. Which would require a bigger battery. And then you have the iPad 4.

I think the problem could be solved if an A6 could power the iPad's retina graphics but it can't :(
Not yet, anyway

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
OMG. This is funny. Go here and tell me that you're not the one that needs the math lesson - http://members.ping.de/~sven/dpi.html

Even if you don't believe that, the iPad 2 and iPad mini have the same resolution, right? The iPad mini has a higher ppi because it's a smaller screen.

I'm saying the ipad mini has the same PPI as the iPhone 3GS and a retina version will have the same PPI as the iPhone 5

there's no new technology here

You're the one that said a retina iPad mini would have more PPI than the iPhone 5 ;)

----------

If the iPad mini had that same resolution it would have a much higher PPI than the iPad or the iPhone.

326 PPI is exactly the same PPI as the iPhone 5

Math people!

I'm not even that smart :mad:

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA

i think you need a math lesson

mjpearce is right. To go retina and keep the aspect ratio the same, the PPI will increase unless Apple goes with a 3rd resolution. To go along with with the iPhone 5 has, 1 of 2 things needs to happen. Either double the resolution from the iphone 5 to a retina mini, going to 2272 x 1280, which gives you a PPI of 330 or change the aspect ratio of the iPad mini. iPhone 5 = 16:9 and iPad mini, iPad 2, 3 & 4 = 4:3.

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
I'm saying the ipad mini has the same PPI as the iPhone 3GS and a retina version will have the same PPI as the iPhone 5

there's no new technology here

You're the one that said a retina iPad mini would have more PPI than the iPhone 5 ;)

----------

326 PPI is exactly the same PPI as the iPhone 5

Math people!

I'm not even that smart :mad:

I wont argue your last point

Do you understand PPI is pixels per inch? Resolution is not the same as PPI. When the inches change so does the PPI. There are some websites that can explain it better because I really don't have time to break it down. I would recommend you do some research before discussing topics you clearly don't understand.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
mjpearce is right. To go retina and keep the aspect ratio the same, the PPI will increase unless Apple goes with a 3rd resolution. To go along with with the iPhone 5 has, 1 of 2 things needs to happen. Either double the resolution from the iphone 5 to a retina mini, going to 2272 x 1280, which gives you a PPI of 330 or change the aspect ratio of the iPad mini. iPhone 5 = 16:9 and iPad mini, iPad 2, 3 & 4 = 4:3.

nope, if you double the ipad mini's resolution you end up with 326 PPI, the same as the iPhone 5's PPI

MATH PEOPLE!!!! :mad:

The mini has 163 PPI. Multiply by 2. you get 326.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.