Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
I wont argue your last point

Do you understand PPI is pixels per inch? Resolution is not the same as PPI. When the inches change so does the PPI. There are some websites that can explain it better because I really don't have time to break it down. I would recommend you do some research before discussing topics you clearly don't understand.

163 PPI is the same resolution as the 3GS. double that resolution and you the the PPI of the iPhone 5.

326 PPI

1024 x 2 = 2048

768 x 2 = 1536

that's the same resolution as the new ipad

basically, a retina ipad mini is an extended iphone 5 with the same PPI

----------

The ppi is close, but its not the same.

the iPhone 3GS PPI is 163

the Ipad mini PPI is 163

the retina iphone 5 is 326

the ipad mini retina will just be doubled to 326

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
nope, if you double the ipad mini's resolution you end up with 326 PPI, the same as the iPhone 5's PPI

MATH PEOPLE!!!! :mad:

The mini has 163 PPI. Multiply by 2. you get 326.

My reply was to your post that the other poster was wrong. They were right in that the iPad minis ppi will be more than that of the iPad 3/4. He is correct.

You cannot use the same resolution of the iPhone 5 because the aspect ratio is incorrect. You can't use the 16:9 ratio of the 5 on a 4:3 device without black bars. If Apple wants to go down that route again, they can.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
My reply was to your post that the other poster was wrong. They were right in that the iPad minis ppi will be more than that of the iPad 3/4. He is correct.

You cannot use the same resolution of the iPhone 5 because the aspect ratio is incorrect. You can't use the 16:9 ratio of the 5 on a 4:3 device without black bars. If Apple wants to go down that route again, they can.

it doesn't matter what the aspect ratio is.

when the iphone 4 changed to the iphone 5, the aspect ratio changed, but the PPI stayed the same at 326 PPI

you both are trolling me, i know it

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
are you insane? the PPI didn't change

You don't understand the difference between resolution and PPI. If the resolution changes the apps will have to be redone or they will not run at their native resolution. That is why the iPad mini has the same resolution as the iPad 2 is so that it can run the same apps without having to upscale or downscale them. The PPI is different on the iPad mini because it is 2 inches smaller than the iPad 2.

Last edited:

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
WHAT?

ZipZip
Sorry do not want thinner. You know what I mean, likely not.:p

Well huge people are not the majority and the majority will side with thinner and lighter. :)

A full size ipad must reach below the weight of a pad of paper or magazine before its in the sweet spot. AND IT WILL. Get on board.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
You don't understand the difference between resolution and PPI. If the resolution changes the apps will have to be redone or they will not run at their native resolution.

exact same reso as the large ipad

no change in native apps

Jayste4

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2011
Yr Blues is correct.

A future iPad mini with retina display could have a 2048 x 1536 display at 7.87" = 325.29ppi.

The current iPad with retina display is 2048 x 1536 at 9.7" has 263.92ppi.

You have two different ppi values, but the resolution, or pixel count, remains the same so apps would not have to be scaled up or down to run an iPad mini with retina.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
Yr Blues is correct.

A future iPad mini with retina display could have a 2048 x 1536 display at 7.87" = 325.29ppi.

The current iPad with retina display is 2048 x 1536 at 9.7" has 263.92ppi.

You have two different ppi values, but the resolution, or pixel count, remains the same so apps would not have to be scaled up or down to run an iPad mini with retina.

how did you get these numbers?

the current mini has 163 PPI, and doubling that gets you 326

the current retina ipad has 264 PPI, not 263.92 as you posted

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
exact same reso as the large ipad

no change in native apps

All of this junk about PPI and resolution started when it was posted that the PPI of a retina mini would be higher than that of the ipad 3 or 4 and you said it wouldn't. It in fact would. End of story. ITS SIMPLE MATH!

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
All of this junk about PPI and resolution started when it was posted that the PPI of a retina mini would be higher than that of the ipad 3 or 4 and you said it wouldn't. It in fact would. End of story. ITS SIMPLE MATH!

no, someone said it would be higher than the iPhone 5

I was like, shiggity diggity, what the hell?

I posted all of my MATH for all of you

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Well huge people are not the majority and the majority will side with thinner and lighter. :)

A full size ipad must reach below the weight of a pad of paper or magazine before its in the sweet spot. AND IT WILL. Get on board.

I do not agree and will be getting "aboard" your fantasy:p

MacPod

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2012
You don't understand the difference between resolution and PPI.

Actually, PPI is the resolution. Resolution specifically refers to the size of the pixels (it's right there in the name, resolution, or how much detail you can resolve).

However, it's also been used to refer to the absolute pixel dimensions, so its usage has muddied the definition. No big deal, except when people go all nutjob about it.

But, anyway, your point is nonsense. You are claiming that somehow the iPad mini cannot have a 326ppi resolution because that's too high. Utter rubbish. The iPhone and iPod touch have that exact same resolution, and they have absolutely fantastic displays. So from a PPI point of view, there's nothing wrong with it, they just have to cut the displays into larger sheets (do you have any clue how LCDs are made?).

But what if you mean pixel dimensions? They will be the exact same as the iPad with retina display, so again, it's been done and works just fine.

Finally, you bring up the wholly irrelevant topic of aspect ratio. Aspect ratio plays absolutely no role in whether the technology works. 4:3, 16:9, it's just the shape.

Honestly, you f'd up. We all do it now and then. The real test is knowing when to give it up.

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
Honestly, you f'd up. We all do it now and then. The real test is knowing when to give it up.

First of all you need go back and read who said what. I never brought up aspet ratio.

I said if the iPad mini has a retina display with the same resolution as the retina iPad 3 and 4 then it will have a higher PPI than the retina iPad and iPhone. If you don't get than then I can't help you anymore. Show me how my math is wrong, I would love to see it.

----------

no, someone said it would be higher than the iPhone 5

I was like, shiggity diggity, what the hell?

I posted all of my MATH for all of you

If you take the retina iPad resolution of 2048 x 1536 on a 9.7 inch display and shrink the display to 7.9 with the same resolution of 2048 x 1536 then the PPI will go up. Its the exact same math of shrinking the iPad 2 display and keeping the same resoltion of 1024 x 768. What happened when they did that? The PPI for the iPad mini was higher at 163 than the iPad 2 at 132. Do you understand yet? Are we going to argue weather 163 is a higher number than 132?

This is getting scary. No wonder every other country is killing the US in Math scores.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
This is getting scary. No wonder every other country is killing the US in Math scores.

i said if you double the ipad mini, you'll get 326 PPI which is the same as the iPhone 5

ipad 264
ipad mini 163
ipad mini with retina 326
iphone 326
ipod touch 326

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
Finally, you bring up the wholly irrelevant topic of aspect ratio. Aspect ratio plays absolutely no role in whether the technology works. 4:3, 16:9, it's just the shape.

How is aspect ratio not relevant? The iPhone 5's screen at 1136x640, doubled or not, you can't use it on an iPad, mini or full size without compromises. Have you used an iPhone 5 and opened an app that hasn't been designed for an iPhone 5? Have you noticed the black bars?

Apple could use the same 2048x1536 that is in the current iPads and it will work fine.

You're right, technically 1136x640 works. 640x480 would work too but consumers wouldn't like it.

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
i said if you double the ipad mini, you'll get 326 PPI which is the same as the iPhone 5

ipad 264
ipad mini 163
ipad mini with retina 326
iphone 326
ipod touch 326

Ok, I thought you were saying the iPad mini wouldn’t have a higher PPI than the retina iPad. You are right the iPad mini would have the same PPI as the iPhone 5. I still don’t think that Apple would want the cheaper retina iPad mini to have a higher PPI than the more expensive retina iPad. I went back and read your post again and you were arguing about the iPhone part and I was wrong on that. I was too busy trying to prove you wrong than actually reading what you had said. My bad. I’m the slow one!:eek:

Mogry

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
How is aspect ratio not relevant? The iPhone 5's screen at 1136x640, doubled or not, you can't use it on an iPad, mini or full size without compromises. Have you used an iPhone 5 and opened an app that hasn't been designed for an iPhone 5? Have you noticed the black bars?

Apple could use the same 2048x1536 that is in the current iPads and it will work fine.

You're right, technically 1136x640 works. 640x480 would work too but consumers wouldn't like it.

From my understanding PPI is all about how many pixel you can squeeze onto one square inch on the display of your device. It does not matter what aspect ratio the screen has. You take the number of pixel onscreen and divide it by the number of square inches of your screen.
-> You will get the actual PPI.

It happens to be that the PPI of the iPhone and the iPad Mini with retina would be the same.

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
From my understanding PPI is all about how many pixel you can squeeze onto one square inch on the display of your device. It does not matter what aspect ratio the screen has. You take the number of pixel onscreen and divide it by the number of square inches of your screen.
-> You will get the actual PPI.

It happens to be that the PPI of the iPhone and the iPad Mini with retina would be the same.

You're missing my point. If you use the 16:9 aspect ratio on the iPhone 5 on an iPad (mini or full size, retina or not), you'll end up with black bars. Just like the 4:3 aspect ratio of all the other iPhones, when you use an iPhone 5. There are black bars on the ends on the iPhone 5. If the 16:9 ratio were used in a iPad, they'd be on the top and bottom. This is when it's in landscape orientation.

MacPod

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2012
How is aspect ratio not relevant?
Please re-read my post. I never said it wasn't relevant, I said it's not relevant to the topic of technology limitations.

The points you bring up are valid, but have nothing to do with the topic at hand. It's taken as given that a retina mini will have the same aspect ratio as the present iPad and iPad mini.

----------

First of all you need go back and read who said what. I never brought up aspet ratio.

You're right, sorry, wrong person.

I said if the iPad mini has a retina display with the same resolution as the retina iPad 3 and 4 then it will have a higher PPI than the retina iPad and iPhone. If you don't get than then I can't help you anymore. Show me how my math is wrong, I would love to see it.

It will have the exact same PPI (also known as resolution) as the retina iPhones and iPod touches. And it will have the exact same pixel dimensions (also colloquially referred to as resolution) as the retina iPad.

I've bolded the part you get wrong. You need to learn when to give up.

If you take the retina iPad resolution of 2048 x 1536 on a 9.7 inch display and shrink the display to 7.9 with the same resolution of 2048 x 1536 then the PPI will go up. Its the exact same math of shrinking the iPad 2 display and keeping the same resoltion of 1024 x 768. What happened when they did that? The PPI for the iPad mini was higher at 163 than the iPad 2 at 132. Do you understand yet? Are we going to argue weather 163 is a higher number than 132?
It's amusing that you think anyone is arguing this.

Indeed. And also, one would imagine, in knowing when to give up.

Mogry

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
This is indeed true. Though in terms of PPI the space of the black bars do count nonetheless.:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.