Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lienmar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2015
i’m using them every day since launching day. i like everything about them (fit, convenience, battery life, case, shape, call quality at both ends, controls, ..) except the ANC.

seal is very good, fit test etc... but imo ANC is poor.

please everybody do the following test:

using the sub-menu from “ControlCenter | Volume | Long press”:
switch repeatedly between 2 positions: [noise cancelling] and [off].

(ignore the 3rd position: [transparency])

you will see that difference between NC and OFF is barely noticeable !! :(((

repeat the test in different noise environments.

Unfortunately the big noriceable difference is only between [nc] and [ transparency] ... which btw it is (when u first buy them) the default option for switching by long press the sensor.

hmmm.. quite clever by apple... that’s why most of people (including me) were so impressed at first and said things like “wow.! when i turn on NC it is a different world.”

will ANC can get better in time by firmware updates.? (does this makes sense technically?)

Last edited:

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
If it is barely noticeable, your fit is likely not correct.

As I mentioned in a separate thread, I was wearing them on a flight and the fit felt fine. The engine noise was quite loud. I happened to adjust the right one slightly, and suddenly the noise faded to the background. For ANC, fit is critical. It may feel correct, but it may not actually be.

farfromovin

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2015
Yeah, I think you have a poor fit. I’ve had about 4 other ANC type headphones and the APP ANC is definitely noticeable. The best? Nope, but if it’s hardly apparent you have a bad fit.

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
Yep, I listen to music for a little while in bed before sleep and have a Dyson Cool Me fan right next to me.
As soon as I turn ANC on with no music the fan noise is totally gone.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
It is definitely the OP fit. I used mine to cut my grass with my gas lawn mower, and it cut the noise down enough that I was able to keep the music level very low and still hear it.

It is definitely does not have as good ANC as my bose, I would say the AirPod ANC is about 80%-85% as good. It is close enough that for everyday use (not standing right over a gas lawn mower), it is all most people would need. My bose will be sitting on my shelf a LOT more.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
i’m using them every day since launching day. i like everything about them (fit, convenience, battery life, case, shape, call quality at both ends, controls, ..) except the ANC.

seal is very good, fit test etc... but imo ANC is poor.

please everybody do the following test:

using the sub-menu from “ControlCenter | Volume | Long press”:
switch repeatedly between 2 positions: [noise cancelling] and [off].

(ignore the 3rd position: [transparency])

you will see that difference between NC and OFF is barely noticeable !! :(((

repeat the test in different noise environments.

Unfortunately the big noriceable difference is only between [nc] and [ transparency] ... which btw it is (when u first buy them) the default option for switching by long press the sensor.

hmmm.. quite clever by apple... that’s why most of people (including me) were so impressed at first and said things like “wow.! when i turn on NC it is a different world.”

will ANC can get better in time by firmware updates.? (does this makes sense technically?)
Lol the ANC is fine. It’s not the best but for what it’s trying to do it’s fine. It’s an in ear design so don’t expect full size headphone quality ANC

dhowartr

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2008
Coming from headphones or in ear buds, such as AirPods, Sennheiser headphones, and Jaybirds, the APP were a revelation. Listening to Podcasts and music at normal volumes while in the office, taking walks on busy streets or on flights has been a delight. I know that there are better ANC headphones available (Bose & Sony come to mind) but for the size, weight, and convenience these are very good. As others have said, good placement in your ears is critical though.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
Coming from headphones or in ear buds, such as AirPods, Sennheiser headphones, and Jaybirds, the APP were a revelation. Listening to Podcasts and music at normal volumes while in the office, taking walks on busy streets or on flights has been a delight. I know that there are better ANC headphones available (Bose & Sony come to mind) but for the size, weight, and convenience these are very good. As others have said, good placement in your ears is critical though.
Listening at normal volumes is a big plus for me.

lienmar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2015
with no music or anything playing, the NC mode is almost no difference from the OFF mode !!

forget about Transparency mode or playing music because is misleading.

just switch repeatedly between NC and OFF with no sound playing,

Try this in several different environments.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
As mentioned already, if that is your experience, either your fit is not correct, or you have a malfunctioning unit. The difference between ANC on and off is significant, even with no sound playing.

with no music or anything playing, the NC mode is almost no difference from the OFF mode !!

forget about Transparency mode or playing music because is misleading.

just switch repeatedly between NC and OFF with no sound playing,

Try this in several different environments.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
My replacements arrived and I thought there was a problem as the seal test worked but I couldn't tell the difference between ANC and Off and I could still hear a lot of outside noise. I changed the tips for a spare set in the same size and they made a huge difference for the better so it may be the tips.

lienmar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2015
what was “wrong “ with the first set of tips of same size? anything visible different when u look at them?

lienmar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2015
As mentioned already, if that is your experience, either your fit is not correct, or you have a malfunctioning unit. The difference between ANC on and off is significant, even with no sound playing.

it is not the fit.
it is not the unit.

i’m using 3rd APP already, and tried all tips’ sizes. seal and fit is good. L size more tight than M, but both pass the “ear fit test” and feel hermetically closed.

other people experienced same issues on other forums.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
When I enable ANC there is a silence that is striking. Even without music. If you don't experience that, then perhaps they are simply not right for you. Thankfully there are many choices for TW ear buds nowadays.

it is not the fit.
it is not the unit.

i’m using 3rd APP already, and tried all tips’ sizes. seal and fit is good. L size more tight than M, but both pass the “ear fit test” and feel hermetically closed.

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
it is not the fit.
it is not the unit.

I think I know what you are talking about. I tried to turn this on and off while watching TV. It is subtly noticeable but I don’t think it was entirely meant to block everything. If you are on an airplane though, you can definitely hear the difference.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
I just put my APP’s in my ears and the sound of the heater blower disappeared. They will block out low frequency steady sound but, are less effective at blocking voices and random sounds in the mid to high frequency. If you want better ANC you need over ear ANC headphones.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Not even sure what you mean. I would say the same thing about Bose ANC. It is a weird striking quiet when enabling ANC.

The OP keeps saying they hear no difference. Your comment is more appropriately directed to them.

c’mon man.. u’re trying too hard..

lienmar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2015
i’m the op. u are trying too hard to have more (biased) posts than me in the thread ;)

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
???

But seriously, if you're not able to 'hear' the ANC, and you know fit is not the issue, and the unit is not defective, then maybe APP are not the right ones for you. And with that I'll leave it alone. Good luck!

i’m the op. u are trying too hard to have more (biased) posts than me in the thread ;)

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
People had the same complaints when Sony and Bose updated their over ear headphones. I didn’t notice any difference when my APP’s updated. I have the Bose QC 35 and Sony WH1000MX3 over ear and didn’t notice any degradation of the ANC after updating them. I think it’s a figment of their imagination.

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
I think the way ANC works is, the microphones measure the outside environment’s waveform, it then sends out an opposite waveform which then cancels out the sound. It works best on a consistent sound like an air conditioner or a plane. Something like a city street where there’s so many different variables is not going to work as well. It’ll work but you’ll still hear some sounds come through, albeit muted. Sometimes you need to hear a car horn though.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
People had the same complaints when Sony and Bose updated their over ear headphones. I didn’t notice any difference when my APP’s updated. I have the Bose QC 35 and Sony WH1000MX3 over ear and didn’t notice any degradation of the ANC after updating them. I think it’s a figment of their imagination.

I agree. I recently undated my WH-1000XM3s and noticed no degradation of ANC. Still great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.