Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
I think the AirPods Pro ANC is very good however, I have the Bose QC35 and Sony WH1000XM3 over ear ANC headphones. Do to them I was kind of unrealistically expecting more out of the APP’s ANC and was initially somewhat disappointed. I have accepted the fact that in ear buds can’t block noise as well as over ear headphones. I originally bought them so I could stream video on my iPad while my wife watches the TV. For that they work perfectly. I originally bought the Sony WF1000MX3 in ear buds because, the ANC and sound is noticeably better than APP’s. I returned them because, they didn’t stay in my ears well and weren’t as comfortable as APP’s. Over all, my APP’s are great and I will keep them. They are comfortable, sound good, ANC works and they work seamlessly with all my Apple devices. If I need more ANC I pop on my over ear headphones.

lienmar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2015
I think it’s a figment of their imagination.
Yeah.. probably all of them are dreaming... 300 people so far have same opinion (they clicked “me too” feedback button) and that thread about this issue is getting bigger on the official Apple discussions page.

basically same opinion: very very small difference between NC and OFF when not playing music.

stop comparing NC with Transparency because is misleading.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250887615

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
Yeah.. probably all of them are dreaming... 300 people so far have same opinion (they clicked “me too” feedback button) and that thread about this issue is getting bigger on the official Apple discussions page.

basically same opinion: very very small difference between NC and OFF when not playing music.

stop comparing NC with Transparency because is misleading.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250887615
Not dreaming some just have too high of expectations Of the ANC of ear buds (myself included initially). People on this forum are more critical of their devices in my opinion than the average consumer. 300 is a small sample Of the probably 10’s of thousands of AirPods Pro sold. Mine don’t pass the seal test but, they still work just fine.

Lyn2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
Maybe if the term “noise cancelling” wasn’t used then people wouldn’t be misled. If I read noise cancelling, it means I can be in a noisy environment without hearing it - which is obviously not true for earbuds. “Noise reducing” would be a more correct term.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
Maybe if the term “noise cancelling” wasn’t used then people wouldn’t be misled. If I read noise cancelling, it means I can be in a noisy environment without hearing it - which is obviously not true for earbuds. “Noise reducing” would be a more correct term.
Correct. Noise cancelling is a broad term that can be misinterpreted and I think that expectations are too high. Some users seem to assume that with noise cancelling, you are blocked off completely from the outside world but that's not how it works. I can still hear people talking if I switch on noise cancelling without any music playing. Noise reduction is a better description as that is exactly what it is and it works well. The test is to play music and you shouldn't hear anything above the sound of the music. Airpods 1 and 2 don't offer that if you are in a noisy environment but the Pro's noise cancelling....sorry reduction works very well in that environment.

Reactions: Otflyer

kmjo30

Cancelled
Nov 14, 2017
New Orleans, La
Mine are the same. When I got my pair on launch day I was on a work site with timber piles was being driven. Once I put them in, I thought the rig was turned off for repair. Before going into the gym, I put them in while sitting in my car. Thought my car turned itself off. Now after 588 update I can talk with my co worker from my office desk two rooms over. Something was def tweaked. They need to stop and just make an app with simple settings. I call support and that's all they can tell people is reset them. I told them the only thing that will fix it is another update. They went with the term noise cancelling so we will go on that term and not reduction. If you got a pair of APP after the update you may not had the chance to see what most people are talking about. It was def cancelling before now the update reduced that initial effect. $249 wasn't for reduction. Got to hold a trillon dollar company to their word. If not, they are just feeding us bs and we are just eating it.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
very very small difference between NC and OFF when not playing music.

If you notice very little difference between NC and OFF, there are two possible conclusions: (1) the passive noise isolation of the APP is very good, or (2) the active noise cancellation of the APP is poor.

What makes you so sure that option 2 is necessarily correct?

I think option 1 is actually the reason, and it can be shown in very noisy environments such as while riding the subway. In an average noise environment, the passive noise isolation is so good that the ANC doesn't need to do that much to silence anything further. So you don't notice a big difference between NC and OFF. When outside noises are very loud, like on a subway train where the loud noises get through the passive isolation, the ANC does do a good job of cancelling those out.

In those very noisy environments, there is a noticeable difference between NC and OFF. If option 2 were correct, as you say, there would be no difference in very noisy environments, but there is.

lienmar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2015
the issue of almost-no-difference-between-NC-and-OFF occured only after 2B588 firmware update..

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
I didn't notice a change in ANC from 584 to 588. ANC is just as effective. Today I bought a pair of Sony WF-1000MX3 ear buds to compare. The APP’s are noticeably better than the Sony’s Imo. I don’t notice hardly any difference in ANC with the Sony ANC on or off. I do notice a significant decrease in noise with the APP’s when I switch from ANC off to on. In both cases it’s without music playing. I’m convinced the APP’s are the best ANC ear buds out there. They are more comfortable, work seamlessly with all my devices and stay in my ears better than the Sony’s. The Sony’s have much better sound and a great app. I’m returning the Sony’s. I think the main problem with ANC ear buds in general is a poor seal.

Last edited:

GIBBI

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2018
I just received my APP yesterday and tested all of the plugs. Regarding to the ear fit test all of the tips seem to work with my ears, so I have decides for the smallest ones, because they feel the most comfortable for me.

I've tested the ANC with opened window and it was very good, but I just tested the ANC "on" and transparicy mode, forgot to that in the "off" mode.

Later my wife watched TV and I tested the feature again. With "off" I could hear almost everything from her TV show, but when I turned the ANC on (no music playing of course) the deep tones from the TV were gone, which means I could only hear flattened voices and almost nothing else like music from the show.

I guess this is the way it has to be, it is reducing the noise from my environment, so I can watch to videos or listening to music without putting the volume as high as it needed to be before there was ANC. :)

Or am I getting it wrong and the ANC should mute everything from the TV show in the same room?

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
I just received my APP yesterday and tested all of the plugs. Regarding to the ear fit test all of the tips seem to work with my ears, so I have decides for the smallest ones, because they feel the most comfortable for me.

I've tested the ANC with opened window and it was very good, but I just tested the ANC "on" and transparicy mode, forgot to that in the "off" mode.

Later my wife watched TV and I tested the feature again. With "off" I could hear almost everything from her TV show, but when I turned the ANC on (no music playing of course) the deep tones from the TV were gone, which means I could only hear flattened voices and almost nothing else like music from the show.

I guess this is the way it has to be, it is reducing the noise from my environment, so I can watch to videos or listening to music without putting the volume as high as it needed to be before there was ANC. :)

Or am I getting it wrong and the ANC should mute everything from the TV show in the same room?
No, you got it right. That’s the way it should be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.