Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
The Android Developers Blog just posted information on updating apps to support the new public SMS APIs. Starting with 4.4, the user will have to select a default SMS app, and only the default SMS app can write to the SMS Provider.

http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2013/10/getting-your-sms-apps-ready-for-kitkat.html

The only thing troubling is in the second paragraph.

Well, technically, next week is later this year. And, regardless, there is only about 2 1/2 months left in this year so even if we're talking December, it's only a little over a month away.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Im a little disappointed with Google.

4.3 and 4.4 dont bring any new major features. 4.2 was the last update to bring some noticeable features: lockscreen widgets, swype keyboard, multi user accounts, better notifications, etc.

4.3 brought under the hood improvements, like TRIMM.

4.4... I just dont see anything... some Google Now and Search improvements like "Ok Google" and little else. A new launcher, fullscreen mode, some minor UI tweaks, more improvements under the hood...

Anything I'm missing???

Oh, yeah, a new printing option and the NFC payment i guess...

2 android updates and Google hasn't included new interesting features.

Im losing interest in the Nexus line actually due to this.

There was this cool rumor that 4.4 would bring all the stock apps to the Play Store. Nothing happened at last. It's a shame. I really liked the Google Experience launcher on the Play Store idea.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
I read somewhere else that when receive a call android will search the number to see if it is a his ones or whatever. The search from the dialer is also nice

walie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2010

4.3 and 4.4 dont bring any new major features. 4.2 was the last update to bring some noticeable features: lockscreen widgets, swype keyboard, multi user accounts, better notifications, etc.

4.4... I just dont see anything... some Google Now and Search improvements like "Ok Google" and little else. A new launcher, fullscreen mode, some minor UI tweaks, more improvements under the hood...

Anything I'm missing???

There was this cool rumor that 4.4 would bring all the stock apps to the Play Store. Nothing happened at last. It's a shame. I really liked the Google Experience launcher on the Play Store idea.

Kit Kat features

http://developer.android.com/about/versions/kitkat.html

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Im reading every single article about 4.4 I can find on the web and still think there's really nothing new for the end user...

Screen recording?

Google hasn't brought new features since 4.2 for me. What a waste of updates! Seriously!

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Im reading every single article about 4.4 I can find on the web and still think there's really nothing new for the end user...

Screen recording?

Google hasn't brought new features since 4.2 for me. What a waste of updates! Seriously!

I hear you and agree. I am very excited about performance improvements though as I feel that is what is missing most in android. Happy effort is there rather than focusing too much on other things.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Thanks for that video, it was pretty damn informative.

I'm not sure if I like the idea of Hangouts becoming the new SMS app. I text all day everyday, but I prefer the standard SMS app. Isn't the SMS app manufacturer-controlled?

New Hangouts APK if you wanna try it out: http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/1...3-support-sms-animated-gifs-location-sharing/

I like it so far. It has a little "SMS" icon next to SMS. I was worried I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

And Google Voice coming to Hangouts in future. Yes!

http://www.androidcentral.com/google-voice-won-t-be-integrated-latest-hangouts-update-it-s-coming

----------

TONS of new APKs for all the KitKat versions. Get 'em now!

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/10/3...om-the-nexus-5-dump-search-launcher-and-more/

Google Play Services (v4.0.30)
Calendar (v201308021)
Clock (v3.0.0)
Email (v6.0-893803)
Gallery (v1.1.40304)
Gmail (v4.6.1)
Camera (v2.0.001)
Hangouts (v2.0.012)
Keep (v2.0.50)
Google Keyboard (v2.0.19003.893803a)
Google Search (3.0.17.886092)
Google Home (0.9.6.886092)
Wallpapers

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
New Hangouts APK if you wanna try it out: http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/1...3-support-sms-animated-gifs-location-sharing/

I like it so far. It has a little "SMS" icon next to SMS. I was worried I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

http://www.androidcentral.com/google-voice-won-t-be-integrated-latest-hangouts-update-it-s-coming

----------

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/10/3...om-the-nexus-5-dump-search-launcher-and-more/

Calendar (v201308021)
Clock (v3.0.0)
Email (v6.0-893803)
Gallery (v1.1.40304)
Gmail (v4.6.1)
Camera (v2.0.001)
Hangouts (v2.0.012)
Keep (v2.0.50)
Wallpapers

So pretty much Kit-Kat without the Kit-Kat, lol.

If I download the APK for Hangouts and decide I don't like it, can I just go back to my regular SMS app?

Also, won't Hangouts update on its own to 2.0 without updating the whole phone to Kit-Kat, kinda like the Google Play Store now?

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Wow the kit Kat keyboard is so ridiculously good. So much more accurate.

I wish it had all the features Kii has though. Like I would love to blacklist words.

----------

So pretty much Kit-Kat without the Kit-Kat, lol.

If I download the APK for Hangouts and decide I don't like it, can I just go back to my regular SMS app?

Also, won't Hangouts update on its own to 2.0 without updating the whole phone to Kit-Kat, kinda like the Google Play Store now?

Hangouts will update on its own eventually yes.

As for reversing the apk install I think by oy can uninstall hangouts altogether then reinstall it from the play store. That'll give you the old version. Not positive!

TJH133

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2013
Hangouts will update on its own eventually yes.

As for reversing the apk install I think by oy can uninstall hangouts altogether then reinstall it from the play store. That'll give you the old version. Not positive!

yeah that will do it. Like hime I am not to sure about the SMS part. I think it is a nice touch because I often times will have 1 sms going with my parents and a hangout with a friend.

kevinof

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Dublin/London
hangouts doesn't change the current sms app. You can choose to have hangouts handle sms in the hangout settings (it's off by default) so you lose nothing by getting the new hangouts version.

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA

----------

Calendar (v201308021)
Clock (v3.0.0)
Email (v6.0-893803)
Gallery (v1.1.40304)
Gmail (v4.6.1)
Camera (v2.0.001)
Hangouts (v2.0.012)
Keep (v2.0.50)
Wallpapers

I tried installing the Google Keyboard on the website linked here and it gave me errors during the install. Saying that it couldn't parse the package or something like that.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Has Google indicated when Kit Kat will be available for the Nexus devices i.e. Nexus 4 and N7 1st gen?

MLAM

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2011
United Kingdom
I don't think you'll find any manufacture that has developed an OS with one build that doesn't bring massive new features as it gets to a point where you need to stream line things rather than constantly putting in features that potentially won't work so well.

Apple famously did it with Mac OS X Snow Leopard which had Zero new features and to a lesser extent Mavericks is very much under the hood changes.

Granted new features can be added to Android but if they were half arsedly put in then you'd all be saying it suck's cos it isn't implemented well :)

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas

Anything I'm missing???

Then you have not been paying attention. Google's intent is to make their updates as slim and oem friendly as possible to curb all the fragmentation issues that run rampant with android. That's why they introduced the Google Play Services apk to keep everyone updated with the latest core apps. I believe there's an article that's been floating around the interwebs that explains everything.

They're basically trying to force the oems to update their skinned ui's by allowing android to be as easy as possible to work with. It's brilliant if you ask me and negates the whole fragmentation issues that gets thrown around redundantly.

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
Then you have not been paying attention. Google's intent is to make their updates as slim and oem friendly as possible to curb all the fragmentation issues that run rampant with android. That's why they introduced the Google Play Services apk to keep everyone updated with the latest core apps. I believe there's an article that's been floating around the interwebs that explains everything.

They're basically trying to force the oems to update their skinned ui's by allowing android to be as easy as possible to work with. It's brilliant if you ask me and negates the whole fragmentation issues that gets thrown around redundantly.
This article?
I like how Google is sidestepping OEMs and carriers, but with automatic updates to play services, it seems Google isn't as open with Android as it used to be.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
This article?
I like how Google is sidestepping OEMs and carriers, but with automatic updates to play services, it seems Google isn't as open with Android as it used to be.

Yes that's the article and true, it goes against the very grain of what android stands for but it's what android needs to bridge the gap between carrier, oem and OS.

Despite its overlord like powers, it does nothing but make android that much better for everyone. I don't see any negatives with play services at all, do you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.