Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I agree with marques in the video when he says google missed out on an opportunity to show how serious they were by dropping the system requirements. What better devices to showcase this on than their own galaxy nexus or nexus s? They could have made an exception to their 18 month cycle. And we sure as hell know other low end devices aren't going to be upgraded to kit Kat by their OEMs so it will be almost entirely up to the devs.m

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I agree with marques in the video when he says google missed out on an opportunity to show how serious they were by dropping the system requirements. What better devices to showcase this on than their own galaxy nexus or nexus s? They could have made an exception to their 18 month cycle. And we sure as hell know other low end devices aren't going to be upgraded to kit Kat by their OEMs so it will be almost entirely up to the devs.m

There's more to the story, apparently, relating to Texas Instrument. : shrug :

Otherwise, I agree.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
There's more to the story, apparently, relating to Texas Instrument. : shrug :

Otherwise, I agree.

While I'm not upset at all about them dropping the Gnex I don't buy that it's because of Ti. Texas instraments is still a multi billion dollar company as is Google. If a team of developers on a website forum can port 4.4 to the Galaxy Nexus in their spare time so can Ti and Google.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
Im a little disappointed with Google.

4.3 and 4.4 dont bring any new major features. 4.2 was the last update to bring some noticeable features: lockscreen widgets, swype keyboard, multi user accounts, better notifications, etc.

4.3 brought under the hood improvements, like TRIMM.

4.4... I just dont see anything... some Google Now and Search improvements like "Ok Google" and little else. A new launcher, fullscreen mode, some minor UI tweaks, more improvements under the hood...

Anything I'm missing???

Oh, yeah, a new printing option and the NFC payment i guess...

2 android updates and Google hasn't included new interesting features.

Im losing interest in the Nexus line actually due to this.

There was this cool rumor that 4.4 would bring all the stock apps to the Play Store. Nothing happened at last. It's a shame. I really liked the Google Experience launcher on the Play Store idea.

If it helps allow me to run Google now all the time with minimal hit in battery, the new "battery saving" feature in location is pretty major IMO.

Google has added lots to android since ICS. I think we are better off with the OS being made more robust, complete, and reliable than rushing to add another feature on top. For that you may look to Samsung :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.