Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I have the iPad 7, purchased refurbished. Got it in late 2021.
I've removed many apps and have about 10 GB remaining.
Apple sells the add-ons at a premium.
I like how the iPad can install any app I want. Android has always been restricted in what my tablets can use. I also like how it isn't slower after installing the latest iPad OS.
My Nokia, and all my other Android tablets slow down after a couple of years.
Amazon tablets get updates, but the OS remains original.
I realize the Chromebook is not a perfect choice. Apps from Google Play can be hit or miss from what I've read. I want a 2 in 1. Looking at about $500.
Not in a hurry as my tablets are still useful.
As for Windows, I have seen Windows 11 and I'm not impressed.
The good news is Windows 12 should become available in 2024 before Windows 10 goes EOL in 2025.
I don't believe it will be a free upgrade.
For the money and OS, the Mac mini is where I'd go next.
A good Chromebook could eliminate that need.
Sounds like you should probably stop buying cheap, crappy Tablets. Didn't you just get that Nokia last year?

My Samsung Tab S 7 I got at a decent price being on sale and trading in another tablet. It has 128 GB and it has expandable storage.

I have a 64 or 128 GB card in it. Don't recall which lol. It was one I have had a while in another device and those MicroSD cards are cheap.

I traded in my Tab S2. It's just timing. Should be sales next month sometime.. but if you want a Apple iPad , then you just are gonna have to pay extra for more space.

It will pay off as you will have it longer having the space to use it.

Last edited:

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
I get you have a budget but 32 GB of storage is nothing. Im surprised you can even still find those. It isnt that much more to get one with more storage. You just going to have to one day. Chromebook is a way to go as well. No idea how much those are but i always try to shoot for at least a mid device instead of a cheapy.

Apple unfortunately never has great deals on their products and why i never gravitated towards them. But my Wife has an iPad, not sure which one and it only has 32 GB.
It has had an update waiting for months, maybe a year or so.....not sure but she doesnt care if it is updated lol. And she dont have the space. I got a decent deal on that a long time ago and one day ill get her a new one when there is a decent deal.

She uses an Android phone so maybe ill get her an Android Tablet.

I also am using a PC with Windows 10 that cant get 11. One day ill get a new one but this one works fine. Ive looked into it, just not a priority.
Ipad 7th gen came out in Sept. 2021, so it is "par for the course" (though yeah, it's still stingy)

When I got into a 9th gen iPad, it was between 64 GB and 256 GB. I ended up going the former, thinking that would be enough. However, Apple Arcade was on wrench in the works I didn't know about. I then ended up not getting back into AA, and also getting a Switch as a gift, so all my free time has been there instead, so we're good again!

lionofthesouth

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2021
Got my S9 Ultra on Saturday. Set up as new device. I have noticed quite bad battery drain. Took it off charge last night at 9.45. By 10pm it had dropped to 98% with a bit of browsing. Woke up at 5.30 and it was down to 88% (all apps closed)

Leaving on standby now. Will check how much it has dropped when I get home at 5pm

jimimac71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2019
California
My reason for looking, and I'm just looking right now, is the Chrome browser on a Chromebook is a desktop version. I don't like any of the Android browsers really, and default to Chrome, which doesn't have ad block.
My Nokia is a year old and Android 13 has probably impacted performance.
It is normal for me to see the battery indicator drop quickly from 100%.
Overall battery life is still okay but charging takes a lot more time.
I want a Chromebook because it is portable plus the Chrombase from HP and Chromebox products from ASUS are too costly.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
I want a Chromebook because it is portable plus the Chrombase from HP and Chromebox products from ASUS are too costly.

Which Chromebook / Chrome tablet are you planning on getting?
Duet 5 looks pretty nice if you want a detachable.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Chrome OS tablets make for a poor tablet experience. Chrome OS just isn't "there yet" for tablets and Android apps on Chrome OS can be frustrating to use. I have the original Duet and it was terrible tablet from the get-go regardless of what the Chromebook bloggers stated. (it is the reason why I stopped following Chrome Unboxed... they have become shills)

I tested the newer Duets and although they perform better than the original, they are not worth the price, IMO.

That Asus Chromebook CM34 Flip is an excellent choice. It is similar to my ThinkPad C13 Yoga Chromebook in many ways. These yoga/flip type chromebooks are a better choice IMO than tablets with detachable keyboards because they offer a better notebook experience but have the flexibility for occasional handwritten notes.

Regarding browsers on Android, the two that I use on my Android devices are Microsoft Edge (built-in adblocking) and on my Samsung tablets, Samsung Internet (also has built-in adblocking). I can sync my Chrome browser info from my Windows and Mac OS systems via an extension so that they appear on my Samsung tablets in Samsung's browser.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
Chrome OS tablets make for a poor tablet experience. Chrome OS just isn't "there yet" for tablets and Android apps on Chrome OS can be frustrating to use. I have the original Duet and it was terrible tablet from the get-go regardless of what the Chromebook bloggers stated. (it is the reason why I stopped following Chrome Unboxed... they have become shills)

I tested the newer Duets and although they perform better than the original, they are not worth the price, IMO.

That Asus Chromebook CM34 Flip is an excellent choice. It is similar to my ThinkPad C13 Yoga Chromebook in many ways. These yoga/flip type chromebooks are a better choice IMO than tablets with detachable keyboards because they offer a better notebook experience but have the flexibility for occasional handwritten notes.

Regarding browsers on Android, the two that I use on my Android devices are Microsoft Edge (built-in adblocking) and on my Samsung tablets, Samsung Internet (also has built-in adblocking). I can sync my Chrome browser info from my Windows and Mac OS systems via an extension so that they appear on my Samsung tablets in Samsung's browser.
Samsung Internet browser is really good and has extensions for Ad Blocking and it actually recommends that you install them via the Galaxy App Store and 90% of them are free. I use that on my Galaxy Tab S7 FE and Galaxy Tab S7+

jimimac71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2019
California
My Nokia T20 tells me it’s corrupted.

I did a factory reset but it will take a while to get things back the way I want.
Don’t know for sure if the factory reset is actually a fix.
Fortunately it was able to boot as I could not use the power/up volume reset.
IT IS DEAD!
While I like Android, my iPad is more reliable.

Last edited:

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
My Nokia T20 tells me it’s corrupted.

I did a factory reset but it will take a while to get things back the way I want.
Don’t know for sure if the factory reset is actually a fix.
Fortunately it was able to boot as I could not use the power/up volume reset.
IT IS DEAD!
While I like Android, my iPad is more reliable.
This is all too common with lower end Android tablets.

As much as you may have enjoyed your T20 the experience you had is a common experience. You are lucky to get updates on a lower end Android tablet.

You have to buy a Samsung tablet. Even the low end Samsung tablets get solid updates and have reliable hardware.

But as Vegastouch said you have to buy a mid range or better Android tablet like a older Galaxy tablet or Google tablet. With trade in's, sales, etc you can get a higher end tablet for the price of a lower end Android tablet.

At the lowest end an iPad is a much better value than any cheap Android tablet unfortunately.

jimimac71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2019
California
Funny how my Amazon tablets have been reliable, especially for the price.
My Samsung Galaxy Tab A from 2019 is still useful.
My 2019 iPad 7 works the best, it is just heavy to hold.
Having my T20 fail is like setting $200 on fire.
I’m in no hurry but a respectable Chromebook is next and they are chronically discounted.
EDIT: I’m looking at the Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 Lite.
It is probably the best almost 9 inch tablet I can get.
Keeping in mind, I was never unhappy with my Amazon Fire 10s.
Any suggestions?
EDIT: I ordered the 4/64 version directly from Samsung.
Funny, I got the same $70 discount as my Galaxy Tab A in 2019.

Last edited:

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Funny how my Amazon tablets have been reliable, especially for the price.
My Samsung Galaxy Tab A from 2019 is still useful.
My 2019 iPad 7 works the best, it is just heavy to hold.
Having my T20 fail is like setting $200 on fire.
I’m in no hurry but a respectable Chromebook is next and they are chronically discounted.
EDIT: I’m looking at the Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 Lite.
It is probably the best almost 9 inch tablet I can get.
Keeping in mind, I was never unhappy with my Amazon Fire 10s.
Any suggestions?
EDIT: I ordered the 4/64 version directly from Samsung.
Funny, I got the same $70 discount as my Galaxy Tab A in 2019.
If you temper your expectations then the a series is a decent choice. Speed is not going to be great. I think the s6 lite is the best value tablet that has acceptable performance and features. You can find it on sale for around $250 often.

Do you need Android? Honestly I think you would be better served upgrading your iPad. Next year new models are coming out so price drops are in order. You can get the m1 5th gen air for $500 or 4th gen air for $400 if you can find it. Or you can wait until next year and buy a new model that will be a big upgrade and last for many years of great performance and experience. There is nothing in the Android space that competes.

The exception to that is buying an s9 11" with OLED screen with a trade in and paying about the same as the s6 lite on sale out the door. No iPad can compete with the 11" s9 at the moment. But at the low end Apple is king.

You said you felt like you threw away $200 on the Nokia tablet and unfortunately you did. This happens a lot in electronics. Any Android tablet under $300MSRP is not going to be good. You are better off saving up for a better Samsung Galaxy tablet newest gen and keeping it for 5 years than buying a cheap tablet and throwing it away every other year. In the end you almost spent the same but had a poorer experience.

Amazon tablets are different because Amazon uses that tablet as a sales platform and has a vested interest to keep you using it as long as possible. Nokia wants to sell you a new tablet every year.

jimimac71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2019
California
My income prevents me from spending big money on a tablet.
I spent $700 on a Dell AIO, which was huge, in early 2015.
I survive on Social Security alone.
So I’m cheap because I have no choice.
My current Samsung tabby is still working but sluggish.
If my new Galaxy Tab A7 Lite is still good for four years, I’m fine.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
My income prevents me from spending big money on a tablet.
I spent $700 on a Dell AIO, which was huge, in early 2015.
I survive on Social Security alone.
So I’m cheap because I have no choice.
My current Samsung tabby is still working but sluggish.
If my new Galaxy Tab A7 Lite is still good for four years, I’m fine.
I totally get it. I am on a fixed low income.

The a series is a fine device. You obviously understand what to expect and your budget best.

Personally I would get the a8 with the Unisoc processor. It is going to be a much better experience. At $149 for 32gb storage or $199 for the 64gb it might be worth it? However for $129 you won't find a better tablet for the cost in the a7. Nice build quality. Nice screen. Decent speakers. Just slow.

Reactions: jimimac71

SnowCrocodile

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2022
SouthEast of Northern MidWest
If you temper your expectations then the a series is a decent choice. Speed is not going to be great. I think the s6 lite is the best value tablet that has acceptable performance and features. You can find it on sale for around $250 often.

Do you need Android? Honestly I think you would be better served upgrading your iPad. Next year new models are coming out so price drops are in order. You can get the m1 5th gen air for $500 or 4th gen air for $400 if you can find it. Or you can wait until next year and buy a new model that will be a big upgrade and last for many years of great performance and experience. There is nothing in the Android space that competes.

The exception to that is buying an s9 11" with OLED screen with a trade in and paying about the same as the s6 lite on sale out the door. No iPad can compete with the 11" s9 at the moment. But at the low end Apple is king.

You said you felt like you threw away $200 on the Nokia tablet and unfortunately you did. This happens a lot in electronics. Any Android tablet under $300MSRP is not going to be good. You are better off saving up for a better Samsung Galaxy tablet newest gen and keeping it for 5 years than buying a cheap tablet and throwing it away every other year. In the end you almost spent the same but had a poorer experience.

Amazon tablets are different because Amazon uses that tablet as a sales platform and has a vested interest to keep you using it as long as possible. Nokia wants to sell you a new tablet every year.

Amazon must’ve upped their game quite a bit since I bought two Fire HDs for wife and myself way back. Both failed with a loose charger port due to poor design less than a year in. Both were replaced under warranty. Both failed in same exact way in about the same timeframe. These were our first and last Amazon branded tablets. The iPad that my wife bought as a replacement still works, although at this time it’s too slow for most tasks.

Reactions: Technerd108

SnowCrocodile

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2022
Yeah I think he was just referring to the fact that with Android you can find many tablets under $300 new, while with Apple you have to wait a sale or buy used/refurbished (and even then sales generally don't go under $200).
Having said that my guess is that a foldable iPhone, which turns into an iPad mini, would start at $1999.
But by that time in a not so close future, Samsung might come out with a Z Fold ultra that has the same cameras as the S2X ultra, built-in stylus etc. and charge even more than the current $1799.
And yes, probably next year the iPad pro 11 will start at $899 with oled, pencil not included.

If you don’t need OLED, an entry level iPad is capable of most of what Pro does. Especially now that it supports Apple Pencil. And it will remain usable for years.

Reactions: Technerd108

jimimac71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2019
California
Amazon must’ve upped their game quite a bit since I bought two Fire HDs for wife and myself way back. Both failed with a loose charger port due to poor design less than a year in. Both were replaced under warranty. Both failed in same exact way in about the same timeframe. These were our first and last Amazon branded tablets. The iPad that my wife bought as a replacement still works, although at this time it’s too slow for most tasks.
My first tablet was a 2017 Amazon Fire 10. It used a micro USB A port. I too had the loose charge port issue. Being a redneck, I was able to make it work with a rubber band. It was a decent enough device except for 32 GB storage. It got by with 2GB RAM. Cameras were laughable. Tablets are not well known for phone quality cameras.
My 2019 Amazon Fire 10 is USB-C. Still works but is EOL. Installing the Play Store is simple enough but numerous apps are not compatible. Never needed the 64 GB of storage. I upgraded to eliminate the Lock Screen ads.
I don’t like iPad OS. My iPad is the most powerful though.
I am hopeful the Galaxy Tab A7 Lite is comparable to my dead Nokia T20.
It is like my Samsung Galaxy Tab A, which is a 5:3 screen. It is almost 16:9.
I think having a basic version of Android on the T20 was a drawback.
I like the Samsung UI. Just don’t like being forced to have the search bar on the Home Screen. Microsoft Launcher lets me eliminate it.
I freaking hate clicking a YouTube video only to be forced into the YouTube app.
Same goes for Google News.
I’d love to have Touch ID, but can’t expect that with a tablet I’m paying $130 for.
Face ID worked 50% of the time on my Nokia. My Samsung will have it. I’m not excited. Maybe Samsung will get it right.
I will review my new Tabby right here.

SnowCrocodile

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2022
My first tablet was a 2017 Amazon Fire 10. It used a micro USB A port. I too had the loose charge port issue. Being a redneck, I was able to make it work with a rubber band. It was a decent enough device except for 32 GB storage. It got by with 2GB RAM. Cameras were laughable. Tablets are not well known for phone quality cameras.
My 2019 Amazon Fire 10 is USB-C. Still works but is EOL. Installing the Play Store is simple enough but numerous apps are not compatible. Never needed the 64 GB of storage. I upgraded to eliminate the Lock Screen ads.
I don’t like iPad OS. My iPad is the most powerful though.
I am hopeful the Galaxy Tab A7 Lite is comparable to my dead Nokia T20.
It is like my Samsung Galaxy Tab A, which is a 5:3 screen. It is almost 16:9.
I think having a basic version of Android on the T20 was a drawback.
I like the Samsung UI. Just don’t like being forced to have the search bar on the Home Screen. Microsoft Launcher lets me eliminate it.
I freaking hate clicking a YouTube video only to be forced into the YouTube app.
Same goes for Google News.
I’d love to have Touch ID, but can’t expect that with a tablet I’m paying $130 for.
Face ID worked 50% of the time on my Nokia. My Samsung will have it. I’m not excited. Maybe Samsung will get it right.
I will review my new Tabby right here.

FaceID works great on iPad. Although, I fully understand that personal preferences for mobile OS are different for everyone.

Before I bought my first MacBook, I've used iPad (occasionally with a BT keyboard) for probably 80% of my personal computing needs for a few years. With that MacBook, it's been relegated for when I really need portability or pen support, but otherwise I am getting everything from both worlds on my laptop. Even though I really like Windows as an OS, there's too much of unrealized synergy missing from it not having its own mobile counterpart. The Phone Link is just too buggy. Dex is great but it's a different use case. Perhaps one day Android and some decent desktop OS get combined.

jimimac71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2019
California
I don't have Face ID on my iPad. Guess that came later.
I'm finished with Apple products.
I'm probably finished with Microsoft too.
Guess I'm all in with Google.
I've seen Windows 11 and it annoys me.
I'm using my Galaxy Tab A right now.
It is okay just a bit sluggish.
Hopefully I can put off getting a Chromebook for a while.
My Windows 10 AIO gets updates until 10/25.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
If you don’t need OLED, an entry level iPad is capable of most of what Pro does. Especially now that it supports Apple Pencil. And it will remain usable for years.
I don't need OLED, but the base iPad lack 2 crucial things for me: RAM and quad speakers. I can't stand any device with less than 6 GB RAM, Android or iPad. Precisely today, I decided to sell my 2018 iPad pro because of that.
And I want the sound and volume of those 4 speakers, some people may be fine with less, not me.

SnowCrocodile

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2022
I don't need OLED, but the base iPad lack 2 crucial things for me: RAM and quad speakers. I can't stand any device with less than 6 GB RAM, Android or iPad. Precisely today, I decided to sell my 2018 iPad pro because of that.
And I want the sound and volume of those 4 speakers, some people may be fine with less, not me.
To each their own, I guess. That's why we have choices.

I have honestly never ran into RAM issues with base iPad when I used one. Depends on what you do, I guess ? My use is browsing / email / Teams / Excel / Word / Onenote or Notes / occasional handwritten notes / scans / editing photos with Affinity Photo 2. The base iPad is good for all of that. I really mainly upgraded to the Pro for the external drives support.

Speakers... yes if this is important to you, by all means that's what you need. I almost never use iPad's speakers to play music - it's either AirPods or external speakers.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
To each their own, I guess. That's why we have choices.

I have honestly never ran into RAM issues with base iPad when I used one. Depends on what you do, I guess ? My use is browsing / email / Teams / Excel / Word / Onenote or Notes / occasional handwritten notes / scans / editing photos with Affinity Photo 2. The base iPad is good for all of that. I really mainly upgraded to the Pro for the external drives support.

Speakers... yes if this is important to you, by all means that's what you need. I almost never use iPad's speakers to play music - it's either AirPods or external speakers.
My main issue with RAM is Safari, tabs reload constantly. And since I use safari for youtube, instead of the youtube app, to be able to use an adblocker, that means that if I stop watching videos at some point they reload from the beginning and I lose the point where I was watching, which does not happen with devices with 6+ GB RAM. The same happens with games, but I hardly play any game so that is not an issue. Also Davinci crashes all the time with 3-4 GB RAM, but I use the M1 for that anyway... At home I don't use external speakers, only built-in or airpods, but I like to have the freedom not to use airpods during the day (at night I generally use airpods)

Reactions: ozaz

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
2 years since the OP made the Android Tablet “death” conclusion and I for one am really glad Samsung didn’t agree. For me the S9 11” 120Hz OLED w/ IP 68 and 12gb RAM, Android 14 and Dex (One UI 6.0) really hits it out of the park. :cool:

The second half of the proclamation, Google and Chrome OS taking over from Android Tablet was also completely WRONG. 🙂

Last edited:

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
2 years since the OP made the Android Tablet “death” conclusion and I for one am really glad Samsung didn’t agree. For me the S9 11” 120Hz OLED w/ IP 68 and 12gb RAM, Android 14 and Dex (One UI 6.0) really hits it out of the park. :cool:

The second half of the proclamation, Google and Chrome OS taking over from Android Tablet taking was also completely WRONG. 🙂
I got the base 5G version of the S9 and this is the first time that an Android tablet feels as fast as an iPad pro, such as the M1. I also have the S7 12.4 and the S8 ultra 14.6 and even the S8 did not feel as fast as an iPad pro, not even the 2018 one. The S9 is faster than the 2018 and very close to the M1, with louder speakers than the 12.9 M1. I am using iPads less and less and Android tablets more and more... and it's not because of price...

Reactions: TPadden

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I have an iPad air 5th gen with M1 8gb ram and a tab s9 11" with 12gb ram.

I really like my iPad. The design, the color(purple) and the performance are exceptional. The screen is the one area and probably the only area I feel a little let down.

Having M1 in an iPad and 8gb ram feels absolutely overkill and I love it. Literally, there is nothing that this iPad can't handle. It may not have the Pro features but for what I paid I have been more than happy with it. The two speakers are surprisingly good. I had two other iPads same model from other retailers and returned them because the volume of the tablet was terrible but this one I got from Apple is really loud.

The IPS LCD screen on the iPad is good but it could have been so much better. Better black levels would have been so appreciated.

Then I traded in my tab s8 11" for the new tab s9 11". Let's just say that in my opinion with this release Samsung released the best Android tablet of the year and possibly the best tablet of the year in the 11" category.

Tablets have a few metrics that make a huge difference. And they are weighted. Screen would be most important, then speakers, battery life, performance, build quality, etc.

Samsung slapped a 120hz AMOLED display in the 11" tablet finally. Huge change. Okay, not going to lie, biggest change. Then they improved already great speakers. The flagship processor gives better performance and battery life. Build quality is top notch. And you get a stylus included.

OneUI is decent, although I don't understand why Tablets are updated less than phones, specially on the high end?

If someone asked me what tablet I thought was best I am still not 100% sure. Samsung needs to adopt Google's 7 year update policy or at least make it 5 years of OS updates and security updates because Apple still has the advantage here.

If Google stepped up their tablet game and actually tried to make a high end tablet next year I would totally be in. A Pixel Tablet 2 with 11" 120hz OLED screen, quad stereo speakers that don't need a dock, Tensor G4, 12gb ram, 128gb storage and 7 years updates and charge $150 less than the tab s9 and we are done! But I don't think that will happen so the tab s9 is about the best tablet there is right now.

The tab s9 is the best tablet you can buy in 2023 if you want an OLED screen and included stylus. When Apple puts OLED in their tablets and m3 then I will probably change that assessment. But for now Samsung has done it. The s9 is in my opinion the perfect size. The build quality is excellent although I prefer the glass back section for the sPen on the tab s8 better. But if I have to trade off for OLED then no problem.

Reactions: TPadden
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.