Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I'm glad my A7 Lite has 4 GB RAM and 64 GB storage. Android 13 occupies 15 GB of storage alone.
32 GB of storage is silly these days. My 2019 iPad only has 32 GB storage and iPad OS uses about the same 15 GB.
Because I have the fonts bumped up a little, I had to actually lower them, some websites won't display completely, even in landscape mode. Yes, it is a bit sluggish and gets a case of the hiccups sometimes.
My Galaxy Tab A from 2019 is actually a more comfortable experience, but now I know.
My Amazon tablets were 2 GB RAM. The OS was pretty lightweight.
Yeah 4GB RAM is a minimum for a decent experience these days... 2/3GB RAM devices are technically usable (both Android and iPads) but the experience is not great with things being ejected from memory and reloading all the time. Yeah and 32GB is indeed bad, although a sd card slot on Samsung tablet helps with that. My ex girlfriend had (still has) a 16GB phone... she is constantly deleting everything.
As for general speed, the level of tolerance is so subjective... I am pretty spoiled with fast devices, but I still love my Tab S4, which definitely not fast (similar to a S6 lite I think) but is such a nice device I can't let it go and still use it regularly...

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Yeah I was looking at the wrong device. Either way this unit is a 2021 release. It has a Mediatek P22 and 4gb ram in the 64gb storage config. Not a bad media tablet. Still at best you have two years of official support. Compared to other cheap Android tablets that isn't even bad so for the cost not a bad choice. Best buy has that model for $109.

It is pretty amazing what you can get at the low end from Samsung.

I try to time my purchase around the release of a device personally. So I would wait for the a8 or now a9 to launch and buy it during the first sale after release generally 3 to 6 months after release. That way I save some money and still have the latest tablet. Let's face it, at the low end new models can make a big difference if it has a newer and faster processor, slightly better screen and speakers. So for me if I was buying I would spend $159 on the tab a8 from Best Buy or wait for the a9 to come out next year hopefully.

Here is a link to the Best buy sale. Ends tomorrow if anyone is still interested. Seems like a pretty good deal. I would get one if I needed a decent and affordable tablet.

Last edited:

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Yeah I was looking at the wrong device. Either way this unit is a 2021 release. It has a Mediatek P22 and 4gb ram in the 64gb storage config. Not a bad media tablet. Still at best you have two years of official support. Compared to other cheap Android tablets that isn't even bad so for the cost not a bad choice. Best buy has that model for $109.

It is pretty amazing what you can get at the low end from Samsung.

I try to time my purchase around the release of a device personally. So I would wait for the a8 or now a9 to launch and buy it during the first sale after release generally 3 to 6 months after release. That way I save some money and still have the latest tablet. Let's face it, at the low end new models can make a big difference if it has a newer and faster processor, slightly better screen and speakers. So for me if I was buying I would spend $159 on the tab a8 from Best Buy or wait for the a9 to come out next year hopefully.

Here is a link to the Best buy sale. Ends tomorrow if anyone is still interested. Seems like a pretty good deal. I would get one if I needed a decent and affordable tablet.

The A9 is already out and is the same size as the A7 lite, while the A9+ is 11" (larger than the A7 and A8)

jimimac71

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2019
California
The more I use the A7 Lite, the more problems there are.
Yet another app is not compatible and a game app I use is only an APK.
The APK installs and will run, but doesn't show up in the menu.
Only once did I find an app was suppose to be in the Apple App Store and it did not exist.
Every app that I can get from the Apple App Store works, even if in iPhone format.
I found the A9 Plus earlier but now it is not on the Samsung website.
Only the S9 series.
EDIT: My A7 Lite received an update for security and played dead once again.
It took forever to bring it back to life with a combination of power and volume down buttons.
Once the screen came on I held the volume down button down to continue the boot process.
Kind of stupid if you ask me.
The game app that is an APK is not in the Play Store as it is a gambling game and not allowed.
I don't believe in gambling just enjoy the game.
I have two Outlook apps on my A7 Lite, but not my older Tab A.
One is mostly a replication of Outlook on the Web. The other is more like an app.
It would be wonderful to have an app that could tell me what apps are available on the Play Store for a device I don't have yet, like a Chromebook.
The APK now shows in my menu and I haven't a clue why.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaPhox

jimimac71

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2019
California
My final opinion of the A7 Lite: It's a gutless wonder.
Size is okay and it is Lite in my hand.
Reminds me of the old City Bus where the driver had to shut off the A/C to accelerate.
My old Amazon tablets had better performance.
I can understand junk from companies other than Samsung.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
The more I use the A7 Lite, the more problems there are.
Yet another app is not compatible and a game app I use is only an APK.
The APK installs and will run, but doesn't show up in the menu.
Only once did I find an app was suppose to be in the Apple App Store and it did not exist.
Every app that I can get from the Apple App Store works, even if in iPhone format.
I found the A9 Plus earlier but now it is not on the Samsung website.
Only the S9 series.
EDIT: My A7 Lite received an update for security and played dead once again.
It took forever to bring it back to life with a combination of power and volume down buttons.
Once the screen came on I held the volume down button down to continue the boot process.
Kind of stupid if you ask me.
The game app that is an APK is not in the Play Store as it is a gambling game and not allowed.
I don't believe in gambling just enjoy the game.
I have two Outlook apps on my A7 Lite, but not my older Tab A.
One is mostly a replication of Outlook on the Web. The other is more like an app.
It would be wonderful to have an app that could tell me what apps are available on the Play Store for a device I don't have yet, like a Chromebook.
The APK now shows in my menu and I haven't a clue why.
My final opinion of the A7 Lite: It's a gutless wonder.
Size is okay and it is Lite in my hand.
Reminds me of the old City Bus where the driver had to shut off the A/C to accelerate.
My old Amazon tablets had better performance.
I can understand junk from companies other than Samsung.
I tried to warn you not to get the a7 and get either the a8 or a9. Seems like the a9 is a big upgrade in the budget space. I would buy one of these if I didn't already have a tablet I like.

Return the tab a7 lite as fast as you can and get this instead. All of your problems will be solved. It will cost more money but it will be worth it and last you at least 4 years fully supported!

This tablet is so much better. It has a 90hz screen. much better processor, ram, and great 10.5" size.

Always buy the newest model. It will always be much better than a model a few years old, specially on the low end. As tech gets cheaper you get cool new features like 90hz screen. Lets see Apple put a 90hz screen in a sub $200 tablet!!

jimimac71

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2019
California
I tried to warn you not to get the a7 and get either the a8 or a9. Seems like the a9 is a big upgrade in the budget space. I would buy one of these if I didn't already have a tablet I like.

Return the tab a7 lite as fast as you can and get this instead. All of your problems will be solved. It will cost more money but it will be worth it and last you at least 4 years fully supported!

This tablet is so much better. It has a 90hz screen. much better processor, ram, and great 10.5" size.

Always buy the newest model. It will always be much better than a model a few years old, specially on the low end. As tech gets cheaper you get cool new features like 90hz screen. Lets see Apple put a 90hz screen in a sub $200 tablet!!
Apple? Sub $200 tablet? Too funny!
I didn’t want another 10 inch tablet weighing a pound or so.
I have my iPad and Galaxy Tab A for that.
Funny how the A9+ is available but not the A9.
Isn’t the A9 supposed to be smaller?
My “Samsung Mini” is my least favorite device now.
Perhaps the sub 10 inch tablets are on the way out.

Reactions: Technerd108

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Apple? Sub $200 tablet? Too funny!
I didn’t want another 10 inch tablet weighing a pound or so.
I have my iPad and Galaxy Tab A for that.
Funny how the A9+ is available but not the A9.
Isn’t the A9 supposed to be smaller?
My “Samsung Mini” is my least favorite device now.
Perhaps the sub 10 inch tablets are on the way out.
It is a manufacturing thing. As screens improve they get bigger even on the scale of small tablets and phones. Even small phones are now 6.1".

So as it becomes cheaper to make higher resolution IPS panels it also is cheaper to make them bigger. Most Consumers prefer a 10"-11" size tablet for general use. There are obviously markets for even larger screens but for now 11" seems to be the sweet spot for main consumer use.

7" tablets and the like are on the way out because most phone screens are already almost as big. That is why the smallest you find now is 8.25" or so.

For me I like 10.5" of the s6 lite in terms of pure fun. It is big enough to see details on the screen but small enough to hold for a long time without fatigue. I miss those days. I think 10.5" or around there is just about perfect at my age.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
A one pound tablet is too heavy. I get pain in all of my left arm.
I get you. I remember the nexus days when a plastic shell was good enough. I don't know if plastic would be lighter than aluminum but a pound is getting a bit heavy I agree. I wouldn't mind a carbon fiber or kevlar plastic shell. It would look nice, be super tough and light. Might make a good mid range material or even premium. Any way they could make these lighter without compromising strength would be a good thing but I tend to prioritize toughness just a bit over lightness but they are close.

And to all the weight lifting heads who want to go on about a pound is nothing I could hold 50# for hours with no problem, no one asked. Weight for a tablet or laptop is always a hinderance and the lighter it is the better otherwise ultralight laptops as an entire product category would not exist.

jimimac71

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2019
California
I get you. I remember the nexus days when a plastic shell was good enough. I don't know if plastic would be lighter than aluminum but a pound is getting a bit heavy I agree. I wouldn't mind a carbon fiber or kevlar plastic shell. It would look nice, be super tough and light. Might make a good mid range material or even premium. Any way they could make these lighter without compromising strength would be a good thing but I tend to prioritize toughness just a bit over lightness but they are close.

And to all the weight lifting heads who want to go on about a pound is nothing I could hold 50# for hours with no problem, no one asked. Weight for a tablet or laptop is always a hinderance and the lighter it is the better otherwise ultralight laptops as an entire product category would not exist.
I would agree about plastic. It also would not be cold in the winter.
What I have in my collection now will have to last until the magic Chromebook arrives. My requested specs are pretty specific. All at a sweet price.

Reactions: Technerd108

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Once again my tablet (A7 lite) received an update (Android 14) and won't restart. This just doesn't happen with iPad!
You are complaining about a tablet that is currently less than $100 at Best Buy and then comparing it with an iPad… time for a reality check. Just wait for your magic Chromebook, it should be bulletproof, mine is. ;)

Tom

Last edited:

jimimac71

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2019
California
You are complaining about a tablet that is currently less than $100 at Best Buy and then comparing it with an iPad… time for a reality check. Just wait for your magic Chromebook. ;)

Tom
I am not comparing, I'm complaining.
Took 30 minutes to get my A7 to restart.
Happens every time it gets an update.
I will be better off when updates are over, probably by the end of 2024.
I'm comparing the overall reliability of my Android devices and iPad.

jimimac71

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2019
California
I'm confused. :D

Tom
My A7 lite is a perfectly fine device except when it plays dead after any update.
I can't imagine why you're confused.
There are inconsistencies with Android, even when both are Samsung.
I don't like paying the price for iPad, even refurbished.
iPad OS is the same on any device.
There are drawbacks to Chrome OS.
I'm still on the fence for what's next.
I need a really good browser that works with Android but acts like a desktop version.
I'm not fond of the Chrome browser, Android or Windows.

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
My A7 lite is a perfectly fine device except when it plays dead after any update.
I can't imagine why you're confused.
I was just confused by your comparing very different hardware specs and price; then blaming the OS for your slowdown.

No it isn't Android or Samsung; it's the cheap hardware of the A7 lite. I have a Pixel 5 and Pixel 8, Samsung S23, Samsung Tablet S7, and a S8 Ultra that all update Android OS as fast as my wife's iPad Air 5 and iPhone 13 mini OS updates. You can't blame the OS for underpowered hardware.

Any OS update takes time, the slower the hardware the longer it takes, the faster the hardware the more you pay. That is not confusing. ;)

Tom

Last edited:

jimimac71

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2019
California
I'm saying the tablet refuses to restart after an update.
I don't think that's cheap hardware.
The A7 lite is a little better than my Tab A.
My iPad 7 isn't new but operates as good as when I bought it refurbished in 2021.
You must have a lot more disposable income than I do.
I don't buy cheap just because. It's a fact of life.

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
I'm saying the tablet refuses to restart after an update.
I don't think that's cheap hardware.
I should have used inexpensive rather than cheap; perhaps the problem is simply that Android updates to a blank screen without the Apple bright line slowly crossing the screen.

I think your tablet was applying the update when you thought it was "refusing to restart" and you were interrupting the install by trying to restart it. The fact that it finally restarted indicate that. Your Chromebook will most likely also have a dark, blank screen for a period while updating after downloading and rebooting.

Tom

jimimac71

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2019
California
None of my other tablets behave that way.
Even my old Amazon tablets.
I will be interested in Amazon again if they indeed create their own OS.
Without side-loading the Play Store, Amazon's app store is no good for me.

Reactions: TPadden

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
This weekend there's an offer where I live for the S9 Ultra 256GB for 799€, down from 1.339€. New and unopened. Don't really need it but it's an amazing offer, although when I tried the tablet at the store wasn't convinced with the size. Can't really use it vertically, and the notch can be a pain in vertical mode.

RSB96

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2021
Spain
I've had a Galaxy Tab S9 + for a few days now and overall I'm liking it quite a bit, but it doesn't quite reach the level of the iPad Pro.

I will do a more in-depth analysis, but multitasking on Android is far superior, however, the Split View seems to me better integrated on iPadOS than on Android. And the apps... feel much worse optimized than on iPadOS.

I want to test it in more depth, so in the coming days I will see new things.

Reactions: max2 and Sensamic

teohyc

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2007
This weekend there's an offer where I live for the S9 Ultra 256GB for 799€, down from 1.339€. New and unopened. Don't really need it but it's an amazing offer, although when I tried the tablet at the store wasn't convinced with the size. Can't really use it vertically, and the notch can be a pain in vertical mode.
That notch is small compared to the display size.
If that's pain, iPhone's Dynamic Island and notch is probably a knife stab followed by a twist.

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
I just picked up a Lenovo Tab M11 to replace an old third gen iPad Air. 128GB storage and 4GB RAM. Does 90% of what I need a tablet for and came with a case and pen (which I'll never use) for just £200. Android's no iOS, but I haven't found it objectionable. You can forgive a lot at that price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.