Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
What I need for any device is the equivalent to a music stand.
Needs to be at eye level and quite close.
That would change everything.
Coming soon a McFly hoveriPad ...;)

53581993875_5423417f54_z.jpg

Reactions: bobthebuilderissus

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
In my humble opinion buying cheap Android tablets is throwing your money away.

I think the opposite—pricier Android tablets make no sense, you may as well buy an iPad.

Most cheap Android tablets are trash, but there a few that aren't and they will suffice for basic stuff.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I think the opposite—pricier Android tablets make no sense, you may as well buy an iPad.

Most cheap Android tablets are trash, but there a few that aren't and they will suffice for basic stuff.

I've been wanting to sideload more and more lately (mostly because of vintage gaming), so I love the idea of a high end tablet that's not as restricted as iOS.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
Fingers crossed! I wasn't even aware of the Y700 until your post. That thing looks like it checks all the right boxes.

Launch now confirmed in some regions outside China (although not North America): https://liliputing.com/lenovo-legio...t-that-already-launched-in-china-last-summer/

I was an iPad user for around 10 years and then switched to a Galaxy Tab S8 around 15 months ago. I've been very happy with the switch.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Launch now confirmed in some regions outside China (although not North America): https://liliputing.com/lenovo-legio...t-that-already-launched-in-china-last-summer/

I was an iPad user for around 10 years and then switched to a Galaxy Tab S8 around 15 months ago. I've been very happy with the switch.
The Lenovo Tablet looks great but seems a little pricey for the specs. I also don't trust Lenovo updates. If it was around $400 this would be a very nice alternative to the tab s9 11" but at close to the same price the Tab s9 is a much better device.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
The Lenovo Tablet looks great but seems a little pricey for the specs. I also don't trust Lenovo updates. If it was around $400 this would be a very nice alternative to the tab s9 11" but at close to the same price the Tab s9 is a much better device.

The person the suggestion was directed to is looking for a non-budget alternative to iPad mini.

Reactions: Technerd108

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021

jimimac71

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2019
California
It is annoying that Android browsers cannot import/export bookmarks.
This alone is moving me in the direction of a Chromebook.
Why must mobile browsers be so different from the desktop/laptop versions?
I will note that the DuckDuckGo browser can do this task, but it is not a browser for me just yet.
Still limping along in Beta.

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
I exported bookmarks from Safari on my Mac to Chrome on my Android tablet (via an import into Chrome on my Mac) quite easily. If I was prepared to switch to Chrome on Mac full-time, these would be kept in sync without any further manual intervention.

jimimac71

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2019
California
I exported bookmarks from Safari on my Mac to Chrome on my Android tablet (via an import into Chrome on my Mac) quite easily. If I was prepared to switch to Chrome on Mac full-time, these would be kept in sync without any further manual intervention.
You missed my point. My go-to device is my Android tablet.
I want control over my browser data without the need for a computer. I would like to be PC free if possible.

LaterWolf

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2022
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Interesting.

What efforts do you think Google should be making with regard to Android tablets that they currently aren't doing?

Yes, Google is working on Chrome OS (CrOS) for tablets, but that isn't the end goal. Google's long-term plan appears to merge both Android and CrOS into a new OS codenamed, Fuschia.

Over the past year or so, CrOS updates haven't really improved things for the tablet form-factor. It has been a bit of thrashing around, tweaking the UI but not resulting in a more comfortable user experience (UX).

I own both CrOS and Android tablets. The UX on CrOS tablets is somewhat mediocre at this point in time when compared to Android. The container technology in CrOS that allows for support for Android, Linux, and Windows apps results in a disjointed UX.

There are some underlying design decisions that will prevent CrOS from offering a great experience... for example:
Rather than having a single globally accessible filesystem, it is "keyholed" (not fully sandboxed) based on operating system (CrOS, Android, Linux). That's better than iOS/iPadOS's sandboxed approach on a per-app basis, but not ideal.

I'm a big fan of CrOS for the notebook and desktop form-factors. Having a desktop-strength web browser (with full support for extensions and plug-ins) and yet have a system that is light and responsive is very attractive. But for a mobile, handheld form-factor like a tablet, CrOS is awkward.

But then again I'm spoiled by all of the flexibility that Android offers. Nothing beats the top tier Samsung tablets (with DeX) for both entertainment *and* office productivity use cases in a compact mobile form-factor.
There is just 1 problem with googles fuchsia plans

How, in the world, will you make a phone, tablet, and laptop UI similar?!

jimimac71

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2019
California
There is just 1 problem with googles fuchsia plans

How, in the world, will you make a phone, tablet, and laptop UI similar?!
I guess you have forgotten Windows 8. A UI for everything.
My Dell AIO came with 8.1 and has to be as bad as anything from Microsoft.
A tablet is just a big phone without the phone.
A laptop is just a tablet in landscape only with a keyboard.
A 2 in 1 laptop is even more like a tablet.
I would put more faith in Apple to make a MacPad.
I can't picture a Surface hybrid.
Apple won't go there when they can get a thousand bucks for a MacBook Air.

LaterWolf

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2022
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
I guess you have forgotten Windows 8. A UI for everything.
My Dell AIO came with 8.1 and has to be as bad as anything from Microsoft.
A tablet is just a big phone without the phone.
A laptop is just a tablet in landscape only with a keyboard.
A 2 in 1 laptop is even more like a tablet.
I would put more faith in Apple to make a MacPad.
I can't picture a Surface hybrid.
Apple won't go there when they can get a thousand bucks for a MacBook Air.
But 8 (and 8.1 to some extent) was the epitome of compromise that ignored the PC market, which was mostly courtesy of Microsoft at the time.
I mean, you technically can do it, tablet dex is an UI which can merge tablets and laptops, but you need something like. Keyboard and mouse.

(Yes I forgot the disaster of 8 and metro)

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
I bought a Lenovo Tab P12 tablet about a month ago. Good tablet. Only problem I have is that I prefer Samsung's UI that is on my Galaxy phone. So I decided to go with Samsung for tablets as well just make everything more similar. Ordered a refurb Tab 8 Ultra off of Amazon. Should be getting it tomorrow.

Went with the Ultra because I needed something large for when I'm working out on my exercise bike. The Lenovo was better than most, but still felt like I needed something a bit bigger. 8 Ultra's 14.6" screen should do nicely.

We will see how it goes.

juice3250

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2014
I bought a Lenovo M10+ tablet a few months ago. It’s slow but I only use it for watching content. YouTube, Netflix etc. I think I paid around $150 for it.

PJM83

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
Stockholm
Just ordered a Tab 8 ultra from directly from samsung for about the equivalent of 550usd. Wanted a big tablet and don't wanna splurge on iPad pro and I also think the new rumored air will be too pricey.

Currently I´m in the Apple ecosystem with Iphone and watch, but I have switched before. If I like the tab a lot I might go Samsung again.

Reactions: lostPod

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
I just bought the Xiaomi Pad 6S Pro 12.4 + keyboard case for 699€. It's a launch offer. Really great price for a big tablet like this one. It's still unopened and I'm undecided whether to open it and try it (can't return it once opened in my country except for hardware defect) or return it and wait for the iPad announcement.

I've always wanted an iPad Pro 12.9 + Magic Keyboard (had the 11 version), but it's way too expensive now (1.300€ just for the tablet with 128GB + 400€ for the Magic Keyboard = 1.700€ total, or 1.850€ if I were to get the 256GB model). I figured I could give the Xiaomi a chance: has 3:2 aspect ratio, screen is great, 6 speakers, Snapdragon 8 Gen 2, 8GB RAM, 256GB storage, 120W charge, 144Hz...

When I had the iPad Pro 11 I really didn't use much its pro features. Merely web surfing, reading forums, watching videos... but I really wanted promotion. I can't go back to a 60Hz screen. I really notice the difference all the time. Therefore, I was looking at the Samsung Tab S9, which costs 700€ for 128GB in its 11 inch variant. Good thing is it has an OLED display and OneUI (I like it in my S24+), but has 16:10 aspect ratio and the Xiaomi offers much more for the same price: 256GB storage, the keyboard, bigger screen with 3:2 aspect ratio...

I'm gonna think if I keep it today. I was waiting for the new iPads, but realistically, it would cost me +1.000€ more to buy the new 12.9 model with OLED display + redesigned Magic Keyboard. That's way, way too much for my use case.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I just bought the Xiaomi Pad 6S Pro 12.4 + keyboard case for 699€. It's a launch offer. Really great price for a big tablet like this one. It's still unopened and I'm undecided whether to open it and try it (can't return it once opened in my country except for hardware defect) or return it and wait for the iPad announcement.

I've always wanted an iPad Pro 12.9 + Magic Keyboard (had the 11 version), but it's way too expensive now (1.300€ just for the tablet with 128GB + 400€ for the Magic Keyboard = 1.700€ total, or 1.850€ if I were to get the 256GB model). I figured I could give the Xiaomi a chance: has 3:2 aspect ratio, screen is great, 6 speakers, Snapdragon 8 Gen 2, 8GB RAM, 256GB storage, 120W charge, 144Hz...

When I had the iPad Pro 11 I really didn't use much its pro features. Merely web surfing, reading forums, watching videos... but I really wanted promotion. I can't go back to a 60Hz screen. I really notice the difference all the time. Therefore, I was looking at the Samsung Tab S9, which costs 700€ for 128GB in its 11 inch variant. Good thing is it has an OLED display and OneUI (I like it in my S24+), but has 16:10 aspect ratio and the Xiaomi offers much more for the same price: 256GB storage, the keyboard, bigger screen with 3:2 aspect ratio...

I'm gonna think if I keep it today. I was waiting for the new iPads, but realistically, it would cost me +1.000€ more to buy the new 12.9 model with OLED display + redesigned Magic Keyboard. That's way, way too much for my use case.
I don't know where you live but my only concern would be updates and security/privacy.

Xiaomi makes some really nice hardware and I wish they had a bigger presence in the US and the whole US/China tech war would simmer down. That being said in my past experience buying from Mainland Chinese tech companies has iven me a sour experience regarding Android upgrades and timely updates.

Samsung on the other hand will give you regular updates and has a better security and privacy profile and OneUI is really good now.

But if you live in a region where Xiaomi is officially supported and you get full warranty then it seems like a really nice tablet.

A lot of people seem to criticize the ipad and ipadOS saying it should do more and for the Pro models I agree they are way too expensive for what you can do with a tablet. They will never truly replace a laptop. BUT as a tablet iPads are really great in the mid range. If you can deal with a 60hz ips display then the air models are the sweet spot in pricing and features. The great thing about Android is if you get a high end Android tablet like the Xiaomi or S9 you get a ton of great hardware like OLED, s pen, quad speakers, etc. Features you either simply don't get on Apple or would have to pay a lot more. BUT if you like iPadOS and iPad apps then your choice is clear. If you are not tied to a platform I actually prefer Android.

I have a Tab S9 11" and I think for what I use a tablet for it is just about perfect. Fast ddr5x ram, ufs 4.0 storage, sd 8 gen 2, OLED screen, quad speakers, great battery life and OneUI is really good. You can find sales and trade in deals through Samsung. In July Samsung generally has a summer sale and discounts their tablets by a couple hundred dollars and allows for trades on top of the sale price making the s9 in some cases very cheap out of pocket.

But if Xiaomi is doing better in software support, updates and major Android upgrades and you are in a warranty supported region I don't see why you wouldn't get the Xiaomi. One suggestion though if you can afford it or put on credit card is to buy the tab s9 and then see if you like it. You should be able to try the Samsung tablet and return it if you don't like it. Since you can't do that with the Xiaomi this way you could at least see what another high end Android tablet compares and then if you don't like the S 9 or it is more expensive you can open up the Xiaomi and see which you like?

Either way I am sure you will be happy!

If you open up the Xiaomi, please give us a detailed review! Love to see tech I can't buy and I have had Xiaomi phones in the past and really liked them. So it would be fun to see how the brand is progressing.

Reactions: Sensamic

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Well, after some thought I finally opened it and I'm pleasantly surprised by the 6S Pro 12.4.

I've only used it for about two hours, but it's great. Screen is super bright (might even say brighter than my previous iPad Pro M1), I can really feel the 144Hz, UI is nice looking and minimalistic (nicer looking than OneUI but with less options, even though there are plenty, as usual with Android), it's not that heavy, build quality is top notch, has all the features I wanted and some I didn't knew about (very similar lock screen personalization like iOS and OneUI), it charged from 50% to 100% EXTREMELY fast (like less than 20 minutes)...

Overall, as of now, I'm VERY happy with the purchase. 699€ with the keyboard. In my country (Spain), the iPad Air M1 64GB costs 689€, add 369€ for the Magic Keyboard and you can see why I went this route.

Will keep posting impressions tomorrow. Very happy with the purchase right now.

Reactions: Technerd108

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
So I just tried the official Xiaomi Pad 6S Pro keyboard. It's actually VERY good. Build quality is excellent for its price. I'm actually VERY impressed by this. I only had the chance of trying it briefly at the store before buying it. There is a lot of key travel, the trackpad is made of glass and very responsive (you can click on any part of it and it is a satisfying click, not cheap at all), the keyboard serves as a case and feels like leather (better than Apple Magic Keyboard)... There is also some very handy buttons for screen capture, brightness, volume, turning off the screen, do not disturb... It's very easy to pull down the notification panel and quick settings with gestures.

Still, the Apple Magic Keyboard feels more refined, no doubt, but its twice the price. The keys also have backlight, but not as good as Apple's. Overall I'd say this is a VERY good keyboard for the price, just the software needs to be more polished.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.