Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boswald

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2016
Florida
I bought a Pixel Tablet and have been happy. The dock is a bit of a gimmick, but I still use it to listen to music at night. Stock Android is clean and smooth, and other than the built-in kiddie apps, I haven’t had to remove or disable anything. It’s mostly used for the built-in Chromecast and Spotify, but I occasionally browse too. Overall, I don’t regret it.

Reactions: lostPod

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Can anyone recommend a good email app to use with corporate addresses? On OneUI and iOS I used the stock app, but Xiaomi doesn't have one.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
Can anyone recommend a good email app to use with corporate addresses? On OneUI and iOS I used the stock app, but Xiaomi doesn't have one.

I would suggest creating a separate thread for this. It seems off topic, and a dedicated thread for email apps on Android may be interesting.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Fun fact with the Pad 6S Pro. I found a way around the problem with Android apps not being optimized for tablets. With the Pad 6S Pro (don't know if it's the same with other Android tablets) I can open multiple apps in small pop-up windows, so they actually look like they're mobile apps and it's easier to use them. X is an example.

Right now I have X and Tapatalk open at the same time with this mobile pop-up view and I'm writing this with swipe Google keyboard in smaller size also, so it's more comfortable.
b05b4082018a54758750552e83d70216.jpg

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
Glad to see Google is now selling Pixel tablet without dock for $399. Should have done that from the start. I'm not currently in the market for a tablet, but if I was it would have my consideration.

Also good to see they're no longer fleecing those outside North America with massive markups (at least based on UK pricing). Last year Pixel tablet+dock combo was around 25% higher in UK than US (after removing VAT and converting GBP to USD). Now is only around 4% higher.

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
Really enjoying my Tab S9 Ultra. It feels like an actual productivity tool in comparison to the M1 iPad Pro that I used to have. The huge screen, speakers, and battery life are excellent. The software is clunkier in comparison to iPadOS, but it is still completely usable.

I purchased the S9 Ultra for less than $1,000 since I bought it open box (excellent condition) from Best Buy. In comparison, the base iPad Pro 13-inch is almost $400 more, excluding the Apple Pencil (Samsung includes the S-Pen for free with the Tab).

The S9 Ultra does what I need it to do. I am happy.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
Google's offering a Pixel Tablet for free with an iPad trade in. My 6th gen is worth $399 and the Pixel Tablet without dock is $399.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
It is annoying that Android browsers cannot import/export bookmarks.
This alone is moving me in the direction of a Chromebook.
Why must mobile browsers be so different from the desktop/laptop versions?
I will note that the DuckDuckGo browser can do this task, but it is not a browser for me just yet.
Still limping along in Beta.
Hmm I just noticed this as well. Why?!

Carrotstick

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2024
Really enjoying my Tab S9 Ultra. It feels like an actual productivity tool in comparison to the M1 iPad Pro that I used to have. The huge screen, speakers, and battery life are excellent. The software is clunkier in comparison to iPadOS, but it is still completely usable.

I purchased the S9 Ultra for less than $1,000 since I bought it open box (excellent condition) from Best Buy. In comparison, the base iPad Pro 13-inch is almost $400 more, excluding the Apple Pencil (Samsung includes the S-Pen for free with the Tab).

I can see why Apple charges more, they have the best OLED display now and best tablet processor.

The hardware has never been the problem with iPad Pros. With the latest one being the best tablet ever and it’s been hampered by iPadOS. Granted, Apple do have better apps but the OS itself does not match how far ahead the hardware is.

Reactions: drinkingtea

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
I can see why Apple charges more, they have the best OLED display now and best tablet processor.

The hardware has never been the problem with iPad Pros. With the latest one being the best tablet ever and it’s been hampered by iPadOS. Granted, Apple do have better apps but the OS itself does not match how far ahead the hardware is.
Definitely. It stuns me that the new iPad Pro has an M4 chip and for what? iPadOS is a glorified iOS OS. The iPad Pro has so much potential. I'm hoping Apple unveils more potential for iPadOS during WWDC.

I went back to regular mode on the Tab; DeX was a little too restrictive. I'm having no issues with regular mode; I really like that I can have apps in windowed mode and that I can toss them to the side of the screen when I am not using them. Really cool.

I love the huge screen and slim bezels. Even with the very slight increase, a 13-inch iPad is still a tad small for me with all of the apps I use at once for school work; the Ultra offers the best screen size for me.

The Tab ended up costing me $806 (open box, Best Buy gift card). Great deal.

Edit: I just wish more apps would support tablet mode. Insane how many don't.

Last edited:

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
I just wish more apps would support tablet mode. Insane how many don't.

That has also surprised me. None of my banking/financial apps supporting tablet mode will probably push me back to an iPad eventually.

The headline of this thread, that "Android tablets are dead", is evidenced more in Android software than hardware, IMO.

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
That has also surprised me. None of my banking/financial apps supporting tablet mode will probably push me back to an iPad eventually.

The headline of this thread, that "Android tablets are dead", is evidenced more in Android software than hardware, IMO.
I am definitely less impressed with the new iPad Pro considering how great the Tab S9 Ultra hardware is. It might not have Tandem OLED, but this screen is great and bright enough for me.

It's crazy how Spark Mail does not support tablet mode. I might switch to the Gmail app because of this.

Edit: For some reason, I cannot leave reviews for any apps in the Play Store. It does not give me an option to do so. Frustrating.

Edit #2: Canary Mail offers split view, but no dynamic icon... sigh.

I don't understand why Google allows these developers to half-ass their apps. Not that Google cares considering they still have unoptimized apps and apps with no dynamic icons.

Last edited:

jimimac71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2019
California
Hmm I just noticed this as well. Why?!
My iPad is no better. Only desktop/laptop browsers offer managing bookmarks, not just syncing.
I am inching closer to Linux, which will eventually replace my tablets for a laptop.
Linux because Apple is too rich for my blood and Windows is just too annoying.

• Love
Reactions: DeepIn2U

lostPod

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2022

I just wish there was a decent art or image editing creation app. I wish photoshop would come to android. I have a tab s7 with a beautiful screen but all the design apps are trash imo … unless I’ve missed one.

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
I just wish there was a decent art or image editing creation app. I wish photoshop would come to android. I have a tab s7 with a beautiful screen but all the design apps are trash imo … unless I’ve missed one.
I didn't even know Photoshop wasn't on the Play Store. How crazy. I was excited that GoodNotes was finally on the Play Store, but it it is a worse version of the iPadOS app, with many glitches.

I just don't understand why Google doesn't demand more from app developers. My thinking is that Google is largely concerned about gathering data since that is their main revenue. They just don't care how these apps look/work as long as Google gets our data.

Reactions: lostPod

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I didn't even know Photoshop wasn't on the Play Store. How crazy. I was excited that GoodNotes was finally on the Play Store, but it it is a worse version of the iPadOS app, with many glitches.

I just don't understand why Google doesn't demand more from app developers. My thinking is that Google is largely concerned about gathering data since that is their main revenue. They just don't care how these apps look/work as long as Google gets our data.
This is a bit of a stretch :), you honestly believe Apple have or demand some measure of the app functionality LOL

If you read their T&C's they are just middle men collecting fee's for the purchase transaction, they take 0 responsibility even in terms of security, data loss etc etc of 3rd party apps

Sure their development kits have rules on navigation and some aesthetics so there is a measure of core standard operations across the board but that is where it ends. They have 0 to do with how good the app is, they just want a slice of the purchase price.

At least with Google you get a brief window to try and refund, with Apple 0, there is no official refund policy only an exception case, if you are lucky, as you contract is with the developer, not Apple.

I think Apple just has clever marketing and encouraged perceptions vs actual s :)

Last edited:

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
This is a bit of a stretch :), you honestly believe Apple have or demand some measure of the app functionality LOL

If you read their T&C's they are just middle men collecting fee's for the purchase transaction, they take 0 responsibility even in terms of security, data loss etc etc of 3rd party apps

Sure their development kits have rules on navigation and some aesthetics so there is a measure of core standard operations across the board but that is where it ends. They have 0 to do with how good the app is, they just want a slice of the purchase price.

At least with Google you get a brief window to try and refund, with Apple 0, there is no official refund policy only an exception case, if you are lucky, as you contract is with the developer, not Apple.
It's well-known that developers prefer developing apps for Apple, and that iOS/iPad apps have an extra polish that their Android counterpoints usually don't. I'm not sure why you are getting so defensive, especially since I am Samsung fan, lol.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
It's well-known that developers prefer developing apps for Apple, and that iOS/iPad apps have an extra polish that their Android counterpoints usually don't. I'm not sure why you are getting so defensive, especially since I am Samsung fan, lol.
Ever thought some may prefer developing for IOS as the demographics are potentially for higher for sales as Apple targeted user are largely is in a higher price bracket, more disposable income etc LOL

Polish is largely perception/subjective :)

Nothing to do with being defensive just noting somethings a bit closer to factual boundaries/balance :)

FYI I currently have a MBP16, MBP14, IP15PM Fold and Flip 5, so nothing to do with Fan Boy's

There is no win win by picking either OS, both want your money

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
Ever thought some may prefer developing for IOS as the demographics are potentially for higher for sales as Apple targeted user are largely is in a higher price bracket, more disposable income etc LOL

This is a well-known fact as to why developers like developing for Apple… lol.

Carrotstick

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2024
At least with Google you get a brief window to try and refund, with Apple 0, there is no official refund policy only an exception case, if you are lucky, as you contract is with the developer, not Apple
I believe they do that now cause of a court case. Google didn’t do that out the goodness for consumers.

On the PC, Steam didn’t offer refunds till Australia sued Valve. Valve lost and then started offering refunds everywhere.

In saying that, can someone sue Apple for this? Loll

Right now, Apple only cares offers refunds not for trial but only if there’s a problem with the app.

Carrotstick

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2024
It’s not Googles fault that they aren’t many third party tablet apps on the play store. However. it is Googles fault that they largely gave up on first party tablet apps till last year.

Devs just prefer to stick with iPad because of its large market share. The level of polish comes from the devs.
Apple and devs like Blackmagic has been slowly adding “Pro” apps to iPad that will make the gap even bigger.
For photo and video editing, there no better tablet than iPad.

For note taking and productivity, most can make do with Samsung Tabs.

Android on tabs does have its niche and right now iPadOS doesn’t cover my needs as I need the ability to access apps that are outside of Apple’s App Store.

Reactions: drinkingtea
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.