Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I believe they do that now cause of a court case. Google didn’t do that out the goodness for consumers.

On the PC, Steam didn’t offer refunds till Australia sued Valve. Valve lost and then started offering refunds everywhere.

In saying that, can someone sue Apple for this? Loll

Right now, Apple only cares offers refunds not for trial but only if there’s a problem with the app.
I believe Google always had an instant app refund window and in 2014 it was extended from 15 mins to 2 hours, They have always differed from Apple in this respect who don't have an instant refund policy. Any Apple app refund is an exception on a case by case basis you have to submit with a valid reason. :)

I think otherwise you are referring to other digital services that have changed especially in EU

Reactions: Carrotstick

DeepSix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2022
I love Android phones but not Android tablets. One reason is because they have poor resale value. You can buy a top of the line Samsung Ultra S9 for say $1500 and use it for 3 years and you would be lucky to get $50 for it.

jimimac71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2019
California
I love Android phones but not Android tablets. One reason is because they have poor resale value. You can buy a top of the line Samsung Ultra S9 for say $1500 and use it for 3 years and you would be lucky to get $50 for it.
If you drop $1500 on a Samsung device, you should be guaranteed 5 or 6 years of support.
Apple products do have better resale but old is old.
The industry has burned into of minds that 3 years means it is time for a new one.
My 2019 iPad 7 is going EOL but is probably still worth half of the $209 (refurbished) I spent for it.
Why spend that kind of money for "the best" only to get rid of it in 3 years?
My iPad works as well as the day I got it, just has 32 GB storage. I get to use half of that.
I saved $120 on a refurbished product that was 2 years old.
That is not good resale value to me, except as a buyer.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Sold my Xiaomi Pad 6S Pro. Main reason was the size. I've always wanted an iPad 12.9, but I know it's not feasible to use it as a tablet. Happened that with the Xiaomi. Hardware was top notch, but software needed some more polish.

I'm now looking at the S9, but the S10 is around the corner. Are there any rumors about what it might bring? I'm guessing Snapdragon 8 Gen 3, 12GB RAM, 256GB for the basic configuration.

Seems there are not much benefits from having a Samsung phone and tablet besides being able to call and text from the tablet.

DeepSix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2022
If you drop $1500 on a Samsung device, you should be guaranteed 5 or 6 years of support.
Apple products do have better resale but old is old.
The industry has burned into of minds that 3 years means it is time for a new one.
My 2019 iPad 7 is going EOL but is probably still worth half of the $209 (refurbished) I spent for it.
Why spend that kind of money for "the best" only to get rid of it in 3 years?
My iPad works as well as the day I got it, just has 32 GB storage. I get to use half of that.
I saved $120 on a refurbished product that was 2 years old.
That is not good resale value to me, except as a buyer.

Good point. It's been a long time since I've had an Android tablet. If you have an iPad already what made you get the Samsung Ultra too?

Before getting my iPad I did really consider the S8 Ultra at the time. It was also like $1,600CAD so I couldnt justify it. Mind you this was when it very first came out.

But right now the s9 Ultra is on sale for $1200CAD Which I think is a very good deal. And when you compare that to the new iPad that's coming out next week It's a bargain. I'm talking the Ultra with the huge 14.6" screen.

The Samsung s9 Ultra with 14.6" screen is less right now than the 11-in iPad Pro OLED thats coming out next week. And you get an S pen with the Samsung included.

Carrotstick

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2024
Sold my Xiaomi Pad 6S Pro. Main reason was the size. I've always wanted an iPad 12.9, but I know it's not feasible to use it as a tablet. Happened that with the Xiaomi. Hardware was top notch, but software needed some more polish.

I'm now looking at the S9, but the S10 is around the corner. Are there any rumors about what it might bring? I'm guessing Snapdragon 8 Gen 3, 12GB RAM, 256GB for the basic configuration.

Seems there are not much benefits from having a Samsung phone and tablet besides being able to call and text from the tablet.
The tab s9 is good. There are rumours that Samsung might not release any tabs this year.

In the premium end of tablets I wouldn’t consider anyone but Samsung or Apple.

In the low, I would only use iPads because low end Android tablets around $300 have bad software support.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My iPad is no better. Only desktop/laptop browsers offer managing bookmarks, not just syncing.
I am inching closer to Linux, which will eventually replace my tablets for a laptop.
Linux because Apple is too rich for my blood and Windows is just too annoying.

Well with Linux - the default browser is FireFox.
Firefox has extension's for Samsung Internet browser to sync bookmarks - so there is an option to edit there (as well as Chrome and Edge extensions as well).

I've got a course beginning May 20 for Linux administration and I've already installed Kali Linux via WSL2 on my Win11 laptop and its singing quite well. LOTS to learn and UN-learn as they say.

PS: Install Termux and load your Linux Distro of choice if you're already on Android Tablets. Along with VNC I've got Kali running on my S23 whenever I'm out of a laptop/desktop computer again as I was from August to December 2023. Next purchasing a UPerfect 2K 16" 144hz portable gaming monitor as well for whenever I travel - that is until Samsung enables their S class devices to project Dex TO the Galaxy Tab S7-S9/S10 devices. There is a lot of data that is local (internal storage) that I've like not to sync yet be readily available to an external monitor with Logi BT KB+Mouse.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Link to windows, smart things ECO, DEX are 3 things that instantly come to mind :)
I use Mac and DEX doesn't need a Samsung phone to work, right? Don't know what smart things ECO is, but the smart things app works on any Android, doesn't it? Multi control is another benefit I think.

jimimac71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2019
California
Good point. It's been a long time since I've had an Android tablet. If you have an iPad already what made you get the Samsung Ultra too?

Before getting my iPad I did really consider the S8 Ultra at the time. It was also like $1,600CAD so I couldnt justify it. Mind you this was when it very first came out.

But right now the s9 Ultra is on sale for $1200CAD Which I think is a very good deal. And when you compare that to the new iPad that's coming out next week It's a bargain. I'm talking the Ultra with the huge 14.6" screen.

The Samsung s9 Ultra with 14.6" screen is less right now than the 11-in iPad Pro OLED thats coming out next week. And you get an S pen with the Samsung included.
Never said I had the Samsung Ultra.
Most expensive single purchase ever was my $1100/2007 iMac. My 2015 Dell AIO purchase at $700 was a superior investment.
There are times when the iPad is better but overall I get along with Android much more.
My goal is Linux on a laptop. Holding a 1 pound tablet up to my nearsighted face causes too much discomfort.

jimimac71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2019
California
Well with Linux - the default browser is FireFox.
Firefox has extension's for Samsung Internet browser to sync bookmarks - so there is an option to edit there (as well as Chrome and Edge extensions as well).

I've got a course beginning May 20 for Linux administration and I've already installed Kali Linux via WSL2 on my Win11 laptop and its singing quite well. LOTS to learn and UN-learn as they say.

PS: Install Termux and load your Linux Distro of choice if you're already on Android Tablets. Along with VNC I've got Kali running on my S23 whenever I'm out of a laptop/desktop computer again as I was from August to December 2023. Next purchasing a UPerfect 2K 16" 144hz portable gaming monitor as well for whenever I travel - that is until Samsung enables their S class devices to project Dex TO the Galaxy Tab S7-S9/S10 devices. There is a lot of data that is local (internal storage) that I've like not to sync yet be readily available to an external monitor with Logi BT KB+Mouse.
I read your post but didn't understand it.
I realize Firefox is the default browser with Linux as it is open source and Chrome is not.
Until I can move to Linux all the way, no tablet, I will use Chrome in Linux. I do like Firefox more, except on a tablet.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Never said I had the Samsung Ultra.
Most expensive single purchase ever was my $1100/2007 iMac. My 2015 Dell AIO purchase at $700 was a superior investment.
There are times when the iPad is better but overall I get along with Android much more.
My goal is Linux on a laptop. Holding a 1 pound tablet up to my nearsighted face causes too much discomfort.
If you want Linux on a laptop, get a pixel book.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I use Mac and DEX doesn't need a Samsung phone to work, right? Don't know what smart things ECO is, but the smart things app works on any Android, doesn't it? Multi control is another benefit I think.
I use Mac with parallels so link to windows works, both Samsung Phones and Tablets have DEX, Samsung ECO is much larger than Apple and Smart Things integrates many other 3rd party devices, like Apple things are better if you stay in the same ECO but not so essential in Samsung/Android

Reactions: DeepIn2U

jimimac71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2019
California
The problem with installing a Linux distro on a off the shelf laptop is you have to do work to get things to work like hibernate, suspend, function keys, wifi.
I'm looking at LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition).
I will dig deep to find a compatible laptop.
If not, and it will upset me, I'll get a Chromebook.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My iPad is no better. Only desktop/laptop browsers offer managing bookmarks, not just syncing.
I am inching closer to Linux, which will eventually replace my tablets for a laptop.
Linux because Apple is too rich for my blood and Windows is just too annoying.
my man!

Although if you have any Android Tablets of good quality and OS+Security patches, definitely consider using Termux to load Linux distro of your choice: Best of BOTH worlds.

I'm in the process of setting this up on my Galaxy S23 (my sole mobile) as I connect at home or abroad using FireStick 4K TV. 2 weeks from how I have a CyberSecurity + Linux Admin course that is 10mths long for nightschool and personally am dabling with Win11+WSL2+Kali with a bit of trouble regarding the WiFi NIC installed on my LENNy laptop - a stifle in my personal learning persuits.

My end goal is to rid myself of this LENny laptop and go with Tab S9 as a laptop replacement + Linux (Kali / CentOS Stream / ?) I like the ability of fully mobile with instant on and access to either OS. I already work with Windows for the past 2 decades yet its time to evolve.

PS: Never been a fan of Ubuntu an loathe how its popularity caused it to have such a limiting less widely-used package manager. Apple isn't just too rich for me, its too limiting both in its implementation, vision, and scope. They HAD vision waay back in 1987 with Knowledge Navigator for what the iPad COULD'VE been yet they became complacent with Siri bein just what it was for those sitting at Starbucks or for a jog. Their all about appearances, less about substance.

Let me know your plans and venture - maybe we can share ideas, bolster any of our weaknesses discovering Linux; unless i'm too newb compared to you.

Cheers.

Reactions: jimimac71

jimimac71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2019
California
my man!

Although if you have any Android Tablets of good quality and OS+Security patches, definitely consider using Termux to load Linux distro of your choice: Best of BOTH worlds.

I'm in the process of setting this up on my Galaxy S23 (my sole mobile) as I connect at home or abroad using FireStick 4K TV. 2 weeks from how I have a CyberSecurity + Linux Admin course that is 10mths long for nightschool and personally am dabling with Win11+WSL2+Kali with a bit of trouble regarding the WiFi NIC installed on my LENNy laptop - a stifle in my personal learning persuits.

My end goal is to rid myself of this LENny laptop and go with Tab S9 as a laptop replacement + Linux (Kali / CentOS Stream / ?) I like the ability of fully mobile with instant on and access to either OS. I already work with Windows for the past 2 decades yet its time to evolve.

PS: Never been a fan of Ubuntu an loathe how its popularity caused it to have such a limiting less widely-used package manager. Apple isn't just too rich for me, its too limiting both in its implementation, vision, and scope. They HAD vision waay back in 1987 with Knowledge Navigator for what the iPad COULD'VE been yet they became complacent with Siri bein just what it was for those sitting at Starbucks or for a jog. Their all about appearances, less about substance.

Let me know your plans and venture - maybe we can share ideas, bolster any of our weaknesses discovering Linux; unless i'm too newb compared to you.

Cheers.
I've tinkered with Linux before.
As we speak, I'm typing this on my PC with Linux Mint Debian Edition.
Just installed last night. Windows B Gone.
I like how it is based on Debian. Some believe Ubuntu rushes to meet the 6 month deadlines.
Debian won't do that and Linux Mint looks the same either way.
The Debian version is Cinnamon.
It is also 32/64-bit in the event you have something old enough to only run 32-bit.
Not finding any problems so far.
Some think I will have issues with a laptop converting to Linux from a Windows base.
My PC is a Dell AIO from 2014 with a Pentium Haswell CPU.
4+4 GB RAM of a laptop nature.
My old HP keyboard and MS mouse work fine but are USB.
The keyboard has volume and mute and it works.
The Fn + F2 sleep works too.
You may like this. Robby Payne, the heart of Chrome Unboxed released an article of having Chrome OS on an Android phone.
https://chromeunboxed.com/my-dreams-of-chromeos-running-on-a-phone-are-nearing-reality/

• Love

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The problem with installing a Linux distro on a off the shelf laptop is you have to do work to get things to work like hibernate, suspend, function keys, wifi.
False!

This isn't 2010, you're not going to run Fedora Core 1 or 2 that I first dabled in.

This is 2024 and your options are:
1. Linux Live boot USB/MicroSD devices and they have NO issues wiht sleep or hibernation, suspend or function keys (in ANY app or the kernel/GUI OS)! I get erked seeing such nonsense without specifics to a distro claiming what you've posted.

2. Windows 11 allows for WSL2 which I can run the Terminal of a ANY linux distro (doesn't have to be listed in the Windows App store BTW), and I can run the full linux OS simultaneously with Windows; just like Parallels with separate Windows and access to either file systems!

IN FACT the attached screenshot shows I'm running BOTH simultaneoushly
- Firefox top right hand corner is from Kali Linux via WSL2.
- Kali Linux menu top left hand corner as is the top menu bar with my sign-in name on the right.
- Win11 23H2 running taskbar front and center-bottom.
- Intel Core i7 8665U 4-cores/8-threads 1.9Ghz before any max boost and each sings side by side!
- No issues with: Suspend, Hibernation, or waking up from either or and I'm not even having a Qualcomm Atheros Wi-Fi chip within!!

To coin an EPMD track 'So Whatcha Sayin'

3. Many Distro's are running on ARM-based SoC's including Apple's M1, M2 Pro, and M2 Max SoC/APU's. 1 Debian-based Linux Distro has reportedly been used in the first consumer available/purchasable RISC-V chipset.

So you'll either need to check your Hypver-V and other settings in your EUFI/BIOS or update the EUFI/BIOS FW entirely before retrying any issues you've personally have been/are experiencing.

Cheers.

• Love
Reactions: jimimac71

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I read your post but didn't understand it.
I realize Firefox is the default browser with Linux as it is open source and Chrome is not.
Until I can move to Linux all the way, no tablet, I will use Chrome in Linux. I do like Firefox more, except on a tablet.
Cool.

Termux (available for Android, and updated on F-Droid.org and not PlayStore; fully safe & widely trusted) is a command-line terminal that loads bash and zsh shells, cmd-line prompts and features therein, for Android. It allows for sideloading apps and linux apps and scripts ... such as installing Linux Distro (several choices).

Chrome will work and will get you there.

Take notes along the way, not only helpful in re-creating your setup if needed, but also for troubleshooting when things go wrong.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I've tinkered with Linux before.
As we speak, I'm typing this on my PC with Linux Mint Debian Edition.
Just installed last night. Windows B Gone.
I like how it is based on Debian. Some believe Ubuntu rushes to meet the 6 month deadlines.
Debian won't do that and Linux Mint looks the same either way.
The Debian version is Cinnamon.
It is also 32/64-bit in the event you have something old enough to only run 32-bit.
Not finding any problems so far.
Some think I will have issues with a laptop converting to Linux from a Windows base.
My PC is a Dell AIO from 2014 with a Pentium Haswell CPU.
4+4 GB RAM of a laptop nature.
My old HP keyboard and MS mouse work fine but are USB.
The keyboard has volume and mute and it works.
The Fn + F2 sleep works too.
You may like this. Robby Payne, the heart of Chrome Unboxed released an article of having Chrome OS on an Android phone.
https://chromeunboxed.com/my-dreams-of-chromeos-running-on-a-phone-are-nearing-reality/
Sweet Jesus juice :D

Kali Linux is also Debian based and 64bit

How to you find LibreOffice's compatibility with MS Word? I've personally never used it.

jimimac71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2019
California
Sweet Jesus juice :D

Kali Linux is also Debian based and 64bit

How to you find LibreOffice's compatibility with MS Word? I've personally never used it.
I don't use MS Office. It is rare for me to even require a word processor at all. LibreOffice should be quite capable. OpenOffice too.
I had a little trouble yesterday installing Spotify.
It is a full featured version just like Windows.
I installed the Flatpak which didn't work.
The other install was a bit bashful at first.
To me, Linux is still Linux, but always improving.
You can't really compare open source and nonprofit distros to the fat cats at Microsoft and Apple.
Can't compare Android or Chrome OS either.
Of the half dozen or so distros I've tried, Mint is my favorite.
A lot has changed since I tried Ubuntu 08.04 using VirtualBox on my 2007 iMac.
Hey! Thanks for the above post (False!) about Linux and laptops! There are potential issues with Nvidia discreet graphics. I would speculate a little about a biometric sensor on a laptop. That could be tied to Windows but I really don't know. You would suspect a backlit keyboard, on the other hand, is hardware and should work no matter what.
I will be looking but I'm not ready for a laptop.
Many claim Chromebooks are too expensive for the good stuff.
Since this thread is about Android tablets, I would have to tie it together by saying Linux on a tablet or phone could be really tricky.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Geez I've never come close to spending that on a tablet. I got the Tab S7 when the 8s came out and traded in my Tab S2 and got more than $50. Depends when you do it.

I been trading them in instead of trying to sell them. I keep them a long time so I don't really care about resale value.
Apple anything cost too much new or used.

jimimac71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2019
California
Geez I've never come close to spending that on a tablet. I got the Tab S7 when the 8s came out and traded in my Tab S2 and got more than $50. Depends when you do it.

I been trading them in instead of trying to sell them. I keep them a long time so I don't really care about resale value.
I suppose these $1500 products will continue to be made as long as people are willing to buy them.
"There's a sucker born every minute."
Showing my age, my first used car was $700 and my second was $650. This was the 1970s.
Still less than $1500. Guess my mind is stuck in the past.

• Love

DeepSix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2022

S8 Ultra when it came out was $1600CAD MSRP and remained that way for a long time. Now the S9 Ultra is on sale for $1250CAD and its tempting at that price. But I just don't have a use case for it other than media consumption. That aspect ratio and in that size would be amazing but I can also use my 11 ipad for that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.