Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
iCloud stuff, understandably. And it doesn't play nice with my hearing aid, which Apple has always been brilliant at supporting.

Reactions: ozaz

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
iCloud stuff, understandably. And it doesn't play nice with my hearing aid, which Apple has always been brilliant at supporting.
I always here stories like this for the first month of owning a Lenovo tablet. The hardware is generally stellar for the price but the big catch is the software is terrible. You won't notice at first until you come across your first glitch. Then Lenovo is lazy with updates and never fix anything. On top of that they poorly optimize (read no optimization at all) the Android versions on their tablets.

So I would immediately return the tablet and get your money back. I am not trying to bring you down or hurt your feelings but trying to save you a headache I went through and many others in the future.

If you want a tablet on Android that you can enjoy the entire supported lifetime I would get a Tab S9 11" or higher by Samsung. Yes it is expensive but you will have ever feature possible and performance for years. So you are paying more but with a tab s9 you can enjoy lag free experience for many years and instead of buying a cheap tablet every 2 years or so you keep the s9 for 5 years or as long as Samsung supports it. Possible they will extend to 7 years?? Or maybe tab s10.

The reason I say this is because most people who come from Apple are used to dropping $500 or more fir an iPad easy but then they expect a $200 Android tablet to replicate the experience they had with their iPad. It just isn't going to happen but if you get a mid range or high end Android tablet you will be surprised how much similar and in some cases better than an iPad.

Once you have had a good Android tablet, Pixel Tablet is like $399 on sale. Good place to start. Then you will get fast proper updates, bugs will get fixed and you will have a generally responsive experience for the life of the tablet.

Now. If you decided to keep the Lenovo tablet then just be mindful of updates and any bugs. Don't let Lenovo get away with poor after sake support. They get you with cheap hardware then forget about you. Hopefully they have changed since the year and half ago I got rid of my P11 plus.

Good luck to you, whatever you decide.

I would also recommend the Apple iPad air 5th gen base model. It needs more storage but at the price with a decent screen and M1 with 8gb ram and pencil 2 support is a really good device to consider. Sometimes things look better on the other side but then you realize that the side you were on is good.. Only you know what is best for you but I would value long term software support and fast updates over cheap hardware. But that is my opinion and experience.

Reactions: Seamaster

macfacts

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
With android tablets, they have GPS too. With apple, you need to purchase the cellular version to get GPS.

I started this thread because I thought Chromebooks were the future but recently bought a Lenovo duet 3 but find the multitasking poor (using split screen) compared to android (galaxy tab 6lite).

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
With android tablets, they have GPS too. With apple, you need to purchase the cellular version to get GPS.

I started this thread because I thought Chromebooks were the future but recently bought a Lenovo duet 3 but find the multitasking poor (using split screen) compared to android (galaxy tab 6lite).
Chrome as a tablet is just not very good. I tried with the slate Google discontinued. It was a great slate but Google just didn't continue to optimize Chrome OS for a tablet. It was always a hybrid and that is why a traditional clamshell style Chromebook is best in my personal opinion.

I think Dex can almost replace a Chromebook on a decent spec tablet. I think tab s8 with Dex would work well.

But true multi tasking is best with Windows or MacOS in my opinion.

I didn't know wifi iPads didn't have GPS?? I thought they did. iPad air 4th and 5th gen should have GPS even on wifi model? I will have to check.

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
If you decided to keep the Lenovo tablet then just be mindful of updates and any bugs. Don't let Lenovo get away with poor after sake support. They get you with cheap hardware then forget about you. Hopefully they have changed since the year and half ago I got rid of my P11 plus.

Lenovo is promising Android 14 and Android 15 OS upgrades, along with security patches until January 2028. But there's no possibility of me owning it that long. I'll be back to an iPad sooner or later, I know that. This thing is a cheap stop-gap purchase. But I'm impressed with it for the price, nevertheless.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Lenovo is promising Android 14 and Android 15 OS upgrades, along with security patches until January 2028. But there's no possibility of me owning it that long. I'll be back to an iPad sooner or later, I know that. This thing is a cheap stop-gap purchase. But I'm impressed with it for the price, nevertheless.
Yeah, you can't beat the hardware for the price that is for sure. Hope it works out for the best.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
But true multi tasking is best with Windows or MacOS in my opinion.
True multitasking? Care to elaborate.

I didn't know wifi iPads didn't have GPS?? I thought they did. iPad air 4th and 5th gen should have GPS even on wifi model? I will have to check.
Yup, this is true. That’s why I always opt for the cellular iPad models due to the integrated GPS… WiFi models do not include a GPS.

I tend to use my iPad as a means for navigation when traveling.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
True multitasking? Care to elaborate.

Yup, this is true. That’s why I always opt for the cellular iPad models due to the integrated GPS… WiFi models do not include a GPS.

I tend to use my iPad as a means for navigation when traveling.
Yes, true multi tasking with heavy applications like you can do on a Mac or Windows. In terms of multiple Android apps and mobile chrome then sure no problem.

I think that Dex can be extremely useful and offer almost a full desktop experience with certain limitations.

I thought that Stage manager was bad but after using it a bit I like it. The way the windows are off to the side is pretty cool. Using it on a Mac seems more useful than an iPad though. But Dex is a better implementation in the sense you have real windows and can be moved, resized, etc. and it works better with smaller screens like a tablet than stage manager which is better for larger screens.

Interesting about GPS.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
iPads are really still the best Android tablets. You can replace nearly every default app with its Google equivalent but you also get the richer iPad ecosystem.

• Angry
Reactions: TPadden

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Yes, true multi tasking with heavy applications like you can do on a Mac or Windows. In terms of multiple Android apps and mobile chrome then sure no problem.

I think that Dex can be extremely useful and offer almost a full desktop experience with certain limitations.

I thought that Stage manager was bad but after using it a bit I like it. The way the windows are off to the side is pretty cool. Using it on a Mac seems more useful than an iPad though. But Dex is a better implementation in the sense you have real windows and can be moved, resized, etc. and it works better with smaller screens like a tablet than stage manager which is better for larger screens.

Interesting about GPS.
True? And Real?

I think that’s more subjective… then comes the question, how do you define multitasking? Or Windows? I look at multitasking as two or more windows (apps) actively on screen and the iPad can certainly do that. Granted, the Mac and Windows do it differently.

But I don’t view it as true multitasking… but that Stage Manager perform multitasking differently. You might come to the conclusion that DeX is better, but that’s because it’s comparable to Mac or Windows (something users are familiar with). But I actually prefer using Stage Manager over DeX due to the overall experience.

Stage Manager has better trackpad (more gestures) and mouse control along with wide range of keyboard shortcuts… these key factors help in providing a better multitasking experience (imo).

Reactions: max2

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
I tried to warn you not to get the a7 and get either the a8 or a9. Seems like the a9 is a big upgrade in the budget space. I would buy one of these if I didn't already have a tablet I like.

Return the tab a7 lite as fast as you can and get this instead. All of your problems will be solved. It will cost more money but it will be worth it and last you at least 4 years fully supported!

This tablet is so much better. It has a 90hz screen. much better processor, ram, and great 10.5" size.

Always buy the newest model. It will always be much better than a model a few years old, specially on the low end. As tech gets cheaper you get cool new features like 90hz screen. Lets see Apple put a 90hz screen in a sub $200 tablet!!
That's what I have but I notice it's on 5.1, dude to the old software so.eprograms like sdmaid don't run well. Also thea k of accessories. I debating taking it back and keeping the iPad

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
That's what I have but I notice it's on 5.1, dude to the old software so.eprograms like sdmaid don't run well. Also thea k of accessories. I debating taking it back and keeping the iPad
Any iPad will cost considerably more. Also entry level iPads suck in my opinion. You need at least a 5th gen air. You can get those around $450 or so which is a steal considering it has M1 and 8gb ram on an iPad. So if you go Apple you are going to pay more but a 5th gen air or 6th gen coming up would last you many, many years of trouble free use if you care for it.

I would only consider a Samsung tab s9 11" base model or iPad air 5th gen and the air is cheaper. The hardware on the air is not as good in terms of screen and speakers but performance is the same. You get a lot more storage on the Galaxy tab and if you get the 256gb air then the cost is closer to the base model s9 11". Of course the Pixel Tablet is also a good affordable mid range tablet often on sale for $399.

If you just want a cheap Android tablet I would get the latest mid range tablet Samsung offers or you could try Lenovo. I tried them a couple years ago and the software was a mess but the hardware was amazing for the price. If Lenovo has improved since then they offer the best hardware for the best price when they are on sale. You have to check Lenovo website often because they have flash sales and you can get a very nice tablet for around $300 or less. $200-$300 range. Again software support might be bad so you have to consider that but I am pretty sure they give at least 2 years updates and now maybe more. They will not be fast and may miss some but again maybe things have changed.

Generally on Android cheap but good hardware is paired with poorly supported software. Good and expensive will get you both. If you go Apple you will pay a ton of money and each step up is better but still hobbled until you go Pro. Of course there is no point to a Pro iPad when iPad OS is rather limited but if you want 120hz screen on a tablet, better speakers, etc which are not necessarily pro features as they add a lot of value for content consumption and gaming. Other than professional or learning digital artists I don't see why the Pro exists other than to have a name that seems expensive. The Pro and air should be the only iPads in my opinion and they should cost a lot less......

But only new Tablets on the high end of Android will get even close to the same level of long term software updates and support. So if I was going to buy a Tablet and wanted the most longevity and performance for my dollar then the iPad air 5th gen base model is about the best value tablet on the market-period. If you want my advice to sum up all of this, get an iPad air 5th gen and return whatever you bought or pay more for Android.

jimimac71

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2019
California
Obviously (so cheap I squeak jimimac71) has no choice but to disagree. I would not buy the iPad 9 as it will likely go EOL in 2 years. My iPad 7 is EOL now. I can agree the M1 or better means longer life for updates. That would not stop me from wanting a refurbished iPad again. My iPad 7 is 2019 and I got it in 2021. So I gave up 2 years of OS updates to save $120. My iPad is 3/32, which may have been fine in 2019, even though my 2019 Samsung Tab A is 3/64.
Even my Amazon tablet from 2019 was 2/64.
My 2017 Amazon tablet was 2/32.
Granted, an 8/256 M1+ Air would totally rock. For the right price, I would go for less. Any new iPads (this month!) would make the older models (refurbished) more affordable.
To me, it is stupid for Apple to continue selling the (new) iPad 9.

Reactions: Technerd108

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Is anyone making an Android tablet that competes well with the iPad mini? It seems like all the smaller ones are a little too 'budget' for my tastes.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Is anyone making an Android tablet that competes well with the iPad mini? It seems like all the smaller ones are a little too 'budget' for my tastes.
Unfortunately, no.

Being honest because I wish there was.

Most small Android tablets are budget only.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: dmr727

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Obviously (so cheap I squeak jimimac71) has no choice but to disagree. I would not buy the iPad 9 as it will likely go EOL in 2 years. My iPad 7 is EOL now. I can agree the M1 or better means longer life for updates. That would not stop me from wanting a refurbished iPad again. My iPad 7 is 2019 and I got it in 2021. So I gave up 2 years of OS updates to save $120. My iPad is 3/32, which may have been fine in 2019, even though my 2019 Samsung Tab A is 3/64.
Even my Amazon tablet from 2019 was 2/64.
My 2017 Amazon tablet was 2/32.
Granted, an 8/256 M1+ Air would totally rock. For the right price, I would go for less. Any new iPads (this month!) would make the older models (refurbished) more affordable.
To me, it is stupid for Apple to continue selling the (new) iPad 9.
I agree the the new 10th gen iPad is just an odd one. You pay MSRP of $450 but you can get an air 5th gen for the same price from a 3rd party on sale. So who would buy the gimped 10th gen?? Even if you got the 4th gen air for say $350 ish that would be 10x better than the 10th gen Ipad with non laminated screen and 1st gen pencil with lightning, when the 4th and 5th gen airs have a very nice laminated screen with pencil 2 support, better speakers and overall design. It is just the 4th gen air chip is getting a bit old now. I would think 5th gen air is better for longevity.

We are all cheap if we are smart about tech. Lol. I am just saying that there is a limit to where cheaper is a worse value and where more expensive is a worse value or a diminishing return on cost. So it is better to spend the least amount possible for the best experience possible.

In that equation in my opinion over all the cheap Android tablets and iPads and expensive ones there are two I think represent the best value giving you the best features and longest life span while spending as little as possible and those are the 5th gen iPad air. Yes, wait for the new releases and sales will go even lower on the 5th gen air.

For Android the Pixel Tablet at $399 on sale or less is also a good value, has a decent feature set and processor and will be updated for years.

Of the two I would get the 5th gen iPad every day. It is expensive no doubt even for a mid range device but I really think for your needs it has the perfect balance of everything for the lowest price possible.

In my humble opinion buying cheap Android tablets is throwing your money away. But I get it. Sometimes we just don't have the money. I would try Swappa and see if you could find a used 5th gen air base model for around $300? Worth a try to see what prices and conditions are going for used. Sometimes you can pick up a barely used device pretty cheap. Same with a used Tab S8 or S9?

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
Last edited:
Reactions: dmr727

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
No lol the best iPad mini form is certainly the foldables which aren’t close price wise of course

LaterWolf

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2022
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
They might be dead for some companies, but for others no, just no
Case in point Samsung, they make some of the best tablets (well android ones), and the new s9s are actually really good

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Don't know how well they compare to iPad mini, but Galaxy Tab Active 5 and Lenovo Legion Y700 are two smallish (sub 9") Android tablets released since 2022 that probably wouldn't be considered budget.

Appreciate the ideas! The Legion especially looks really nice - just gotta wait for it to be released outside of China. But it's nice to see some options out there.

Reactions: ozaz

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
BTW, the Active 5 isn't that appealing as it is a rugged tablet..

Yeah, it's just a bit heavier than I'd want it to be. I use my iPad mini primarily as a Kindle replacement, so size, weight, and the quality of the screen are the most important. But I keep thinking it'd be nice to do some retro gaming too, and I'm tired of the hacky crap (jailbreak, dev account, etc) that needs to happen on the iPad to get emulators to work.

jimimac71

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2019
California
The iPad Mini is a better tablet than iPad, right?
For me it would be even smaller than my A7 lite.
It is possible smaller Android tablets don't make sense versus a phone.
I have issues with both iPad and Android tablets.
No Chrome homepage on iPad.
With Chrome on Android, YouTube videos open in the app.
Both have good and bad.
I still enjoy Android just a little more, especially with the Samsung UI.
What I need for any device is the equivalent to a music stand.
Needs to be at eye level and quite close.
That would change everything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.