Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
If lengthy period of software and security updates is high on your priority list, is there any point looking beyond Google and Samsung (when it comes to choosing an Android device)?

Do any other Android device makers match or come close to these two on duration of updates?

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
OnePlus matches Google on Android updates (three years) but only has four years of security updates versus Google and Samsung's five. Nokia's XR20 is also getting three years of Android updates and four years of security updates.

Keep in mind that updates are from when the phone launched, not necessarily from when it is being purchased. The XR20, for example, has already been out for over a year.

Reactions: ozaz

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
OnePlus matches Google on Android updates (three years) but only has four years of security updates versus Google and Samsung's five

Is this for all their phones, or only flagships?
I can't find a OnePlus page explaining their device update policy.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
If lengthy period of software and security updates is high on your priority list, is there any point looking beyond Google and Samsung (when it comes to choosing an Android device)?

Do any other Android device makers match or come close to these two on duration of updates?
Correct. If updates and device longevity are important factors, there's no point getting anything other than Samsung or Google.
OnePlus is not consistent, and they have blatantly broken promises in the past. I'm surprised that there are still people supporting this company after all the things they did.
Samsung is currently the gold standard imo. It's easy to provide long support for $1000 devices, but the challenge is in the lower end, and Samsung even gives at least 2 years of OS updates and 4 years of security patches (albeit either quarterly or bi-yearly) even on their cheapest devices.

The wild card is Nothing. They promised 3 years of OS upgrades and 4 years of security patch. It's still behind Samsung for the price they're charging, but it's quite good amongst the Chinese OEMs.

Imo the main problem is Google's own certification process. To get Android handsets certified, Google only require 2 years of quarterly security patches. Thus many OEMs are operating at just the minimum requirement.

Reactions: ozaz

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
Reactions: dk001 and ozaz

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
Imo the main problem is Google's own certification process. To get Android handsets certified, Google only require 2 years of quarterly security patches. Thus many OEMs are operating at just the minimum requirement.

EU regulators are reportedly looking to require Android OEMs to offer a minimum of three years of Android updates and five years of security updates thereby matching what Google currently guarantees with Pixel phones. Whether or not it goes through and/or becomes legislation in other countries remains to be seen.

Reactions: MiniApple

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
EU regulators are reportedly looking to require Android OEMs to offer a minimum of three years of Android updates and five years of security updates thereby matching what Google currently guarantees with Pixel phones. Whether or not it goes through and/or becomes legislation in other countries remains to be seen.
Is that true? Care to share any links about it? Genuinely interested.
It’s also sad that such good thing for the ecosystem (Android) must come from regulation instead of Google themselves.

Reactions: 5105973

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I've had several Samsung Galaxy phones and I only got 1 OS update (on one I didn't get any) on each and I had them for at least 2 years.

Samsung isn't fast to get out updates.
When the last time you have a Samsung?
Some mid range Samsung phones from 2018 are still getting security patches.
And have you looked at the other Android OEMs? The likes of Oppo and Vivo won't even give you an OS update on their mid range, and only give maybe 1 OS update for their flagships.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
And have you looked at the other Android OEMs? The likes of Oppo and Vivo won't even give you an OS update on their mid range, and only give maybe 1 OS update for their flagships.
GS 9 was my last. Id get security patches but not necessarily the latest OS. They aren't very fast with those. And I really don't care to much about that. If I get it while I have the phone or Tablet then great. Just saying they are slow doing that.

I really like Samsung phones though and the extra things they have in the OS.
Little things on Pixel using stock android don't work as well on some apps. Like a package tracker app I use for deliveries and sending things.
I mean it works on both but text is supposed to be in green on delivery dates and expected dates and the text is white and just different on Pixels.

My clock and weather apps don't work as consistant on Pixels as they do on Samsung. They have trouble with custom colors. The weather app the colors won't work at all and text stays white.
My Yahoo fantasy football app on Pixel doesn't show the important colors either. Green means good matchup for players and red is not a good matchup, etc. I dont get none of that on the 4a or the 7. I don't get why that is since it's still android.

Just a few examples.

Last edited:

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains

The weather may be changing on that.
My 1+ 9 Pro has had Android 11, 12, and 13 (gifted to my son)
My 1+ 10 Pro has had 12 and 13 - not even a year old.

I think things are changing and we will see more for mid to flag for long term support.

Bento.Box

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2022
I would assume Fairphone offers a very long amount of software support and security updates. However, I haven't had one yet.

Samsung and Google..not so much.
Had a Motorola (later Google) Flipout and a Samsung Galaxy Phone a bit later. They received not more than the usual one major update and a bit of security fixes. Not more than 2 years. If you install alternate firmware on it, you usually get longer software support, but you'll have to flash yourself and not all phones are supported.

but for this reason, I buy apple.

Bento.Box

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2022
Have you actually LOOKED at recent policies? Google and Samsung are giving at least 3 years of OS upgrades plus a couple more of security patches.

Better: I have had Samsung and Google devices and speak from experience.

If you want long support, go for the Fairphone. There's a reason it's one of the more popular android phones.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016

If you want long support, go for the Fairphone. There's a reason it's one of the more popular android phones.
I have never heard of Fairphone. Is this phone sold in the US? You say you assume Fairphone offers long support but in a previous comment you say you haven't had one yet. Are you referring to the actual phone?

I'm also puzzled by your two statements that a) you assume that Fairphone offers long support but when you add the word assume into a sentence that denotes you are taking it for granted and really aren't sure. Then b) you say they offer long support as if it is fact.

Bento.Box

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2022
I have never heard of Fairphone.

Why not?
Edit: Ah, I checked, it doesn't regularly ship outside of Europe.

Is this phone sold in the US? You say you assume Fairphone offers long support but in a previous comment you say you haven't had one yet. Are you referring to the actual phone?

The Fairphone 4 offers 5 years of hardware and software support, at least that's what it says on their website.

I'm also puzzled by your two statements that a) you assume that Fairphone offers long support but when you add the word assume into a sentence that denotes you are taking it for granted and really aren't sure.

I haven't personally had one yet, so I can't speak from experience.
Previously, I bought only phones with a physical keyboard (with the exception of some HTC phone running android 1.6). When this restriction got removed, due to me texting way less on the phone, the iPhone mini won out due to the smaller form factor and running iOS.

I've had google and samsung phones before and usually they come with (max) one major Android upgrade and maybe a bit of security updates, usually netting to 1 to 2 years after purchase. My friends, who have Fairphones, told me that they hadn't had issues getting parts and software for longer than that.

Last edited:

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Recent ones, or are you simply here to bash Android/Samsung/Google?
Pixel 7 will get OS updates until at least 2025, security until 2027, and you can hang your hat on those.

Samsung goes 4 years of OS and 5 of security for the Galaxy S series devices - https://news.samsung.com/global/sam...-up-to-date-and-more-secure-galaxy-experience

The Fairphone 4 offers 5 years of hardware and software support, at least that's what it says on their website.
So, equal to Samsung.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains

Fairphone?
Not a brand I have heard much of. I am assuming it is of limited connectivity in the US...

Update: Just looked them up and they are very limited here.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010

I've never even had luck with Samsung. With GS8+, Oreo was still coming "soon" when I went back to Apple. ZF4 still doesn't have 13

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Android OEM's have little incentive until recently to update their devices as their business model rely on selling new devices as fast as possible. One Plus started offering a new "flagship" phone almost every 6 months or so.

Mid range and low range Android phones basically have no incentive to update the phone beyond quarterly security patches if you are lucky.

It is a huge problem that almost always gets overlooked and brushed under the table.

Fragmentation in regards to updates and frequency is why I bought an iPhone. You are basically buying a throw away device with a lot of Android phones.

I wish Google would give major updates separate from the rom customization that OEM's do. I know part of it is licensing and part of it is making Android work across a huge range of devices but if they updated in a way similar to ChromeOS it would be so much better.

It kind of sucks basically having two choices for OEM's if you want decent software support. I am very happy with Samsung giving 4 OS updates and 5 years of security patches. Makes their devices a lot more attractive to keep your phone longer and for resale.

I know a lot of people still like OnePlus but ever since they basically merged with OPPO their software has gone downhill. They used to be the best even if their cameras always sucked. If you have one and it works for you then I am not trying to take anything away from that but I remember a while back when their phones were much more affordable and they had solid reliable cutting edge software and now it has changed.

Bento.Box

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2022
Recent ones, or are you simply here to bash Android/Samsung/Google?

Why are you so emotional when someone talks about their experiences with Android phones?

If you want to buy one, go ahead. I‘m not stopping you. But I‘ll be buying Apple because of the longer software support.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Why are you so emotional when someone talks about their experiences with Android phones?

If you want to buy one, go ahead. I‘m not stopping you. But I‘ll be buying Apple because of the longer software support.
I'm fine with the length of time Samsung or Pixel will be supported. I have never kept a phone for 5 years. Not even 3, I usually keep them 2 to 2.5 years.
So Apple and,SS, Google, etc.... could support them for 10 years and it's irrelevant to me.

Reactions: dk001
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.