Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
Better: I have had Samsung and Google devices and speak from experience.
From which year? Their current policies seem better to what they were even a couple of years ago, especially for Samsung.

The Fairphone 4 offers 5 years of hardware and software support, at least that's what it says on their website.

This is interesting, and makes them one to watch for me. Although the website doesn’t mention how many of those years will be version updates and how many will be security updates as far as I can see.

ZF4 still doesn't have 13

Looks like it’s rolling out now.

It kind of sucks basically having two choices for OEM's if you want decent software support. I am very happy with Samsung giving 4 OS updates and 5 years of security patches. Makes their devices a lot more attractive to keep your phone longer and for resale.

Yeah - as someone who currently uses iOS but is considering Android, the only non-iOS manufacturers who really look appealing to me at the moment are Samsung and Google (and maybe now Fairphone), and it’s largely because of recent improvements to update policies (with Samsung in particular looking appealing).

Good to hear that OnePlus have made improvements to their update policies but excluding their midrange phones from this makes them less appealing for me.

Last edited:

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Better: I have had Samsung and Google devices and speak from experience.

If you want long support, go for the Fairphone. There's a reason it's one of the more popular android phones.
Your experience, although valid, is outdated.
And Fairphone is worse than Google Pixel in terms of actual availability.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I've never even had luck with Samsung. With GS8+, Oreo was still coming "soon" when I went back to Apple. ZF4 still doesn't have 13
Can you specify specific features that you want on Android 13? I have OneUI 5 (Android 13) already on my S21, and the only new thing I noticed was the change (yet again) in how notifications banner are displayed. A user will have a hard time differentiating between OneUI4 (Android 12) and OneUI5 (Android 13). So I don't understand the rush to get it right away when OneUI itself is already so feature rich.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Why are you so emotional when someone talks about their experiences with Android phones?
My point is that you're basing your comments on outdated experiences, and steering people from getting Google and Samsung to instead suggest Fairphone because of their update policies that are now identical to those of Google and Samsung.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ian87w

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
Applied A13 update on OnePlus 8T the other day. It is working flawlessly (same was the case with A11 and A12).

Pixel 6 was mediocre and 7 is not dramatically different. Maybe 8 or 9 will have a better quality display, shorter charging time, radio, ...

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Applied A13 update on OnePlus 8T the other day. It is working flawlessly (same was the case with A11 and A12).

Pixel 6 was mediocre and 7 is not dramatically different. Maybe 8 or 9 will have a better quality display, shorter charging time, radio, ...
Well Pixel devices have never been about raw power or the very best hardware other than the camera. They have been and still are about the software. Providing a clean and useful device that integrates googles services(and tracking) seamlessly into your life.

I think the Pixel 7 is a decent step in that direction and if I were to have the choice between an (Oppo) OnePlus and Pixel I would choose the Pixel every time. Hardware and specs only get you so far. Software stability and optimization are far more important and if I want someone snooping on me (which I don't) I would prefer Google to the PRC.

OnePlus used to be such a rising star and I loved their phones but things have changes a lot. If you like your OnePlus and it has served you well I am certainly not trying to take that away from you, just my opinion of the two.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Can you specify specific features that you want on Android 13? I have OneUI 5 (Android 13) already on my S21, and the only new thing I noticed was the change (yet again) in how notifications banner are displayed. A user will have a hard time differentiating between OneUI4 (Android 12) and OneUI5 (Android 13). So I don't understand the rush to get it right away when OneUI itself is already so feature rich.
Well, for me. I'm only interested in the stack widget features and DeX added features on OneUI 5.0. But you are correct... there's not much changed from OneUI 4.0 to OneUI 5.0.

MiniApple

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2020
an often overlooked issue on Android based phones

If you want reliable, timely and frequent security updates (monthly vs quarterly, 6 months or worse) and a longevity (4+ years) of the device, you basically have one option: Google Pixel with Android (or GrapheneOS if you have a model that can be OEM unlocked - usually it's just those from Google directly btw.)

I know Samsung started to provide 5ish OS updates and security updates on some of their new higher end phones, but I don't know how frequent/timely the security updates are.

Fairphone said that they will try to extend the support of the Fairphone 4 device - not just with OS versions, but also security on their own, even after the manufacturers/suppliers stop providing them. Don't doubt their intentions, but the jury is still out on those. Also I'm not familiar with how frequent/timely the security updates currently are.

Qualcomm and other chip makers really do the absolute minimum with (security) updates and support length 🤬
Device manufacturers also have little interest: they prefer you buy a new device and not having to pay and use staff for OS/security updates.

Thus I'm really hoping the proposed EU regulations (for support length, repairability etc.) come to fruition and do so ASAP 🤞🤞🤞

Reactions: ozaz

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
an often overlooked issue on Android based phones

If you want reliable, timely and frequent security updates (monthly vs quarterly, 6 months or worse) and a longevity (4+ years) of the device, you basically have one option: Google Pixel with Android (or GrapheneOS if you have a model that can be OEM unlocked - usually it's just those from Google directly btw.)

I know Samsung started to provide 5ish OS updates and security updates on some of their new higher end phones, but I don't know how frequent/timely the security updates are.

Fairphone said that they will try to extend the support of the Fairphone 4 device - not just with OS versions, but also security on their own, even after the manufacturers/suppliers stop providing them. Don't doubt their intentions, but the jury is still out on those. Also I'm not familiar with how frequent/timely the security updates currently are.

Qualcomm and other chip makers really do the absolute minimum with (security) updates and support length 🤬
Device manufacturers also have little interest: they prefer you buy a new device and not having to pay and use staff for OS/security updates.

Thus I'm really hoping the proposed EU regulations (for support length, repairability etc.) come to fruition and do so ASAP 🤞🤞🤞
The problem stems from Google itself. To get their handset certified by Google, OEMs only need to provide 2 years of quarterly security patches. That’s it. Yup, not even an Android version upgrade is required. Google set the bar so low that majorly of OEMs simply don’t do more than the bare minimum.

Next, and you said, are the component makers themselves, especially Qualcomm, who don’t even want to provide drivers for their chips that long. This is why Google themselves are doing their own custom chip now.

Samsung is literally the only OEM strong enough to provide lengthy support since they not only the only Android OEM generating more profit than the rest (more resources to provide support for older devices), they also make components and have their own fab.

Having said that, unfortunately device turnover on Android customers remain high. People are not sticking to their devices as long as iPhone users. Even n the high end, people are mostly yearly upgraders. Just look here where people are upgrading their foldables and flagship phones on a yearly basis. There’s a reason that the Chinese are churning out new looking models every 6 months. The upgrade cycle of Android consumers are simply shorter in general. Thus most OEMs don’t feel the need to provide lengthy support to their devices.

Reactions: MiniApple

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
The problem stems from Google itself. To get their handset certified by Google, OEMs only need to provide 2 years of quarterly security patches. That’s it. Yup, not even an Android version upgrade is required. Google set the bar so low that majorly of OEMs simply don’t do more than the bare minimum.

Next, and you said, are the component makers themselves, especially Qualcomm, who don’t even want to provide drivers for their chips that long. This is why Google themselves are doing their own custom chip now.

Samsung is literally the only OEM strong enough to provide lengthy support since they not only the only Android OEM generating more profit than the rest (more resources to provide support for older devices), they also make components and have their own fab.

Having said that, unfortunately device turnover on Android customers remain high. People are not sticking to their devices as long as iPhone users. Even n the high end, people are mostly yearly upgraders. Just look here where people are upgrading their foldables and flagship phones on a yearly basis. There’s a reason that the Chinese are churning out new looking models every 6 months. The upgrade cycle of Android consumers are simply shorter in general. Thus most OEMs don’t feel the need to provide lengthy support to their devices.
Id guess most do not upgrade yearly. Maybe every other year. In here yes its more prevalent but this place is extreme and not your normal type of users. Most people do not have multiple phones that they use unless one is a work phone. But by choice id think most people only have one phone.

Me id never buy a foldable because of how much they cost and they are just too big(thick) and dont want one of those in my pocket. Maybe im wrong but i do think thats the average persons thinking and mostly on the cost factor of it.

Now i think the flip is intriquing but i dont pay for expensive phones anymore. I havent had a Galaxy phone since the S9. I been doing the cheaper and incentive deals on the Pixels.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
Fairphone said that they will try to extend the support of the Fairphone 4 device - not just with OS versions, but also security on their own, even after the manufacturers/suppliers stop providing them. Don't doubt their intentions, but the jury is still out on those. Also I'm not familiar with how frequent/timely the security updates currently are

Don't know how frequent the updates have been along the way, but it seems Fairphone 2 received Android version updates from Android 5 to Android 10, and 7 years of security updates. That's impressive!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.