Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
Meanwhile Apple exec deletes himself from Twitter because Trump/Musk/whatever.
But nothing will happen because of this, just business as usual, no time to virtue signal this time, yet...

Last edited:
Reactions: Wise Desi and ksec

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
It really bothers me that Apple still doesn’t have a grip on this. These workers deserve better and its high time Apple step up and do (actually) something about it. They can invent all this incredible technology - but they can’t fire a business partner who treats humans like dogs? Psh.
The problem is, they CAN, they just DONT want to.
If they do, they will have to find someone who will ask more money for workers salaries, in turn Apple will lose some share of its profits and this is what Apple will NEVER do, not unless forced worldwide. That or Apple will simply increase their product prices yet again and, in the end, Apple will remain, as usual, unpunished and floating in money not giving a single crap about customers, workers or what not is in fashion these days out there.

Reactions: nvmls

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
Enough is enough. Apple needs to put their money where their mouth is and perform like they care about human rights and privacy, not just in some cute little ad or one liner.
They are already moving production outside of China, that doesn’t happen overnight.

Further, there is little Apple can do about this, it’s not related to iPhone production and 100% related to Chinas zero-COVID policy. The city of Shanghai was locked down for MONTHS for the same reason. Gonna blame Apple for that too?

As rich and powerful as Apple is you now who is richer and more powerful? China.

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
I’m ok with my iPhone being made in India - even if it costs a few bucks more. Maybe Tim will absorb the cost because he got himself in this situation.

• Haha
Reactions: bwillwall

bmark

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2013
iPhone factories having riots like prisons! I'm sure this will be another excuse for more ad's all over the platform.

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
Apple need to stop feeding the world richest country, China, having piles of cash, and bring it to somewhere else such as India, Vietnam, or even USA that is the world poorest country… having tens of trillions of debt.
China's money is debt too

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
He won't and Apple won't. What situation, by the way, did Tim get himself in?
He put profits ahead of ideology.

What was that saying from The Right Stuff: A businessman will sell you the rope to hang him (or something like that).

lovehateapple

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2015
USA
I may be wrong here, but I read this as more of a China specific issue - namely, due to COVID lockdowns, the conditions and rights the workers were used to are no longer being met, which is what is causing the protests and outrage.

Everything in the article points to this being a China issue as opposed to an Apple issue - clashing with police, hazmat suits, and closed dining areas.

The fact that it's happening at an iPhone factory is like pouring gasoline on a fire from a media perspective.

If I am wrong and this is an Apple caused issue, I am open to being educated. But please, be polite and bring facts.
It's probably both. The covid lockdowns are definitely caused by the Chinese government, but workers not getting decent food and not getting paid contractual bonuses is something apple has some level of control over.

• Angry
Reactions: I7guy and arkitect
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.