Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rahulr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
North Carolina
Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere but here are the minor annoyances from the first couple weeks with my watch:

Apps: even if I don't click the slider to "show on Apple watch" any time an app is updated on my phone that has an Apple watch app, it automatically adds the app on my watches homescreen. Screwing up my hard worked upon Christmas tree mind you.

Skype - doesn't work well to answer calls (they are routed to your phone when you answer on the watch), but it's unreliable

Screen light up delay on wrist raise - which it came up a 10th of a second sooner

FaceTime- maybe i can't figure it out, but when someone tries to FaceTime me and I mistakenly answer on my watch it goes into an infinite ring loop. It literally won't stop ringing unless I restart the watch.

Sonos- seriously guys, where are you with your watch app? (JK, I'll be patient since I love you so much)

Location/situational awareness - I want to be able to see what's happening now, next and in the near future quickly. The watch needs an almost Google now type homescreen rather than a traditional app interface.

Handoff - seriously, when does this work for anyone?

Other than that love my watch. These are totally nit picky comments. It's actually made some of my workflow smoother, I would just like it to be more a part of my workflow.

ohio.emt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Ohio
To stop the apps turn off automatic downloads in general, or any app that is watch capable will be installed.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Mine is just third party apps being slow to load. Which I think is more of a hardware and not software issue. Not having some third party apps yet like Facebook etc. And the fact that I rarely get notifications in a timely matter is another annoyance.

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
Mine has crashed twice in the week and a half that I've had it.

TxRN

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2015
On the move
Inconsistency in watch notifications or picking up calls. Sometimes during incoming calls, the watch will start ringing after a delay. Other times, the watch will notify me of texts before my phone.

theBigD23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
The heart rate monitor's accuracy is so hit and miss it may the the reason mine will go back next week.

How do you measure that it's inaccurate? It seems like you'd need to test right away with another device to make sure, but it seems hard to do.

I've had 1 restart. The issue is with the stand feature. It asks me to stand even though I was up a minute earlier.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
How do you measure that it's inaccurate? It seems like you'd need to test right away with another device to make sure, but it seems hard to do.

I've had 1 restart. The issue is with the stand feature. It asks me to stand even though I was up a minute earlier.

I have recently undergone a minor cardiac procedure and I can assure you the heart rate data the watch provides is not desperately accurate.

Saying that there is is app on the App Store called Cardiio. For the 7 hours I was hooked up to hospital heart monitors I tested the Cardiio app against the hospital equipment and it was 100% accurate 100% of the time.

Yesterday I went on a 40 minute quad bike ride and the watch was giving about 60-80 bpm. My heart rate should have been about 100+ (my band was tight).

The watch throws data to the apple health app. Open it and go to the heart rate part (if you've enabled it) then show all data. You can see the inaccuracies there.

When you force the watch to take your heartbeat it may well be accurate because you are standing still but the watch collects data every 10 minutes in the background and depending what you are doing at the time seems to cause huge data inaccuracies.

The Tuck

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2003
You're probably right that the passive IR readings are not the most accurate, but I think that the active green light readings are accurate. This is the mode it uses in workouts or when you get a reading via the heartbeat Glance.

Tuck

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
You're probably right that the passive IR readings are not the most accurate, but I think that the active green light readings are accurate. This is the mode it uses in workouts or when you get a reading via the heartbeat Glance.

Tuck

Ah, I didn't realise it did 2 different types of heart readout. That could explain things. Passive is definately not as accurate as active.

Do you know of any material on the web that describes these 2 different measurements from the watch?

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
Ah, I didn't realise it did 2 different types of heart readout. That could explain things. Passive is definately not as accurate as active.

Do you know of any material on the web that describes these 2 different measurements from the watch?

I didn't realise that either, would love to know more about the technicalities of it.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
Found it https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204666

So for me it would appear that the passive 10 minute readings are the inaccurate ones.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
Mine is just third party apps being slow to load. Which I think is more of a hardware and not software issue. Not having some third party apps yet like Facebook etc. And the fact that I rarely get notifications in a timely matter is another annoyance.

I hope FB never comes to Apple Watch. I'd be fine with FB messenger, though.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
I hope FB never comes to Apple Watch. I'd be fine with FB messenger, though.

I want to be able to reply to notifications on Facebook on my watch (Using Siri or something). Of course Facebook promised a quick reply system for the iPhone on the new iOS. But they have yet to do that either. So I am not holding my breathe.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I want to be able to reply to notifications on Facebook on my watch (Using Siri or something). Of course Facebook promised a quick reply system for the iPhone on the new iOS. But they have yet to do that either. So I am not holding my breathe.

I don't even have FB notifications on my iPhone. They'd be going off constantly.

I only have FB Messenger notifications. That's tolerable to me. :)

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
I don't even have FB notifications on my iPhone. They'd be going off constantly.

I only have FB Messenger notifications. That's tolerable to me. :)

Facebook notifications on the phone are useless. It just tells you someone commented on your post etc. But you have to use the phone to reply. Hopefully they will come up with something better.

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
There are only two things that really annoy me. The screen will occasionally turn on and then off immediately, and in some cases will sort of flicker on and off when I'm trying to use it. It seems like a bug. It will also sometimes turn off while I'm in the middle of using an app -- even just after I've interacted with the watch. It seems too aggressive in its attempt to save battery.

The other is that Hey Siri is not reliable enough. Sometimes it will activate properly, and sometimes it won't. I'm 100% sure I am using it correctly (waiting for the screen to turn on before speaking, etc.)

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere but here are the minor annoyances from the first couple weeks with my watch:

Apps: even if I don't click the slider to "show on Apple watch" any time an app is updated on my phone that has an Apple watch app, it automatically adds the app on my watches homescreen. Screwing up my hard worked upon Christmas tree mind you.

I too am having this problem. Every time an app is updated, it is pushed to my watch; except it has that generic app icon with the lines and refuses to load. I can't delete it off the watch either. Automatic downloads have been off since day one. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Subdiv

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2014
Colorado
There are only two things that really annoy me. The screen will occasionally turn on and then off immediately, and in some cases will sort of flicker on and off when I'm trying to use it. It seems like a bug. It will also sometimes turn off while I'm in the middle of using an app -- even just after I've interacted with the watch. It seems too aggressive in its attempt to save battery.

The other is that Hey Siri is not reliable enough. Sometimes it will activate properly, and sometimes it won't. I'm 100% sure I am using it correctly (waiting for the screen to turn on before speaking, etc.)
Same here for both of these. I also wish the temperature would update more often.

rahulr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
North Carolina
Same here for both of these. I also wish the temperature would update more often.

I think they will loosen the battery constraints in an upcoming update to allow the watch to stay on for 5,10 or maybe 15 seconds. I have battery to spare each night.

And I'm right there with you with "Hey Siri". Sometimes it's flawless and others just refuses to come up. I find using Siri and voice commands on my watch much more common than on my phone, so hopefully that gets fixed too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.