Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
A previous report of a PowerBook G5 reference sparked a considerable amount of speculation amongst Apple fans last week.

Another Apple website reference was submitted at http://www.apple.com/ca/fr/displays/asd17/ (in French). The 17" Apple Studio Display info page lists the following under configuration requirements:

L’Apple Studio Display nécessite un Power Mac G5 avec un connecteur ADC ou un PowerBook G5 avec un port DVI vers ADC Apple ; Mac OS X v10.1.3 ou Mac OS 9.2.2 ou ultérieur requis.

The previous reference was to the Power Mac G4 and PowerBook G4 in Feb 15, 2004 (Web Archive), so may simply represent some overzealous editing.

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
erm, I think this is digging a bit *too* far..

why would apple update the french canadian page for OLD apple cinema displays to represent a PBG5?

It's either someone at Apple's web team having a joke, or simply a typo.

Eastend

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2004
Nara, Japan
That's one stange web page. They do not have a buy button for the 17" display. When you go to the store they do not sell the display also. Do other Apple sites have that display or a similar web page?

Brian

Eastend

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2004
Nara, Japan
I kind of answered my own question. I deleted ca/fr and inserted jp for Japan they have the same page in Japanese, but it say's PowerBook G4. It's a typo.

Brian

sirjimithy1

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2005
That's the system requirements section. It says that it requires the PowerBook G5 with ADC adapter, but also says that it requires Power Mac G5 with an ADC port as well... We all know that both those statements are wrong. It's gotta be a typo and should say G4 in both instances.

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
Please stop

Beating this rumor to death. Not happening. Not soon. G4 64 bit dual core Freescale chips hopefully are the route, so hopefully not ever.

invaLPsion

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2004
The Northlands
Photorun said:
Beating this rumor to death. Not happening. Not soon. G4 64 bit dual core Freescale chips hopefully are the route, so hopefully not ever.

It's a rumor site. People should feel free to "rumorize" to their hearts content.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
There really isn't much to go on regarding PowerBook G5s is there! We all know they're coming one day and that that will be their name. The question is simply when.

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2002
Charles City, Iowa
We'll see, I guess... I can only hope that Apple will release something new as far as PowerBooks soon... My mom wants to buy one, but I've been telling her to hold off because of the impending update.

:)

nek

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2003
Canada
You could just go to the english version of that site: http://www.apple.com/ca/displays/asd17/

It says Powerbook g4, but so does the french version now. I didn't see it before they changed it from G5 to G4, so I'll just have to take your word for it.

It seems strange that Apple would even still have a webpage for a display that they haven't sold for a while now. If it was a widescreen 17" Cinema Display then it would be news.

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
MacRumors needs to realize that typos should not be considered rumors (even page 2 rumors). Who would believe typos mean that the Powerbook G5 is coming out soon? This isn't very easy to believe if you ask me.

Maybe the next hype will be: "Now we believe the web staff members at Apple are being hypnotized because there are so many typos on Apple's web pages." :rolleyes: Please everyone, allow people to make mistakes. Nobody is perfect, even people at Apple.

shane-o-mac

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2005
Okay! So the rumor is Apple will update their powerbooks. Honestly will it be that big of a step up? Does anyone here have a valid reason to believe that they are anywhere near manufactoring a G5 powerbook? Even if the G5 comes out next week I am not so sure I want to be the first one to deal with any of the problems of a first generation G5 laptop.

Adittionaly, even a slight bump up in the current G4 is not going to make a big difference. For me it comes down to the substandard hard drive speed and lack of built in ram. Granted there is a possibility they might bump up the HD to 5400rpms ( as found on the 80gb HD), but I serously doubt we will be getting 512mb of ram built in anytime soon. So I guess the real question is will the update make owning a powerbook anymore worthwile? Personally if they knocked a couple hundred dollars of the powerbook line I would be much more impressed. What do you guys think?

geoffism

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2005
NYC
And they're off!

Here we go again, another week of speculation.

By the way, by the time I checked out the link that is associated with this thread, they have fixed the French site to say Powerbook G4. I think they have Edward Scissorhands doing the content writing up there, or maybe some NHL lockout Players trying to make a little extra dough - except they are trying to type with their gloves on.

Pray for tuesday. Just give me something.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Wow, when the first "typo" appeared in the Avenue A section, I was quick to employ the Internet Archive's backed up version as a creditable source. Needless to say, it altered the character of the debate a little (given that the section didn't exist at all in May 2004). Little did I know that it would get thrown around so much, and even on Macrumors Page 2!

If they were a business, I'd have to ask for a commission ;).

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
cello said:
just search in google for "Powerbook G5" site:www.apple.com to see other references to a PB G5 on apple.com. My guess, they are only typos...

Love how bad the translation is!

"Spots white woman"

We know they mean the white spot problem with the displays, but that goes to show you how much these are context sensitive. I would never rely on a translated website. Get someone who speaks the language to translate any website that isn't in your native language.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.