Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
GodBless said:
MacRumors needs to realize that typos should not be considered rumors (even page 2 rumors). Who would believe typos mean that the Powerbook G5 is coming out soon? This isn't very easy to believe if you ask me.

Maybe the next hype will be: "Now we believe the web staff members at Apple are being hypnotized because there are so many typos on Apple's web pages." :rolleyes: Please everyone, allow people to make mistakes. Nobody is perfect, even people at Apple.

we're not condeming anyone, we're just having fun saying what if.

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
gopher said:
Love how bad the translation is!

"Spots white woman"

We know they mean the white spot problem with the displays, but that goes to show you how much these are context sensitive.

Ah, yes, "woman" and "problem" are interchangeable, given the right context. ;)

::Hides from BlueVelvet::

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
Macrumors said:

I would say it looks like a typo on some old crap.. I swear I saw this page long ago.. Still not corrected it appears... After all, it references OS 10.1.3... ancient! *We all know 10.1.x - 10.2.7 does not work on a G5 right?*

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
i really am starting to think there should be an international law introduced to STOP RUMORS ABOUT THIS BLOODY POWERBOOK G5!

when it comes it will come and it will be ready and it will be good, in the meantime JUST WAIT! PLEEEEEEEEAAAASSSSEEEEE!

:eek:

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
bigandy said:
i really am starting to think there should be an international law introduced to STOP RUMORS ABOUT THIS BLOODY POWERBOOK G5!

when it comes it will come and it will be ready and it will be good, in the meantime JUST WAIT! PLEEEEEEEEAAAASSSSEEEEE!

:eek:

It's hard to wait. ^_^

zenmoused

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2005
Raleigh, NC
decisions...decisions...

Hey all! This is my first post to macrumors, though I'd like to think I'm far from a newbie in the mac world. Just wanted to get a general idea of your thoughts. I currently have no laptop, as I've had no need for one. What I've been operating off of (at home) is my linux box and my trusty 400 mhz iMac dv ;) .

Long story short, I need a laptop, specifically a powerbook. I've been following this for the past 2 months, and everyone is at odds as to when they think the next SIGNIFICANT revision will come out. So my question : Is anyone waiting for something special (tiger release, g5 update, dual-core, cell..etc) to happen, or is the general consensus set with this being the biggest update (speed bump) we'll see anytime soon?

I want a powerbook SO BAD, but I'm planning on keeping the thing for like 4 years, so I'd hate for a major revision to come out a month after buying one.

Regards

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
zenmoused said:
Hey all! This is my first post to macrumors, though I'd like to think I'm far from a newbie in the mac world. Just wanted to get a general idea of your thoughts. I currently have no laptop, as I've had no need for one. What I've been operating off of (at home) is my linux box and my trusty 400 mhz iMac dv ;) .

Long story short, I need a laptop, specifically a powerbook. I've been following this for the past 2 months, and everyone is at odds as to when they think the next SIGNIFICANT revision will come out. So my question : Is anyone waiting for something special (tiger release, g5 update, dual-core, cell..etc) to happen, or is the general consensus set with this being the biggest update (speed bump) we'll see anytime soon?

I want a powerbook SO BAD, but I'm planning on keeping the thing for like 4 years, so I'd hate for a major revision to come out a month after buying one.

Regards

The new G4 Powerbooks released January 2005 are plenty fast enough for all but the most demanding users. The people wanting a Powerbook G5 either have a very good fitness instructor (since it would have to weigh almost the same as the original Mac portable), or skin like a hot coal walker since those machines are going to be hot to the touch with the current technology. Don't listen to these people whining about the lack of a Powerbook G5. Apple doesn't update their Powerbooks more often than once every 6 months, and sometimes waits an entire year.

Proud owner of a 1.5 Ghz Powerbook G4 17", and a 1.8 Ghz iMac G5.

The iMac G5 I won at a raffle at San Francisco's "Macworld"

Eastend

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2004
Nara, Japan
zenmoused said:

Regards
They just updated the PowerBooks, Apple has only released a Powerbook within 4 months of the previous release twice before that I know of. When they did that there were good reasons for the early release, there are no reasons this time. I personally do not see a release tell around Sept (then it could be Dual core a G5 or just an upgraded G4, nobody really knows.), so if you buy now you've got the latest. Tiger however, could be released at WWDC or before. Think that is around June 6. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Brian

zenmoused

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Yeah I think Tiger is the biggest stipulation. I don't know how much I'd rely on past time frames, however. Apple seems to be taking on a whole new strategy right now, and it wouldn't surprise me to see a powerbook update announced at WWDC. Steve seems more aggresive with assimilating Windows users. Mac mini, iPod Shuffle... They have a lot of their bases covered, but I think their biggest weakpoint is the professional users out there who require a powerful mobile solution, and aren't impressed by the minute speed-bumps on the old G-4 PB's.

My prediction is an update of some kind to the powerbook line, announced at or before WWDC.

As for me, I'm waiting to buy until Tiger comes with the laptop for free :cool:

StarbucksSam

macrumors 65816
Nov 21, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I am in the same position as many of you.

I'm almost 16 and my Dad finally said we can replace my 3-year-old iMac G4 with a Powerbook. However, he's making me wait for the new updates or August, whichever comes first.

The thing is, if we get to August, and we find out they aren't coming out till December, I'm going to be REALLY pissed to have had to wait so long. Yet again, if they are coming out in September, I'll wait... maybe.

I just wish we had a better idea. I guess we will within a month or two of WWDC.

OKComputer

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2002
Seattle, WA
If it were me...and this is just me so pay no attention, BUT consider this: for the estimated price of a future powerbook G5, lets say 2699, you can get an imac G5 1299, and an ibook 999 right now and still save money! and solve you portability and power issues! Doesnt that make sense?

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
PowerBook G5s could be announced at WWDC and shipping in July or August, just like Apple did with the Power Mac G5s when they were announced at WWDC in 2003.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
themadchemist said:
Ah, yes, "woman" and "problem" are interchangeable, given the right context. ;)

::Hides from BlueVelvet::

Ha-ha :)

There is no hide.

May all your moments be constantly filled with the fevered speculation of a million and one G5 powerbook rumours. All due on a Tuesday, if not this one, then surely next...

:p

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
zenmoused said:

thats why they invented eBay!
;)

but seriously you wouldnt lose much if you did ebay it when the G5 arrived... sure you know all about product shortages for new apple machines!

maxvamp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2002
Somewhere out there
Lets put aside the G5 for now

I strongly suspect that there will be something in the PB line announced around July.

BUT

I doubt it will include anything from the current 970 line.

So, using this as a starting point for speculation, what would people think they would see in the PB if it were not a G5?

Myself, I would not be surprised to see a new processor that did include 64-bit, and Altivec, but not based on the Power4 proc. Would be cool if the mem controller was onboard...

Ahh..Time to pull my head out of the clouds.

Dream On....TuesDAY!!! :D :eek: :cool:

Max.

maxvamp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2002
Somewhere out there
Put this in my PowerBook...

It's only 15W!!

MPC8641D Dual Core Processor
Freescale has leveraged its expertise in building high-performance PowerPC™ processors and highly integrated communications processors to design the MPC8641D Dual Core Processor. This processor integrates two e600 PowerPC cores, two memory controllers, Ethernet controllers, a RapidIO™ fabric interface, a PCI Express I/O interface, and a high performance MPX bus that scales to 667 MHz. It's one powerful processor, but it doesn't break the power budget starting at 15 Watts.

The MPC8641D supports flexible software implementations: symmetric multiprocessing (SMP) and Asymmetric multiprocessing. With SMP, one operating system runs on both cores, but from a programming perspective, it appears that the developer is writing a program for a single core. With Asymmetric multiprocessing, two instances of the same operating system or two entirely separate operating systems can be run on the two cores, largely unaware of each other.

fisious

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2001
Mum's PBG5

ASP272 said:
Regardless, Powerbook G5's on Tuesday!!!??? :eek: :confused: :(

Wait no longer, my Mum just picked her's up this morning.
Specs;
Powerbook G5
Dual G5 2.5Ghz
2 Gb RAM
150 Gb ATA 100 HD
Dual Layer DVD-RW
Airport 802.11t
Firewire Extreme

She loves it to death and yes it flys like the proverbial wind, the only down issue that is now getting to here is the external cooling unit that keeps condensating in her handbag.

So I suggested to her that she just get an X-Server with an external display and bluetooth KB/Mouse, Then she's mobile again (so long as there's a power supply about) without getting her tissues all soggy.

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
fisious said:
Wait no longer, my Mum just picked her's up this morning.
Specs;
Powerbook G5
Dual G5 2.5Ghz
2 Gb RAM
150 Gb ATA 100 HD
Dual Layer DVD-RW
Airport 802.11t
Firewire Extreme

She loves it to death and yes it flys like the proverbial wind, the only down issue that is now getting to here is the external cooling unit that keeps condensating in her handbag.

So I suggested to her that she just get an X-Server with an external display and bluetooth KB/Mouse, Then she's mobile again (so long as there's a power supply about) without getting her tissues all soggy.

Nice try. Except the Powerbooks were only updated a month ago with newer processors. Apple has never updated the processor on a model less than three months after the previous processor update. The three month update was a really nasty one, went from Mac IIvx to Centris 660/Quadra 940AV. Plus half the "standards" on your specs don't even exist. If you have a time machine for sale, let me know, I'd like to actually visit the future myself.

gatorron

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2004
PB G5 to be announced at WWDC

It's pretty obvious.

1. iMac G5 at two inches thick. Remove back cover, apply anvil pressure, squeeze out air, voila.

2. All the hoken from Apple about "how hard it would be." BS.

3. They bump up speeds on last run (four months or so), get rid of surplus of other parts -- cases, etc.

Ready to roll out in June. You read it here first.

BarfBag

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2004
maxvamp said:
I strongly suspect that there will be something in the PB line announced around July.

BUT

I doubt it will include anything from the current 970 line.

So, using this as a starting point for speculation, what would people think they would see in the PB if it were not a G5?

Myself, I would not be surprised to see a new processor that did include 64-bit, and Altivec, but not based on the Power4 proc. Would be cool if the mem controller was onboard...

Ahh..Time to pull my head out of the clouds.

Dream On....TuesDAY!!! :D :eek: :cool:

Max.

Yeah! Like a G5 moble! That would be cool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.