Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
The problem I see with 3D touch is, you have to remember, most people are on a 2+ year phone replacement cycle. So, it was introduced on the 6s/6+s, which is an off year (I'm going to guess most people are on the X years, not Xs years).

So those (like me) that went from 6/6+ to a 7/7+, 3D touch was already an old thing, that had already existed and become a part of daily life for year. When people like me got the 7/7+, no one talked about 3D touch, because it was already old news. I find myself forgetting to use it all the time.

So, it makes sense that many people do not even realize it is there. I still know a lot of people on 5s phones, that are just about to make the jump to a new phone, they will have NO idea that 3D touch exists unless someone tells them...

Reactions: Feyl and aristobrat

GeekyGrannie

macrumors regular
May 15, 2015
Ya know people have been driving for a 127 years. Everyone knows you press the gas to go, brake to stop and steer the car. Yet something so simple and intuitive as this....one still needs to learn. What does this say about more complex things?
I still have no idea how to use all those buttons on my steering wheel, but I'm willing to learn when there is something new that I need. I would not appreciate being forced to learn all that extra stuff just so I can drive myself to Bingo.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
They didn’t know that 3D Touch existed? It’s been an iPhone thing for years.

You’re not talking about “your average iPhone user,” you’re talking about two remedial iPhone users. Why should we use them as a benchmark? They exist, but they’ll always be behind the curve.

I troubleshoot iPhones a lot and i would argue 60 % of those people dont know what 3D Touch is. Interestingly most of those used an iPhone < iPhone 6S before. Its just not really in the face.

I barely use 3D Touch either since it just isnt part of my workflow from spending years without it 3G, 4, 4S, 5, 6. i always forget its a thing even tho it potentially could make life easier in some cases

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
Two things I hated after iOS 11:

- Now I need to visit internal settings to select the Airpods again, if I wish to reconnect them. I always need this after using them in my PC, which "steals the signal" once they are paired and bluetooth is reenabled in PC. For example, let's say I am listening to the Airpods in the iPhone. If I turn BLUETOOTH ON in my PC the signal from the Airpods is redirected to the PC and they are disconnected from the iPhone.

After I disable bluetooth in my PC (and don't use the Airpods there anymore) I need to select the Airpods again in my Apple device (otherwise they will be listed as disconnected), a command that instructs the iPAD to reconnect them.

In iOS 10 I did this to continue using the Airpods in the iPAD:

Swipe up, and then...

5AsbHnU.jpg

rZeBkmL.jpg

Select "Airpods". So simple, and easy.

Now that evolved to this, after iOS 11:

iiusfXR.gif

The problem is that for me to go to this screen it takes more time than swiping up ANYWHERE and selecting the option "Airpods".

Another change that bothered me was that I can't simply swipe up and adjust the volume levels anywhere, like I did in iOS 10. Again I need to minimize the app screen (with 5 fingers), and only then swipe up and do that, in iOS 11.

iOS 10 would be better in that regard for apps such as ProTube (still running in 2.5.9), that doesn't feature custom gestures (these are available for nPlayer):

http://help.nplayer.tv/en/36-2/setting/setting-gesture/

Reactions: skillwill

CopyChief

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2007
The problem is that for me to go to this screen it takes more time than swiping up ANYWHERE and selecting the option "Airpods".

You can still do this in iOS11. Swipe up, and tap on the little sound wave icon in the upper right of the Now Playing pane. It'll bring up your list of possible sources, and you can select your AirPods (or any other Bluetooth/AirPlay destination).

Reactions: Wando64

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
You can still do this in iOS11. Swipe up, and tap on the little sound wave icon in the upper right of the Now Playing pane. It'll bring up your list of possible sources, and you can select your AirPods (or any other Bluetooth/AirPlay destination).

This interaction proves the point of the OP brilliantly.

Reactions: skillwill and JM

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
I thought

I think it’s for changing the airdrop settings between off, or contacts and everyone - force touch the airplanes mode, mobile data, WiFi or Bluetooth icons to get into sub menu to change airdrop recipients.
Glad you posted this, I could only find it in settings before. I still have a 6 but it works with a long press too.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Did anyone of them “google” or try asking Siri? Settings > Air Drop?

Click on a photo and use the Share button?

After 25 years with IBM 360/370 machines. I found MacPlus without command keys ‘impossible’ until I got Word 3.02 AND a 500 pg book, the first two chapters were devoted to Mac, (Uni-) Finder how to do things like use and format floppy.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA

Exactly.

It's quick and easy in iOS 11.

RecentlyConverted

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2015
Exactly.

It's quick and easy in iOS 11.
It’s only quick and easy because we are heavy users with an interest in tech. These friends of the OP probably have other priorities in their life rather than reading Apple sites every day, learning all the changes in iOS ( good and bad) and spending lots of money and time testing apps to get their Apple products to do what they want.If often wish I wasnt so obsessed ( I often see my girlfriends face glaze over!).

Reactions: Feyl, dk001 and JM

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
It’s only quick and easy because we are heavy users with an interest in tech. These friends of the OP probably have other priorities in their life rather than reading Apple sites every day, learning all the changes in iOS ( good and bad) and spending lots of money and time testing apps to get their Apple products to do what they want.If often wish I wasnt so obsessed ( I often see my girlfriends face glaze over!).

Well the user ultimately has the choice to learn how to do what they want, if they really care, or not.

But if you think Apple is going to stand still and do nothing with iOS just to accommodate the lazy and the <!-- insert comment about intelligence here --> then you are bound to be disappointed.

Bottom line the feature is no less discoverable in iOS 11 than it is in iOS 10. In fact, I think it is more discoverable in iOS 11. It's just those who have been using iOS 10 have to get to know the new way which is now better for everyone else.

Last edited:

RecentlyConverted

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2015
On the other side of the coin. If the vast majority don’t want to spend time learning how to do the same thing after every new iOS release, they may stop buying!

Reactions: Apple Fritter

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
On the other side of the coin. If the vast majority don’t want to spend time learning how to do the same thing after every new iOS release, they may stop buying!
Somehow most figure things out as far as what they need as they get newer versions of all kinds of things in life (even their email clients get updates or their favorite web pages and so on), so they'll adjust to this as well. It's how things are in today's world in many ways.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA

Have you seen the customer sat numbers with Apple? They are off the charts. Consumers are going nowhere because they absolutely love Apple, iPhone and iOS.

Mw0103

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2014
Another change that bothered me was that I can't simply swipe up and adjust the volume levels anywhere, like I did in iOS 10. Again I need to minimize the app screen (with 5 fingers), and only then swipe up and do that, in iOS 11.

You can still just swipe up to bring up control center to adjust volume. It’s a long swipe instead of a short swipe. No need to go to the home screen first. Alternatively, you can do the four finger drag up. (This is for iPad).

HylianKnight

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2017
Personally I never use my own or people on this forum’s experiences to judge Apple’s stuff, we’re not typical users. It’s friends and families who have the phones and just want to use them that really show it.

This weekend at dinner my friends were taking some pictures and wanted to share them with each other. To their surprise when they swiped up from the bottom of the screen the air drop toggle wasn’t there (as it had been in iOS 10, neither had planned to update iOS 11). They proceeded to spend ages looking for it then ask me why Apple got rid of a good feature. When I said they hadn’t, my friends argued and said it wasn’t there. I took the phone, 3D Touched on the controls and there it was. They didn’t even know what 3D Touch was never mind that you had to use it to access a basic feature. Had I not been there, they’d have believed the feature was gone and never used it. As it is, they’re less enthused about the new iOS because, in their words “why bother changing something for the worse that was so simple”. Sad.
Simple and intuitive are not always the same thing. In this case, you are conflating the two.
[doublepost=1510719735][/doublepost]
Two things I hated after iOS 11:

- Now I need to visit internal settings to select the Airpods again, if I wish to reconnect them. I always need this after using them in my PC, which "steals the signal" once they are paired and bluetooth is reenabled in PC. For example, let's say I am listening to the Airpods in the iPhone. If I turn BLUETOOTH ON in my PC the signal from the Airpods is redirected to the PC and they are disconnected from the iPhone.

After I disable bluetooth in my PC (and don't use the Airpods there anymore) I need to select the Airpods again in my Apple device (otherwise they will be listed as disconnected), a command that instructs the iPAD to reconnect them.

In iOS 10 I did this to continue using the Airpods in the iPAD:

Swipe up, and then...

5AsbHnU.jpg

rZeBkmL.jpg

Select "Airpods". So simple, and easy.

Now that evolved to this, after iOS 11:

iiusfXR.gif

iOS 10 would be better in that regard for apps such as ProTube (still running in 2.5.9), that doesn't feature custom gestures (these are available for nPlayer):

http://help.nplayer.tv/en/36-2/setting/setting-gesture/
Umm, you can still select AirPods in the control center. Have to 3D Touch the music tile and then tap the airplay button. While not quite as simple as before, this is still quicker than what you are currently going through to select AirPods.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
I get it...user’s experience isn’t up to par for some people. How about using feedback? No guarantee, but that’s how apple roll. Or maybe...it’s time to change platform.

RecentlyConverted

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2015
Have you seen the customer sat numbers with Apple? They are off the charts. Consumers are going nowhere because they absolutely love Apple, iPhone and iOS.

Ever heard the quote - lies, damed lies and statistics. These are Apple stats, can you point to independent verification?

RecentlyConverted

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2015
Verification that Apple's sales are doing well?
That wasnt the question. Sales for a product or service can be high yet satisfaction levels may not reflect that.

Also, with Apples stats there is no detail given on how the sample is taken. If you asked 1000 Donald Trump supporters if they thought he was the best President ever, the stats would probably be high. The data would be correct, the sampling wouldn’t reflect the general population.

If Apple target a group that it knows will give excellent feedback, that is not representative.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
They didn’t know that 3D Touch existed? It’s been an iPhone thing for years.

You’re not talking about “your average iPhone user,” you’re talking about two remedial iPhone users. Why should we use them as a benchmark? They exist, but they’ll always be behind the curve.

Yet I just went from a 6+ to the 8+, and it's like waking up in a whole new world. It is confusing at times. I also find that I have to touch icons repeatedly sometimes to get the thing to work.

All you slagging people, don't be so quick to slam 'idiots', and 'the stupid people' for not having a 'New iPhone' with all of the incredibly idiotic 'features' that seem to make iOS such a PITA. I'm trying. Heck, even the AW3 has gotten more complicated since the last WatchOS was released. When a company says they are 'intuitive', and encourages their customers (victims) to 'think different', and they keep moving the cheese with every update, they are not taking their customers seriously. If you need a 'feature' like '3d Touch', the OS has gotten WAY too busy and complicated.

People rag on Windows, and deservedly so, but it's somehow reassuring to see the same Windows 7 system screens popping up in 10. It's like 10 is 7 in disguise. And Microsoft has gone to extreme effort to hide so much of that too.

But, wank on about 'can't fix stupid'. Way to go folks. Apple DOES seem to 'innovate' by just changing things, and moving the cheese. Microsoft used to do that with Office updates. *sigh*
[doublepost=1510748879][/doublepost]
That wasnt the question. Sales for a product or service can be high yet satisfaction levels may not reflect that.

Also, with Apples stats there is no detail given on how the sample is taken. If you asked 1000 Donald Trump supporters if they thought he was the best President ever, the stats would probably be high. The data would be correct, the sampling wouldn’t reflect the general population.

If Apple target a group that it knows will give excellent feedback, that is not representative.

THAT is the true basis on 'polls'.

I did enough statistics in college to know that whenever someone starts touting a 'poll' that 'proves' something, my ears perk up. I want to know what they asked people, and who they asked, and how they massaged the data to come up with their claim. There is a book 'How to lie with statistics'. It's so easy to lie, and so many people believe the results.

'Coffee cures cancer'. How many read that load of horse crap! And the notorious 'Smelling farts can cure cancer'. Thank the Gods above for John Oliver for exposing that one...

Reactions: Feyl, dk001 and JM

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

There's certainly all of that. That said, if the satisfaction numbers weren't good or were dropping wouldn't that also get reflected in sales (along with confidence in the company) as well?

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Yet I just went from a 6+ to the 8+, and it's like waking up in a whole new world. It is confusing at times. I also find that I have to touch icons repeatedly sometimes to get the thing to work.

All you slagging people, don't be so quick to slam 'idiots', and 'the stupid people' for not having a 'New iPhone' with all of the incredibly idiotic 'features' that seem to make iOS such a PITA. I'm trying. Heck, even the AW3 has gotten more complicated since the last WatchOS was released. When a company says they are 'intuitive', and encourages their customers (victims) to 'think different', and they keep moving the cheese with every update, they are not taking their customers seriously. If you need a 'feature' like '3d Touch', the OS has gotten WAY too busy and complicated.

People rag on Windows, and deservedly so, but it's somehow reassuring to see the same Windows 7 system screens popping up in 10. It's like 10 is 7 in disguise. And Microsoft has gone to extreme effort to hide so much of that too.

But, wank on about 'can't fix stupid'. Way to go folks. Apple DOES seem to 'innovate' by just changing things, and moving the cheese. Microsoft used to do that with Office updates. *sigh*
[doublepost=1510748879][/doublepost]

THAT is the true basis on 'polls'.

I did enough statistics in college to know that whenever someone starts touting a 'poll' that 'proves' something, my ears perk up. I want to know what they asked people, and who they asked, and how they massaged the data to come up with their claim. There is a book 'How to lie with statistics'. It's so easy to lie, and so many people believe the results.

'Coffee cures cancer'. How many read that load of horse crap! And the notorious 'Smelling farts can cure cancer'. Thank the Gods above for John Oliver for exposing that one...
I hated when Office went to that stupid ribbon. and Save as-stupid-useless-pointless-extra-screen.... I just want to select where my file goes. Stupid Office.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.