Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
So that’s how you get to it. That’s been annoying me since I updated.

Now disabled it. Wonder if that has any effect on battery life?
[doublepost=1510761865][/doublepost]Also to add, what have these designers been smoking to go and bury auto brightness settings so deep?

Sorry, but this is a terrible iOS. No idea why they’ve made certain things harder to find. Making anything harder to find is never a good thing.

Reactions: skillwill

RecentlyConverted

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2015
There's certainly all of that. That said, if the satisfaction numbers weren't good or were dropping wouldn't that also get reflected in sales (along with confidence in the company) as well?

But that also depends on the competition. For me and some others Android is not an option, Windows and true Blackberry phones are no more, so what other options are there? So for some of us, Apple is the best of a bad lot.

Unfortunately here its difficult to express any dissatisfaction with Apple. Some people accept no criticism of the brand, however well argued. Its not like being in the Moon¡es or Scientology, but its pretty close.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
It really isnt a intuitive set up.

First you have to swipe up control center. Then you get those music controls so naturally everyones mother would assume that this is simply there to change the song. No indicator that you can 3D Touch on it let alone long press on an iPhone 6!

then you get to the second page with the tiny icon that could pretty much mean anything in the top right corner and again you just have to assume that this is doing anything.

Same with the big square holding wifi etc. it is cluttered as it is but oh wait you can 3d touch it to get even more options!

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
You can still do this in iOS11. Swipe up, and tap on the little sound wave icon in the upper right of the Now Playing pane. It'll bring up your list of possible sources, and you can select your AirPods (or any other Bluetooth/AirPlay destination).
Thanks, I haven't noticed that. Now we are talking. :D

As for the apps that don't have custom gestures, this is something users should really ask, based on this player and the way it works:
http://help.nplayer.tv/en/36-2/setting/setting-gesture/

If developers noticed that we wouldn't miss the swipe up + volume levels adjust available in iOS 10 and replaced by the dock in iOS 11 (if we swipe up while the app is running, instead of minimizing them).

Mw0103

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2014
If developers noticed that we wouldn't miss the swipe up + volume levels adjust available in iOS 10 and replaced by the dock in iOS 11 (if we swipe up while the app is running, instead of minimizing them).

I’ll say it again: you can still swipe up while an app is running to get to the volume controls in the control center. There is no need to “minimize” the running app or return to the home screen. Swipe up. The dock comes up. Don’t lift your finger. Keep swiping up. There is your control center with volume control (and the app switcher too). You can get the same result with a four-finger swipe up anywhere on the screen.

Reactions: Perene

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
The problem is if technology only served to make ignorant people comfortable our wheels would still be rectangular.
This is absolute rubbish. Wheels were circular from the get go. You need to give a better example.

Technological improvement should be obvious. If you have to perform additional steps to do the same thing, then that is a regression. Enabling AirDrop on iOS 11 requires additional step compared to iOS 10. So you can give us 100s of apologies on behalf of Apple but we won't accept them.

BTW those people are not ignorant. Just that finding out the minute details about what has changed in iOS is not on their priority list.

Last edited:

skillwill

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
what have these designers been smoking to go and bury auto brightness settings so deep?

Sorry, but this is a terrible iOS. No idea why they’ve made certain things harder to find. Making anything harder to find is never a good thing.

Yes that's another great example, I'm sure away from these forums there are people right now who simply believe Apple has just removed auto-brightness. And it's not just a bad change, it's also pointless - of all the "Wishlists for iOS 11" threads that were around at the time of iOS 10, I don't recall ANYONE saying "I love iOS 10 but what they really need to do for next time is move the auto-brightness setting". What makes it particularly annoying is that it's also so easy to accidentally change your brightness when swiping down to get rid of the control center.

This is absolute rubbish. Wheels were circular from the get go. You need to give a better example.

Technological improvement should be obvious. If you have to perform additional steps to do the same thing, then that is a regression.

100% agree with every word. And part of what makes Apple great was that it appealed to the "technologically ignorant" (Not sure about the phrase but seems to be what we're going with) because it was intuitive. I'm all for enabling deeper features for more advanced users but the basics should be a swipe, a pinch, or a tap away.

Apple Fritter

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2017
I reckon you got my drift perfectly yet decided to split hairs for the sake of argument.

Technological improvement should be obvious. If you have to perform additional steps to do the same thing, then that is a regression. Enabling AirDrop on iOS 11 requires additional step compared to iOS 10. So you can give us 100s of apologies on behalf of Apple but we won't accept them.
Technological improvement isn't always obvious or self-explanatory. I also didn't celebrate the introduction of additional steps for your precious AirDrop, I merely pointed out that the world turns, things change and you can change with it or stay behind.

Granted, not all change will be great and hindsight is always 20/20. Maybe Apple's diagnostics told them folks didn't use Air Drop on a large scale, so they considered it unimportant/non-issue. They're like that, look at the Dongle Life™. I for one haven't used Air Drop on any iPhone from 2G to X.

BTW those people are not ignorant. Just that finding out the minute details about what has changed in iOS is not on their priority list.
But they are. Look all around you. Everything changes with an increasing frequency these days and that kind of requires you to stay in the loop if you care to be a part of society. That does require effort. My own parents as well as a dozen others in my immediate surroundings come to mind in a hearbeat who keep ignoring that weird "Internet thing" e.g. That's fine, but they gotta live with the fact that they won't even be able to register a car a few years down the road because that office is gone, as well as their banking facility or grocery store. They'll be all like: "Wtf? Where did they go??". I'd call that ignorant.

TL;DR: I think the misunderstanding is mainly that you focus on a specific topic while I just pointed out technological advancement in general. On a side note, I certainly don't celebrate Apple's stupid decisions and that's the reason that X went straight back to the shop 2 days ago. Problem solved.

Rastech

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2018
Wales
Personally I never use my own or people on this forum’s experiences to judge Apple’s stuff, we’re not typical users. It’s friends and families who have the phones and just want to use them that really show it.

This weekend at dinner my friends were taking some pictures and wanted to share them with each other. To their surprise when they swiped up from the bottom of the screen the air drop toggle wasn’t there (as it had been in iOS 10, neither had planned to update iOS 11). They proceeded to spend ages looking for it then ask me why Apple got rid of a good feature. When I said they hadn’t, my friends argued and said it wasn’t there. I took the phone, 3D Touched on the controls and there it was. They didn’t even know what 3D Touch was never mind that you had to use it to access a basic feature. Had I not been there, they’d have believed the feature was gone and never used it. As it is, they’re less enthused about the new iOS because, in their words “why bother changing something for the worse that was so simple”. Sad.
Read thriugg the replies. Lots of fsikure to grsso essential erginonics and necessity for basic erginomics with IT displayed, and it's onkogot a lot wirse with touchscreen cinputing imho. Look ar it from this perspective. From the days of Windows 95, I was able to teach people to effectively and productively use computers, by getting them to play Solitaire. Even a lady in her 80's who had bever had a computer before, but had to use one when she was made High Sheriff. Pointer cintrol, mouse click and drag control, and using Menu's. Click on the clearly visible Menu iten, akways in the same place, abd your options were clearly listed. How many business hours are wasted tidst, due to people not being abka to find the equivalent of File/Save As, for example. Accessibility, intuitive, ergonomic, and usability are Never "boring" because what you can do with them is creative rather than infuriating, and creative is never boring, other than to people who aren't creative. If getting to what you need to do is complex for the sake of complexity, it's extremely bad design, period, the end.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.