Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
Times like now, I'm kinda glad the 7 isn't available in Korea yet, so these issues can be ironed out first.

Renzatic

Suspended
There are other people on here saying it looks grainy too. This is NOT just me. And 23% pixel density is what separates Apple between others: they consistently outclass their competitors by offering more advanced, better technology with as good or better battery life. 23% is a massive engineering feat with the display technology they're dealing with. And yes, the Sexus DOES look grainy.

It's 23%, man! It's like if the Nexus 7 were 4 PPI, the iPad would be 5. It isn't the difference between a pixelated mess of blah and gloriously clear like a sunrise on a fresh spring morning. IT'S 23%!

You're basically arguing Apple computers outclass the competition because they're marginally better. And that's exactly what the difference between the two are PPI-wise: marginal.

And Sexus? Really? That sounds less like you're making fun of it, and more like you're going to slap on some Berry White and tell it to put on that pair of leopard print panties you bought it last week. Seriously. Call it Suxus. It's less creepy.

----------

And I won't even get into the fact that in order for the Sexus to qualify as Retina, you'd need MORE PPI than the iPad 3 because you naturally hold the smaller device, the Sexus, closer to your face. It'd be closer to 300 ppi to qualify as a Retina.

It would have to be a higher PPI rating for it to classify as true retina, but not quite 300. 1680x1050 for a 7" device would probably suffice.

AND QUIT CALLING IT SEXUS! It's creepy.

freudling

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2008
Faulty product for sure. Please exchange it, I'm sure Asus would be very interested to see the issue with your product.

Why are you avoiding the fact that I've just proven your baseless accusation about me not actually owning a Nexus 7 to be completely wrong? Were you expecting me to leave this thread and never return? :D

I cannot discern individual pixels on the screen on the Nexus 7, or my Retina Display MacBook Pro, or my iPad 3, or my HTC One X. That is a fact. Maybe your eyes are much better than mine?

Wrong, wrong, wrong. The reason the text is grainy is because of a fact:

Because the ppi are too low, the average human eye can see individual pixels, a problem that is not present with Retina screens.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008

Because the ppi are too low, the average human eye can see individual pixels, a problem that is not present with Retina screens.

Using that logic, the Nexus 7's screen is a 'Retina display' too, because I cannot see the individual pixels on mine, and text appears perfectly sharp.

I hope you don't mind me asking- what is your visual acuity?

freudling

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2008
It's 23%, man! It's like if the Nexus 7 were 4 PPI, the iPad would be 5. It isn't the difference between a pixelated mess of blah and gloriously clear like a sunrise on a fresh spring morning. IT'S 23%!

You're basically arguing Apple computers outclass the competition because they're marginally better. And that's exactly what the difference between the two are PPI-wise: marginal.

And Sexus? Really? That sounds less like you're making fun of it, and more like you're going to slap on some Berry White and tell it to put on that pair of leopard print panties you bought it last week. Seriously. Call it Suxus. It's less creepy.

----------

It would have to be a higher PPI rating for it to classify as true retina, but not quite 300. 1680x1050 for a 7" device would probably suffice.

AND QUIT CALLING IT SEXUS! It's creepy.

The Retina has noticeably better colour saturation and has virtually indiscernable individual pixels. Review after review and users attest to the fact that the Retina screen is noticeable in terms of its sharpness and these attributes. To try and argue that a Retina screen is only marginally better than non-Retinas ignores science and objective reality.

Renzatic

Suspended

It's like you're suffering from...I dunno...suggested thinking or something. There's a specific phrase for it, but hell if I can remember what it is. But anyway, to you, because the screen falls below the standards of what's considered retina, it's just flat out awful. There's no comparison. It's horrible. It doesn't match up to this arbitrary standard, and therefore it's trash.

That doesn't mean it is, you just believe it to be. In your head, the potential to see the pixels means means you force yourself to see them. Notice every little flaw.

But also, 20/20 vision is the nominal. There are actually people out there who might be able to see the individual pixels on an iPad 3. Not that it matters much to them, because high res is high res, regardless if one is more high res than the other.

----------

To try and argue that a Retina screen is only marginally better than non-Retinas ignores science and objective reality.

It is marginally better because it is. It's 23% more pixels. It's not a big difference. NOT. A. BIG. DIFFERENCE.

Why am I even arguing this with you? You're splitting hairs over absolutely nothing, and trying to back it up with something you really don't completely understand. Other than "well science has determined blah blah blah it's COLD HARD FACTS, MAN. YOU CAN'T ARGUE SCIENCE".

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
The Retina has noticeably better colour saturation and has virtually indiscernable individual pixels. Review after review and users attest to the fact that the Retina screen is noticeable in terms of its sharpness and these attributes. To try and argue that a Retina screen is only marginally better than non-Retinas ignores science and objective reality.

As do reviews of the Nexus 7!

Engadget said:
Budget tablets typically make the biggest sacrifices on the display front, and certainly the 1,024 x 600 resolution on the Kindle Fire feels a bit constricting at this point. Not so with the Nexus 7, which is fronted by a very nice 1,280 x 800 IPS panel rated at 400 nits of brightness. While more pixels is always better -- the new iPad and its Retina display having made us yearn for ridiculously high resolutions in all our devices -- WXGA feels perfectly adequate here. Text is rendered very well and 720p videos look great.

Much of that, though, is thanks to the other, less quantifiable aspects of the screen. Viewing angles are top-notch, with contrast staying strong regardless of which side you're coming from. And, it's plenty bright, too, a properly nice screen that, like everything else here, is just a little nicer than you'd expect given the cost.

Android Central said:
The Nexus 7 has a 7-inch, back-lit IPS display at 1280x800 resolution. That checks in at 216 pixels per inch, compared to the 264 of the "retina" display on the new iPad and 132 ppi on the previous model iPads. It's also covered with "Scratch-resistant Corning glass" which certainly sounds like Gorilla Glass. The viewing angle is wide, with the screen seeming bright and easy to see at almost a full 180-degrees. The only real drawback is the glossy finish, which makes viewing it outdoors difficult. You'll have to crank the brightness the whole way up and shade it with your hand if you want to use the Nexus 7 poolside. But it's not like every other tablet out there doesn't have this problem, too.
Video and gaming looks great on the device, with vibrant color and crisp text. The Nexus 7 makes for a great e-reader if you're the type who likes to curl up with a good book. Everything you'd want to do on an entertainment-consumption device is done well on the Nexus 7, and you'll be more than happy while using it.

PhoneArena said:
Again, it’s really hard to believe we’re looking at a $200 priced tablet because it’s sporting one pleasant looking 7” WXGA (1280 x 800) IPS display with Gorilla Glass to give it strength. Indeed, it’s not the most cutting-edge thing we’ve seen out there, but for a 7-inch tablet, it’s something head above water from most of the pack. For starters, its resolution is rarely seen in the 7-inch form factor, which delivers a respectable pixel density of 216 ppi. Therefore, it’s able to produce sharp details that make even the tiniest and faintest of text exquisitely legible to the eye.

The Telegraph said:
In fact this is a tablet that is ruthlessly functional – its screen is excellent (1280x800 is passable HD), its battery life an implausible nine hours that kept me entertained from London to San Francisco, its speed powered by an advanced quad-core processor that seems at 1.3GHz to respond more intuitively than ever to the touch of an impatient user’s fingers.

It may not be best-in-class, but it's better than what you should expect from a tablet of this price and it's certainly better than what your claims would suggest.

Renzatic

Suspended
You want the Nexus 7 to be true retina? Hold it a couple of inches farther out from you face than you would an iPad. BAM! RETINA LIKE A FLAT OUT MOFO!

...which kinda proves how truly vague the retina classification is.

Edit: Actually, I take that back. Hold it at the EXACT SAME AVERAGE DISTANCE from your face you would an iPad 3, because it's a smaller device. You'll have your retina display.

Last edited:

freudling

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2008
it's like you're suffering from...i dunno...suggested thinking or something. There's a specific phrase for it, but hell if i can remember what it is. But anyway, to you, because the screen falls below the standards of what's considered retina, it's just flat out awful. There's no comparison. It's horrible. It doesn't match up to this arbitrary standard, and therefore it's trash.

That doesn't mean it is, you just believe it to be. In your head, the potential to see the pixels means means you force yourself to see them. Notice every little flaw.

But also, 20/20 vision is the nominal. There are actually people out there who might be able to see the individual pixels on an ipad 3. Not that it matters much to them, because high res is high res, regardless if one is more high res than the other.

----------

it is marginally better because it is. It's 23% more pixels. It's not a big difference. Not. A. Big. Difference.

Why am i even arguing this with you? You're splitting hairs over absolutely nothing, and trying to back it up with something you really don't completely understand. Other than "well science has determined blah blah blah it's cold hard facts, man. You can't argue science".

23% is. A. Big. Difference.

----------

As do reviews of the Nexus 7!

It may not be best-in-class, but it's better than what you should expect from a tablet of this price and it's certainly better than what your claims would suggest.

Or you can cherry pick reviews and choose to see whatever you want to see:

Originally Posted by PhoneArena
Again, it’s really hard to believe we’re looking at a $200 priced tablet because it’s sporting one pleasant looking 7” WXGA (1280 x 800) IPS display with Gorilla Glass to give it strength. Indeed, it’s not the most cutting-edge thing we’ve seen out there, but for a 7-inch tablet, it’s something head above water from most of the pack. For starters, its resolution is rarely seen in the 7-inch form factor, which delivers a respectable pixel density of 216 ppi. Therefore, it’s able to produce sharp details that make even the tiniest and faintest of text exquisitely legible to the eye.

The screen is grainy compared to a Retina. This is a fact.

Renzatic

Suspended
Only if you're attempting to win a lame ass argument.

----------

Therefore, it’s able to produce sharp details that make even the tiniest and faintest of text exquisitely legible to the eye.

...that's you're quoted review. Which only proves us right, and proves you wrong. There is no mention in that block of text that does anything to strengthen your argument.

This is getting dumb. Actually, it got dumb about a page ago. You have no point. You do not know what you're talking about. Quit while the quitting's good. Save some face.

freudling

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2008
Only if you're attempting to win a lame ass argument.

----------

...that's you're quoted review. Which only proves us right, and proves you wrong. There is no mention in that block of text that does anything to strengthen your argument.

This is getting dumb. Actually, it got dumb about a page ago. You have no point. You do not know what you're talking about. Quit while the quitting's good. Save some face.

Post pictures of it next to a Retina using the same Webpages. I'll do it if you want me too. Oh wait, I already did it.

http://s675.photobucket.com/albums/vv116/freudling/Suck It/

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
Or you can cherry pick reviews and choose to see whatever you want to see:

I think you're the one cherry picking reviews here- I posted several reviews and you're the one picking on one.

Originally Posted by PhoneArena

Nobody was denying that it's not best-in-class, so I'm not sure why you found it necessary to bold that. I even said it in my post. Good to see that you've learned to bold/italicize, rather than just capitalizing everything.

Now you're changing your story. First it's grainy, and now it's grainy compared to a RD. Two very different things. Which is it?

I also find it interesting how you're ignoring some pertinent questions and information posted here... e.g. the image I posted to prove that I have a Nexus 7, the fact that you were completely wrong about the PPI, and the question about your visual acuity. Goes to show what type of poster you are :) (hint: not a good one)

freudling

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2008
I think you're the one cherry picking reviews here- I posted several reviews and you're the one picking on one.

Nobody was denying that it's not best-in-class, so I'm not sure why you found it necessary to bold that. I even said it in my post. Good to see that you've learned to bold/italicize, rather than just capitalizing everything.

Now you're changing your story. First it's grainy, and now it's grainy compared to a RD. Two very different things. Which is it?

I also find it interesting how you're ignoring some pertinent questions and information posted here... e.g. the image I posted to prove that I have a Nexus 7, the fact that you were completely wrong about the PPI, and the question about your visual acuity. Goes to show what type of poster you are :) (hint: not a good one)

It's grainy period. Not compared to anything. It's grainy. The iPad 3 has a HUGE 48 ppi more than the Sexus and it would take close to 300 ppi for the Sexus to qualify as Retina.

The Retina display is BETTER than the screen on the Nexus because the average person cannot discern the individual pixels on the iPad screen. The ppi on the Sexus is not enough to qualify as a Retina therefore the average person CAN discern individual pixels. Period. End of story.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
Look at how crisp this nice big text looks on my iPad 3 and how crap it looks on my Sexus!

Indeed!

IMAG0318.jpg

It proves that... the iPad's screen is unnaturally yellowish and there's light leaking on the right. Oh well, time for another replacement.

freudling

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2008
Indeed!

IMAG0318.jpg

It proves that... the iPad's screen is unnaturally yellowish and there's light leaking on the right. Oh well, time for another replacement.

The Retina display is BETTER than the screen on the Nexus because the average person cannot discern the individual pixels on the iPad screen. The ppi on the Sexus is not enough to qualify as a Retina therefore the average person CAN discern individual pixels. Period. End of story.

Renzatic

Suspended

You know Saturn is bigger than Jupiter, right? Does that make Jupiter the better planet?

NO! Because Jupiter has those kick ass rings!

SCIENCE! It's objective as hell.

freudling

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2008
You know Saturn is bigger than Jupiter, right? Does that make Jupiter the better planet?

NO! Because Jupiter has those kick ass rings!

SCIENCE! It's objective as hell.

Renzatic

Suspended

I got a question for you, man. Serious question this time. I want to see if you can actually count the pixels in these two icons I'm about to post up. See if you can tell me which one is the higher resolution.

Of these two, which one has more pixels...

google_chrome_1.png

or...

google_chrome_2.png

Which one is more crisp? Which one is more....retina?

freudling

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2008
I got a question for you, man. Serious question this time. I want to see if you can actually count the pixels in these two icons I'm about to post up. See if you can tell me which one is the higher resolution.

Of these two, which one has more pixels...

or...

Which one is more crisp? Which one is more....retina?

The pixels are substantially smaller on the Retina screen therefore it's images are sharper and crisper.

freudling

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2008
You haven't answered my question. Quit repeating the same tired spiel, and answer if you know.

Which of those two icons are more crisp?

They seem to be exactly the same in sharpness. I'll guess and say that the smaller one has half the number of pixels but the bigger one is double the size.

The smaller the pixels the sharper the image is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.