Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

freudling

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2008
And why are they exactly the same in sharpness, despite one being smaller than the other?

The Retina display is BETTER than the screen on the Nexus because the average person cannot discern the individual pixels on the iPad screen. The ppi on the Sexus is not enough to qualify as a Retina therefore the average person CAN discern individual pixels. Period. End of story.

freudling

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2008
I win. You don't know what you're talking about.

Thanks for playing, and good night. :D

I know exactly what you're trying to do, but your assumptions and what you think your conclusions are are flawed, which is why nobody needs to play your game.

Good luck with your life, you'll need it.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
The Retina display is BETTER than the screen on the Nexus because the average person cannot discern the individual pixels on the iPad screen. The ppi on the Sexus is not enough to qualify as a Retina therefore the average person CAN discern individual pixels. Period. End of story.

Your tired and old copy-and-paste job was rendered irrelevant due to my extremely useful and high resolution image (which you demanded) proving otherwise. Try your spiel another day on another person, because it isn't working here :)

freudling

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2008
Your tired and old copy-and-paste job was rendered irrelevant due to my extremely useful and high resolution image (which you demanded) proving otherwise. Try your spiel another day on another person, because it isn't working here :)

Last edited by a moderator:

jeffe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
The only thing that isn't working is your constant personal attacks because you lack a basic understanding of computers and have nothing meaningful to contribute.

Retina is a better screen but the Nexus does the job well and this is not really an issue for most people.

Renzatic

Suspended
Show the data to support your claim.

The countless reviews that have been posted, and the comments concerning the quality of the screen on the device therein?

And please don't post that big block of text you've been firing off every time someone replies to you. If you really want to discuss the issue, rather than give a canned response that means absolutely nothing, you won't do it.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
You know Saturn is bigger than Jupiter, right? Does that make Jupiter the better planet?

NO! Because Jupiter has those kick ass rings!

SCIENCE! It's objective as hell.

Screw all you guys, THIS is where I take umbridge with this thread.

I couldn't care less about the iPad screen and the Nexus screen (the correct answer is "they're totally different so who cares?" by the way) but when somebody mixes up Saturn and Jupiter on the Internet then I gotta throw down.

You. Yes YOU. Saturn is smaller and has the kick arse rings. It would also float on a sufficiently large enough body of water. Now fix it. FIX IIIITTT....

:D:D;)

ixodes

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
The only thing that isn't working is your constant personal attacks because you lack a basic understanding of computers and have nothing meaningful to contribute.

By observation, it appears that you're highly attached to being right.

So... You're Right :)

Personally, I find "retina" nice, yet just another brilliant stroke of marketing genius on Apples part.

It's their same old tried and true Apple technique. It's made them billions.

Decide on an existing technology to polish up & use, then give it a cute name to appeal to both sexes. If the name is clever enough, Apple worshipers & the general public will assume Apples invented it and made it "cool". Like "gotta have it" cool.

Continue with cute TV commercials & you've got them hooked.

It's all so "Magical & Revolutionary" :)

wallpaper01

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2012
Too bad the screen is so washed out and littered with problems such as flickering on autobright. You'd think that would be an important consideration on a tablet which is just a screen. Hard to read that ebook on the perfect form factor when your screen flickers like it's on acid on low brightness settings.

Sorry have you actually used one? None of that is happening to the 2 that I have purchased...

freudling

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2008
The countless reviews that have been posted, and the comments concerning the quality of the screen on the device therein?

And please don't post that big block of text you've been firing off every time someone replies to you. If you really want to discuss the issue, rather than give a canned response that means absolutely nothing, you won't do it.

I'd really like to see the data that supports the claim that the Nexus 7 screen is really good. Or basically equivalent to a Retina screen.

----------

By observation, it appears that you're highly attached to being right.

So... You're Right :)

Personally, I find "retina" nice, yet just another brilliant stroke of marketing genius on Apples part.

It's their same old tried and true Apple technique. It's made them billions.

Decide on an existing technology to polish up & use, then give it a cute name to appeal to both sexes. If the name is clever enough, Apple worshipers & the general public will assume Apples invented it and made it "cool". Like "gotta have it" cool.

Continue with cute TV commercials & you've got them hooked.

It's all so "Magical & Revolutionary" :)

Explain specifically why Apple's Retina screens are not yards better than their previous screens? Explain why it's more marketing... more imaginary than real.

Renzatic

Suspended
I'd really like to see the data that supports the claim that the Nexus 7 screen is really good. Or basically equivalent to a Retina screen.

Hey! Welcome back! :D

I never said they were equivalent. It's obvious the retina screen is better than what's on the Nexus 7. It's higher res, and sports a heavier pixel density. What I'm arguing is that the Nex screen isn't a grainy, pixelated mess in comparison. While one might be technically better, there still isn't a huge amount of difference between the two.

And data that supports the claim? Well, we've got all the countless reviews of the thing that talk about how nice the screen is. Hell, you've posted a few quotes from them stating as much yourself.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
While one might be technically better, there still isn't a huge amount of difference between the two.

This is true. I got to play with one today for the first time and was pleasantly surprised. Screen is very sharp, it will be interesting to see what the iPad Jr is packing.

Renzatic

Suspended
This is true. I got to play with one today for the first time and was pleasantly surprised. Screen is very sharp, it will be interesting to see what the iPad Jr is packing.

If I were a betting man (and I am, got a dollar right here), I'd guess the smaller iPad would be sporting a 1600x1200 screen. It's a step down from 1024x768 to 800x600 to compensate for the smaller size, then doubled up to retina resolutions.

It's 4:3, and gives it the same PPI as the iPad 3.

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
That 'retina' junkie is crazy! I guess he can't get over the simple fact that some people would rather save $300 and still get a brand new tablet. I bought my Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus back in February for $350. I've had it long enough to not feel remorse about the Nexus 7 and its cheaper price, but it's still an amazing offer!

monty77

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
UK, South Coast
I jumped on the Nexus 7 bandwagon at the weekend. Like others here I wanted a smaller tablet .. the iPad3 was too close in size / portability to the MBA and quite frankly I didn't want another £500+ tied up in a device that wasn't used all that much.

Initial impressions

- Android JB is quite nice really, nice eye candy. Still a bit clunky in areas (settings for example) but a massive improvement since I last had an Android device
- Hardware, for the price, is impressive. There are no 2 ways about it. Display is crisp, clear and colours are spot on. It's no iPad3 granted but it's 1/2 the price and the iPad's screen sure isn't 2x better
- Google play store is pretty nice, good to have everything in once place
- The end to end experience still isn't there .. I miss iCloud (although some apps are there to solve that) and Photostream lots. I yearn for Airplay too!

..so all in I'm impressed, Google might just have this cracked some day soon, for me Airplay/iCloud/Photostream will be a draw back to iOS when/if they come out with a smaller iPad but for now I'm happy enough.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
...Still a bit clunky in areas (settings for example) but a massive improvement since I last had an Android device.
I agree w/ you on the clunkiness of settings for android devices, but iOS settings is also a mess IMO. I don't understand something so simple that most people use has not been properly done in both of them.

If it wasn't for the :apple: app store I could see Android dominating the tablet market since it lets you do way more things and is a step closer to having a 'replacement' to a computer than an iPad. I still like webOS for a tablet than any of the others. If it had been released today & way more polished it might have had a better chance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.