Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ravensfan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Well I went to New Jersey for 3 days and left my macbook sitting under my bed sheets closed, the power supply plugged in and the macbook on.

When I came back to it..I opened it up to find that the keyboard was full of water drops and off. I quickly wiped them off and checked the battery..full bars. About 4 hours later I tried to turn it on and does NOT turn on :(

I have the 3 yr extended warranty but when I took it to the genius to get it fixed he said that it does not cover "spills". Did i spend $300 on a warranty that in the end does not HELP me?

Now if i want it fixed it will cost me $750 flat fee.

HOW CAN I CONVINCE THEM THAT IT WAS NOT A SPILL AND TO SAVE MYSELF 750 DOLLARS?!?!!

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Just out of interest, why did you leave it plugged in for days when you weren't there? AND UNDER bed sheets?

The bed absorbs water - sweat - plugged in Macbook generates heat, Hot MacBook causes water to evaporate and will then condense inside the MacBook.

Only you are to blame. No Warranty would cover you for this. Sorry to say, you only have yourself to blame for leaving it underneath the bed sheets.

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
Can we say fire hazard?

Also FWIW, a fire sprinkler ruining your laptop is also not a 'spill', so why would your 'not a spill' be covereD?

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
Sorry, Apple Care covers defects in workmanship. i.e faulty logicboard, faulty LCD. It does not cover user caused damaged. Even if you weren't there to caused it. If you dropped your machine in the street and someone ran it over it wouldn't be Apple's resonsibility to make repairs. It's the same reason Kia woudn't pay to replace my minivan if I was in an accident. It sucks, but it's life. For over a grand, you should take better care of your stuff.

ravensfan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Can we say fire hazard?

Also FWIW, a fire sprinkler ruining your laptop is also not a 'spill', so why would your 'not a spill' be covereD?

I dont know. I bought the apple care plan thinking that if something happened to my mac it would be covered. Now I'm just sh-t out of luck!

ravensfan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Sorry, Apple Care covers defects in workmanship. i.e faulty logicboard, faulty LCD. It does not cover user caused damaged. Even if you weren't there to caused it. If you dropped your machine in the street and someone ran it over it wouldn't be Apple's resonsibility to make repairs. It's the same reason Kia woudn't pay to replace my minivan if I was in an accident. It sucks, but it's life. For over a grand, you should take better care of your stuff.

I do take good care of what I have! I just messed up this one!

Karstan

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2008
Everywhere
I'm sorry, but I have noticed there are numerous threads enlisting MR members to help some unfortunate person con apple into fixing something that could have been easily avoided! Why not just be honest and count it as a lesson earned. Also, I too have to question....why bed sheet??!:confused:

ravensfan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
I'm sorry, but I have noticed there are numerous threads enlisting MR members to help some unfortunate person con apple into fixing something that could have been easily avoided! Why not just be honest and count it as a lesson earned. Also, I too have to question....why bed sheet??!:confused:

yet again I am being honest. why would I lie here? this is not court. I closed my macbook and it goes into sleep mode so i figured it would be fine since it was in sleep mode and was not being used.

well the bed sheet thing: I was cleaning up stuff and my macbook was already on the bed but the sheet was err used and i was in a hurry to leave so i just quickly laid it out and left!

Karstan

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2008
Everywhere
yet again I am being honest. why would I lie here? this is not court. I closed my macbook and it goes into sleep mode so i figured it would be fine since it was in sleep mode and was not being used.

well the bed sheet thing: I was cleaning up stuff and my macbook was already on the bed but the sheet was err used and i was in a hurry to leave so i just quickly laid it out and left!

I mean be honest to Apple...not us. All I was saying is try not to con apple over a problem that isn't their fault. They will always fix something if it was caused by bad parts, ect...not owner error.

Pacer69

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2008
Sorry to hear this! There's a chance you can dry it out and it might work. At this point you've got nothing to lose, so this might be worth trying:

Don't know if the kb itself is removeable, but if you can, open the case, remove the top case, and maybe let it "air out" for a couple days or whatever. I'd turn it upside down so gravity works in your favor. You'll probably need a take-apart manual which can be found at eshop.macsales.com or google for Macbook take apart or similiar. xlr8yourmac.com should also have instrux and what you'll need to do it. It's not hard, just a pita. Be sure to keep track of all the screws. I put them in cups or better yet ziplock bags with a note / drawing in there saying how many there are and where they go.

Gently swab out the guts with Qtips as well. It may take up to a week or two for it to fully dry out. Put it in a heated, low-humidity room, that might help. Try to fire it up in 3 days, then a week, then two weeks, it may be just fine.

You should also take out your hd, let it sit for a few days, and see if you can get it to work in an external case on another mac. At least maybe you can save your data if your machine doesn't boot again. There's a good chance this is fine, maybe a lot of components are fine such as RAM, etc. Unseat the RAM, too, make sure that area is dry since it was close to the bed.

BEFORE DOING ANY OF THIS: Make sure battery is disconnected and computer is unplugged!

PM me if you get it to work. Good luck and hang in there.

doclouleigh

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I spilled an entire pint of beer on my laptop and immediately turned it upside down...didn't turn it on for about 24-48 hours...

When I turned it back on there were a couple of keys that were sticking, but after time that worked itself out...

The key with any electronic, if it gets wet, is to turn it OFF immediately and let it dry out completely before turning it back on! Take as much of it apart as you can to let it dry out...

This is my best advice...

Sorry for the bad luck...

CalmEnvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Leaving it under your bed sheets? Geez, fire hazard. Anyways, this would probably fall under user negligence, leaving it under your bed sheets pretty much makes your MacBook toast. Your going to pay to price for this since there would be no way Apple will repair it for free, sorry.

vansouza

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2006
West Plains, MO USA Earth
I feel for you but you did a less then very bright thing with a very expensive tool; and learned, and taught us, a lesson. Good thing I got my MB at BestBuy, they have a plan that covers user negligence; that is the one I got.

You should have let it dry out for days before turning it on. I still do not see how the sheets got wet enough to damage a closed computer. Oh well, good luck to you...:eek:

Hoopdy

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
This guy the perfect example of user error. What were you thinking when you left it plugged in under sheets?

pondie84

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
This guy the perfect example of user error. What were you thinking when you left it plugged in under sheets?

I'm pretty sure he's explained this now and certainly doesn't need yet another person jumping up and down with feigned indignation.

ikenfix.com

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2008
USA
Fluid damages to Notebooks

All may not be lost if letting it dry out still renders a dead or inoperable unit. Weve repaired tons of fluid damaged machines and On a few occasions simply cleaning the systemboard and other affected components will start you with a semi-functional unit. If you need help and have exhausted other resources buzz back. (Had one in this week a new Black Macbook, Full glass of Iced Tea with sugar dumped on Keyboard, And we resurrected saving the Kid 700.00 through outside/Other sources)..

Hes a happy camper to say the least spending 379.00 done and shipped back..
Just food for though and not an Adverse-tisement..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.