Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oofio2461

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2021
 Full Moon
A week ago there were rumors of a new iPad going to be released this week, of course, that didn't pan out, and instead got an Apple Pencil USB-C. With Apple announcing an October 30 event, I'm wondering if the iPad Air and/or Mini will get refreshed this year. An iPad Air gets refreshed every 18 months normally, and with it being marked "Do Not Buy", I'm wondering if should I wait for the Apple event to get my hopes high, or buy an iPad Air right now. I seriously doubt that Apple won't update any iPads this year, especially given some of the iPads are getting a bit old (9th gen, Mini 6, Air 5.) in the lineup.

My Sister wants an iPad by next month, I don't know if I should wait or not especially given this:
No iPad Air this year? Of course, March is way too long, and I know Gurman has been wrong a lot lately or changing his releases very late, but no one is talking about iPads in this event, and this Buyer's Guide isn't too well either. So I have no clue to buy an iPad now or risk it to wait a week, causing shipping delays and all of that.

1698198008378.png

Edd70

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2018
Really hoping it happens, my 2017 5th gen iPad is so tired, and I’m determined to wait for the next Air model. Should be a massive upgrade.

Reactions: Jovijoker

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
If there were going to be iPads, they probably would have held the new pencil back to release alongside them? Sounds like it will be quite a full event anyway with the M3/Pro/Max chips and possibly 4 Macs being released (iMac, 13, 14, 16 inch MacBook Pros).

oofio2461

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2021
 Full Moon
If there were going to be iPads, they probably would have held the new pencil back to release alongside them? Sounds like it will be quite a full event anyway with the M3/Pro/Max chips and possibly 4 Macs being released (iMac, 13, 14, 16 inch MacBook Pros).
That new Apple Pencil doesn't come out until November, maybe they announced it ahead of the new iPads.

Nismo73

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2013
At first I thought it'd be the mini, but now I'm on the Air bandwagon for it to get an update at this event. There's no iPads that have the new label on website and they would like to have something new and shiny for the Christmas shoppers. I still think the mini could also get something. They're both still on bluetooth 5.0 could get wifi updated to 6E.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Really hoping it happens, my 2017 5th gen iPad is so tired, and I’m determined to wait for the next Air model. Should be a massive upgrade.
Why? What do you expect? I can come up with M2, TB4, TrueDepth camera system, ProMotion, OLED, and FaceID. ProMotion and OLED will not happen, I am not sure about FaceID, and in that case I don't really see it as a massive upgrade.

Edd70

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2018
Why? What do you expect? I can come up with M2, TB4, TrueDepth camera system, ProMotion, OLED, and FaceID. ProMotion and OLED will not happen, I am not sure about FaceID, and in that case I don't really see it as a massive upgrade.
Agree to disagree, I guess. We’re talking about a 6 year old base iPad vs a brand new Air. Can’t wait.

daavee80

Cancelled
Jul 17, 2019
It's going to be 2 hours long - there'll be more than just the M3 Mac's being announced.

daavee80

Cancelled
Jul 17, 2019
Doubt it going to be an iMac by itself, since it's an event, I expect like 4 or 5 Macs/iPads. Apple didn't say it was a Mac only event.
Kuo, Gurman, et al have been wrong about everything and only a few weeks ago were saying absolutely no Mac's this year, no M3 as it's too soon, etc. And here we are on the cusp of a 2 hour event. The analysts have proved recently that they barely know any more than the rest of us as Apple seems to have cracked down massively on leaks from their supply chain and it seems that most of the info being received by the likes of Gurman is misinformation.

There'll be Macs and iPads announced next week, of that I have no doubt.

Edd70

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2018
Kuo, Gurman, et al have been wrong about everything and only a few weeks ago were saying absolutely no Mac's this year, no M3 as it's too soon, etc. And here we are on the cusp of a 2 hour event. The analysts have proved recently that they barely know any more than the rest of us as Apple seems to have cracked down massively on leaks from their supply chain and it seems that most of the info being received by the likes of Gurman is misinformation.

There'll be Macs and iPads announced next week, of that I have no doubt.
As this thread has progressed I’ve been impressed at how well Apple seems to have put a lid on leaks compared to past years. Seems tough to do.

philvid2

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2011
There have been examples in the recent past of Apple releasing minor updates and accessories which work with existing products in advance of the "main" announcements at an event. It happened before a few WWDCs. There is a chance that is what Apple did with the new pencil. If Apple was aware that there would likely be a mixed reaction to the compromises made with the new pencil, they might have decided to get that out of the way so to not distract from next week's announcements.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I think there will be another Pencil, the Pencil 3 if you will, which will have split magnets to accommodate landscape camera on the M3 iPads.
There have been examples in the recent past of Apple releasing minor updates and accessories which work with existing products in advance of the "main" announcements at an event. It happened before a few WWDCs. There is a chance that is what Apple did with the new pencil. If Apple was aware that there would likely be a mixed reaction to the compromises made with the new pencil, they might have decided to get that out of the way so to not distract from next week's announcements.
This is true, although I expect a Pencil 3 is more likely to launch alongside the iPad Pro redesign next year. The USB C pencil seems to primarily be for the new design base iPad, so if an 11th generation is imminent it would make sense to introduce them together? And that seems like the most likely iPad to launch next week if there are going to be any. Air and mini are also due, sure, but not particularly pressing, unless Apple is desperate to stimulate demand over Christmas.

oofio2461

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2021
 Full Moon
This is true, although I expect a Pencil 3 is more likely to launch alongside the iPad Pro redesign next year. The USB C pencil seems to primarily be for the new design base iPad, so if an 11th generation is imminent it would make sense to introduce them together? And that seems like the most likely iPad to launch next week if there are going to be any. Air and mini are also due, sure, but not particularly pressing, unless Apple is desperate to stimulate demand over Christmas.
I think Apple would want new devices for the holidays, spring release for a non-pro iPad prevents that.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
iPad Mini hasn’t been updated for 2 years or there about’s, so I fully expect that to be updated with the same chip as the iPhone 15 plus other updates, which will make it a hell of a portable games machine!

No new iPad Pro’s or Air, probably an update to the base iPad.

if they update the Mini with the iPhone 15 chip, I may sell my M1 Pro for it…! But we will see.

For me I’d love iPad Mini with new screen to help eliminate jelly scrolling effect, same chip as iPhone 15 maybe with a bit more RAM, storage starting at or have an option for 128GB. Face ID would be nice too. Latest 5G standards in the cellular option. And I guess some new colours? And a camera spec bump.

Last edited:

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Same here. My 2017 5th gen served me so well for about 5 years before getting pretty sluggish. Battery and display are still excellent, though.

Earlier this year it was the 9th gen, followed a bit later by the 10th gen. I'm a fan of base iPads mostly because I see them as the most cost effective and am not enamored by laminated displays. But hopefully some good choices might become available for you at the next upcoming event.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.