Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maid Marian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2020
Hey, I'm new here. I am contemplating and near convinced to try Ipod Pro as a full time system instead of Ipod air and also buying a new laptop. My chromebook won't hack it while I'm in NP school, starting this fall. My biggest questions are thus:
1. I'm thinking of going with a cellular model so I can take my Ipad out in the field and study. How much do most folks spend on their data plans?
2. Keyboard... I want something fully protective and I want something versatile. The magic keyboard would be perfect accept for the cost and that it doesn't fold back on itself. I don't know why I would want it to do that, but for some reason I do.
3. Super psyched about this impending transition and ready to reset my mind frame about how I approach and use technology. Any advice or support from others who have switched to Ipad full time much appreciated, especially regarding other accessories. For starters I am planning on getting a keyboard of sorts, pencil, airpods. What else do I need?

Cheers yall! Thanks for playing

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Hey, I'm new here. I am contemplating and near convinced to try Ipod Pro as a full time system instead of Ipod air and also buying a new laptop. My chromebook won't hack it while I'm in NP school, starting this fall. My biggest questions are thus:
1. I'm thinking of going with a cellular model so I can take my Ipad out in the field and study. How much do most folks spend on their data plans?
2. Keyboard... I want something fully protective and I want something versatile. The magic keyboard would be perfect accept for the cost and that it doesn't fold back on itself. I don't know why I would want it to do that, but for some reason I do.
3. Super psyched about this impending transition and ready to reset my mind frame about how I approach and use technology. Any advice or support from others who have switched to Ipad full time much appreciated, especially regarding other accessories. For starters I am planning on getting a keyboard of sorts, pencil, airpods. What else do I need?

I just recently switched from a 13” 2020 MBP to a new 12.9” iPad Pro w/MKB (you MUST get the MKB or it is a non-starter). So far I have been quite impressed, but it hasn’t been without some frustrations as well. As of now the jury is still out on whether I will stick to this.

I just find myself missing macOS and the filesystem at times. iPad OS has come a long way though. They are getting there with the “Files” app. The biggest game changer for me is having an actual keyboard with trackpad. Apple definitely needs to continue down this path if they expect people to switch from laptops. We also need to see more 3rd party apps get on with support for the MKB.

The main thing is simply getting accustomed to working a different way. Depending upon a person’s needs, I certainly think this is a viable choice.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Welcome to Macrumors!

I went iPad Pro 12.9 with MK only (except iPhone and Watch) this month and it's working out well. I have the wi-fi version and my IPP doesn't leave the house. There's nothing so far in my work or play I'm missing about having a Mac. I also use external drives formatted as APFS for backup. I'm not ruling out getting a Macbook in the future, but for now this is working even better than expected.

Last edited:

Geoff777

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2020
I started out with the very first iPad Pro 12.9 and never looked back. Upgraded last year to the iPad Pro 2018. I like that size because it's pretty much the same size as an A4 notepad (Letter size-ish in USA) and I am much faster taking notes by handwriting rather than typing. Plus I can throw in little diagrams and sketches immediately - try doing that on a laptop!
Rather than go to the extra cost of cellular model, can you just simply pair it with a phone? Saves a lot of money and does the same thing.
For my original iPad I had the Apple keyboard / case..... am saving up for the new Magic Keyboard for the new one. Keyboard (off-screen) much better for Word, email etc.
Good luck!

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Just wanted to address this one note. I have owned every version of the iPad since they came out. Currently running around with an iPadPro11. Each time I get the WiFi version only. I always have my iPhone with me and it has a 10GB hotspot as part of the plan. I can use my iPhone to allow my MacBook Pro, iPads, ZenBook, ect. to access the internet via hotspot. Easy peasy and no additional cellular plans needed nor the additional expense of a cellular iPad.

If the iPad is to be your only cellular device and / or you used it cellularly eight hours a day, I can definitely understand the additional expense.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts

Another full-time iPad user here. :)

My 2018 12.9-inch iPad Pro has been solid since the day I got it.

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
I don’t even look at MacBooks or laptops anymore. I do love using only my iPad Pro 12 with MK. Only one device and iphone is perfect and cheaper.
Re: the question about cellular plans, with my particular Verizon unlimited plan, adding a tablet is $10 a month. They just changed their plans, and I managed to actually save 5 dollars a month and also increase my hotspot data.

Reactions: tgara and C. Robert

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Me! But to be honest, I don’t really require much heavy lifting on any device. I was iPP for a while before, then I got an iMac to use for working from home (big photography programs I couldn’t run from an iPad), but I no longer have that job, and my only other holdout was photo books, which I’ve now found a way to do from my iPP, so I sold the iMac, and I’m back iPP only.

The Magic Keyboard is just awesome, and I love my setup - use at the table or desk with the MK, or take it off and use sitting in my chair or on the couch. I did put a skin on the back so I wouldn’t worry about scratches when I’m using it caseless, and I always use screen protectors.
[automerge]1592770758[/automerge]

I have a cellular model. We don’t have good internet where we live, so I always get my devices with cellular. It’s nice when traveling also. I could use my phone as a hotspot, but hotspot data is limited, and I hate worrying about that.

Maid Marian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2020
I just recently switched from a 13” 2020 MBP to a new 12.9” iPad Pro w/MKB (you MUST get the MKB or it is a non-starter). So far I have been quite impressed, but it hasn’t been without some frustrations as well. As of now the jury is still out on whether I will stick to this.

I just find myself missing macOS and the filesystem at times. iPad OS has come a long way though. They are getting there with the “Files” app. The biggest game changer for me is having an actual keyboard with trackpad. Apple definitely needs to continue down this path if they expect people to switch from laptops. We also need to see more 3rd party apps get on with support for the MKB.

The main thing is simply getting accustomed to working a different way. Depending upon a person’s needs, I certainly think this is a viable choice.

Hey thanks! So I take it MKB = magic keyboard?
[automerge]1592829375[/automerge]
I started out with the very first iPad Pro 12.9 and never looked back. Upgraded last year to the iPad Pro 2018. I like that size because it's pretty much the same size as an A4 notepad (Letter size-ish in USA) and I am much faster taking notes by handwriting rather than typing. Plus I can throw in little diagrams and sketches immediately - try doing that on a laptop!
Rather than go to the extra cost of cellular model, can you just simply pair it with a phone? Saves a lot of money and does the same thing.
For my original iPad I had the Apple keyboard / case..... am saving up for the new Magic Keyboard for the new one. Keyboard (off-screen) much better for Word, email etc.
Good luck!

I’ve thought a lot about using my hotspot, but I’ve read that for whatever reason the cellular data through iPads is more reliable than pairing with a phone. I live out in the country and my phone reception isn’t great to begin with.
[automerge]1592829779[/automerge]
Just wanted to address this one note. I have owned every version of the iPad since they came out. Currently running around with an iPadPro11. Each time I get the WiFi version only. I always have my iPhone with me and it has a 10GB hotspot as part of the plan. I can use my iPhone to allow my MacBook Pro, iPads, ZenBook, ect. to access the internet via hotspot. Easy peasy and no additional cellular plans needed nor the additional expense of a cellular iPad.

If the iPad is to be your only cellular device and / or you used it cellularly eight hours a day, I can definitely understand the additional expense.
Yeah this is one of the biggest hang ups for me right now. I live out in the country and my cell service isn’t great to begin with but obviously it reaches further than my WiFi. I’d read somewhere that what you can get for the iPad can be better than whatever cell service I can get through my phone, but I don’t know enough about it to know if that makes sense or not. I’m thinking about getting the cellular option just in case. It’s for school so the extra expense is a bit more justifiable than if I were just getting it for kicks.
[automerge]1592829817[/automerge]
Another full-time iPad user here. :)

My 2018 12.9-inch iPad Pro has been solid since the day I got it.
Awesome!
[automerge]1592829908[/automerge]
Me! But to be honest, I don’t really require much heavy lifting on any device. I was iPP for a while before, then I got an iMac to use for working from home (big photography programs I couldn’t run from an iPad), but I no longer have that job, and my only other holdout was photo books, which I’ve now found a way to do from my iPP, so I sold the iMac, and I’m back iPP only.

The Magic Keyboard is just awesome, and I love my setup - use at the table or desk with the MK, or take it off and use sitting in my chair or on the couch. I did put a skin on the back so I wouldn’t worry about scratches when I’m using it caseless, and I always use screen protectors.
[automerge]1592770758[/automerge]

I have a cellular model. We don’t have good internet where we live, so I always get my devices with cellular. It’s nice when traveling also. I could use my phone as a hotspot, but hotspot data is limited, and I hate worrying about that.
That’s my very concern. The internet is just terrible where I live. Did you consider just using a hotspot?

Last edited:

mdjasrie

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2009
Singapore
Get some form of peripheral that allows you to type or use a cursor and the iPad Pro will be VASTLY more useful. After that, its just a matter of learning how to get around to doing things on the iPad Pro that were originally used to on a desktop.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
That’s my very concern. The internet is just terrible where I live. Did you consider just using a hotspot?

No. I have satellite wifi, which isn’t horrible when it isn’t raining, or if the data limit isn’t met, or at busy times of the day, but our cell service out here is awful (and no one’s service out here is better than ATT at this point) so a hotspot isn’t really a solution.

Reactions: HKDesign

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
I am a full time iPad-er now. What finally made that possible after a number of false starts was native cursor support and the Magic Keyboard.

Reactions: 0128672

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
I just use iPhone hotspot. It’s all automatic and connects before I have even unlocked the iPad normally. Don’t know about where you live but here in Europe they don’t tend to limit hotspot data, and my data plan has 100gb data. Obviously your millage may vary here, but it’s just as convenient and cheaper than getting a second plan.

Cosmo M3

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
Not 100% full-time because I just don’t like the way the apps on iPadOS is the nerfed version of the desktop apps (i.e.) Excel and Lightroom. Also I have to triage photos and doing that on the iPad Pro 12.9” sucks as well.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Not 100% full-time because I just don’t like the way the apps on iPadOS is the nerfed version of the desktop apps (i.e.) Excel and Lightroom. Also I have to triage photos and doing that on the iPad Pro 12.9” sucks as well.
It’s a bit strong to call lightroom on the iPad nerfed, it lacks a couple of the more obscure features of classic, and it has a different take on file management - but it’s still an excellent editing app.

Momof9

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2018
I sort of am... I did try so hard a few years ago to go iPad only, but I had a few snags along the way.

I need to be able to access the backend of a digital store I sell at, and their system uses flash... can't do it even on a Chromebook.... I had to borrow a laptop to set up a new printer... Also, it is getting easier to get to external hard drives??? I have several 3-5TB drives...

So I did end up getting a Mac mini.... I mainly use the Mac mini for browsing the internet (I have 2 large monitors), looking at files (for when I am designing). I also do a little bit of graphic design stuff on the Mac, but mostly I love using my iPad Pro for that. I have emails on iPP and everything else... I do have 2 12.9" and 1 11" iPP....

I may get a mini (refresh this fall???) to take notes on for church etc. I have been using my iPhone for that, but it is not the best... I have a very old handwriting app that hasn't been updated in ages and it is starting to get wonky. I so wish they would get pencil support on the iPhone!!! If I can get a different light weight case for my 11", I might be able to use it.

I DO LOVE my Apple Pencil!!!! I also have a Logitech keyboard I use when at my computer desk... When I have my iPads in my room, I only use the pencil....

Cosmo M3

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
It’s a bit strong to call lightroom on the iPad nerfed, it lacks a couple of the more obscure features of classic, and it has a different take on file management - but it’s still an excellent editing app.

it’s good for what it is

Airforcekid

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
United States of America
No. I have satellite wifi, which isn’t horrible when it isn’t raining, or if the data limit isn’t met, or at busy times of the day, but our cell service out here is awful (and no one’s service out here is better than ATT at this point) so a hotspot isn’t really a solution.
You may be better off getting a mobile hotspot with a directional antenna. Hotpot vs built in cellular should be nearly identical in performance as in an iPhone paired with an iPad. A good rooftop antenna would most likley reduce latency and increase bandwidth if you have less than 3 bars currently. Hopefully Starlink takes off and kills off all the horrible satellite providers out there now.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
I sort of am... I did try so hard a few years ago to go iPad only, but I had a few snags along the way.

I need to be able to access the backend of a digital store I sell at, and their system uses flash... can't do it even on a Chromebook.... I had to borrow a laptop to set up a new printer... Also, it is getting easier to get to external hard drives??? I have several 3-5TB drives...

So I did end up getting a Mac mini.... I mainly use the Mac mini for browsing the internet (I have 2 large monitors), looking at files (for when I am designing). I also do a little bit of graphic design stuff on the Mac, but mostly I love using my iPad Pro for that. I have emails on iPP and everything else... I do have 2 12.9" and 1 11" iPP....

I may get a mini (refresh this fall???) to take notes on for church etc. I have been using my iPhone for that, but it is not the best... I have a very old handwriting app that hasn't been updated in ages and it is starting to get wonky. I so wish they would get pencil support on the iPhone!!! If I can get a different light weight case for my 11", I might be able to use it.

I DO LOVE my Apple Pencil!!!! I also have a Logitech keyboard I use when at my computer desk... When I have my iPads in my room, I only use the pencil....
Get jump desktop. Just got it. Macos as an app. Amazing. Use my iPad Pro with my mini like that.
it’s good for what it is
Run my photography business using it. It’s certainly ample.

Reactions: WorldIRC

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
You may be better off getting a mobile hotspot with a directional antenna. Hotpot vs built in cellular should be nearly identical in performance as in an iPhone paired with an iPad. A good rooftop antenna would most likley reduce latency and increase bandwidth if you have less than 3 bars currently. Hopefully Starlink takes off and kills off all the horrible satellite providers out there now.

We tried ATT’s new offering that is their cellular but with the antenna and the router - can’t for the life of me remember what they call it - fixed wireless I think - we couldn’t even get that. They said our cellular signal wasn’t strong enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.