Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kaydot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
I'm an iPad 2012 owner and this is my first tablet. I've since fallen in love with the portable form factor, reading Flipboard, Pocket and generally surfing the web. I also enjoyed the new Magic game, Scribblenauts and Tiny Tower.

The Nexus 7 looks great and it's only $200. The early reviews are in, and they are really great.

Are any current iPad owners considering getting the Nexus 7?

I'm thinking of getting it mostly because I'm now addicted to tablet computing.

ntc3freak

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
ME! Technically I don't own an iPad yet (will do in the next 2 weeks) but I will pick up the Nexus 7 as well. I'm so excited! My first tablets! I've waited long enough by the sidelines. Both look excellent and perform excellently. Not to mention Jelly Bean is now so much smoother, that was my primary criticism of Android tablets before this.

My bet is there will be a lot more people like us :D especially those with kids. The Nexus 7 is far more suitable to give to a kid than an iPad IMO. And if they break it, at least it won't cost you as much in repairs :p

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
I like the 7" size. It doesn't cut it for me in terms of what I need my iPad for, so I won't be getting one any time soon, but my husband just got a Samsung 7" tab and the light weight is pretty nice.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
The Nexus 7 looks great, but since I already own an iPad I'm not planning to get one. It would be redundant and a waste of money for me to have two tablets.

However, my iPhone contract is about to expire so I might pick up the new iPhone (hopefully it will have a bigger screen) or a large screen Android phone.

kaydot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
The Nexus 7 looks great, but since I already own an iPad I'm not planning to get one. It would be redundant and a waste of money for me to have two tablets.

That's actually my hangup on getting the device - two tablets. Kind of redundant. But I've grown to love the tablet experience, that I hardly imagine that you can have too many. If my GF is monopolizing the iPad, at the very least I can do some light surfing and Flipboarding on the Nexus!

My other problem is that I love good deals. The reviews have been basically unanimous in that the Nexus 7 is a great deal at $200.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
Nope. Call me a slave to the ecosystem but I'm perfectly happy with my holy trinity of Apple goodies. iPad does everything I need so I don't need another tablet. That and I have an HP Touchpad as well. The addition of the Nexus 7 would be uber redundant.

number84

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2011
I would if it came with 3G/4G/LTE as it'd be more portable than my iPad. As for having more than one tablet, with 3 of us in the house I'd think we'd find use for an extra one.

advan031

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2008
I've owned every iteration and currently own the latest iPad. I bought a Nexus 7 to finally give android a shot since it looks like the most polished android version:D.

SaleenS351

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2004
California
I have an iPad 3 and I'm considering the nexus 7 in addition to my iPad. Just not sure about having 2 tablets. Although they do offer some differences that might make it worth having both.

I just bought a Samsung Galaxy S3. Switching from my iPhone 4s. Jelly Bean does intrigue me along with price, size, and diversity.

We shall see. The problem is I have a lot invested in the iPad both app wise and $$$. I don't think I could ditch both the iPhone and iPad. Seeing as I'm deeply invested in the apple ecosystem.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
No. I already have a 7" android device that I rarely use. I prefer to take my iPad to work. 7" is still too cumbersome to use outside.

R1PPER

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
might get the kids a second hand one in 8 months...doesn't matter if they drop it in a swimming pool.

seajewel

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
Why have an iPad and nexus 7????

I have neither, but I think a Nexus 7 would be a perfect reading device, like a Kindle but for people who don't mind not having e-ink. I worship my Sony PRS-950, but it's good for reading and absolutely nothing else, whereas a Nexus 7 combines the portability of a smaller (but bigger than an iPhone screen) and lighter (than the iPad) reading device with other tasks like email, web browsing, video, games. the 7 inch size is not great for reading PDFs though, which I have to do a lot of for work.. so I could see having a bigger iPad for at home entertainment+work documents and a Nexus 7 as a Kindle replacement.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
...so I could see having a bigger iPad for at home entertainment+work documents and a Nexus 7 as a Kindle replacement.

But it's another device to carry. I carry my iPad with me almost everywhere I go, and my iPhone totally comes everywhere with me, so in that sense, I have no need or desire to carry yet a third device. So I'm not interested in the Nexus 7, nor would I be ineterested if Apple were to come out with a 7 inch iPad. To me, the iPad is the perfect reading device, and when it is too inconvinient to take out my iPad, I can get by with my iPhone.

cdf3

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2012
The Nexus 7 does seem pretty tempting with its form factor and price.
If I didn't already have an Android tablet, I would get it to go along with my iPad.
I tend to use my iPad more, but the Android tablet I have comes in handy when transferring files to and from my USB jump drive.
I mostly use the cloud to store documents, but transferring files via USB comes in handy when I'm at work and can't pickup a data signal inside the building.

seajewel

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
But it's another device to carry. I carry my iPad with me almost everywhere I go, and my iPhone totally comes everywhere with me, so in that sense, I have no need or desire to carry yet a third device. So I'm not interested in the Nexus 7, nor would I be ineterested if Apple were to come out with a 7 inch iPad. To me, the iPad is the perfect reading device, and when it is too inconvinient to take out my iPad, I can get by with my iPhone.

Some people don't want to carry the iPad around, whereas the Nexus 7 might be more reasonable to fit in a purse. I understand it doesn't fit your needs--personally, I like my e-ink reading device and its size for novel reading, and found the iPad unwieldy for that purpose. I was just stating why I think some people might want both.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
I'm dying for something in between 3.5 inches and 10 inches, but I'm not going to give up the retina display, ever. No reason at all to go back to a standard-DPI display.

I'd love an iOS device at 5 inches or something so I could have something large enough to share videos and whatnot like I do with my iPad but that can also make calls and stuff.

jeremyshaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2011
I don't know... I've carried a Nook Color around with me for a while, it's size was okay, but still a bit too large to be convinient. I thought some of the convinience was set in software, but after owning a Transformer TF101 for a while (about as stock android as it got for tablets), I still didn't like it. I now don't even have a tablet, just relying on my iphone when I have to, and my laptop when I can use it. I have an iPad, but without mobile data on mine (I didn't think to get the 3G version when I was buying), it's somewhat useless.

I think I'll wait for a larger iphone (if it happens), and see if that resolves my mobile needs. Wants? Well, that may take a leap of faith.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Some people don't want to carry the iPad around, whereas the Nexus 7 might be more reasonable to fit in a purse. I understand it doesn't fit your needs--personally, I like my e-ink reading device and its size for novel reading, and found the iPad unwieldy for that purpose. I was just stating why I think some people might want both.

Yes, for people who find the iPad too big to carry outside the house/office, I can see how they might find a 7 inch size attractive. Your post just crystalized for me why *I* don't want a 7 inch tablet -- it's because I already carry the iPad with me almost everywhere. Sorry I didn't make that clear before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.