Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alflavor

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2010
Whittlesey, UK
Nah, I'm happy with Apple ecosystem. I must admit it looks like to be the most impressive ipad contender that's come out so far though and good luck to it.

NbinHD

macrumors 6502
Looking into getting one for my birthday, but would much prefer to have a 7" Apple Tablet then the Nexus since I love iOS and how stable/safe it is. We can only hope, a 7" iPad would be absolutely beautiful for my needs.

headfuzz

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2007
Brighton, UK
Was tempted until I discovered there's no 3G version.

Having to tether a MID to another MID such as a smartphone to get online always struck me as an incredibly dumb paradigm.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Was tempted until I discovered there's no 3G version.

Having to tether a MID to another MID such as a smartphone to get online always struck me as an incredibly dumb paradigm.

I guess many people tend to assume that most will naturally have their mobile phone with them all the time anyway, and, like with the iPad, the WiFi model is the most popular.
Firstly due to the ridiculous mark up Apple put on the 3G addition which cannot ever be justified, and that you can just use your mobile you have with you anyway for the odd occasion you need it.

Of course, some do need 3G in their tablet but only the minority

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
I have one on order. $200 is nothing. I'll see what it's like for a while then most likely give it to someone.

May also just use it in situations where if I get it lost or damaged, I won't care because it's cheap and not my beautiful iPad.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
not bad...over 9 hrs runtime on a form-factor that small with a quad-core cpu is pretty impressive. the non-3g support isn't as big a deal as some try to make out and is par for the course for tablets on this size and price point.

would have liked to have seen sd card support from the get-go, but 16 gb is sufficient for most use cases.

A good, level headed, unbiased review of this new device here:

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2012/07/google-nexus-7-tablet-review-the-new-best-way-to-spend-160-quid/

Very tempted to pick one up.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I guess many people tend to assume that most will naturally have their mobile phone with them all the time anyway, and, like with the iPad, the WiFi model is the most popular.
Firstly due to the ridiculous mark up Apple put on the 3G addition which cannot ever be justified, and that you can just use your mobile you have with you anyway for the odd occasion you need it.

Of course, some do need 3G in their tablet but only the minority

Not every carrier offers tethering options on their smartphone plans, or they price it so high that a separate data plan for your tablet is actually more economical. And what odd occasion? I use cellular data on my iPad almost every time I leave my house. Also, currently I have an iPhone because my employer is paying the phone bill. If not, I would just get a dumb phone and just have my iPad. And then there's the matter of battery -- I haven't tethered myself, but I've seen reports of people saying tethering drains their smartphone battery rather fast. In that case people might not want to depend on their smartphone to supply the data connection for their tablet.

seajewel

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
Seems like the main purpose of the 7 in form factor is for use outside the home. I don't get the desire for a more portable tablet that does not have a cellular data plan. Why sit around home with a Nexus 7 when you could be using a iPad. Certainly the iPad is not too big when you see tons of preschoolers using them.

for novel reading, a 7 inch reader that's significantly lighter than the iPad totally has uses at home, in my experience. and sometimes when this is brought up people get into pissing contests about "how weak are you if you can't even hold the iPad for reading".. but the weight does make a difference, especially to disabled or elderly people. I'm neither, but I still prefer my 9 oz Sony Reader if I'm reading for hours in bed.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I'm an iPad 2012 owner and this is my first tablet. I've since fallen in love with the portable form factor, reading Flipboard, Pocket and generally surfing the web. I also enjoyed the new Magic game, Scribblenauts and Tiny Tower.

The Nexus 7 looks great and it's only $200. The early reviews are in, and they are really great.

Are any current iPad owners considering getting the Nexus 7?

I'm thinking of getting it mostly because I'm now addicted to tablet computing.

It does look like a nice device. I am considering it, but if I do, it won't be to replace my new iPad. I'd get out of curiosity because the price isn't too much. I would like to see how Android works and have never messed with it before. I think it would be a good experience for me to gain perspective on the iOS competitor.

WindWaker

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
USA
Got an iPad 3 day 1, already pre-ordered a 16GB N7. I'm into the Android modification scene, a bit of a hobby :D

Anyway, I'm very excited-- been wanting to try a 7in tablet for a while, much more a Nexus one!

boomboom2

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2012
It does look like a nice device. I am considering it, but if I do, it won't be to replace my new iPad. I'd get out of curiosity because the price isn't too much. I would like to see how Android works and have never messed with it before. I think it would be a good experience for me to gain perspective on the iOS competitor.

I'm getting one, but I like to play with everything. I have an ultrabook and a MBA and I'm tempted to sell the ultrabook for a Surface Pro when it comes out :-D

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Looking into getting one for my birthday, but would much prefer to have a 7" Apple Tablet then the Nexus since I love iOS and how stable/safe it is. We can only hope, a 7" iPad would be absolutely beautiful for my needs.

The nexus devices are just as stable as apple devices. Jellybean is quite a bit ahead of iOS. I much prefer using my galaxy nexus over my ipad 2 and have ordered a nexus 7 16gb.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
The Nexus 7, a tablet that Google are making a massive loss per unit in a desperate bid to put it into people's hands at just $200. As opposed to the iPad which people want and are willing to drop up to £649 on (depending on model). Google, by taking the hit per unit, are essentially paying you to buy one.

kaydot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
The Nexus 7, a tablet that Google are making a massive loss per unit in a desperate bid to put it into people's hands at just $200. As opposed to the iPad which people want and are willing to drop up to £649 on (depending on model). Google, by taking the hit per unit, are essentially paying you to buy one.

Do you have a source for this information? The articles I have read is that it is the 8gb version should be very close to cost and the 16gb version should have a slim profit.

The "taking a hit per unit" business model sounds very similar to American cell phone plans and videogame console makers such as Microsoft and Sony.

But more importantly... Do you own an iPad and if so, are you planning on getting a Nexus 7?

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Do you have a source for this information? The articles I have read is that it is the 8gb version should be very close to cost and the 16gb version should have a slim profit.

The "taking a hit per unit" business model sounds very similar to American cell phone plans and videogame console makers such as Microsoft and Sony.

But more importantly... Do you own an iPad and if so, are you planning on getting a Nexus 7?

Cult of Mac in their latest podcast mentioned it, as John Brownlee was at Google I/O.

And I just spend £649 on a 64GB new iPad WiFi and Cellular, have over £500 worth of apps since getting my first iPhone in 2008. So no, I have desire to buy a Nexus (what happened to the first 6) 7.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Not sure I understand.please explain.

It IS a serious tablet, since it can do MORE than the iPad: file system, manage every file type (zip, rar, etc), no need for video conversion, download stuff from the web, widgets, change ROMS to add more functionality, bluetooth (REAL bluetooth), NFC, better Google Maps and Gmail and YouTube, voice search and offline voice typing, Google Now, better notifications, quad core, etc.

And he says its not a serious contender.............. Sure dude. Sure...

I'll buy one but just to play with it. Its not really a serious tablet like the iPad.

It can do MORE.

Oh, I also forgot... real USB and not Apples proprietary pin.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Oh, I also forgot... real USB and not Apples proprietary pin.

While it's a real mini USB you still can't hookup a flash thumb drive to it, to expand it's storage. It does have nice specs but i'll wait for the Nexus 10. :D

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
While it's a real mini USB you still can't hookup a flash thumb drive to it, to expand it's storage. It does have nice specs but i'll wait for the Nexus 10. :D

Yes you can, but with an adapter. I saw a video of this with a Galaxy Note. They guy connected his pendrive to the phone with an adapter and used a file explorer to play videos and watch PDFS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.