Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does your 16 inch MacBook Pro have pop/cracking sound issue?

• Total voters

dmstasinos

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2019
Thats nice, at least this issue is fixed for the new macs

This is good news indeed for new owners but bad news for everyone who purchased their laptop until recently. If new units don’t introduce popping this means that the problem was resolved on hardware level so it’s not a software issue and thus won’t be resolved on affected units.

The only solution then for us is a repair program which would be quite problematic as every single component is soldered on the logic board.

Maddcow

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2020
I have a 16" MacBook Pro and have just updated to 10.15.5.....and this 44.1kHz speaker issue is still there. I even specifically signed up to this forum in order to keep in touch with other affected users and to find out if/when a solution may become available.

sakagura

Suspended
Feb 29, 2020
I have a 16" MacBook Pro and have just updated to 10.15.5.....and this 44.1kHz speaker issue is still there. I even specifically signed up to this forum in order to keep in touch with other affected users and to find out if/when a solution may become available.

Jonathan Morrison, iJustine etc said everything is awesome. They never complained about these things. Therefore we real users are just imagining things. Youtubers are more important and wiser than us. They are gods, remember that.

Maddcow

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2020
Jonathan Morrison, iJustine etc said everything is awesome. They never complained about these things. Therefore we real users are just imagining things. Youtubers are more important and wiser than us. They are gods, remember that.
I call BS ;)

dmstasinos

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2019
I am really surprised that after 10 months this issue is still a mystery. Some fresh reports on FB are indicating that the latest units (purchased after March) are totally fine.

I am now pretty sure that Apple has identified the cause and is purposely keeping us in the dark (cause apparently the issue can’t be resolved in silence with just a software update). I believe that every single user who paid to get one of these units has the right to know what went wrong.

They have a ton of statistics about this and one of the best R&D departments in the industry and here we are, googling and guessing, after almost 10 months.

Reactions: morze

Maddcow

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2020
I've been working directly with an Apple support tech and supplying diagnostics, videos and audio of the issue. To my knowledge, Apple is still stumped as to whether the issue is hardware or software.

Reactions: dmstasinos

morze

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2019
I am really surprised that after 10 months this issue is still a mystery. Some fresh reports on FB are indicating that the latest units (purchased after March) are totally fine.

I am now pretty sure that Apple has identified the cause and is purposely keeping us in the dark (cause apparently the issue can’t be resolved in silence with just a software update). I believe that every single user who paid to get one of these units has the right to know what went wrong.

They have a ton of statistics about this and one of the best R&D departments in the industry and here we are, googling and guessing, after almost 10 months.

Sounds like the Apple memo sent to repair centers last year claiming it was a software issue and not to repair/ issue refunds was just to reassure owners and potential buyers after the press picked up on it. If they can't fix it with software, they should fix it with hardware if owners choose to do so.

Reactions: dmstasinos

mouthster

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2005
It happens a lot less now, never hear it anymore with normal usage (Spotify, YouTube, etc.). But if I start using a CPU heavy VST in Logic or Ableton it still happens.

Last edited:

fij993881a

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2020
Some fresh reports on FB are indicating that the latest units (purchased after March) are totally fine.

Audio engineer here. Just received a brand new 16" MBP purchased a week ago. Updated to 10.15.5. Can confirm that the crackling is happening. It occurs on both internal speakers and headphones. Adjusting the sample rate makes no difference. High/low CPU load makes no difference.

Can't speak to whether it's any better or worse than previous OS versions or earlier hardware runs because this was my first experience with a 16".

It's possible Apple is sourcing multiple sets of audio hardware and some people actually do have functional machines. But many people are also incapable of critical listening, so who knows.

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but a workaround is to use headphones with Apple's USB-C to 3.5mm adapter instead of the built-in 3.5mm port. The adapter has its own DAC, so it bypasses whatever garbage is happening with the internal audio hardware/software.

That's right... the DAC in an $8 dongle succeeds where the internals of a $3000 machine fail. What a joke.

Last edited:

aizarged

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2020
Audio engineer here. Just received a brand new 16" MBP purchased a week ago. Updated to 10.15.5. Can confirm that the crackling is happening. It occurs on both internal speakers and headphones. Adjusting the sample rate makes no difference. High/low CPU load makes no difference.

Can't speak to whether it's any better or worse than previous OS versions or earlier hardware runs because this was my first experience with a 16".

It's possible Apple is sourcing multiple sets of audio hardware and some people actually do have functional machines. But many people are also incapable of critical listening, so who knows.

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but a workaround is to use headphones with Apple's USB-C to 3.5mm adapter instead of the built-in 3.5mm port. The adapter has its own DAC, so it bypasses whatever garbage is happening with the internal audio hardware/software.

That's right... the DAC in an $8 dongle succeeds where the internals of a $3000 machine fail. What a joke.
So you think that the problem is hardware and not software?

fij993881a

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2020
So you think that the problem is hardware and not software?

Not necessarily. I can't say for sure without diving in and dismantling things, which is hopefully what Apple is doing right now..

Even if it turns out to be a hardware issue, it's possible Apple could solve it with a software workaround.

jgorman

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2019
Even on Mac OS 10.15.5, I found there is an intermittent pop that happens at the start of video and audio tracks.

It happens with both the internal speakers and when using headphones connected via the 3.5mm port. It seems to come from the left audio channel generally. Sometimes the pop is very loud, but sometimes it is muffled.

Reactions: g75d3 and morze

mac.ross

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2012
It's still happening constantly for me too.

Anything involving scrubbing a track or starting/stopping an audio/video track whether it's on Final Cut or YouTube and it will snap, crackle and pop.

I think it's a shame, I really like the machine other than that but I find it so distracting and irritating while trying to study that I find myself avoiding using it because I know it will just get on my nerves.

Reactions: morze

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2009
For me it is strange.
It only happens when playing Music and using Cities Skylines (a Steam game).

But the popping sound is almost constant when playing.

mac.ross

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2012
This issue has been around for way too long for Apple to ignore.

You'd think so but unfortunately here we still are.

They've already acknowledged that it exists, they just aren't doing anything about it other than telling Apple Stores to refuse service based on the crackling/popping noises because it's allegedly going to be fixed via software yet here we are months later with the same frankly embarrassing issue.

adeelrahman

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2019
You'd think so but unfortunately here we still are.

They've already acknowledged that it exists, they just aren't doing anything about it other than telling Apple Stores to refuse service based on the crackling/popping noises because it's allegedly going to be fixed via software yet here we are months later with the same frankly embarrassing issue.
It’s fixed on the 5600M

Falcon80

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
I have been using the MacBook Pro 16" for 4 weeks and no popping sound thus far. Running 10.15.5.

Reactions: GlenK
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.