Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does your 16 inch MacBook Pro have pop/cracking sound issue?

• Total voters

unfunfionn

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2015
Berlin, Germany
For me this got better but is still a definite problem. For anybody who does any kind of audio work, it still happens frequently. Ironically it’s worst for me when using Logic, Apple’s own software. It’s also especially bad in Guitar Pro. Basically any app when audio is frequently starting and stopping.

The fact that it’s still happening after so long is a disgrace.

Reactions: chenlola

Brauliox videlca

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2020
I used the new MacBook Pro 16 since one month, and all ok at today, first was very imperceptible but sometimes are very strong, I have installed windows 10 with bootcamp and the trouble is the same in windows, definitely for me, the problem is hardware.

Segata Sanshiro

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2020
I wish I read this thread before purchasing my MBP16.

I have the same issue (MacOS 10.15.6) and I do a lot of sound production with my machine.

I will wait for Big Sur to be released to see if it solves it and otherwise I will probably sell my machine.

Sue Nami

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2020
I got a brand new 16" MBP on Monday and it has serious audio problems especially when trying to work with Logic. I thought my tracks had somehow got clicks and pops on the recorded tracks but the noise is there at some points and not at others and it does it randomly BUT frequently - NOT happy

Reactions: g75d3

denisclc

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2012
São Paulo, Brazil
Recently I bought this software called SoundControl which allows you to control the volume of each app independently.

The software is very nice, but after this I got some popping specially when I have 2 media files running at the same time. For example, If I have a YouTube video running in Safari, and then go browse Twitter with the official app, when a video inside Twitter app starts autoplaying (even if the video is muted), the speakers pop like crazy.

I uninstalled SoundControl and it seems like all is good, for now.

Max48

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2017
I still have this problem. Their ‘fix’ made the sound slightly less noticeable for me, but after repeated pops it’s evident it didn’t do much. Its especiallly a problem when scrubbing audio. If I quick-look a music file in Finder and jump around, it’s very prevalent. This never happened on my old macs. Seems like it’s a hardware issue if they can’t fix it to me.

unfunfionn

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2015
Berlin, Germany
For me this has gotten worse again. Some things seem to trigger it. While using Ableton today, I added a new instrument track and it made a loud pop. Ever since, things like YouTube videos have a subtle, underlying popping sound even as people speak. It's just awful. Logic is especially bad and while I'm not mixing or mastering audio on laptop speakers, it's essential to be able to at least write sketches without the speakers sounding like a bowl of Rice Krispies. It's a machine made for mobility after all.

This is driving me crazy. I paid €2500 for this machine. I wasted so much time with Apple Support in Spring and they kept repeating it was a known issue, but nothing has ever resolved it.

Is there a good way to keep contacting Apple repeatedly about this without needing to do constant phone calls with staff who can't do anything?

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
Similar issue on my MBP 13 ntb 2017, which I’ve had from the very start.

Often at the end of a sound being played from the speakers (usually just the system alerts) I hear a soft almost metallic sounding pop.

This sound never appeared when I had Win 10 on the same machine via boot camp.

I can only assume that MacOS uses the hardware in a certain way and some machines have hardware faults with the speakers.

Concerning to hear that this issue is still going on in machines where Apple is meant to have fixed the flaws of the original 2016 redesign. Evidently not.

mac.ross

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2012
My MBP pro is being collected tomorrow by UPS for RMA and hopefully they'll be able to rectify the popping issue.

I find it extremely distracting and find myself avoiding using my MBP which isn't acceptable in such an expensive product.

I intended to head into an Apple Store for a Genius appointment first but the pandemic sort of threw a spanner in the works for me there several months down the line I'm still here with the same issue.

mac.ross

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2012
I have just received my Macbook Pro back from Apple and the AppleCare Repair Summary states that they replaced the Audio Board on the device.

I wiped the SSD before shipping it as I had a lot of sensitive work and information stored on it but I reinstalled a clean version of Catalina and tested it with a dummy Test account prior to shipping and the issue was still reproducible with this account.

I'm currently wiping the SSD and reinstalling Catalina (again) so I can set the machine back up properly and I'll conduct further testing once I've got it all set up but after a couple minutes of excited initial testing with the existing dummy Test account I wasn't able to reproduce the popping/cracking on YouTube like I was able to before.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the audio board replacement solving the issue but I'll definitely have to test it a bit more and I'll post an update after I've put it through its paces!

Whomi

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2020
I have just received my Macbook Pro back from Apple and the AppleCare Repair Summary states that they replaced the Audio Board on the device.

I wiped the SSD before shipping it as I had a lot of sensitive work and information stored on it but I reinstalled a clean version of Catalina and tested it with a dummy Test account prior to shipping and the issue was still reproducible with this account.

I'm currently wiping the SSD and reinstalling Catalina (again) so I can set the machine back up properly and I'll conduct further testing once I've got it all set up but after a couple minutes of excited initial testing with the existing dummy Test account I wasn't able to reproduce the popping/cracking on YouTube like I was able to before.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the audio board replacement solving the issue but I'll definitely have to test it a bit more and I'll post an update after I've put it through its paces!
Was the sound like bad static crackle? That's what I keep getting but I think the popping sound everyone is talking about is a different issue to what I'm experiencing. My crackle mainly happens when on video calls, but also at other times using other software (modul8). I thought it might be related to the sound syphon app that I use but I uninstalled it today and it was still happening. Out of interest, how long did it take for them to repair and return it to you?

Samorap

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2019

I will await your test results. I am considering purchasing a new MBP 16-inch to replace my mid 2012 15-inch MBP laptop. But the autist in me cringes at the thought of hearing unexpected popping sounds from a $3,000 machine. :(

mac.ross

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2012
I will await your test results. I am considering purchasing a new MBP 16-inch to replace my mid 2012 15-inch MBP laptop. But the autist in me cringes at the thought of hearing unexpected popping sounds from a $3,000 machine. :(

So I've finally found some time to actually use the machine and unfortunately the issue hasn't been resolved.

It's a bit quieter than prior but it's still happening with the same frequency so I'm going to contact Apple support again and see what my next options are because I'm still not happy with the machine, especially not with how much it cost me, to be making annoying popping noises.

This video is exactly the issue I'm having, it pops any time you try to move through a YouTube video and you can't scrub through a timeline in something like Final Cut without it pop pop popping constantly.

My 2013 15" MacBook Pro was pretty much perfect for the 6 years I used it but this has been nothing but trouble since I got it.

My first 16" had a hardware problem which meant the display backlight wouldn't illuminate if I closed the lid (so if I closed the lid I'd have to reboot it to be able to use it again) and it wouldn't charge either, they replaced that one and the replacement has this annoying popping sound.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
2020 16" MBP with 4GB 5500M here, getting the crackle all the time. Rebooting will sometimes make it subside for a while, but my guess is it is due to heat as it usually seems to start when the system is under load. The thing with my crackle/pop is that the sound of the crackle is always the same volume whether I have audio volume at 1 bar or 8.

Haven't contacted Apple yet but I will soon after the major project I'm working on is complete. Have a work 15" MBP with no audio issues and another 13" Air with no issues either, so it isn't software I'm running.

Viamusic10000

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2019
Was told by a friend that a logic board replacement fixed the issue for him. Is anyone with a new 16 experiencing audio issues, specifically popping?

Last edited:

mac.ross

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2012
Mines is away to get repaired.. again.

Here's hoping they replace the Logic Board this time and it brings it to an end!

mac.ross

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2012
How can I get a repair from apple? My limited warranty is over starting December. I want a new logic board

Just go to the Apple Support page on their website and you can either chat or phone their support team who can either organise you a Genius Bar appointment or can send you a prepaid box so you can ship the device to be repaired.

I chose to get the box sent, they send you a special box with instructions and a label and you just organise for it to be picked up (I just had to fill out a form on UPS site) and they’ll come collect it and send it to be repaired.

Viamusic10000

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2019
Just go to the Apple Support page on their website and you can either chat or phone their support team who can either organise you a Genius Bar appointment or can send you a prepaid box so you can ship the device to be repaired.

I chose to get the box sent, they send you a special box with instructions and a label and you just organise for it to be picked up (I just had to fill out a form on UPS site) and they’ll come collect it and send it to be repaired.
Let me know how it goes. Don’t want to bother doing such a serious repair if it won’t be fixed

anderswang924

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2020
I'm joining this thread with another reported Macbook Pro 16" with a sound popping problem. I work in Ableton and Premiere Pro. The problem can be recreated when I do a fast forward playback in videos (which is CRUCIAL to my workflow).
The audiocored is not a fix, nor is opening QuickTime Player.
I've visited Apple repairs twice , and the second time they replaced the logic board. But yet the issue still persists.

What can I do to help get Apples attention on this?

Viamusic10000

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2019
I'm joining this thread with another reported Macbook Pro 16" with a sound popping problem. I work in Ableton and Premiere Pro. The problem can be recreated when I do a fast forward playback in videos (which is CRUCIAL to my workflow).
The audiocored is not a fix, nor is opening QuickTime Player.
I've visited Apple repairs twice , and the second time they replaced the logic board. But yet the issue still persists.

What can I do to help get Apples attention on this?
Nothing. You can sell the laptop and get a new one or wait to see if Apple acknowledges the issue down the line and recall the laptop or offers a free repair. If you really want their attention you should look into starting a class action lawsuit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.