Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zapzoup

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2016
Does anyone have a scanner to recommend that could scan drawings (ink, watercolour, coloured pencil) directly to an iPad ?

I'm considering getting an iPad Pro as my home computer since my 2009 Macbook Pro is on its last legs, my workplace could now provide me with a laptop for my day work, and I find I rarely use my laptop at home anymore. I'm not satisfied with the feature/price-point set of the new Pros, and right now I don't really need something that powerful for my home & art stuff anyways. The iPad would be used for browsing, content consumption, typing translations, games, taking notes with the pencil, annotations, drawing and light movie & audio editing. Another thing I'd be excited to do is to be able to scan my drawings and comics directly to the iPad from a scanner for touchups in Procreate. I'll still have my old Macbook and/or work laptop as an intermediary if needed (the old Photoshop scan), but since I'm looking to buy a scanner, I'm thinking I might as well choose a model that can make the process easier & quicker if possible. I'd also love to save the desk space of not having to have my laptop plugged in the scanner.

From what I can find in my research, the only way to scan directly to an iPad is to use an all-in-one connected to the manufacturer's app (Epson/HP) ? Are there scanner-only options available ? Anyone have experience with these options, the quality of scans for art, and amount of settings that can be tweaked solely from the iPad ?

Thanks a bunch !

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
So you want a flatbed scanner? Or is a adf feedtrough scanner good as well?
What format are the scans you want to make?

I have no knowledge of flatbedscanners that connect directly to iOS.
But I know some Fujitsu’s snapscan i-series can directly scan to iOS.

I myself use the excellent camera on the iPad Pro 10,5 to scan documents. With the right lightning it’s more then enough for occasional document scanning. 12Mpix per page is more then enough for me.

zapzoup

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2016
So you want a flatbed scanner? Or is a adf feedtrough scanner good as well?
What format are the scans you want to make?

I have no knowledge of flatbedscanners that connect directly to iOS.
But I know some Fujitsu’s snapscan i-series can directly scan to iOS.

I myself use the excellent camera on the iPad Pro 10,5 to scan documents. With the right lightning it’s more then enough for occasional document scanning. 12Mpix per page is more then enough for me.

I do use the camera on my iPhone currently to scan bills, documents, and drawings for Instagram, however I'd like to invest in a scanner for art scans, that is, scans that are precise, detail- and color-rich enough for me to then make prints of my art. I don't think the iPad's camera would be high resolution enough for that, but I could be wrong. I does need to be flatbed, since art papers are sometimes too thick for a feeder and some media (ie. charcoal) would probably smear if processed through one.

Reactions: alecgold
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.