Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hancox

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
Still no working "live" HDR tv, and no announcement pertaining to it on the 2022 model. Ridiculous! Same content available in HDR on same app stack.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Still no working "live" HDR tv, and no announcement pertaining to it on the 2022 model. Ridiculous! Same content available in HDR on same app stack.At least inAmerica the TV towers just this year finalized the new transmission standard for $K steaming! Don't expect cable stations to be so quick!

hancox

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
This is streaming live, not cable.

FOX Sports, for example. Doesn't work on their app. Doesn't work on FUBO or YTTV, either. Same content on FireTV, GoogleTV, or Roku works. All of this, despite Apple touting HDR in the 2021 TV keynote.

verdi1987

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
This is streaming live, not cable.

FOX Sports, for example. Doesn't work on their app. Doesn't work on FUBO or YTTV, either. Same content on FireTV, GoogleTV, or Roku works. All of this, despite Apple touting HDR in the 2021 TV keynote.
HDR works on YTTV, but you have to set Apple TV to 4K HDR. YTTV doesn’t support dynamic range matching yet, although YouTube recently added it.

hancox

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
Still no progress on this front, from what i can see. Apple delivers vaporware yet again.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
You should complain to FOX Sports Interactive, it is their software.

hancox

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
You should complain to FOX Sports Interactive, it is their software.
Their software works on every other platform. As does YTTV. Guess what the differentiator is?

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Their software works on every other platform. As does YTTV. Guess what the differentiator is?
Dunno. Does Apple prevent them from writing proper tvOS software?
Are they not willing or not capable?
Looking at what google has done with their YT client, I would say they conciously do not want to follow tvOS UI/UX rules and want to keep user experience better/more coherent on chromecast.

hancox

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
YTTV works just fine with Fox 4K so what are you trying to say exactly?
No live TV app works seamlessly with HDR. Not Fubo. Not YTTV. Not Fox. They all require pseudo-workarounds, which may or may not actually work, to view HDR content as expected.

It's been clear for a while that Apple is doing something weird with live HDR. My (reasonable, IMHO) hope was that a keynote item specifically citing HDR *and* Fox Sports would result in some kind of improvement. Nothing has been seen yet, and it's now been years (and another ATV hardware revision to boot!)

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
No live TV app works seamlessly with HDR. Not Fubo. Not YTTV. Not Fox. They all require pseudo-workarounds, which may or may not actually work, to view HDR content as expected.
Huh? YTTV automatically switches to HDR for 4k HDR content. What workaround are you talking about?

Reactions: mallbritton

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
YTTV doesn't. Regular YouTube does. Care to confirm?

YTTV added support almost a year ago for proper HDR switching.

hancox

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 22, 2011

YTTV added support almost a year ago for proper HDR switching.
As a YTTV user, i have no evidence of this working, nor of any other improvements.

1) YTTV doesn't switch dynamic range on/off when selecting a known HDR broadcast
2) The equivalent FOX Sports app-based broadcast doesn't show HDR in its program guide, when it does on other platforms (and switches correctly as well)
3) ESPN-based "4K" broadcasts are limited to 1080p display resolution (note - this is independent from the broadcast resolution), only on ATV 4K. Known issue with no fix.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
As a YTTV user, i have no evidence of this working, nor of any other improvements.

1) YTTV doesn't switch dynamic range on/off when selecting a known HDR broadcast
It literally does and has for almost a year. If it's not for you then you have a problem with your setup or have dynamic range content matching off.

hancox

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
It literally does and has for almost a year. If it's not for you then you have a problem with your setup or have dynamic range content matching off.
Settings are correct, and work for all non-live content (SDR default, content frame rate and range matching on)

What the heck - I reset my video settings for giggles, and will stick at chroma 4:2:2 as a test.

It still doesn't say anything about the FOX Sports app (which was the actual subject of apple's own keynote), nor the ESPN one. CBS will be an interesting test case this weekend.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Settings are correct, and work for all non-live content (SDR default, content frame rate and range matching on)

What the heck - I reset my video settings for giggles, and will stick at chroma 4:2:2 as a test.

It still doesn't say anything about the FOX Sports app (which was the actual subject of apple's own keynote), nor the ESPN one. CBS will be an interesting test case this weekend.
You probably need to set Chroma to 444 to get less switching in YouTube and YTTV but you can test it and see.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.