Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
For vintage products Apple says they'll fix them... if they have parts/replacements. However, by that stage there is a good chance they won't have parts/replacements, so the claim it can be fixed often isn't really helpful.

Oh well. Maybe going forward I'll tend to aim toward lower end models for some of our iPads since higher end models don't actually get supported any longer. I'm still interested in an OLED iPad at some point though.

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
For vintage products Apple says they'll fix them... if they have parts/replacements. However, by that stage there is a good chance they won't have parts/replacements, so the claim it can be fixed often isn't really helpful.

Oh well. Maybe going forward I'll tend to aim toward lower end models for some of our iPads since higher end models don't actually get supported any longer. I'm still interested in an OLED iPad at some point though.

My gripe with the entry level iPads is they're RAM-starved (storage, too) and for me, that cuts down useful life to around 1/3-1/2 compared to the Pro.

The Air 5 is nice but once you upgrade to something with decent storage, you're at iPad Pro 11 pricing anyway. Really wish there was a 128GB Air 5 for $50 more than base similar to iPhones.

Reactions: jerryk and gecko579

Glee217

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2016

I guess its working in their favor, your falling for it lol

Last edited:

Glee217

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2016
10.5” iPad Pro 74% battery 331 cycles according to coconut and iMazing. Assuming Apple would say its higher at 84% so very low chance they replaces it for $99?

Edit
$119 now! 3/1/23

Last edited:

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
10.5” iPad Pro 74% battery 331 cycles according to coconut and iMazing. Assuming Apple would say its higher at 84% so very low chance they replaces it for $99?

Edit
$119 now! 3/1/23
Is battery life too poor? How’s screen-on time and which iOS version is it on?

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Its not too bad but battery does drop 10% instantly from 40ish to 30ish % and no shutdowns yet. Ios 15.3.3
iPads probably are less prone to shutting down due to sheer battery size, they can most likely sustain the voltage loads required.

If you replace it they’ll give you an updated one, reports aren’t that great on iPadOS 16. Do you have a screen-on time number? Maybe a screenshot from the “last 24 hours” screen?

My 9.7-inch iPad Pro runs iOS 12 and gets 10-11 hours of screen-on time. It was forced to iOS 12 by Apple, and it got around 14 before Apple forced it out, on iOS 9. In terms of cycles and health, Coconut reports about 85% after around 660 cycles. 1st-gen iPad Pro reports on iPadOS 16 hover around the 4 to 5-hour mark at most. Maybe the 10.5-inch iPad Pro on iPadOS 15 (and not 16) is a little better?

Reactions: Glee217

Glee217

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2016
iPads probably are less prone to shutting down due to sheer battery size, they can most likely sustain the voltage loads required.

If you replace it they’ll give you an updated one, reports aren’t that great on iPadOS 16. Do you have a screen-on time number? Maybe a screenshot from the “last 24 hours” screen?

My 9.7-inch iPad Pro runs iOS 12 and gets 10-11 hours of screen-on time. It was forced to iOS 12 by Apple, and it got around 14 before Apple forced it out, on iOS 9. In terms of cycles and health, Coconut reports about 85% after around 660 cycles. 1st-gen iPad Pro reports on iPadOS 16 hover around the 4 to 5-hour mark at most. Maybe the 10.5-inch iPad Pro on iPadOS 15 (and not 16) is a little better?
My battery status under settings doesn’t show irregular draining when not used. I actually reset the iPad so I will use it for a few days and then screen shot the “last 24 hrs”

Btw I contacted iPadRehab for a battery replacement is $35 + $15 ship + $50 if screen is attached + shipping to them

So price is about same as Apple $119 already but Apple does use GENUINE BATTERY but also UPDATES to latest ios so it will slow older iPads while making them consume more battery.

I might go iFixit route doing it my sled with EXTRA PATIENCE!

Reactions: FeliApple

Glee217

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2016

My battery status under settings doesn’t show irregular draining when not used. I actually reset the iPad so I will use it for a few days and then screen shot the “last 24 hrs”

Btw I contacted iPadRehab for a battery replacement is $35 + $15 ship + $50 if screen is attached + shipping to them

So price is about same as Apple $119 already but Apple does UPDATE

So price is about same as Apple $119 already but Apple does use GENUINE BATTERY but also UPDATES to latest ios so it will slow older iPads while making them consume more battery.

iFixit: $44 shipped

Reactions: FeliApple

Glee217

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2016
2nd thought if Apple doesn’t want to replace the 10.5” ipad pro for $119 then no doubt iFixit.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015

There are many complaints about standby time starting with iPadOS 13, and the screen-on time numbers I’ve seen of the 10.5-inch iPad Pro on iPadOS 16 (albeit with degraded batteries) are not good.

The risk of replacing batteries on iPads is quite high, the risk of breaking it when replacing it is significant, and Apple updates it if done through them. If the iPad is already updated you won’t lose anything, but if it isn’t... I don’t know.

I personally would never because iOS 12 on my 9.7-inch iPad Pro will obliterate any new battery on iPadOS 16, but in your case... I don’t know two things: how bad is iPadOS 16 with a half-decent battery, and how good comparatively is iPadOS 15 now. With a new battery it might be half-decent on iPadOS 16, at least for a while, but I wouldn’t know.

Konrad

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2009
Bi-continental
My 2015 iPad Pro is listed in the options.
Would that mean they would give me a new one for £99, rather than swap the battery....;)
They don’t swap the battery. The replace the entire unit for a new one. Apparently Apple still has a significant stash if NOS devices (US). Some criteria need to be met however. They need to actually power the device to run diagnostics, otherwise in the case of 9’7 2016 pro 256GB the $99.- price becomes a $379.- expense, which is useless. After a 3+year storage I was finally able to fire it up by having it plugged to a more punchy charger for one week continuously. during a following visit they managed to find a display blemish, now in yet another attempt to bring the 99 bucks to a more attractive to Apple money grab from my wallet. We finally settled on the $99.- + tax to replace the unit. One more thing that’s needed for them to finalize the replacement activation is your apple id, so make sure you have it handy. Physical damage of any kind may bring the $99 offer to a higher amount. The new unit has to be picked up from the same Apple Store at which time the old Ipad is returned and the payment is made. Claimed 5-7 days for replacement (Los Angeles).
One more note. There are a number of published methods to fire up a battery-depleted iPad. I tried most of them without any success. My last used method, and a successful one, was a week long pluging to a more powerful usb-c charger from a 12’9 iPad Pro.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
They don’t swap the battery. The replace the entire unit for a new one. Apparently Apple still has a significant stash if NOS devices (US). Some criteria need to be met however. They need to actually power the device to run diagnostics, otherwise in the case of 9’7 2016 pro 256GB the $99.- price becomes a $379.- expense, which is useless. After a 3+year storage I was finally able to fire it up by having it plugged to a more punchy charger for one week continuously. during a following visit they managed to find a display blemish, now in yet another attempt to bring the 99 bucks to a more attractive to Apple money grab from my wallet. We finally settled on the $99.- + tax to replace the unit. One more thing that’s needed for them to finalize the replacement activation is your apple id, so make sure you have it handy. Physical damage of any kind may bring the $99 offer to a higher amount. The new unit has to be picked up from the same Apple Store at which time the old Ipad is returned and the payment is made. Claimed 5-7 days for replacement (Los Angeles).
One more note. There are a number of published methods to fire up a battery-depleted iPad. I tried most of them without any success. My last used method, and a successful one, was a week long pluging to a more powerful usb-c charger from a 12’9 iPad Pro.
I have no plans to do a replacement, was just curious about it.....;)
As my battery is only just under 80%, Apple's tool would probably show much higher.

Reactions: Glee217 and Konrad

Etienooo

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2019
Just to contribute to the general knowledge:
I’m based in France and have asked Apple through the Apple Assistance app to tell me the % of battery left on my iPad Pro 2018 12’9 multiple times. They always complied after the initial process (checking the apps using the most battery).

I just did it again and they told me it’s at 1323 cycles and 83% left. I asked « It has to go below 80% to get it replaced? » and the assistant said yes above that they might refuse to do it.

I checked coconut couple days ago and was somewhere in the 70%.
I tried the shortcut someone shared above that just reads the data you can find in settings -> analytics and it had the same number of cycles as Apple assistant but it says battery is at 79%. So Apple assistant number was 4 points above that.

I’ll probably just wait until the end of the year and get it replaced for its 5 year anniversary.

Reactions: Glee217

Glee217

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2016

ios 15.3.3
9259AD2B-9639-48B9-83FF-D7BB31AB5CB2.jpeg
DE859A54-FB3D-4F0B-A193-D2415F73179B.jpeg

Glee217

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2016
I have looked through from 100% to 1% and no drops when on standby (not using). When using it drops but sometimes it drops 3-4% instantly around 30-20% battery left. This was after setting up as new.
Edit
Seems good but is it too old to get it swapped at Apple since its 2017 was the debut.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
Just to contribute to the general knowledge:
I’m based in France and have asked Apple through the Apple Assistance app to tell me the % of battery left on my iPad Pro 2018 12’9 multiple times. They always complied after the initial process (checking the apps using the most battery).

I just did it again and they told me it’s at 1323 cycles and 83% left. I asked « It has to go below 80% to get it replaced? » and the assistant said yes above that they might refuse to do it.

I checked coconut couple days ago and was somewhere in the 70%.
I tried the shortcut someone shared above that just reads the data you can find in settings -> analytics and it had the same number of cycles as Apple assistant but it says battery is at 79%. So Apple assistant number was 4 points above that.

I’ll probably just wait until the end of the year and get it replaced for its 5 year anniversary.

Good to know this info. My daughter's iPad Air 3 sits right now around 73-74% based on Coconut reports. The Settings -> Analytics shows 7%8. I am guessing that her iPad might be kind of borderline 80-82% according to Apple? I will probably wait till September/October time frame to see what the new iPads will be and go from there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Etienooo

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I was curious, and I wanted to contribute too. Coconut showed 83% on my 9.7-inch iPad Pro after - last I checked - 671 cycles.

I figured I’d ask Apple, just to find out whether it shows my battery health as higher than that reported by Coconut, too.

Sure enough, Apple reported 93% after 679 cycles. That’s significantly higher than the all-time low of 83% I measured (my previous measurement was 85%, so as Coconut fluctuates a little, we can say 83-85%). I can’t check now, but it’s interesting. The difference is massive. Nearly 700 cycles and 7 years in, 93% sounds a little too high. Like I said, I can’t check now, but the cycle count seems accurate.

According to the replies above this is consistent with everyone else’s results: Apple’s numbers are 8-10% higher than Coconut. It probably needs to be below 70% at least to qualify for a replacement, but then again, @EugW Air 2 showed 81% with a Coconut measurement of 56%?

Last edited:

stonemann

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
Just to add my experience. After random shutdowns/temperature warnings on my iPad Pro 10.5” 2017, I checked the battery capacity on the Coconut app which showed 71 per cent, over 2000 cycles. Took it into the Apple Store and it came up as 81 per cent capacity which falls short of the 80 per cent needed to trigger a replacement iPad for £99. Was advised to recheck capacity in a few weeks/months to confirm battery degradation has reached the cut off point. Think I will go for the replacement iPad as it will get me another couple of years or I guess I could sell it as a near new Apple refurbished unit.

Edit: Was a bit suspicious the Apple test showed battery capacity was conveniently 81 per cent. Wonder just how common this is…

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: foliovision
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.