Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
Just to add my experience. After random shutdowns/temperature warnings on my iPad Pro 10.5” 2017, I checked the battery capacity on the Coconut app which showed 71 per cent, over 2000 cycles. Took it into the Apple Store and it came up as 81 per cent capacity which falls short of the 80 per cent needed to trigger a replacement iPad for £99. Was advised to recheck capacity in a few weeks/months to confirm battery degradation has reached the cut off point. Think I will go for the replacement iPad as it will get me another couple of years or I guess I could sell it as a near new Apple refurbished unit.

Edit: Was a bit suspicious the Apple test showed battery capacity was conveniently 81 per cent. Wonder just how common this is…
I have been there. This part for sure is aggravating. Apple knows very well, that battery at 80% or 81% is as shot and bad as battery at 79%, so they should perform replacements when things are basically rounding error, especially for people with Apple Care+.
I am dealing with a situation like this right now - my wife's iPhone 12 Pro is stuck at 80% after 1100 cycles and her stainless steel Apple Watch S6 is stuck at 81% ~ 650 cycles. Patietience is the game is my guess. Some owners might say it - f that and will get a new device as they won't want to wait for the battery to drop, but we are not them and will make Apple to replace both of these devices when battery hits 79%.

Reactions: stonemann

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Just to add my experience. After random shutdowns/temperature warnings on my iPad Pro 10.5” 2017, I checked the battery capacity on the Coconut app which showed 71 per cent, over 2000 cycles. Took it into the Apple Store and it came up as 81 per cent capacity which falls short of the 80 per cent needed to trigger a replacement iPad for £99. Was advised to recheck capacity in a few weeks/months to confirm battery degradation has reached the cut off point. Think I will go for the replacement iPad as it will get me another couple of years or I guess I could sell it as a near new Apple refurbished unit.

Edit: Was a bit suspicious the Apple test showed battery capacity was conveniently 81 per cent. Wonder just how common this is…
This is the first time I’ve seen a capacity that good on an iPad! 2000 cycles at 71%? That’s amazing! Can you please share a screenshot of the Coconut Battery page?

stonemann

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
This is the first time I’ve seen a capacity that good on an iPad! 2000 cycles at 71%? That’s amazing! Can you please share a screenshot of the Coconut Battery page?
Hope I’ve read it correctly then. Here is my latest Coconut Battery test…

Attachments

• screenshot 2023-09-19 at 13.40.13 copy.png
    screenshot 2023-09-19 at 13.40.13 copy.png
    51.9 KB · Views: 103
  • Wow
Reactions: Torty

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
I had my iPad Pro 9.7's battery replaced after 4.5 years. In the Apple Store they placed the order and then I picked up the replacement unit a week or so later. The first replacement I received had problems with the screen where touch input stopped working, and there was something a little off about the way the home button felt. This is one of the hazards of Apple's practice of giving you "refurbished" devices when you need a new battery. Apple gave me a second replacement when I brought the issues to their attention, but I felt negatively about my experience because of the feeling that they gave me a device someone had returned previously, possibly due to these exact defects, when I had taken such impeccable care of my iPad for so long and just needed a damn battery replacement.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I had my iPad Pro 9.7's battery replaced after 4.5 years. In the Apple Store they placed the order and then I picked up the replacement unit a week or so later. The first replacement I received had problems with the screen where touch input stopped working, and there was something a little off about the way the home button felt. This is one of the hazards of Apple's practice of giving you "refurbished" devices when you need a new battery. Apple gave me a second replacement when I brought the issues to their attention, but I felt negatively about my experience because of the feeling that they gave me a device someone had returned previously, possibly due to these exact defects, when I had taken such impeccable care of my iPad for so long and just needed a damn battery replacement.
When did this happen?

stonemann

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
That’s a little worrying. My iPad Pro 10.5 from 2017 is in pristine condition, and has run very smoothly except for the degraded battery which recently started to cause random shutdowns. It only needs a new battery but Apple insist on replacing the entire machine. I’d like to think that I’d be getting a replacement unit that will perform at least as well as my current iPad has, if not better, assuming it‘ll be a newly refurbished unit.

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
That’s a little worrying. My iPad Pro 10.5 from 2017 is in pristine condition, and has run very smoothly except for the degraded battery which recently started to cause random shutdowns. It only needs a new battery but Apple insist on replacing the entire machine. I’d like to think that I’d be getting a replacement unit that will perform at least as well as my current iPad has, if not better, assuming it‘ll be a newly refurbished unit.
I don't know how common my experience is and, for what it's worth, I would (and plan to!) have "battery service" performed in the future for my iPhone and Watches. I don't believe Apple should be allowed to make any battery service inconvenience a reason for consumers to purchase a brand new device.

Reactions: AngusYoung

Etienooo

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2019
Just to contribute to the general knowledge:
I’m based in France and have asked Apple through the Apple Assistance app to tell me the % of battery left on my iPad Pro 2018 12’9 multiple times. They always complied after the initial process (checking the apps using the most battery).

I just did it again and they told me it’s at 1323 cycles and 83% left. I asked « It has to go below 80% to get it replaced? » and the assistant said yes above that they might refuse to do it.

I checked coconut couple days ago and was somewhere in the 70%.
I tried the shortcut someone shared above that just reads the data you can find in settings -> analytics and it had the same number of cycles as Apple assistant but it says battery is at 79%. So Apple assistant number was 4 points above that.

I’ll probably just wait until the end of the year and get it replaced for its 5 year anniversary.

To give an update on this: my previous post was checked on March 15, 2023.
I just asked Apple for an update today (September 25, 2023) so a bit over 6 months later.
They still claim that battery is at 83%, so not even 1% lost (didn’t report the cycles number though).

The shortcut people mentioned (PowerUtil) still reports battery at 79% like it did last time.
However I’m now at 1518 cycles (1323 cycles 6 months ago ), so about 1 cycle per day.

I’m quite surprised that the battery has not degraded further.
This iPad is about to be 5 years old, have been used everyday since I got it and it’s still not eligible.

From what I understood batteries can be replaced up to 5 years after Apple stopped selling the model.
In my case that would be 5 years after 4th gen replaced 3rd gen, which would be March 25, 2025.
I was quite sure my battery could be replaced by then but after half a year without losing a single percent I’m not even sure of that anymore. We’ll see I’ll guess. I’ll ask for another check in about 6 months and give a report.

Reactions: MrAperture

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
To give an update on this: my previous post was checked on March 15, 2023.
I just asked Apple for an update today (September 25, 2023) so a bit over 6 months later.
They still claim that battery is at 83%, so not even 1% lost (didn’t report the cycles number though).

The shortcut people mentioned (PowerUtil) still reports battery at 79% like it did last time.
However I’m now at 1518 cycles (1323 cycles 6 months ago ), so about 1 cycle per day.

I’m quite surprised that the battery has not degraded further.
This iPad is about to be 5 years old, have been used everyday since I got it and it’s still not eligible.

From what I understood batteries can be replaced up to 5 years after Apple stopped selling the model.
In my case that would be 5 years after 4th gen replaced 3rd gen, which would be March 25, 2025.
I was quite sure my battery could be replaced by then but after half a year without losing a single percent I’m not even sure of that anymore. We’ll see I’ll guess. I’ll ask for another check in about 6 months and give a report.
Degradation is not linear, in my experience you can spend months at the same level and then all of a sudden have a drop of several percentage points. Also once you go under 80% degradation starts to accelerate exponentially (my 10.5 moved from like 75% to 55% in a matter of weeks).

Reactions: Etienooo

stonemann

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
Just an update to my earlier post. I had Apple Support online run a diagnostics test on my iPad Pro 10.5 after another series of random shutdown/temperature warnings. This time the battery capacity came in at 76%. Last week in store at the Genius Bar the reading was 81%. Last week at the Genius Bar I was told I’d be eligible for a like for replacement for £99 if the level fell below 80% as they can’t swap out batteries.

This time the online guy told me I could send in for repair for a replacement battery for £150 or £450 if it came in as a logic board issue! Naturally, I declined his kind offer and asked for another appointment at the Genius Bar where I will have the new diagnostics info to present. Needless to say, I don’t know what the hell is going on or what Apple’s policy is. It just seems totally arbitrary.

edit: also a 5% drop in battery capacity in one week looks very odd. I was suspicious of Apple’s reading of 81% at the Genius Bar as my own check on my iPad Analytics came in at 76%. Coconut Battery reading was 69% btw.

Last edited:

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
The whole challenge of exercising Apple Care + on battery replacements is my main reason for skipping it on my iPhone 15. It was an easy way to convince myself to pony up for it since I don’t break devices.

Then Apple pushes back hard on any battery swap until you get to 79%. Even when the battery is clearly worn.

They even apply the same pushback if you’re willing to pay.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
The whole challenge of exercising Apple Care + on battery replacements is my main reason for skipping it on my iPhone 15. It was an easy way to convince myself to pony up for it since I don’t break devices.

Then Apple pushes back hard on any battery swap until you get to 79%. Even when the battery is clearly worn.

They even apply the same pushback if you’re willing to pay.
Just to clarify - that's only on iPad or Watch, where the service strategy is to swap the whole device for battery replacement.

With iPhone, you won't (or shouldn't, at least) get push-back on a paid battery replacement, no matter what your existing battery condition.

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
Just to clarify - that's only on iPad or Watch, where the service strategy is to swap the whole device for battery replacement.

With iPhone, you won't (or shouldn't, at least) get push-back on a paid battery replacement, no matter what your existing battery condition.

Good to know that has improved. It happened on iPhone for me, but that was the 6S. It happened to me on Watch and iPad as well at newer intervals.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019

True although sometimes they can find excuses for iPhone too. The battery on my iPhone SE had slightly swollen and they refused to do the swap. A third party shop did it without problems and for like $10-15 cheaper. However since everything is serialized I could not update my phone after the battery change and it went in recovery mode with no way to turn back on. Went to the genius bar and they said my phone was broken and beyond repair. Went back to the third party store, they took the phone, charged me $20 more and updated it easily... Don't ask me how, I have no idea... but it has been working fine since

• Wow
Reactions: foliovision

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
True although sometimes they can find excuses for iPhone too. The battery on my iPhone SE had slightly swollen and they refused to do the swap.
Valid point - battery condition alone (on an iPhone) shouldn't prevent a paid battery swap. But, overall phone condition will. They will often decline to replace the battery if there is a separate physical condition issue. Sometimes that's valid (e.g. a cracked screen, even if "you're good with it," can cause problems when opening up the phone).

Reactions: Digitalguy

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Valid point - battery condition alone (on an iPhone) shouldn't prevent a paid battery swap. But, overall phone condition will. They will often decline to replace the battery if there is a separate physical condition issue. Sometimes that's valid (e.g. a cracked screen, even if "you're good with it," can cause problems when opening up the phone).
By the way on iPad too, if your screen or iPad case is in bad shape they’ll refuse the swap, even though they are going to recycle both the screen and the case…

stonemann

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
A brief update. My iPad Pro 10.5” 2017 had been having random shutdowns/temperature warnings. A recent Apple online support diagnostics test showed battery capacity at 76%, down from 81% when the test was done instore a few weeks ago. Took it into the Genius Bar today and the diagnostics showed 80 per cent battery capacity! Fluctuation due to latest store software update apparently.

Anyway, they agreed to swap it for a new like-for-like model for £129. Comes with a 90 day guarantee. I agreed. Think it’s a pretty good offer for what will be a new machine. Employee did check condition of screen and case of my iPad. Looking for warping and any signs of damage. She said they’d have refused a swap if there were any cosmetic defects. Luckily, mine‘s in good condition as I keep it in a case and have a screen protector. So now waiting for it to be shipped to the store In 3-5 days.

Last edited:

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
A brief update. My iPad Pro 10.5” 2017 had been having random shutdowns/temperature warnings. A recent online support diagnostics test showed battery capacity at 76%, down from 81% when the test was done instore a few weeks ago. Took it into the Genius Bar today and the diagnostics showed 80 per cent battery capacity! Fluctuation due to latest store software update apparently. Anyway, they agreed to swap it for a new like-for-like model for £129. Comes with a 90 day guarantee. I agreed. Think it’s a pretty good offer for what will be a new machine. So now waiting for it to be shipped to the store In 3-5 days.
Congratulations on the replacement! I would love to see some battery life screenshots once you get it!

Honestly, I would’ve loved to try your iPad on iOS 10, just to see how much battery life I can extract from it. I’m pretty confident that it would be like-new, but I don’t know that.

Like I said earlier, it’s the highest cycle count I’ve ever seen on an iPad.

Reactions: stonemann

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
A brief update. My iPad Pro 10.5” 2017 had been having random shutdowns/temperature warnings. A recent Apple online support diagnostics test showed battery capacity at 76%, down from 81% when the test was done instore a few weeks ago. Took it into the Genius Bar today and the diagnostics showed 80 per cent battery capacity! Fluctuation due to latest store software update apparently.

Anyway, they agreed to swap it for a new like-for-like model for £129. Comes with a 90 day guarantee. I agreed. Think it’s a pretty good offer for what will be a new machine. Employee did check condition of screen and case of my iPad. Looking for warping and any signs of damage. She said they’d have refused a swap if there were any cosmetic defects. Luckily, mine‘s in good condition as I keep it in a case and have a screen protector. So now waiting for it to be shipped to the store In 3-5 days.
Did you receive the replacement? If you did, how’s battery life? Is there any chance that you could share a screenshot!

stonemann

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
Did you receive the replacement? If you did, how’s battery life? Is there any chance that you could share a screenshot!
Yes! Picked up my replacement iPad Pro yesterday. A few issues last night trying to update/restore from my iMac back up. Finally resolved by updating IOS via a new MacBook Air. So far, so good. Noticeably slicker performance overall. Well worth the £129 I think.

Only charged the battery once so far, but here are the battery details via CoconutBattery:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-14 at 11.47.06.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-14 at 11.47.06.png
    51.8 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Yes! Picked up my replacement iPad Pro yesterday. A few issues last night trying to update/restore from my iMac back up. Finally resolved by updating IOS via a new MacBook Air. So far, so good. Noticeably slicker performance overall. Well worth the £129 I think.

Only charged the battery once so far, but here are the battery details via CoconutBattery:
I’m glad it improved your experience! I wouldn’t have expected an iPad to have shutdowns, even if updated through 7 major versions. I thought that was due to iPhones’ small batteries coupled with too much demand from the OS, but apparently even iPad batteries can’t cope.

I meant a screenshot about screen-on time, is there an improvement?

Regardless, I think that the most annoying aspect of this is when it starts shutting down and having severe performance issues (even more than the ones you get by just updating normally), so I’m happy to see that that’s better for you!

Last edited:

stonemann

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
Last night I was updating the OS and restoring from back up and there was a lot of background app updates going on. I normally have high brightness too. I assume this would affect the result. Will post a screenshot once I revert to normal use. So far here is the first 24 hours.

Attachments

• IMG_7992.jpeg
    IMG_7992.jpeg
    160.8 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Reactions: FeliApple

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Last night I was updating the OS and restoring from back up and there was a lot of background app updates going on. I normally have high brightness too. I assume this would affect the result. Will post a screenshot once I revert to normal use. So far here is the first 24 hours.
Yeah, that will definitely affect the result. I wouldn’t conclude much from this first result if I were you so I will not be doing that myself. Sure, I’d love to see a screenshot with normal use once you set it up.

I am interested in this because I’ve seen a lot of screenshots from non-current iPhones whose batteries were replaced and the results are very similar: fairly usable (unlike degraded ones) but way below the original iOS versions.

I’ve seen a bunch of results from 10.5-inch iPad Pros that were updated and the results have been very, very poor. My original assumption was that the difference would be small, simply because unlike iPhones, batteries are larger on iPads, but we’ll see. I have a number I’m kind of expecting but I won’t give any conclusion until I can see the number.

It definitely will not have the battery life it had on iOS 10, but I think that as long as you can get a kind of usable number, that’s good. I think that as long as you moderate your expectations to more or less that range, you will be happy with it. Like I said, I thought that it would barely make a difference, but perhaps it isn’t the case.

Funny coming from me, but should this difference be decent, I may have underestimated the impact of iOS updates because of large batteries on iPads.

What I can say is that my 9.7-inch iPad Pro has the exact same battery life today than the one it had four years ago, when it was forced into iOS 12. But I’m not a very heavy user. Coconut shows 84% and Apple Support told me it was at 93%, after 710 cycles. Battery life was better (by 25-30%) on iOS 9, but sadly I was forced out of it.

Like I said, the most important part is usability. It may not have the best battery life ever, but as long as it’s usable, you should be fine.

In any case, thank you so much for the data, I really appreciate it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.