Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UKapple

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2012
Just set up my new 11 pro max and straight away it seemed quite ‘yellow’. To make sure I wasn’t just imagining it I have placed it alongside my Xs max, same display settings, TT off and it’s definitely dimmer/warmer than the Xs. The Xs has a more brighter and crisp display and I know this will bug me with the 11 pro. I know there’s always variations between all displays but this is quite obvious.

Now I have to decide whether to return it or not. If I do it won’t be for another unit as I can’t be bothered with all the hassle. Other than that the phone is very nice.

praxis219

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
Just set up my new 11 pro max and straight away it seemed quite ‘yellow’. To make sure I wasn’t just imagining it I have placed it alongside my Xs max, same display settings, TT off and it’s definitely dimmer/warmer than the Xs. The Xs has a more brighter and crisp display and I know this will bug me with the 11 pro. I know there’s always variations between all displays but this is quite obvious.

Now I have to decide whether to return it or not. If I do it won’t be for another unit as I can’t be bothered with all the hassle. Other than that the phone is very nice.

That sucks that it's dimmer than your Xs as the specs indicate it's supposed to be a brighter screen overall.

Reactions: Wide opeN

UKapple

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2012
That sucks that it's dimmer than your Xs as the specs indicate it's supposed to be a brighter screen overall.

Tell me about it! The last two oled iphone displays I’ve had have been absolutely fine and the only issues I’ve ever had with displays were with the galaxy s8 when it took 3 phones to get a perfect display, although the pink haze the s8’s were suffering from was a well reported issue that resulted in Samsung having to push out a update to try and fix it.

I know some will say that if I hadn’t compared it to the Xs I probably would notice but I’m confident I would, I actually thought the TT display was on as it was that warm/dim. It’s fairly noticeable which is disappointing to be honest.

Cynikal.Mindset

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
Guelph ON, Canada
iPhone Pro Max out of the box side by side with my X and the screen is for sure warmer and kinda dull in comparison...waiting for my settings to transfer over so I know they are running the same "spec" to be for sure...luckily I have another to pick up this evening to compare to again of this really is the case

UKapple

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2012
I’m running the same brightness with both models side by side at any same given display percentage 50-100% the pro is noticeably dimmer than the Xs

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
There is no proof that Apple switched to LG for the 2019 phones, stop spreading FUD. They reportedly started production, one of their major plants had issues and there were delays, and that's that as of this past August. This is just panel lottery among phones as is always the case.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Just setup my iPhone 11 Pro. Been using an XR. When doing the transfer did notice that the Pro had a slight yellow tint vs the XR. Will wait for real world usage to decide if it is an issue.

sneeks

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2007
Glasgow, UK
My 11 Pro screen has more of a colour tint to it than my X but I usually find after a bit of use these things improve. I wouldn’t say it looks any brighter than my X but not any more dull either.

Every 11 Pro display model I looked at in the Apple Store looked less bright with some colour cast compared to the iPhone 11 models sat next to them.

iamdman

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2018
My Pro Max has yellow tint (even if thats the right terminology) compared to my XS MAX. I think I will get used to it since it seems very prominent only if I look both side by side. I am planning to head to apple store over the weekend to compare and see.

One thing I see is that all the talk about super bright screen - I did not see such drastic difference having both phones at Max brightness next to each other. Pro is just as bight as Xs Max to my eyes. Also, the true tone setting on Pro turns it bit more yellow cast than the Max Xs.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
My Pro Max has yellow tint (even if thats the right terminology) compared to my XS MAX. I think I will get used to it since it seems very prominent only if I look both side by side. I am planning to head to apple store over the weekend to compare and see.

One thing I see is that all the talk about super bright screen - I did not see such drastic difference having both phones at Max brightness next to each other. Pro is just as bight as Xs Max to my eyes. Also, the true tone setting on Pro turns it bit more yellow cast than the Max Xs.

I agree about the brightness...doesn’t seem any different to my Xs max.

Spiffyis5150

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I can definitely see the brightness difference between my XS Max and my Pro Max. It was surprising to me at the difference though I wouldn't call it huge, but definitely noticeable. Also, like others, I am seeing that the Pro Max is warmer than the XS Max and though I prefer the slightly cooler XS Max screen, I love the brightness of the Pro Max screen. Turning off True Tone on the Pro Max has the color sitting pretty close to how I like it. I haven't yet decided if I will run without TrueTone going forward, but I don't think I will return the Pro Max. I don't know that it's worth the whole screen lottery game at this point.

moderniste

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2005
It's definitely more yellow, especially compared side by side with the xs max. As someone else said, turning off true tone makes a big difference. I don't really mind the warmth though, so I'm leaving it on.

Barrett85

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2015
My iPhone 11 pro is a tad warmer than my xs, but it is brighter than the xs. It doesn’t bother me honestly, and I don’t even notice it unless I’m putting them side by side.

sometimes1

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2014
There is no proof that Apple switched to LG for the 2019 phones, stop spreading FUD. They reportedly started production, one of their major plants had issues and there were delays, and that's that as of this past August. This is just panel lottery among phones as is always the case.

Proof
You can also see it when you look at the screen from the side. They don’t have the same technology.

UKapple

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2012
What I can say is that the warmer colour on the pro isn’t anywhere near as bad as the red hue that plagued a lot of galaxy s8’s. The first two I had were really bad and it took a 3rd and final attempt before I got one that wasn’t affected.

Reactions: m0sher
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.