Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
How can you feel mind-controlled by a video? If that's the case, advertisers love you. :D

I never feel that with MaxTech. I simply take the info that I want (eg. their comprehensive tests/comparisons, and skip the rumor mills (basically they just verbalized the rumors here in video form with added baity titles and soundbites).

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Don't exaggerate. You are not a child. You can think for yourself while watching their videos.

And if you were mind controlled in any significant measure, you would not have freely posted this question here.
Agree.
But I guess having an adult/mature mind is a rarity these days. I'll stop here before I get banned.

Reactions: antiprotest

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
I don’t understand why you would feel this way….

WARNING DO NOT BUY THE M2 MACBOOK PRO
WOW THIS IS WHY YOU MUST BUY THE M2 MACBOOK PRO NOW
OMG THE M2 MACBOOK IS TOTALLY SLOWER THAN THE M1 MACBOOK PRO
WHY THE M2 MACBOOK PRO ABSOLUTELY KILLS THE M1 MACBOOK
HERE’S WHY YOU SHOULD WAIT FOR THE M3 MACBOOK PRO
DO NOT WAIT FOR THE M3 MACBOOK PRO FOR THIS REASON
WARNING THE M2 MACBOOK PRO HAS THIS FATAL FLAW
HERE’S WHY THE M2 MACBOOK PRO DOESN’T HAVE A FATAL FLAW
This is it right here!

If they only had a weekly output that was maybe 10 times smaller then maybe they’d fool someone into thinking they actually care to give their viewers some sensible information.

But YouTube only wants more content and more views. There’s no penalties for exaggeration or lies, and, conversely, no rewards for being honest.

I recommend not watching MaxTech altogether -Yes, all of tech YouTube suffers a bit from the “let’s milk this new product by posting 900 videos on it” syndrome. But MaxTech has to be the worst by far.

Reactions: mr_jomo

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
I can't stand that channel 😅 His over-the-top concerned voice, matching gestures and mimic just kinda rub me the wrong way.
There's a lot of clickbait out there and most (if not all) YouTubers are guilty of that to a degree, but I'll take Luke Miani, Mobile Tech Reviews, Tech Chap etc over MaxTech any day.

It's really grating. I can't tell if they're extremely cynical, and think their audience is really stupid. Or, they themselves really are just as stupid as they treat their audience.

I think it's some combination of both. I find their presentation style incredibly distasteful.

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
MaxTech is the Nickelback of YouTube tech channels, so it's less about "mind control" and more that you should just find something better. :p

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
What’s a shame is that when it’s not a click bait video they are very thorough and good reviewers.

I feel like like they let themselves down, however it’s a job and if that’s what pays the bills then who are to judge.

I find inbox therapy similar as well

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
MaxTech is the Nickelback of YouTube tech channels, so it's less about "mind control" and more that you should just find something better. :p
Unlike Max Tech, Nickelback is good if you have nostalgia for the 2010s. Max Tech just spews out situational opinions based on what people can't make up their mind on.

Reactions: teh_hunterer

progx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2003
Pennsylvania
I don’t understand why you would feel this way….

WARNING DO NOT BUY THE M2 MACBOOK PRO
WOW THIS IS WHY YOU MUST BUY THE M2 MACBOOK PRO NOW
OMG THE M2 MACBOOK IS TOTALLY SLOWER THAN THE M1 MACBOOK PRO
WHY THE M2 MACBOOK PRO ABSOLUTELY KILLS THE M1 MACBOOK
HERE’S WHY YOU SHOULD WAIT FOR THE M3 MACBOOK PRO
DO NOT WAIT FOR THE M3 MACBOOK PRO FOR THIS REASON
WARNING THE M2 MACBOOK PRO HAS THIS FATAL FLAW
HERE’S WHY THE M2 MACBOOK PRO DOESN’T HAVE A FATAL FLAW
MaxTech is even surprised. Haha.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
What did you expect he's the ColtEastwood of Apple.

For those who don't know ColtEastwood is a Youtuber who constantly shills for the Xbox brand as "LITERALLY THE BEST THING EVER PLAYSTATION CANNOT COMPARE" and does the same crap MaxTech does.

To be honest though, all Apple channels are kinda crap with the exception of Marques Brownlee (though he's more tech in general) and Mac Address.

HackMacDaddy

Cancelled
Dec 17, 2019
What is wrong with you people?? Is it en vogue now to hate on Max Tech? Get a life and just watch something else.

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
What is wrong with you people?? Is it en vogue now to hate on Max Tech? Get a life and just watch something else.

Maybe they should get a life and just make better videos?

I feel like like they let themselves down, however it’s a job and if that’s what pays the bills then who are to judge.

When they put out their content publicly, we become the ones to judge 😅

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
No, not at all. I think it's one of the worst tech channels ever made.
I can't stand that channel 😅 His over-the-top concerned voice, matching gestures and mimic just kinda rub me the wrong way.
There's a lot of clickbait out there and most (if not all) YouTubers are guilty of that to a degree, but I'll take Luke Miani, Mobile Tech Reviews, Tech Chap etc over MaxTech any day.
I hate the way they use self-congratulatory language in order to appear ‘better’ than other tech outlets, like the “And we told you about this first”, and “And we were the first to discover this remember”. What do they want, a cookie?
What’s a shame is that when it’s not a click bait video they are very thorough and good reviewers.

I find inbox therapy similar as well
So many YouTubers could benefit from acting classes.

Watching their amateur theatrics is exhausting.

Well allow me to introduce y'all to a better Apple channel I'm sure you'll love. Straight from Linus Media Group is arguably the best Apple channel on Youtube: Mac Address, starring this adorable goober Jonathan Horst

E2bhepyVkAIg6aL.jpg

Jonathan is an old school Machead with an amazing presentation style, who writes and edits Mac Address videos with a comfy feeling and unique theming. While his partners on the main Linus Tech Tips channel does the benchmarks and geek stuff regarding new Macs, he dives into the ecosystem in general, tackling subjects that comes to mind with Apple users like "should Macs have touch screens?"

Or when certain Mac accessories fail to deliver, he offers alternatives

He finds stuff no one else covers, such as some of the bizarre items offered in the Apple Refurbished Store

He even gets first hand accounts of new Apple devices from actual professionals

And despite all this, he keeps it honest and still criticizes when necessary

And of course, he's a goober

Definitely go watch Mac Address. Jonathan and his team deserve as much love as they can get since they're a smaller outfit of LMG.

IconDRT

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2022
Seattle, WA
To think they can control minds is absurd! I just finished binge-watching six months of MaxTech videos. MaxTech runs the hands down best Apple Review channel on YouTube. Accurate, informative, superior production quality, thorough analysis, and accurate/thoughtful titles, truly a quality channel others should strive to emulate. Do yourselves a favor and smash the like button on all their recent videos and subscribe to the MaxTech channel so that you don’t make a costly purchase decision on Apple products that you could avoid simply by taking MaxTech’s recommendations to heart.

Yeah, right, mind control.

iAppleOrchard

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2022
Colorado
Man, I always wondered why I didn't upgrade to my dream laptop!

All this time, it is because I am broke, but I guess I was mind controlled to not buy it lol.
(M2 Air 512 GB Storage 16 GB Ram btw)

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
Well allow me to introduce y'all to a better Apple channel I'm sure you'll love. Straight from Linus Media Group is arguably the best Apple channel on Youtube: Mac Address, starring this adorable goober Jonathan Horst

Definitely go watch Mac Address. Jonathan and his team deserve as much love as they can get since they're a smaller outfit of LMG.

Ah, I knew I’d forgotten something.
This channel is great. If there’s something to rightfully criticize, they will. If there is something that deserves to be praised, well, they will do that too.

They also don’t seem to just pump out content for the sake of it.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
it’s a job and if that’s what pays the bills then who are to judge.
I've always thought "well, it's a job" is a weak excuse for bad behavior, but if the argument is "it pays the bills and who are we to judge?" the answer is pretty clear: we're the people paying the bills.

• Love
Reactions: Arran

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
I've always thought "well, it's a job" is a weak excuse for bad behavior, but if the argument is "it pays the bills and who are we to judge?" the answer is pretty clear: we're the people paying the bills.

Fair comment.. but they aren't ripping people off or murdering people so its hardly a crime of the century. I think I'd liken it to reality shows and all other click bait videos on you tube.

Its just terrible content (At Times) and I don't watch it for that reason.

Danfango

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2022
London, UK
Just watched one for the first time ever. Urgh. Most YT content, this included, is cookie cutter garbage these days to drive YT metrics and clicks rather than actually do anything useful, respectable or decent. The sad sad sad thing is that it works because most people are as thick as pig excrement and will drink this up and the associated adverts. But influencers have to eat, apparently, although I'd rather they didn't 🤣

I had about 20 YT channel subs a couple of years back. Now I have one and the guy who runs that doesn't do it for money and doesn't insert any sponsored content in it at all.

Reactions: Arran

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
Just watched one for the first time ever. Urgh. Most YT content, this included, is cookie cutter garbage these days to drive YT metrics and clicks rather than actually do anything useful, respectable or decent. The sad sad sad thing is that it works because most people are as thick as pig excrement and will drink this up and the associated adverts. But influencers have to eat, apparently, although I'd rather they didn't 🤣

I had about 20 YT channel subs a couple of years back. Now I have one and the guy who runs that doesn't do it for money and doesn't insert any sponsored content in it at all.

I've noticed a real shift from the usual tech you tubers this past year or so where they've gone from good content they appeared to be interested in to making infomercials.

I think last year 4 of the big ones all published the same smart home tech which was ultimately just a commercial for Best Buy..

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Speaking of YT, I noticed that there is a long long list of subscripted sites but I did not do it myself. Did YT automatically subscribed for me without my consent?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.