Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
It seems like the general vibe i get is that people try it, then decide to never use it again. Except for external monitor stuff. Anybody have it on and just…leave it on? And like it? I’m experimenting with leaving it on for a couple days and see if it drives me nuts

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I use it quite a bit when my iPad is docked.

Granted, I still keep most of my apps fullscreen (even 12.9” is too small). However, I find Stage Manager very handy for those apps that force you to use portrait mode.

Also, whenever I need to keep stuff running in the background, Stage Manager seems to handle keeping both active better. With split view, the out of focus window sometimes goes to a different state when I switch back to it.

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
The main reason to use it for me is to run VLC (when needed) with subtitles PiP-like with a second monitor; yes, I then run a few more apps, but overall the stage manager experience is IMHO mediocre and seems flanged to the system.

Reactions: StoneJack

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Stage manager so far handles multitasking surprisingly well, I can open up to 4 games to play them. Granted, I cannot possibly play multiple games, but for them all able to do their own thing is amazing. Most importantly, they are all Running as if they are all active, which makes switching between those “always-online” games incredibly convenient as they never lose focus and disconnect after a short while. However, some game‘s control will interfere with stage manager. So I have to turn them on and off to adapt.

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
Probably decent / great for external monitor use but for me the split screen - slide over + shelf is still the best iPadOS experience.

Multi windowing is overrated anyway in my personal view. Real Multitasking for me is working with multiple monitors.
and if you do want to work with multiple apps, the split is perfect for me

Only time I can do some decent work with multiple windows on one monitor is with Windows via Parallels on my iMac for example.

JD2015

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Have stage manager turned on all the time. To improve stage manager I would like complete control over size of windows, allow full background activity so apps can process actions even if not in use, and also for slide over to be allowed as miss that feature a lot. Maybe allow also some more windows but not a deal breaker. Stage manager gives options for multi tasking and if dont like it can use the traditional side by side view.

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
I probably use it on 30% of the apps I use, mainly for apps that I need to work between e.g. Banking app and spreadsheet. If I lose focus (switch full screens) on the banking app it forces me to login every time, this is a pain. It's helpful for line by line comparison (Xero in a browser etc).

Once I get an iPad that works on an external screen (extend Mx IPP) I will use it a lot more. But I am quite a fan of focused single screen apps - it stops me being distracted - I get a LOT of emails (have over 10k unread) and can have up to 55 meetings a week so focus is a big task for me.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
eh?
I disabled it after testing it. I have a very strong opinion against it. It's bad on the Mac and even worse on the iPad..It's not just me though...
Never tried it on the Mac as I have my system already sorted with the excellent Mission Control.

It’s fine on the iPad though. Works fine, does what it’s supposed to do.

You don’t like the limitations or maybe the ‘opinionated’ design - but it doesn’t mean it’s bad.

I don’t really like it that much either - I would prefer a mac-esque Mission Control.
I at least wish slide over worked with it as slide over is extremely useful.

It does, however, do exactly what Apple is saying it will do.

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
It seems like the general vibe i get is that people try it, then decide to never use it again. Except for external monitor stuff. Anybody have it on and just…leave it on? And like it? I’m experimenting with leaving it on for a couple days and see if it drives me nuts
I multitask a considerable amount so it's really handy. I do wish you could resize apps freely like in ChromeOS (one of it's only good features) but that'd create a can of worms where apps would misbehave.

RLRabb

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2011
I leave it enabled on my 12.9” Pro, and I lke it. I like the ability to resize to different size classes depending on what I am working on/reading. I don’t use an external monitor, although i recently purchased a Studio Display for use with a new mac Mini, so maybe I’ll try that out just to sample it.

BaggieBoy

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2012
UK
Recently got a 11” M1 iPad Pro to replace an old 12.9” 1st gen iPad Pro and so had the chance to try Stage Manager for the first time. I like it and intend to keep it enabled.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
eh?
I disabled it after testing it. I have a very strong opinion against it. It's bad on the Mac and even worse on the iPad..It's not just me though...
No, you’re not alone. I don’t use it either unless I connect my iPad to an external display and Apple forces me to activate it. Absolutely hate it.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Yes. I really like it and leave it on.

Reactions: Kal Madda

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
I some times turn on Stage Manager. Recently I've been using it with Obsidian and Safari. Obsidian to write and sometimes using Safari to look up stuff in support of the writing.

rappr

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2007
I'm hoping iPadOS 17 will add a shortcut trigger to enable Stage Manager when docked in the Magic Keyboard or when a bluetooth keyboard and mouse are attached. I use it a lot with the Magic Keyboard. When I plug my iPad into an external monitor, I keep the iPad in touch multitasking mode while the external screen is in Stage Manager mode.

The "problem" Apple seemed to be trying to solve with Stage Manager on iPad is that people can lose track of their windows when they have too many open. Through that lens, the design decisions of Stage Manager makes sense, especially on the iPad screen itself. I'd like to see a little more window placement freedom on the external monitor.

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
I have. I prefer it over any previous window management in macOS. It comes in quite handy on my 27" iMac and 16" MacBook Pro. I tried turning it back off and couldn't deal with it as I had trained myself to use it as much as possible. The only part I don't like is sometimes you don't know which App it's going to bring up when you have several Apps open in one Space when switching over from another Space. I usually have three to four Spaces being used, but one primarily used for my most commonly used apps such as Safari, Mail, Quicken, Finder, etc.

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
Resizing on the fly has become an essential feature (that bottom right corner), as well as being able to switch from a fullscreen app without having to resort to silly gestures.

The "problem" Apple seemed to be trying to solve with Stage Manager on iPad is that people can lose track of their windows
Perhaps, but you absolutely do not have to use it for that. I can see all my windows just fine in the overview without Stage Manager. It allows for switching between windows faster, especially if you want to switch back and forth relatively often. Sure there are gestures too, but for example swiping left/right to go back and forth between apps you don't visually see what you'll be switching to, and that particular gesture is incredibly unreliable for me (to the point of being useless), and requires a relatively big hand movement.

The bottom right resize corner has the advantage that you can resize blindly (the "hitbox" for it is much bigger than the visual indicator) which works 100% of the time and it allows for a new way to, for example, switch from a fullscreen app to checking your e-mails real quick and back. Whilst still looking at the content you exit fullscreen mode with the corner, so even as you do the motion you can still see the content.

If you were to swipe up from the middle bottom to get the app overview it would require your right hand to move towards the middle of the iPad and then swipe up, blocking view of the content as well and requiring you to lift your right hand if that was holding the iPad on the side (when not docked of course). Instead of ending up in an app overview the resized app's content remains visible.

Depending on how I move the corner, I get only the dock, or I get only the left panel, or I can choose to get both. I can now open Mail from the dock, or from the left. Don't want the dock? You don't have to use it. Only use the dock and tap the icons there to switch between apps and not care about the left side panel? Works fine as well.

Overall this works more reliably for me and reduces the amount of movement with my hand, making it much more efficient than the gesture-based approach. I multi-task heavily with dozens of windows, without Stage Manager that's a miserable experience. Once you have to start scrolling in the app overview all efficiency has gone out the window anyways, I don't wanna scroll to find an app like I'm on a smartphone with a 6" display.

Panda King

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2020
I actually love it and use it about 95% of the time. I use 2 screens and I'm usually working in 3 or four programs plus the finder and it really helps keep things organized. I don't find my self getting lost in trash windows for 10 minutes every time I change tasks. It's been a real efficiency boost for me.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
No, you’re not alone. I don’t use it either unless I connect my iPad to an external display and Apple forces me to activate it. Absolutely hate it.
Forces you to activate it? As long as you don't pair the iPad with a keyboard and mouse while connected to an external display... Stage Manager won't show up.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Forces you to activate it? As long as you don't pair the iPad with a keyboard and mouse while connected to an external display... Stage Manager won't show up.
Exactly, that’s why I said, literally “(…) unless I connect my iPad to an external display and Apple forces me to activate it”. The external monitor experience is -sadly- built around Stage Manager.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Exactly, that’s why I said, literally “(…) unless I connect my iPad to an external display and Apple forces me to activate it”. The external monitor experience is -sadly- built around Stage Manager.
But it's the way you phrased it... "forces me to activate it." As if you have no control on whether or not its shown. And I'm confused... would you rather have the pillarbox style external monitor experience mirrored to the iPad?

I use it when I attach to a monitor. Not perfect but it works for me and I like it - huge improvement over simple mirroring.
Exactly! And that's what people are missing... it's not supposed to be perfect especially when the iPad never had a feature such as this.

I've yet see a feature debut where it's perfect out of the gate without any issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.