Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I was googling to find out if anyone found the 'stage manager' useful as I've been trying it for a few weeks on my MacBook 16" but switched it off today.

Specifically - it stops me from dragging files from Finder into an upload box in a web browser. Overall I found using it very much like not having it at all, except it hides apps you're not currently interacting with and presents them for you again when you want to use them with a flourish, making drag & drop between applications impossible.

I wonder - have I missed the point? It just seems to be eye candy that just stops me from doing some things I used to be able to do. I've not discovered anything new that it offers.

MacOS has a perfectly working window manager already so it doesn’t make much sense there.

On iPad, the only options are Split View and Stage Manager, and Stage Manager offers far more flexibility. The thing I appreciate most with Stage Manager is I can now open apps that force you to portrait mode in landscape via window mode.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
MacOS has a perfectly working window manager already so it doesn’t make much sense there.

On iPad, the only options are Split View and Stage Manager, and Stage Manager offers far more flexibility. The thing I appreciate most with Stage Manager is I can now open apps that force you to portrait mode in landscape via window mode.

Thanks for the heads-up on the "can now open apps that force you to portrait mode in landscape via window mode" - I hadn't tried that and it's nice to see that it works.

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
the problem with stage manager is some apps don't like to be in different window configurations and break. Oddly enough some websites stop working as well.

bscheffel

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
Always use Stage Manager on 12.9” iPad Pro and think it’s a step in the right direction. Never use stage manager on Mac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.