Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CADer

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2007
What exactly is the purpose of the bluetooth connectivity between the stylus and the iPad?

Not sure but I think it is to add buttons tot eh stylus and simulated pressure sensitivity, but again not sure as this one doesn't have it.

CADer

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2007
So after powering down the stylus and trying again just now it worked good for text. I decided to draw also, and the black lines on the soccer ball are intended to be straight, even drew some with straight edge. But it does make for some nifty random art...
I do think the battery is low as the writing degraded also after having it on for a few mins.

I will play more with a fresh energizer battery not the names less ones included in the package.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389834420.659446.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389834432.455573.jpg

brianbunge

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Kennesaw, GA
On my jot script the bluetooth add a feature to use the button for a preset feature. I have my setup to "undo".

Also the bluetooth adds the feature to ignore my palm when using the stylus so that I don't get marks all over when writing.

OK, that's what I thought. Now I just need to decide what app to use. I've got a lot of stuff in Notability so I'd love to use that app, but I guess I could switch going forward. I really need to the palm rejection feature since I'm a lefty and really need to be able to place my hand on the screen in order to write.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
OK, that's what I thought. Now I just need to decide what app to use. I've got a lot of stuff in Notability so I'd love to use that app, but I guess I could switch going forward. I really need to the palm rejection feature since I'm a lefty and really need to be able to place my hand on the screen in order to write.

I wish I could have tested both the jot script and the apex. I think the jot script is great with goodnotes, but would have like to try apex as well but they are too expensive to buy both.

CADer

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2007
I wish I could have tested both the jot script and the apex. I think the jot script is great with goodnotes, but would have like to try apex as well but they are too expensive to buy both.

They are really two different styli, styluses...my whole deal was Jot was too expensive for the little I use a stylus and only worked with supported apps. Apex works anywhere with anything, it may be rough right now but it has only be out for a few days.

Cptnodegard

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2013
TJot was too expensive for the little I use a stylus and only worked with supported apps

Well, that's not true.... The Script works with any app, heck, any capacitive screen device. It might be off center in those apps/devices, and you won't have features that require the SDK, i.e. accuracy improvement, palm rejection, and button functionality. On my iPad mini 2 the Script is inaccurate in portrait mode if using unsupported apps, but dead on accurate in landscape mode. In fact my primary use for it is in an app that doesn't have any Jot integration whatsoever, and I've used it for dozens of hours in that app.

CADer

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2007
Well, that's not true.... The Script works with any app, heck, any capacitive screen device. It might be off center in those apps/devices, and you won't have features that require the SDK, i.e. accuracy improvement, palm rejection, and button functionality. On my iPad mini 2 the Script is inaccurate in portrait mode if using unsupported apps, but dead on accurate in landscape mode. In fact my primary use for it is in an app that doesn't have any Jot integration whatsoever, and I've used it for dozens of hours in that app.

That's kinda what I meant. The jot works but not ideally with everything while the Apex was shooting for the goal of working everywhere no API required. I love the idea of the jot as I am more an artist than writing, how does it do for drawing? I think they are both advertised/marketed as writing stylus but am unsure for the Jot.

CADer

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2007
The Apex just needed new battery. Writing seams to be pretty good when the battery is good.

Sorry about all the lame screenshots but yeah. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389845895.967602.jpg

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Noteshelf and Notability

Not sure how you can stand the graininess of Noteshelf...

View attachment 456589 View attachment 456590

Is this text done writing at full page or with the zoom box or other form of zoom? If it's done full page, as there is no bluetooth connection, do you have to write while keeping your palm off the screen?

Pretty bad news if the battery is already dead. My Script just used up the first battery after over 5 weeks of daily use, and it uses a common AAA rather than a specialized AAAA.

CADer

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2007
All the text is done at zoom. Most apps have palm rejection implementation some better than others but I use the zoom box for text as I am used to it. I just put a fresh energizer in today and will see how long it lasts.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Thanks. I'm mostly interested in whether the stylus can write accurately at full screen with no zoom. The only stylus I've found so far that can do this reasonably is the Jot Touch. Do report back on the battery life.

Have you tried the Touch for drawing? It seems like it'd be a good one - pressure sensitivity, very accurate, passes the straight diagonal line test better than any of your other examples, etc.

CADer

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2007
I haven't used the touch, but have used the Jot Pro. And overall wasn't fond of grinding a hard disc against my screen, not that the disc would do a ton of damage but if the screen had dust on it then it would be grinding the particles into it.

I will try without he zoom box with the fresh battery.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
@ CADer
Thanks for sharing your screens and findings, all very interesting.
The one thing I dislike most about Notes Plus is the constant flicker of the text. It stops after you lift your stylus, but while writing it can be very annoying. INKredible has it too, I saw it.
As for the Noteshelf graininess, I have no complaints - but I use 1pt and 2pt line width only.

CADer

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2007
@GerritV agreed the flickering is a deal breaker. I think it comes down to the core oft he apps, Notability and Notes plus use vector algorithms to product the inking which allow for scaling, great feature in Notability, most apps have the scissors icon to cut the ink and move it, but Notability lets you scale that up and down without loosing quality as it is vector based, not sure about Notes Plus it is the only notes app I don't own.

CADer

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2007
Anyone backed the TruGlide Apex stylus?

No zoom box.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389899721.183876.jpg

And compared to the Bamboo in Green

y2ajy2u4.jpg

Last edited:

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
I would be interest in your thought on the TruGlide as it is made by the same company as the Apex yet uses microfiber instead of rubber, I think I used one of these and hated it but it might have been a cheap knockoff.

Without hijacking the thread, I don't like the TruGlide Pro. I have to 'mash' the microfiber tip in order for it to register on my rMini.

yazounet

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2014
So in the end, which of the styli would you prefer for taking notes and annotating pdfs?
I am about to buy one but now I am more confused :)

amrtat71

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2013
khz
So in the end, which of the styli would you prefer for taking notes and annotating pdfs?

me too:rolleyes:
best stylus for writing:confused::confused:
please make a video and comparison between different stylus
thanks alot

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005

me too:rolleyes:
best stylus for writing:confused::confused:
please make a video and comparison between different stylus
thanks alot

The user here iChe makes great youtube videos that you should check out. For his notetaking and writing, he prefers the Jot Script at this point. I do as well with a few caveats where I think the Jot Touch is better - the Touch is more precise, can draw straight diagonal lines, and as a result, can write passable small text without zooming.

This is his most recent video comparing the Script to a new stylus that looks an awful lot like the TrueGlide Apex.

Johnny Steps

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
Has anyone seen anything about this pen? It was at CES with the apex and apparently outperformed it according to ilounge... I really just want a stylus for taking good notes in class and it seems like theres no perfect solution

http://www.thejoyfactory.com/product/bcu201

That's probably going to work the same way as all these other pin-point styluses. I've gotta say if you have to get one of those... the jot script is the better choice.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Has anyone seen anything about this pen? It was at CES with the apex and apparently outperformed it according to ilounge... I really just want a stylus for taking good notes in class and it seems like theres no perfect solution

http://www.thejoyfactory.com/product/bcu201

It looks to be another clone of the Apex and I wouldn't expect significantly different performance. Looks like either the Apex is being sold re-branded either intentionally or through the grey market.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.