Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

royinla14

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
I had the AP1, AP2 and AP pro. Recently the pro have this rattling sound when listening in high volume so wondering if I should get the AP3 vs. new pro? From what I read the only difference is the ANC (which I am not using really or care about) and the fact there is no silicone tips (which again I used to see as the Pro added value but I kind liked the no-tips feeling in ear). Anyone else thinking of moving to AP3?

G35flyer

macrumors regular
May 19, 2012
I downgraded from the AirPods Pro to the AP2 awhile back. The AirPods Pro put too much pressure on my eardrum…I already have ear issues with flying and high altitudes anyway. I am exited about the AP3, longer battery life, smaller form factor, MagSafe Charging and Spatial audio.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Hmm,

I have AirPod Pro's and I use them sometimes

got non-wireless charging Airpods2 for $99 earlier this year...

Been wanting AirPods 3 to come out, but I'm not sure. May wait for a sale and for AirPods 2 battery to fry first.

My AirPods 1 dont last terribly long anymore. THat's why I got AirPods 2 to replace them earlier.

Pro and Regular AirPods have their uses but I think AirPods is a better all rounder

Reactions: BigMcGuire

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
I need them both. I use my AirPods Pro’s when I mow the lawn, exercise, or travel via airplane. But I hate wearing the silicone tips for more than 45 minutes so I usually use my AirPods 2’s. Now I’m going to start wearing my AirPods 3’s as my daily use AirPods.

Norre8

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2018
Yep, hate the pressure of the AirPod Pros. Would love to sell for $80-$90

Luis0180

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2020
Madrid
Thinking about it too cause I hate silicone tips and actually loved my old regular Airpods. Is there any other feature a part from ANC that we may lose with the downgrade?

kenni417

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2019
Ontario, Canada
i went back to AP2 last year from the ap pro. they caused an allergic reaction to my ear canals and i had to stop wearing them. annoying as hell. looking forward to the ap3.

blaugrana69

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
Won’t fit in My ears without the sillicone tips. Looks like I’ll be looking for another pair of the current pros when my existing ones “die” on the assumption that any future model of the Pros drop the tips too.

tonie walker

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2020
worldwide
Won’t fit in My ears without the sillicone tips. Looks like I’ll be looking for another pair of the current pros when my existing ones “die” on the assumption that any future model of the Pros drop the tips too.
tried the crackling service program? you might yours replaced, that’s equivalent to a new one, if you have that issue

Reactions: KayEm6419

TopToffee

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
in a roundabout way, yes.

Bought Pros in the summer but couldn’t get on with the silicone tips and ANC at all. I get the same sort of closed in/echoey/vibrationy feeling others have described.

Wife ended up inheriting them. So I’ll be downgrading from APPs to AP3s via my wife’s AP1s

bigshot

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2021
Not I. I really like the AirPods Pro. No problem wearing them for a couple-a few hours at a time. There is no pressure caused by the noise cancellation. If I didn't have the noise cancellation pushing the noise floor down, I would have to raise the volume and risk damaging my hearing in loud environments. There are third party tips that are better than the stock ones for some people. The seal is what gets you the great sound and noise cancellation. If you don't have a good seal, they don't work right.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
i went back to AP2 last year from the ap pro.

Same. I've tried all the silicone tip sizes and even 3rd party foam tips. Alas, either it's too loose or there's too much pressure in my ears so ended up getting the AP2 instead.

I preordered the AP3 and will give my mom the AP2 to replace her dead AP1.

Reactions: kenni417
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.