Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jared52

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2010
Technically I'm downgrading. I bought AP2 and they have been good. Bought APP and realized after wearing them for 20-30 min, I wanted to rip my ears off my head. No matter which tip i used, my ears hurt so bad after 20 min. Something with how the bulb rested on my ear I guess. I gave those to my wife and went back to my AP2. Those are starting to show battery life issues. I am hoping the AP3 are a tad bit louder as well.

Reactions: johnyslats

shady16

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2019
so will the AP3 sound better or the same as APP? on the fence here as i have no issues with the fit of the pros

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
Won’t fit in My ears without the sillicone tips. Looks like I’ll be looking for another pair of the current pros when my existing ones “die” on the assumption that any future model of the Pros drop the tips too.
It's not likely the Pros will drop the tips. They're necessary to create a seal for ANC. Rumor is they're dropping the stem. Also regular AirPods never had tips so the 'dropping the tips too' comment is confusing. Nothing has been dropped.

Reactions: sfrangu and usagora

Taco1933

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2014
so will the AP3 sound better or the same as APP? on the fence here as i have no issues with the fit of the pros

Different. An open design can't deliver the same bass as closed. It can't give you any ANC. So it's going to be a very different experience, and no amount of model updates will change that. What you prefer is really up to you. I would think that out people that are happy with the pros would be better off waiting on the pro 2's.

Reactions: sfrangu and secretk

crodonline

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2018
Chicago, IL
I’m thinking about it. My APPs are crackling but I’ve never liked how the tips feel. ANC is okay, but it doesn’t reduce the noise someone else hears on a call anyway so it probably won’t be a big deal to downgrade.

aeamratlal

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I have had Ap1, Ap2, APP, and I have just ordered AP3. I picked up the APP last November when I got my MacBook Pro. I have been pretty happy with all of them. But I have been WFH since the start of the pandemic and I feel like it’s been hard on both my AP2 and my APPs. First the mic on my AP2 stopped working so even though I could hear people, they couldn’t hear me. I tend to take my Webex/Zoom meetings on my iPad. But now the APPs don’t always connect, which is highly irritating. I have found both to be reasonably comfortable but preferred the AP2 for working out and running as they never fell out. Long story short: I like both, am looking forward to getting the AP3 but may also want another pair of APP in the future. But longevity is an issue. I’ve been sort of tempted by the AP Max but can’t wrap my head around the cost.

Reactions: sfrangu

MiloCody

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2021
Same. I've tried all the silicone tip sizes and even 3rd party foam tips. Alas, either it's too loose or there's too much pressure in my ears so ended up getting the AP2 instead.

I preordered the AP3 and will give my mom the AP2 to replace her dead AP1.
Have you tried AirFoams Pro Active? It's not just foam, it's both. Been working better than silicone tips.

I'm getting the AirPods 3 too and I want to compare how both sound to each other and with my old AP1!

Reactions: aeamratlal

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
AP3 is exactly what I’ve been waiting for. AirPods classic earbud style and smaller case + AirPods Pro features like Spatial Audio, shorter stem and button. The only problem is that I can’t justify upgrading when my Gen1 AirPods still have amazing battery life.

Reactions: aeamratlal

holycow

macrumors member
May 28, 2006
Yeah, considering it. I like the sound from the pros and even got custom foam tips, but with any kind of activity they eventually fall out of my ears. I still have AP1s that don't give me this problem and I tend to use more just because I hate constantly having to push the pros back in.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Technically, no but yes at the same time. I bought AirPods Pro and used them for about a month before deciding I preferred the fit of my AP1 so I sold the Pros to a friend for $100. I've got AP3 on the way to replace my originals.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Smoovejayy

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2012
I’m downgrading from AirPods Pro to AirPods 3. The in-ear silicone tips give me an ear infection. I only got them for ANC but now… I will part ways with that feature if it means no in-ear for me. Plus they get annoying when I have to constantly push them back into my ear. I just replaced mine through AppleCare and will sell them for $180.

weeesss

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2017
I can run with the APP's in but keep adjusting them, so I now use Aftershokz Aeropex for running and biking. APP's for bed, walking dogs and such.

magicone

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2015
I ordered the Airpod 3rd gen as soon as they were announced. I have not got on with my Airpod pro's at all as I cannot get a reliable fit inside my ears even trying different foam tips. I much prefer the fit of the Airpods.

antisomnic

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2012
Rochester, NY
I am considering doing so. Looks like they're almost comparable.I was actually wondering what people thought

My AirPods Pro have been missing for a couple of months now and have to accept I'm not going to find them. I like the idea that I can get almost the same thing for a lot less. The only thing that concerns me is that previous iterations of the AirPods would not stay in my ear, fell out very easily. The Pros stayed in my ear because of the seal from what I assume was the silicone ear tips. Don't know if because of the similar shape of these that they'll stay in my ear even without silicone.

Probably too early to ask because they aren't in people's hands yet.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Since the Airpods 3rd Gen does not have ANC and Transparancy mode, I will not get. Those two are a must for me.

There are times it's necessary, and times it's not. Working out? Oh, yeah, pretty much necessary. The technology does a great job silencing the fans, creaking, and popping, and grunting too. Riding and walking outside? ANC could be a great danger, silencing noises you need to hear. (But I've ridden my bike up to people whose 'music' I can hear nearly 4 feet away! :oops:)

I just keep looking for 'The Perfect Fit'. The quest continues. (The Beats Studio Buds I have commented on many times here, and elsewhere, fit pretty well, but they do rotate in my ears over time. (The right one clockwise, the left anticlockwise) and I've stopped the right one from jumping for freedom a couple of times. I feel somewhat disappointed that the new version of them has 'wings' to keep them from rotating. *sigh*)

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
No need for tape. There’s tons of ear wing add-ons that hold the APs in place and they never budge.

Hmm... I remember Worst Try selling an Ear Pod Accessory Kit, that had 'slip-on wings' for the second gen corded ear pods. In concept they were a great idea, but in practice, they failed. I ended up with the 'wing' in my ear, and the ear pod dangling around below my waist. Sometimes the wings ended up trapped, useless, on the cord. Great idea, bad execution. Either that, or I'm just expecting too much from Worst Try bespoke trinkets. I'd hope any new add-ons would be more usable. But I'll look around.

One of my favorite Van Halen pictures is of Alex, during a concert, grinning like a felon with his headphones DUCT TAPED TO HIS HEAD! They couldn't find any other way to keep them on his head. Nothing else worked. It's just a funny picture. And they used A LOT of tape... OUCH! ??

Reactions: sfrangu

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
APP fits me well only with third party foam tips, but the battery is not that great. Will definitely purchase the AP3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.