Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your s4 screen affected by vertical line issue or uneven tint display?

• Yes

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • No

Votes: 21 48.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
I’m surprised this issue isn’t being talked about here. Basically, a lot of people on Reddit have noticed that their series 4 models have uneven screens where one side looks brighter than the other. My series 4 is also affected by this. :(

Here’s one such thread (there are quite a few though) in case you’re interested, which also has a link to an image to test if you’re affected by it in one of the comments: https://www.reddit.com/r/AppleWatch...ced_their_watch_with/?st=JN63EKX0&sh=b74008d1

I can’t reproduce this on my series 3, so this is definitely a problem with series 4, probably exclusively.

Anyone else affected by this? Keep in mind that a pure black background makes it impossible to see (since the pixels are off).

Many people mistakingly believe they don’t have it: you need an image that forces the pixels to activate, like a dark gray one, to see it. I noticed it in particular when getting directions; the left side looked brighter than the right.

Last edited:

Vegaspilot

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2010
First SBSS had a much lighter left screen edge that was noticeable on grey and other colored screens. With that and a screen not flush with the case I returned and managed to rebuy later the same day. New one has no issues.

Reactions: viperGTS

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
I’m surprised this issue isn’t being talked about here. Basically, a lot of people on Reddit have noticed that their series 4 models have uneven screens where one side looks brighter than the other. My series 4 is also affected by this. :(

Here’s one such thread (there are quite a few though) in case you’re interested, which also has a link to an image to test if you’re affected by it in one of the comments: https://www.reddit.com/r/AppleWatch...ced_their_watch_with/?st=JN63EKX0&sh=b74008d1

I can’t reproduce this on my series 3, so this is definitely a problem with series 4, probably exclusively.

Anyone else affected by this?

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/series-4-defects-thread.2146496/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/display-bleed.2146691/

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
First SBSS had a much lighter left screen edge that was noticeable on grey and other colored screens. With that and a screen not flush with the case I returned and managed to rebuy later the same day. New one has no issues.

Ah, it’s good to know your replacement had no issues. So there does exist good screens!

Perfect, I’m glad there are threads on this! The one specifically about screen bleed hasn’t had activity since Wednesday though. I want to use this thread to see if others are affected by it too, without bumping that one.

Last edited:

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
Negative. S4 SS, perfect display.
Did you test with the image from Reddit? Just want to make sure you’re not checking with an absolutely pure black photo. Displays will appear perfect with those even when they aren’t (this includes most watch faces).

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Ah, it’s good to know your replacement had no issues. So there does exist good screens!

Perfect, I’m glad there are threads on this! The one specifically about screen bleed hasn’t had activity since Wednesday though. I want to use this thread to see if others are affected by it too, without bumping that one.

Create a new thread about something that already has a thread, as opposed to contributing to the existing thread ..... OK gotcha :confused:

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Did you test with the image from Reddit? Just want to make sure you’re not checking with an absolutely pure black photo. Displays will appear perfect with those even when they aren’t (this includes most watch faces).

Done. In total darkness, I can see the edges are very, very slightly lighter than the rest of the display. It's undetectable in any normal conditions, even dim light. Since the image is essentially dark gray to start with, rather than black, I will say that the display is for all practical purposes perfect.

Balders

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2008
UK
I returned my AW4 SS a week ago for this reason and also a very odd cross effect on the screen, looked a lot like screen burn from something having been shown on the screen for a while and damaged the OLED pixels. It was like that from new... Fingers crossed the replacement, which arrives Monday, will be better. Had a bad run on Apple screens lately... :(

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
So I need to view a color I never want to see, in a lighting situation I almost never use, to see a problem I have no interest in encountering? Am I missing something?

I mentioned this in another thread, but this is why most consumers who don’t frequent a tech forum, will never have any inclination to search for a defect that they have to go through multiple steps to do so. It’s not worth trying to find something wrong, unless_ it blatantly stands out, which Apple then will rectify/address.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
It’s like you didn’t even bother to read the part of my post where I said I tested it against a series 3. :rolleyes:

@Balders thank you for your input. Hopefully your new screen is great!
So you’re stirring crap about an issue that doesn’t affect you, and started a new thread even though you knew there were existing threads.

I hope you have received the attention you were seeking.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
So you’re stirring crap about an issue that doesn’t affect you, and started a new thread even though you knew there were existing threads.

I hope you have received the attention you were seeking.

Learn to read, I clearly said the issue affected me.

I'm not trying to seek attention to myself, but rather the issue, with this post.

Sandoop

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2018
Some pictures of my SS S4 which I purchased yesterday in Munich/Germany.
https://imgur.com/a/n7CSuDs
Both images witch watch screen turned off and increased the brightness using the crown.
The uneven screen on the Kaleidoskope one doesn't really bother me, even though I'm usually the one that finds such things most annoying.
Second image with the black background seems to be worse on camera as irl, just as reference for the others with the black background in a dark room.

I thought about returning it, but how likely is it to get a better screen if currently a lot seem to have this issue?
Waiting a few weeks till they have adjusted their manufacturing stuff and be able to exchange it within a few days seems to be the best idea to me (If i remember it then).

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
My 44mm AW4 LTE has worked without a flaw. I have no desire to find defects and as long as it works and looks perfect to me I am not going to worry.

I am so glad I am not like others who are freaking out trying to find something wrong with their devices

Stop being so normal! You have to try all sorts of tests first to see if you can find any possible issue that you will otherwise never see! It is the only way to be productive and know you got a good device!

Reactions: Newtons Apple

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
Some pictures of my SS S4 which I purchased yesterday in Munich/Germany.
https://imgur.com/a/n7CSuDs
Both images witch watch screen turned off and increased the brightness using the crown.
The uneven screen on the Kaleidoskope one doesn't really bother me, even though I'm usually the one that finds such things most annoying.
Second image with the black background seems to be worse on camera as irl, just as reference for the others with the black background in a dark room.

I thought about returning it, but how likely is it to get a better screen if currently a lot seem to have this issue?
Waiting a few weeks till they have adjusted their manufacturing stuff and be able to exchange it within a few days seems to be the best idea to me (If i remember it then).

That looks awful. I've been hearing reports on Reddit that good screens are out there. Might be best to wait a bit and see if the issue clears with newer models from the assembly line.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
That looks awful. I've been hearing reports on Reddit that good screens are out there. Might be best to wait a bit and see if the issue clears with newer models from the assembly line.

I suspect there are more than enough good screens out there. The reality is, the majority will never notice what others do On here , or even go to the extent of trying to reproduce some of these tests to see if their display is -un-uniform. I have also read where other members are learning to actually just enjoy the watch and not worry about their display Being uneven. Unless it’s drastically to the point where it’s distracting, then of course by all means, Apple should be aware of it.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I tried my best to find a flaw on my series 4 screen but couldn’t see anything. Black is pitch black and white is glaring white.

Reactions: Newtons Apple
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.